HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do the habs need a "Superstar player" and if so what would you trade for him?

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 06:32 PM
Habs4Life

vCash: 666
Do the habs need a "Superstar player" and if so what would you trade for him?

This is a thread that i thought would be fun for everyone...

If you think Montreal needs a superstar player, who would be the player and what would you trade for him??

Ottawa: Marian Hossa

Montreal: Saku Koivu, Richard Zednik, 1st rounder in 2004

Old
11-06-2003, 08:13 PM
HABitude

vCash: 500
I had arguments last summer about that and I'm getting tired of repeating the same thing. Last summer a superstar player who is named Sergei Fedorov (I think) was available just for money. No players involved in a trade. We keep Zed, Sak, Sour, Theo, we keep everybody and we add Sergei.
Oh, just $8M us. Wow, what a huge price !!
Really?
Having Sergei in Hab jersey = Habs make PO 90% sure, wich helps a lot to pay his salary
Having Sergei in Hab jersey = what a great show to watch
Having Sergei in Hab jersey = good example for Perezhogin and Katsytsin to follow

But 90% people of this board were not agree to acquire Sergei. He cost too much, and a superstar prima-dona à la Fedorov is not welcome here. Not good for team spirit. (_____!!) There is even a poster who said Fedorov would take off pressure from Koivu's shoulder while Sergei would play second center. That one made my day, and my week, and my month.

So Sergei is playing in Anaheim and we keep losing.

This thread should be closed. We don't want a superstar in Montreal.

You want to see a superstar wearing Habs jersey? Take a look at my avatar, this is the last superstar ever wearing Habs jersey.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:15 PM
Tricolore#20

I think we already have one in Jose Theodore... If we can build the right kind of team around him, we'll be alright.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:26 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I think we already have one in Jose Theodore... If we can build the right kind of team around him, we'll be alright.
You put Jose Theodore in the same class as Flower Lafleur?

Geez, I like Theo but wait 10 years before posting something like that. There is a ton of goalies like Theo in the league, ex: Brodeur, Giguere, Denis, Biron, Turcot, the list goes on.

Lafleur was God. Unique. Spectacular, Superstar.

But I agree we can build around Theo a winning team. Goalies are the key of success in today's hockey. Secondly we need a strong big skilled center. Our future in D looks good. Prospects wingers looks okay too.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Yes We Need A Superstar!!
ALEXANDER OVECHKIN !!!!

Old
11-06-2003, 08:43 PM
HABitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekanec
Even if a superstar join our team... It does'nt assure us a place in the playoffs!

What is more important first and one is get rid of our garbage... Our bad veterans who hurt the team...

Once you do that you can have a better idea of what your team looks like and then think about trade for improve it...
So you think by getting rid of our garbage the diamond will appears poouf like that like magic? Fedorov was a diamond available and we passed our turn. Sorry, the Canadiens Team will keep on mediocrity, now we are 75% of not making the PO. Teams who make the PO have a good first center. We don't. Our best center is always injured. 3 big knee surgeries in his carreer. Don't you think it's about time to find a “solution de rechange” ?

If the young inexperimented kids are in the rink facing warriors like a Philly team they will choke, their confidence will die. Okay, get rid of Juneau, Audette, Dackell, Perreault BUT put a superstar to take the pression. Fedorov can carry 75% of the offensive game by himself. A line with Bulis-Fedorov-Zednik would be fast and furious. Then you have the second line of Ribeiro-Koivu-Ryder. Then you may have Higgins centering the third line and Bégin the fourth.

Now If Bob wants to get Hossa or any quality first center, the price will be so high that any deal would cost too much. Fedorov was available and cheap. And I was the idiot of this board last summer and I see everybody crying because this team sucks.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:48 PM
HABitude

Quote:

Imagine these lines:

Kastsitsyn Fedorov Perezhogin
When I get to sleep and I start dreaming, I imagine that same first line.

Wow, what a dream !!

I just hope Fedorov will be available in 1 year.
... maybe last summer was the right timing to get him, after it's too late.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
Errrr... I'd have to disagree. He might be a pop culture icon now a days, but I don't consider him a hockey "superstar"... he needs to put up some better numbers *consistently* to warrant that.

But anyways, to answer the thread topic, I don't think Montreal needs to go out shopping for a star player, because it would cost too much. They just need more effort.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Kirk Muller

Superstars are nice, they are a luxury, but are not a pre requisite to winning. I don't know if there is a single guy in this league who could get Montreal into the playoffs this year or make them a contender. Winning teams are made up with winners, not just one or two of them.

I am more interested in Montreal finding talented players, not necessarily superstar or even star talent, who have hearts of winners. Guys like Mike Fisher, Ethan Moreau, Craig Conroy, and Brendan Morrow. None are exceptional talents like Jagr or half the Ranger roster, but all have heart and soul, players who will sacrifice to win. That is what makes a contender.

