HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Elphy's Game Notes

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 06:10 PM
elphy101

vCash: 500
Elphy's Game Notes

My notes on the game against Ottawa.

Showed-Up To Play

Eric Brewer: Now that looked like the Eric Brewer of old. Carrying the puck, making some nice hits. Great outlet passes. Good to see. By far his best game of the year.

Steve Staios: What is there to say but solid. Made a couple of mistakes but overall. Steve played a great steady solid game. He is going to be damn hard to sign. How do you justify paying anyone else on the Oilers blueline more than him?

The RPM line once again played solid hockey for the Oilers. It sure looks like they are getting their chemistry back. Way to crash the net.

Torres-York-Dvorak: Played solid tonight. Didn't score but created some oppurtunities. Loved the chances that Dvorak was creating with his speed. Torres had some nice hits as well. Quite a few were off camera in the neutral zone but you could still hear the impact. I think this line might be the best 2nd line the team has had in over 10 years.

Tony Salmolainen: This kid should be in the NHL. I think he is ready. It's time for Lowe to make room for him.

Peter Sarno: Again, he should be in the NHL as the teams 13th or 14th forward. Played solid and has earned another game in the NHL..

Brad Isbister: Played solid until getting levelled by Chara. Hopefully he comes back soon...

Slightly Above His Average

Tommy Salo: I thought he played alot better than he has in quite a few games this year. He clamped down in the 3rd and overtime and made some key plays to keep the Oil from losing. He did let in two bad goals though. However his 31 saves did help to make up for them.

Struggled

Ales Hemsky: really struggled this game. However Oiler fans must keep in perspective. This kid is only 20 years old. Not to mention the fact that until last season, he's never had to play defense before. Defense is not played in the QJMHL. Every young player has growing pains.

Shawn Horcoff: First off, I'd like to say that he will be a solid NHL'er for a good long while. I think he is an excellent player and Oiler. However, recently he has really struggled. He needs to get some confidence back.

Ryan Smyth: Struggled. But he'll get back into form soon. I think Hemsky and Smyth could really use a defensive center with size between them. (Stefan would sure fit that bill)

Old
11-06-2003, 06:20 PM
Yanner39

Just got back from the game. IMO, the Oilers tied in large part because of Salo, for the good and bad reasons. The first goal on him was simply ridiculous and embarrasing. But after that, wow. With the Oilers down 3-1, he came up huge to keep the Oilers close. This is what the Salo critics like myself have been talking about. Making the next big save. Tommy was sharp.

The RPM line and the York-Dvo-Raffi line was very good again. The defense all around was good. MAB I think needs a bit of time in the pressbox. I found he was bobbling the puck alot on the PP.

My concerns:

Line # 1 - Let's face it, we need a center. I know we've all touched on it, but Smyth and Hemsky are struggling because they don't have a #1 centre. No offfense to Horc, but he plays better with no pressure on the 4th line.

The PP - Its even worst live. Alot of worthless pass, a comedy of errors on the points. Quite frankly, I don't see it getting better anytime soon.

One last point: It was amazing on Ottawa radio how they described the game tonight in the post game show. After seeing their share of Buffalo, Florida, Montreal, etc it was great to see exciting hockey. Two fast teams going head to head. I have to agree

Old
11-06-2003, 06:26 PM
FacelessButcher

How much longer will Stoll be out with Tonsilitis? Would it be too much pressure to try Stoll or Sarno on the top line.I think Horcoff needs two games in the press box to get the cob-webs out of his head.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
The PP - Its even worst live.
I must be getting goofy, I just can't stop laughing at that.

I thought that they looked pretty good with Chopper's crew out there, at least they got me on the edge of my seast a few times and not for the wrong reasons

I sure like the way Eric played today, of all the Oiler d-men he and Semi always seem like the least likely to jump in from the blueline so far this season. Finally he got in on the action up there.

