HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers report card

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 05:29 PM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Oilers report card

Wow, some shoddy defensive work tonight, but they came away with a point. In a game like this you take the point but I hope they realize they keep on playing like that on the road the rest of the trip will be a long one.

Bergeron - Again I worry a lot about his play in his own zone and sorry but I really don't think he provides enough offensively to make up for his guffaws yet.

Brewer - Good game for him. He made some nice passes and some good defensive play. Yes he made some errors but a much better effort all around.

Cross - Like most of the defense struggled a few times without the puck but he was one of the few when pressured will put the puck off the boards. But there were a few times when he too tried the miracle pass up the middle.

Dvorak - He struggled at times with errant passes but made some good plays and man I am starting to think he is cursed.

Ferguson - Made one bad giveaway but other than that I never noticed him. Good sign.

Hemksy - Simply awful tonight and after a bad giveaway I yelled for him to get off the ice and he never saw the ice again. Nice to see MacTavish listen to me.

Horcoff - Another player benched, blech! Maybe Chimera draws in and Horcoff sits in the press box. Pick your evil, but I figure Chimera will be hungry again.

Isbister - Hope he's ok after having his bell rung by Chara after a suicide pass. Played gritty.

Moreau - What a game! I have loved Moreau all season and maybe Kevin Lowe knew what he was doing when he signed him this season. Many questioned that decision.

Pisani - Nice too see the local guy start producing like he did late last year. Gotta love it.

Reasoner - Quietly just racking up the points and playing well defensively. Also very good on the draw again this evening.

Salo - Made one bad giveaway and had one save where yes he should have made the catch, but also saved 3 breakaways and numerous other excellent scoring opportunities.

Smith - He made a couple of mistakes but again was the most solid dman for the Oil tonight. Again threw a couple of big hits.

Smyth - I am starting to wonder if he is playing with an injury. Had one great opportunity set up by Brewer but otherwise he had been very unsmytty like.

Staios - His worst game of the year, he actually scared me this evening. I can't count how many times he gave the puck away tonight. Could have atoned a little in overtime but the goaltender anticipated that pass.

Torres - He was gritty, he created chances, he had a breakaway. Good game.

York - Wasn't one of his best efforts offensively but was fine defensively.

Salmelainen - Had a couple of great chances and used his speed.

Sarno - Good game, especially defensively. He may not create every night but he is not going to hurt you on the other end of the ice which is what may keep him in the NHL.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:35 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Isbister - Hope he's ok after having his bell rung by Chimera after a suicide pass. Played gritty.
Thanks for the great image. Guy in a suit on the ice, running Isbister over.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Ryan Smyth was slashed by Bryan Allen of the Canucks in preseason and he suffered a hairline fracture in his finger. He only played 2 preseason games. I wonder if that injury is still bothering him and that he is struggling as a result.

11-06-2003, 05:40 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Isbister - Hope he's ok after having his bell rung by Chimera after a suicide pass. Played gritty.
Don't you mean Chara and not Chimera. Chimmer was in the PB and plays for the Oilers if not in the PB.

Old
11-06-2003, 05:51 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
Thanks for the great image. Guy in a suit on the ice, running Isbister over.
Oops but yeah it sure does spark the imagination though.

Time to edit my post.

Hey they both start with Ch, after that who knows where my mind went.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Horcoff - Another player benched, blech! Maybe Chimera draws in and Horcoff sits in the press box. Pick your evil, but I figure Chimera will be hungry again.

Smyth - I am starting to wonder if he is playing with an injury. Had one great opportunity set up by Brewer but otherwise he had been very unsmytty like.

Chimera may find a spot in the lineup but if he replaces Horcoff that means Smyth is back at center - ouch!! Smyth has been unsmytty like all year and it is becoming quite long in the tooth. Hemsky, Smyth, and Horcoff were pathetic and have been for a long time. Smyth and Hemsky's point totals to me are somewhat misleading as neither of them have put more than 1 solid game in a row. Need to be better or at least keep the puck out of their own net.

1st line - (Hemsky, Smyth, Horc) combined +/- of -13 not counting tonight
2nd line - (York, Torres, Dvorak) combined +/- of +12 not counting tonight.
3rd line - (RPM) combined +/- of +18 not counting tonight where they had to be +6 combined.
Other than Laraque most of the other guys are respectable especially for being plug 4th liners.

Clear who is a liability defensively and who is contributing offensively at even strength. Embarrassing for the top guys who to me have been a major reason for the ugly performances.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:13 AM
GorillazXL

[QUOTE=spaz44]

Bergeron - Again I worry a lot about his play in his own zone and sorry but I really don't think he provides enough offensively to make up for his guffaws yet.

//Completely agree with you on this, there's no doubt he's got heart and skills to match but this year unlike last year he's been very spotty on the defensive play...he doesn't generate enough offense to warrant ice time over Semenov. I was actually suprise to see him in the lineup...I thought MacT would want to ice a larger team against a fairly large Senator team (Redden, Phillips, Chara...)

Brewer - Good game for him. He made some nice passes and some good defensive play. Yes he made some errors but a much better effort all around.

//Slowly getting back to his old form.

Dvorak - He struggled at times with errant passes but made some good plays and man I am starting to think he is cursed.

//Did you see his expression when he beat Prushek and sent one across the goal mouth, his shoulders just dropped as if he didn't know what else to do.

GXL

Closed Thread