HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's the deal with Brewer?

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 04:51 AM
Leaf Army

vCash: 500
What's the deal with Brewer?

What's going on with Eric Brewer. I've always liked this guy.

Last year, he was your go-to guy back there. He was your #1 guy even strength and on special teams. I thought he had a pretty good year.

This year, he's on the 2nd PP behind Staios and Bergeron and he hardly plays on PK. He's got the worst +/- of any defenceman on the team and the 2nd fewest points behind Ferguson.

I don't mean this as a bash against Brewer because, like I said, I really like the guy. I'm just curious as to what's going on. Thanks.

Old
11-07-2003, 04:56 AM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army

Last year, he was your go-to guy back there. He was your #1 guy even strength and on special teams. I thought he had a pretty good year.

This year, he's on the 2nd PP behind Staios and Bergeron and he hardly plays on PK. He's got the worst +/- of any defenceman on the team and the 2nd fewest points behind Ferguson.

I don't mean this as a bash against Brewer because, like I said, I really like the guy. I'm just curious as to what's going on. Thanks.
He's going through a big slump...kindda like Salo. But the past few games the seem to have turned it around, I know watching the game against the Sens, Brewer looked way better, he seemed to pick the right time to pinch.

GXL

Old
11-07-2003, 05:08 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army

Alot of people have differing opinions.

Some feel he still has alot of potential. Some feel he's pretty close to his ceiling and feel he's a waste of time. Some (me) feel he has a serious depth perception problem.

But the majority seem to feel he's going to be a superstar......some day. .

You see, he can skate like the wind while making it look effortless. Apparently this is the pre-requisite around here to being a well-rounded defenseman.

Oh yeah. He knows how to hit. He used to do it all the time 2 seasons ago.

Had his BEST outing of the season last night, I guess.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:11 AM
ZIM

vCash:
When it rains it pours. Last night against Ottawa after a giveaway up the middle Ferarro went on and on about the bad play Brewer made. Cross actually made the play.

I thought Brewer played his best game in a while. Now if only he'd use his defensive partner more effectively, like passing him the puck. Brewer passes less to his partner than any other defenseman,preferring to dump the puck along the boards.

I'm hoping Ottawa was the beginning.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:19 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
When it rains it pours. Last night against Ottawa after a giveaway up the middle Ferarro went on and on about the bad play Brewer made. Cross actually made the play.
I think I remember that play. It was near the end of the 1st period.

The play looked SO Brewer-esque that I initially thought it was Brewer also.

Turns out it was Cross who made a RARE bad decision with the puck for a change. So yes, Cross makes mistakes out there too.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:29 AM
Mr Sakich

brewer is a young defenseman and they make a lot of mistakes. This year, those mistakes have ended up behind tommy.

This is why big market teams like toronto rarely develop young dmen. The media attention crushes their confidence because every young dman makes mistakes.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:37 AM
gretzky2kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
brewer is a young defenseman and they make a lot of mistakes. This year, those mistakes have ended up behind tommy.

This is why big market teams like toronto rarely develop young dmen. The media attention crushes their confidence because every young dman makes mistakes.
That's right I keep forgetting......he's still young.

It's easy to get the impression he is not young because he's been in the NHL for parts of 6 seasons and played 340 NHL games...........with an overall +/- of -29.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:40 AM
Leaf Army

Well it's too bad that Brewer's in a slump, but there's no doubt he'll break out of it sooner or later. Hopefully after Saturday's game though.

But I guess what surprises me the most is how much his ice-time has been cut back. Especially on special teams.

It's strange that last year he was your #1 guy in all situations and this year he's already fallen to #3 or #4. It seemed to happen rather quickly.

Closed Thread