HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's Expected

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 08:19 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
What's Expected

It's very interesting to see everyone's reactions to certain games and how they play out. Definately shows what is expected from everyone with regards to how our team should do.

For example: Some would say tonight's game was a disappointment, because Ottawa played badly and we did not take advantage and get a 'W', largely because our "top line" didn't play well at all. Others would say that tonight was a very good game, because we got exceptional efforts from some, and came out with a point against a tough team.

Very telling observations to be had.

I personally, with regards to the circumstances, am fairly disappointed with not being at least 3-0-1 over the past 4, because we were on the fortunate end of some lackluster efforts and failed to take advantage, while controlling substantial parts of games. And that all comes down to what is expected out of our squad by each individual person out there. I understand why some are satisfied, but just don't happen to think there's enough to warrant the satisfaction, due to the circumstances.

The other reason I'm slightly disappointed are what I would call, mistakes that are in our control, meaning, things like coaching mistakes and strategic mess-ups.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:39 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

I don't think "satisfied" is the right word.

I think "encouraged" is more how I feel. I won't be satisfied if the next 70 games have the same kinds of mistakes and missed opportunities. However, I think this team is absolutely making progress.

I'm encouraged because
-Salo (aside from the one blooper-reel play) played very well and made some huge saves to keep the Oilers close enough to steal a point. I think Salo getting back to form is the biggest factor in how the Oilers do this season, and there were signs tonight that he's coming around.
-big character and guts were evident from the Oilers' footsoldiers tonight. Compare how they responded to the 3 straight Senator goals to how they responded a couple of weeks ago to 3 straight St Louis goals.
-they got a point in one of the league's toughest buildings with absolutely nada from the top unit. The play of the top line was worse than just disappointing tonight; but conversely tonights' game was also evidence of what a solid supporting cast we have.

I've been saying that I felt the Oilers would take a while to get things put together. Obviously we're not there yet, but I do feel that some things will just work themselves out. I think they'll get the goofy turnovers under control. And I think that Smyth and Hemsky are just too talented not to overcome their current problems. There's obviously lots of areas that can be improved, but in my view, it's just a matter of focusing on details.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:58 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I don't think "satisfied" is the right word.

I think "encouraged" is more how I feel. I won't be satisfied if the next 70 games have the same kinds of mistakes and missed opportunities. However, I think this team is absolutely making progress.

I'm encouraged because
-Salo (aside from the one blooper-reel play) played very well and made some huge saves to keep the Oilers close enough to steal a point. I think Salo getting back to form is the biggest factor in how the Oilers do this season, and there were signs tonight that he's coming around.
-big character and guts were evident from the Oilers' footsoldiers tonight. Compare how they responded to the 3 straight Senator goals to how they responded a couple of weeks ago to 3 straight St Louis goals.
-they got a point in one of the league's toughest buildings with absolutely nada from the top unit. The play of the top line was worse than just disappointing tonight; but conversely tonights' game was also evidence of what a solid supporting cast we have.

I've been saying that I felt the Oilers would take a while to get things put together. Obviously we're not there yet, but I do feel that some things will just work themselves out. I think they'll get the goofy turnovers under control. And I think that Smyth and Hemsky are just too talented not to overcome their current problems. There's obviously lots of areas that can be improved, but in my view, it's just a matter of focusing on details.
That pretty much sums up my feeling on this team too, OGE.

Another thing I'd add is that the new guys; especially Dvorak and Bergeron, but Torres and Isbister too .... they are fun players to watch. Win or lose ... this is a pretty damn entertaining team that the Oilers have right now.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:26 PM
hockeyaddict101

I have mixed feelings

Offensively I have been very impressed. The Oilers are scoring more this season than I thought but they are also having the same problems defensively as I anticipated.

But overall I think I am more positive than negative is that defence can be taught and that will improve as the season wears on. If we can continue to score at a pace close to what the Oilers are doing now I think we will have a pretty good season.

Special teams need to improve though.

Old
11-07-2003, 04:04 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Offensively I have been very impressed. The Oilers are scoring more this season than I thought but they are also having the same problems defensively as I anticipated.

But overall I think I am more positive than negative is that defence can be taught and that will improve as the season wears on. If we can continue to score at a pace close to what the Oilers are doing now I think we will have a pretty good season.

Special teams need to improve though.
I agree. What is great is even last night when they were down 3-1, I told my Sens fan buddy to settle down, that the Oilers are alot different offensively than the last 2 Sens-Oilers tilts. They can come back. I think this is the most offense they've had in years. 3 lines can score on any given night. If we get a first line centre, it will only get better.

Another positive is Salo. I've been a big critic these past few weeks but I am encouraged by his play of late.

Another positve: Is it just me of the Oilers are less scrambly in their own zone. It seems they play the man alot better.

On the negative side: MENTAL LAPSES in all positions. That's what killed them in the St-loo game, Detroit game, etc...

Also, PK and PP need work.

