HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How to fix disgusting, dull and boring NHL games

Closed Thread

Old
11-05-2003, 08:55 AM
Cosanostra

vCash: 500
How to fix disgusting, dull and boring NHL games

A good read from yesterday's Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/

Old
11-05-2003, 08:59 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosanostra
A good read from yesterday's Globe and Mail.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/
I'm for the full penality and the taking out the red line... bigger ice surface too. But i am against the 4 on 4 and the skating backwards thing (just stupid). I do like the penalty shots but not in the playoffs.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:03 AM
Canadienne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejaculine
I'm for the full penality and the taking out the red line... bigger ice surface too. But i am against the 4 on 4 and the skating backwards thing (just stupid). I do like the penalty shots but not in the playoffs.
The ban on skating backwards in the neutral zone is total nonsense! We would need two more linesmen just for spotting such an infraction - soon there would be more officials on the ice than players! LOL
The bigger ice surfaces, eliminating the red line and serving the full 2 minutes are far more constructive and realistic.

Old
11-05-2003, 09:25 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

look at that thread i post yesterday on another board "National hockey league board"

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=25374

Old
11-05-2003, 09:54 AM
GilleZ

I'm for everything, exept the 4 on 4 thing. The games has always been played 5 on 5 and it should stay that way.

But for the rest i'm all open. No red line, Bigger ice surface, penality shoot at the end of the game, full 2 min for penalities.

It's supposed to be a show. We must see goals, great plays, when was the last time you saw a great goal by montreal. 4 of the last 6 where from souray, and 2 fluke goals, Juneau and Perreault.

What a show!!

Old
11-05-2003, 09:56 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleZ

What a show!!
FREAK SHOW my friends.

It's really Ugly

Old
11-05-2003, 10:25 AM
SuperUnknown

I think the full penalty is a bad idea. Teams would be even more defensive 5 on 5, waiting for the penalties to score goals. The current secret in the NHL for weaker teams is good special units (PP + PK) and very tight 5 on 5 play where almost no goals are scored. To me, this is very boring.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilleZ
I'm for everything, exept the 4 on 4 thing. The games has always been played 5 on 5 and it should stay that way.

But for the rest i'm all open. No red line, Bigger ice surface, penality shoot at the end of the game, full 2 min for penalities.

It's supposed to be a show. We must see goals, great plays, when was the last time you saw a great goal by montreal. 4 of the last 6 where from souray, and 2 fluke goals, Juneau and Perreault.

What a show!!

Actually it was 6-6 and was changed to 5-5 a long time ago.

I want bigger ice surface!!

Old
11-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Jag68Sid87

Re: skating backwards

If enforced, the skating backwards thing would simply revert hockey back to what it used to be. Watch a tape of a hockey game in the 1970's and try to spot a forward skating backwards at any point in the game, unless he's skating at the point on the power play.

Come on, I dare you!

Old
11-05-2003, 10:39 AM
Cosanostra

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Actually it was 6-6 and was changed to 5-5 a long time ago.

I want bigger ice surface!!

Bigger ice surface is probably the best idea IMO, but it will never happen. The owners won't be willing to give up their most expensive seats which would have to be taken out to accomodate the bigger ice surface.

And the whole 2 minute penalty is a bad idea. Refs are scared to give out penalties as it is, imagine if they know one penalty can cost a team 2 or 3 goals.

They gotta take out that red line. This way the forwards can move up to the blue line quicker, which in turn will bring back the defensemen to check the forwards leaving way more room in neutral ice.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:46 AM
SuperUnknown

As for the bigger ice, it is used in Europe and the goal scoring ain't higher than in the NHL. Actually, it's arguable that the trap is used even more effectively in Europe than in North America...

Old
11-05-2003, 10:49 AM
GilleZ

I want pennality shoot at the end of the game, the most exiting play in hockey is seen once each year, thats to rare. I would love to see Theodore against the best sniper of the league at the end of a game.

Old
11-05-2003, 10:51 AM
SuperUnknown

Imo, the biggest problem is not the lack of scoring, but rather the way the game is played. 15-12 All-star games are even more boring than regular trap season games. Why? The lack of intensity, of competition. Imo, this is what needs to be improved in the NHL, even more than scoring. There are games that are very interesting where you sit on the end of your bench yet end 2-1 or 1-0. There are also games that end up 4-1 or 4-2 (like yesterday's game) and are boring.

Old
11-05-2003, 11:03 AM
Breenger

To make the game more exciting, stop schedualing the once or twice a year snooze-fest East-West matchups that take up way too much of the league's schedule. Hockey is not like any other sport, the most exciting games happen between rival clubs, because the teams truly hate eachother. These games tend to be harder hitting affares, and the emotion runs so high that the teams often loose their game plan allong the way(which is usually "everyone in the neutral zone"). The sooner the league realizes this the better.
Forget all of this "obstruction" nonsense; it isn't helping the raise scoring throughout the league, as it is used (and the penalty inforced) in both the offensive (pick plays) and defensive zone. In fact, the only change to the game that I think the obstruction penalty has contributed is a reduction in open ice hitting, isn't that great? If the league truly wants to increase scoring, ENLARGE THE NETS!!! It's simple, it will work, and teams will no longer be able to play the odds by sitting on a 1 goal lead halfway through the 1st period!
And get rid of the instagator rule, there's nothing more entertaining than a truly deserved beating.
The removal of the red line does screw up the trap, but it hurts any chance of having any chance of seeing any sustained offence (the D tend to never enter the offensive zone). A larger ice surface will never happen, and tends to produce a low scoring boring game, only with a bit more passing.
Illegal defense!!??? Penalize forwards skating backwards???!!! If that ever happens I will never watch this sport again!