Teams like Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, Ottawa etc are successful because their so called Superstars are backed up with these kinds of guys. Why do you think one of Andre Savards biggest reason for drafting guys was character. That is why he drafted guys like Higgins, Perezhogin and Komisarek. Even Kastsitsyn is known for playing the game with a passion. He knew this team lacked character, but he was buying time with these guys until the future was ready, and if a Superstar emerged, well all the better.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:54 PM
Dr.Strangelove91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
I had arguments last summer about that and I'm getting tired of repeating the same thing. Last summer a superstar player who is named Sergei Fedorov (I think) was available just for money. No players involved in a trade. We keep Zed, Sak, Sour, Theo, we keep everybody and we add Sergei.
Oh, just $8M us. Wow, what a huge price !!
Really?
Having Sergei in Hab jersey = Habs make PO 90% sure, wich helps a lot to pay his salary
Having Sergei in Hab jersey = what a great show to watch
Having Sergei in Hab jersey = good example for Perezhogin and Katsytsin to follow

But 90% people of this board were not agree to acquire Sergei. He cost too much, and a superstar prima-dona à la Fedorov is not welcome here. Not good for team spirit. (_____!!) There is even a poster who said Fedorov would take off pressure from Koivu's shoulder while Sergei would play second center. That one made my day, and my week, and my month.

So Sergei is playing in Anaheim and we keep losing.

This thread should be closed. We don't want a superstar in Montreal.

You want to see a superstar wearing Habs jersey? Take a look at my avatar, this is the last superstar ever wearing Habs jersey.

It's been about 10 years since I've dreamed of the day someone that goes by the name of Fedorov would wear the number 91 on the montreal jersey. Damn, that day will never come. Oh wait, maybe we can trade for Fedor Fedorov and ask him to wear the 91. I'd be the happiest of man. For one game...

Old
11-06-2003, 08:55 PM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Imagine these lines:
Kastsitsyn Fedorov Perezhogin
All I can imagine is their broken bodies laying on the ice because some 6'4 defensemen decided to use a thing called a "bodycheck".

That line might work in Europe, but on these tiny ice surfaces there's not enough room for those three together. They will be severely brutalized.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbeliefs
All I can imagine is their broken bodies laying on the ice because some 6'4 defensemen decided to use a thing called a "bodycheck".

That line might work in Europe, but on these tiny ice surfaces there's not enough room for those three together. They will be severely brutalized.
And the pure and utter fact that we wouldn't see the line combination unless Fedorov was signed for 5 years.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:50 PM
Wildbeliefs

Quote:
Size for size, this post prove that yours is pointless!
You know, I'm a little too tired right now to reply to this.. maybe tommorow.

But, just to let you know, you don't have any right to be rude. My post might seem "pointless" to you, but I don't really care what you think... I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are to yours.

On this I bid you a good night.

Old
11-07-2003, 03:44 AM
HABitude

Quote:

Is this is the most ridiculous post of the year?
And what about Ottawa's first line?
Can someone post their size/and weight?

...anyway having Fedorov 1rst center would be an upgrade in size, weight and speed over Saku Koivu. Not agree on this one???

Old
11-07-2003, 03:49 AM
Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Superstars are nice, they are a luxury, but are not a pre requisite to winning. I don't know if there is a single guy in this league who could get Montreal into the playoffs this year or make them a contender. Winning teams are made up with winners, not just one or two of them.
While I'll agree that a superstart won't necessarily get us into the playoffs, we're never going to win a Cup without one.

Take a look at the Cup winners for the last 10, 15 even 20 years. Almost without exception, every team had a superstar player. Supporting players are also essential, but if they don't have a Sakic, Brodeur or Yzerman to support they aren't going to win it all..

Old
11-07-2003, 04:37 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitude
Here here!!! Ofcourse, as much as some guys might not like him lately, you forgot Roy. But I am not his greatest fan either.

But....Wildbeleafs here mentioned that Federov needs to put up consistant numbers to be considered a superstar player.
Has anyone looked at Federov's stats, he is a model of consistancy. Dang! He can play any kind of game that you want, defensive (he won trophies for that!), offensive (he has over 100 goals in the past three seasons), he can skate like no one else in the game and has a shot that can go through a wall (he won the all star competition).

What more do you need to be considered a super star?

I would have loved this guy in a Habs jersey and apparently, so would his dad. BTW, he kinda reminds me of Lafleur when he skates down the right side.....

To answer the poll question, we have nothing that could be considered trade bait to get a superstar. Maybe Theo, but he will need to put up good stats this year, and there is no current market for goalies.

Bottom line.....forget the super star thing for a good while.