Overall things are looking good. On last night's post game show on the Team 1200 in Ottawa, the radio guys were saying how it was hard for the Sens to get back on track because the Oilers wouldn't let them. The Oilers outworked the Sens and matched their speed. Ottawa was lucky to get a tie last night. Very encouraging from an Oilers fan standpoint.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:03 AM
ZIM

vCash:
It is always more interesting to talk about negative things rather than positive things so the board tends to focus on that. When you look at the conference standings you will notice that only 1 western team allows more goals against per game. So I think it's only natural for people to wonder why we play poorly defensively and to lay blame as they see fit.

On a positive note only 2 teams are outscoring us on a per game basis. This is a surprise to me because I figured that without Comrie we would have trouble scoring. To be scoring this many goals without a proven first line is impressive and bodes well for the future assuming we someday get a first line centre.

If things continue the way they are I figure we will finish 7th in the west. Chicago is currently ahead of us but they lack scoring. I'm guessing we outbattle (is that a word) Minnesota for 7th.

My other observation is the Comrie issue. When we win the board is very quiet on this subject, when we lose, or as the Ottawa game reveals, tie, there are demands for action.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:19 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
It's very interesting to see everyone's reactions to certain games and how they play out. Definately shows what is expected from everyone with regards to how our team should do.

For example: Some would say tonight's game was a disappointment, because Ottawa played badly and we did not take advantage and get a 'W', largely because our "top line" didn't play well at all. Others would say that tonight was a very good game, because we got exceptional efforts from some, and came out with a point against a tough team.

Very telling observations to be had.

I personally, with regards to the circumstances, am fairly disappointed with not being at least 3-0-1 over the past 4, because we were on the fortunate end of some lackluster efforts and failed to take advantage, while controlling substantial parts of games. And that all comes down to what is expected out of our squad by each individual person out there. I understand why some are satisfied, but just don't happen to think there's enough to warrant the satisfaction, due to the circumstances.

The other reason I'm slightly disappointed are what I would call, mistakes that are in our control, meaning, things like coaching mistakes and strategic mess-ups.
I don't the Oilers will ever be able to afford a premier topline, perhaps after 2004. As a consequence of not being able to afford a premier first line, the teams only option is to try and carry somewhat equal defensive responsibility & offensive firepower thorughout the lineup. On a night where Smyth, Hemsky & Horcoff (Don't even get me started on Horc.) can't get it done, I think it was very encouraging to see the RPM line step it up. Especially Pisani, who've I've been more then critical of thus far this season.
It seems there was a lot of criticism heaped on MacT for playing the 3rd 4th liners in OT. What would you have him do? He threw the guys out there that stepped it up. What kind of message would he have sent if he threw the first line out there? RPM stepped it up big and they deserved their chance to win it

Old
11-07-2003, 08:43 AM
Master Lok

Good call Oil Guy Eddie! Encouraged is exactly the right word! Me too!

Old
11-07-2003, 08:58 AM
barto

But it does show the general leanings of someone - do you look for things to be encouraged about, or look for things to ***** about? There are usually some of both to be found in every game, but it's harder to complain about stuff when the team wins.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this team - considering that a number of players are playing well below their abilities (Smyth, Horcoff, Chimera, etc.) then we're doing pretty well as far as our record goes. There's definitely room for improvement, but there are some encouraging signs as well (York, Dvorak, sometimes Isbister, RPM...).

And also considering we've been without Comrie (or someone in trade) this whole time, then this looks a little better, even. Esp. considering how many of us thought the Oilers would struggle offensively without him (maybe even *with*)...!

Bart

Old
11-07-2003, 08:59 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well, Tommy's play has CERTAINLY turned around. I think it's a joke he wasn't first star last night, as he made SO many huge stops on Redden/Hossa and the rest of the Sens. The team still needs to be smarter with the puck. I mean if you can cut down the scoring chances then Tommy will obviously cut down on the goals. Ferraro even mentioned this last night how the Oilers were giving up so many quality scoring chances. To me it seems like there is barely a shot that the opposition takes that isn't a scoring chance, because our D is keeping them to the outside and cutting off passing lanes.
I'm SOOOO happy for Sarno!! I was hardcore mad that he got cut in camp right at the end. I knew he'd be able to do exactly what he is/has done. He hasn't hurt the team at all defensively, in fact he saved a goal last night when he skated his as$ off and got back to lift that guys stick(forget who it was). He has added offense though and I would be fairly suprised if both him and Salmo are sent down anytime soon as the line of Izzy-Sarno-Salmo has been the Oilers best line the last two games (it was best second best against the Sens and best in the game before that). Izzy is playing GREAT. To bad Big Z murdered him - who the hell gave him that up the as$ pass???

Old
11-07-2003, 09:50 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
i am encouraged about this teams play of late as well. i just hope their special teams will get better and the mental lapses start to diminish however these guys are young and it will take time. i was hoping with simpson on board the pp would improve but still too many guys standing around and hardly any quite movement of the puck, oh well.

Closed Thread