Old
11-05-2003, 11:08 AM
Owen Wilson

Send a message via AIM to Owen Wilson Send a message via MSN to Owen Wilson
Someone had a good idea of widening the blue lines a couple of inches. The ice surface stays the same but it gives a little more room in the offensive zone. I think it was Bobby Smith.

Old
11-05-2003, 12:37 PM
Habber

I have always thought that if the refs stopped protecting the goalies, it would open up the game a lot more. It's almost like playing 6 on 6 sometimes cause the goalie is an extra d-man. It's frustrating to watch a guy have to fight through clutching and grabbing to break into the zone, but then have to back away from the puck cause the goalie got to it first. What makes the goalies so special that they can't be hit? If they're playing the puck in the corner, they should be fair game.

I've played and watched lots of hockey without the red line, and honestly I don't think it makes much difference.

I wish the league wouls at least try some things out though, maybe in the preseason or in the AHL. Hockey the way it is now is fun to watch in the playoffs, but not alot of the other time.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Malmsteen44

My idea is to reduce the number of teams in the league to 6. There are way too many guys in the NHL that should be playing in the AHL or over in Europe. The league has got to get rid of the No-Talents just filling roster spots.

My frame of reference is the 70's Hab squad which had guys like Jarvis, Trembley, Houle on 3 and 4th lines (but actually had skill and could skate and score). Today once you get past the first line of most teams, what do you have?? The vastly overrated "gritty" guys which in my never to be humble opinion equates to Talentless guys who are good at digging in the corners (SNOOZE) with ZERO hockey sense. Didn't the Habs waste a ton of picks between 1988 & 1996 on these types (Vallis, Bilodeau, Brown, Ryan, Higgins). Reduce the number of teams and the talentless guys will be OUT of the league where they belong.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:08 PM
Malmsteen44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmsteen44
My idea is to reduce the number of teams in the league to 6. There are way too many guys in the NHL that should be playing in the AHL or over in Europe. The league has got to get rid of the No-Talents just filling roster spots.

My frame of reference is the 70's Hab squad which had guys like Jarvis, Trembley, Houle on 3 and 4th lines (but actually had skill and could skate and score). Today once you get past the first line of most teams, what do you have?? The vastly overrated "gritty" guys which in my never to be humble opinion equates to Talentless guys who are good at digging in the corners (SNOOZE) with ZERO hockey sense. Didn't the Habs waste a ton of picks between 1988 & 1996 on these types (Vallis, Bilodeau, Brown, Ryan, Higgins). Reduce the number of teams and the talentless guys will be OUT of the league where they belong.
OOPS sorry I mean reduce the number of teams BY 6 to 24 total.

Old
11-05-2003, 01:23 PM
gamblor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breenger
ENLARGE THE NETS!!!
My problem with hockey currently is that there aren't enough shots on goal, or scoring chances. Making the nets bigger will in no way solve these problems. A boring 2-1 game is just as bad as a boring 4-2 game.

Speaking as a purist who favours only modest changes, I would rather see them shrink the neutral zone by moving the blue lines closer together, and move the nets back a bit. They would have to take out the red line, as well.(although not for icing).

A shootout at the end of the game, I reluctantly admit, would be pretty cool.

Old
11-06-2003, 04:24 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosanostra
The owners won't be willing to give up their most expensive seats which would have to be taken out to accomodate the bigger ice surface. .
This comment from the owners is soooooo stupid. If you take out a row, you move the expensive seats back one row, the expensive seats now go one higher. So what you lose is the last row, the cheap seats! It's all relative.

Old
11-06-2003, 04:37 AM
Joe Cole

You know, I do not know why most hate the idea of the enlarged nets. So what. The goalies are bigger (check out Giguire's chest protector).

The idea of illegal defensive is interesting to. The skating backwards thing is kinda silly sounding, but maybe if only three members of a team could be between the blue lines at any time. I am not sure that this is a good idea either....but they would need a black or white situation, otherwise they would bend that rule like they do the interference rule.

Here's an idea....call all the infractions as they appear in the rule book.

Old
11-06-2003, 04:53 AM
goalchenyuk

when we look at the free space that those big new goalers let in the net , i always think

use bigger nets !!!

i am happy for all those goalers as P Roy who beat all the records , but i would be curious to see all the zone he already use without moving, juste by his size , versus a goaler like Jacque Plante ...% of the space that they covered in the net ...

i am ok with you when you saiy that a boring game is a boring game , but by now with all the defensive system they teach , once a team have score 1-2 goals , you already know that they are going to win because of the difficulties to beat those big goalers + the defensethey already start to play

sorry for my bad english..

Closed Thread