Old
11-07-2003, 04:49 AM
Darz

I don't believe we need a superstar to be successful. What we need is our prospects to turn out and the patience to wait for that to happen.
If Perezhogin and Kastitsyn can become top 6 forwards (and Higgins becomes a good top 6-9) and Komisarek and Hainsey can become top 4 defensemen I beleive we will be just fine. Now if the prospects don't pan out, we could be in for a longer haul.
To win Stanley Cups you need more than anything a good goalie, or a goalie who can get hot enough for 4 rounds and hold you in every game. I still believe that Theodore can do that for us. If we could ice a solid d unit night in and night out that would help alot. You also need a forward group that can suceed regardless of what kind of game is being played. A good balance of scoring and defensive responsiblity can accomplish this.

Old
11-07-2003, 04:59 AM
Habs4ever

Best solution for habs to bring Superstar is through Free agency!!

Just look at Dallas They keep on getting better without sacrificing talent with free agency, and superstar over the age of 25 cost big money any ways Eg. Iginla makes $7.5 M per season, we could easily add extra $2 M and get similar talent with little more experience without trading any assets. And thats the only way we can bring Contender in Montreal, BG can't possibly trade any prospects because superstars sometime become crap after changing team a la Jagr so only go for it if its something like Kovalev deal rangers got otherwise stay away from them.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:02 AM
mcphee

Free agency can become a Catch22 situation. The good free agents want to go to good teams. if the lower echelon teams don't attract these players, how do they get to be good teams ? Well you can overpay like the Rangers do,but we know how well that works. Federov is a nice dream, but he left a good situation in Detroit because he wanted to go to a specific place [and climate]. He said all the right things about his father being a Habs fan but I doubt that we were ever on his radar. Until you make some progress in player development, I don't think it makes sense to look for the star that can turn your team around. When a few guys develop and give BG a better idea of how the future Habs will look, he can make moves. It takes time and patience.
If Pleks,Perezhogin,Ryder, Ward, and Hossa are being noticed as young hopefuls at the NHL level [forgot Higgins], BG can decide what type of player compliments them. Until then, player development is the team's most important department. My concerns are questions like :
Why is Hainsey playing every 2nd or 3rd game ? Are they unhappy with something in particular ? Will they create room for a forward like Higgins or Plekanec who may be ready for a look ? Is Komi in Hamilton because of the logjam of contracts on the right side, or are they unhappy with an aspect of his play ? I think that we're a few years away from 1 player being a huge difference maker. That being said, any mention of a 26 year old Iginla, makes me salivate. On the other hand, how would he feel about going to another rebuilding team ?

Old
11-07-2003, 09:07 AM
doc lafleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
Just look at Dallas They keep on getting better without sacrificing talent with free agency, and superstar over the age of 25 cost big money any ways Eg. Iginla makes $7.5 M per season, we could easily add extra $2 M and get similar talent with little more experience without trading any assets. And thats the only way we can bring Contender in Montreal, BG can't possibly trade any prospects because superstars sometime become crap after changing team a la Jagr so only go for it if its something like Kovalev deal rangers got otherwise stay away from them.
I second that!

Old
11-07-2003, 11:53 AM
Dr_Chimera*

Send a message via ICQ to Dr_Chimera* Send a message via MSN to Dr_Chimera*
Quote:
You know, I'm a little too tired right now to reply to this.. maybe tommorow.

But, just to let you know, you don't have any right to be rude. My post might seem "pointless" to you, but I don't really care what you think... I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are to yours.

On this I bid you a good night.
Well, he did make you look very foolish. Rather deserved, I must say.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:31 AM
danboulie

Send a message via MSN to danboulie
IMO every team needs a superstar player, but there's a time for that.
I"d rather wait a few years for this team to improve, and then get a superstar player to help take this team to the cup, rather then have him now just to help the team make the playoffs, and then when the the team gets better he's slowed down a few steps and wouldn't be as much help to the team.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:14 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I don't believe we need a superstar to be successful. What we need is our prospects to turn out and the patience to wait for that to happen.
If Perezhogin and Kastitsyn can become top 6 forwards (and Higgins becomes a good top 6-9) and Komisarek and Hainsey can become top 4 defensemen I beleive we will be just fine. Now if the prospects don't pan out, we could be in for a longer haul.
To win Stanley Cups you need more than anything a good goalie, or a goalie who can get hot enough for 4 rounds and hold you in every game. I still believe that Theodore can do that for us. If we could ice a solid d unit night in and night out that would help alot. You also need a forward group that can suceed regardless of what kind of game is being played. A good balance of scoring and defensive responsiblity can accomplish this.
As usual Darz you are thinking the same thing as I am and took the words right out of my mouth.

Balance is what Montreal is building here and if Kats, Higgins or anyone else turns out to be a "Franchise" or "Star" player all the better, the pieces of the puzzle are all there it's just up to the kids to make that next step...management is patient and is willing to make this work. Nothing drastic or major is going to happen in the way of a trade at this stage of our re-building.

Closed Thread