As someone else mentioned just the other day, I'd like to see Brewer play with one of Smith or Staios for a few games. Just so that he doesn't have to be the defensively responsible one for a while. He has a very heavy wrist shot and should be getting some goals from the top of the face-off circle with that thing.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Shizuka

Bergeron struggled quite badly, as well. Not sure if you were listening to Rod and Morley while watching the game on TV, but Hemsky and Horcoff were essentially benched for the 3rd. I wonder who draws in for Toronto...Sarno and Salmelainen didn't hurt their chances with tonight's play, but if Chimera and / or Laraque come back in, how will they respond? And will it be a sustained improvement from them after sitting a couple and watching from the pressbox, or will they revert back to the ineffective level of play they were at before getting put upstairs? Chimera's confidence level was waning before he was dumped to watch from the sidelines.

On another note, someone please explain to me what good Craig Simpson has done for the powerplay. 0-5 tonight, I think we're at 28th in the league currently. Yes, I know we haven't hit the 20 game mark yet but it's creeping up. Salo had a mercurial effort again; looked great on several big stops but then he let in a softie on the Schaefer (sp?) breakaway. Brewer played much better, as well, but again he made a couple of poor choices when he was breaking out. And then again, he saved Cross's hide on a terrible giveaway during the 3rd. Frustrating to watch! Glad we salvaged a tie however...

Old
11-06-2003, 06:36 PM
Yanner39

This may not be a popular post, but wasn't MAB kept on the team because he was suppose to help their ****** PP? The PP is going nowhere so it makes you wonder how long he still has until Semmy's back in. Don't get me wrong, I like MAB but he's struggling out there. At this point, I'd rather Semenov blasting the puck towards the net.

Old
11-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka
Bergeron struggled quite badly, as well. Not sure if you were listening to Rod and Morley while watching the game on TV, but Hemsky and Horcoff were essentially benched for the 3rd. I wonder who draws in for Toronto...Sarno and Salmelainen didn't hurt their chances with tonight's play, but if Chimera and / or Laraque come back in, how will they respond? And will it be a sustained improvement from them after sitting a couple and watching from the pressbox, or will they revert back to the ineffective level of play they were at before getting put upstairs? Chimera's confidence level was waning before he was dumped to watch from the sidelines.

On another note, someone please explain to me what good Craig Simpson has done for the powerplay. 0-5 tonight, I think we're at 28th in the league currently. Yes, I know we haven't hit the 20 game mark yet but it's creeping up. Salo had a mercurial effort again; looked great on several big stops but then he let in a softie on the Schaefer (sp?) breakaway. Brewer played much better, as well, but again he made a couple of poor choices when he was breaking out. And then again, he saved Cross's hide on a terrible giveaway during the 3rd. Frustrating to watch! Glad we salvaged a tie however...
Schaeffer didn't have a lot to shoot at, Salo forced him to hit a small hole at full gallop and the kid did it.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:24 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Schaeffer didn't have a lot to shoot at, Salo forced him to hit a small hole at full gallop and the kid did it.
Yeah, sometimes one just has to admit that the opposing player made a good play.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
This may not be a popular post, but wasn't MAB kept on the team because he was suppose to help their ****** PP? The PP is going nowhere so it makes you wonder how long he still has until Semmy's back in. Don't get me wrong, I like MAB but he's struggling out there. At this point, I'd rather Semenov blasting the puck towards the net.

The thing is that MAB has the second role on the point. He's not on the top of the umbrella so he's not controlling the PP.

We have to admit that staios is the best oilers D-men on 5-5 , PK and 4-4....but not on the PP. It should be Hemsky feeding Bergy.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:47 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
The thing is that MAB has the second role on the point. He's not on the top of the umbrella so he's not controlling the PP.

We have to admit that staios is the best oilers D-men on 5-5 , PK and 4-4....but not on the PP. It should be Hemsky feeding Bergy.
I totally agree with this. However, I hope that with a bit more experience he'll control the PP. He just looks a little lost right now. The fact the entire PP is struggling doresn't help as well.

Closed Thread