HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A sure sign of the Apocalypse

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2003, 06:08 AM
True Blue

vCash: 500
A sure sign of the Apocalypse

No, not the fact that we actually witnessed a Poti hit (a real hit). I know that this is VERY early in the season and the games played are not even, however, anyone notice that the Rangers are tied for 3rd in goals against? Weird sight I am not used to seeing, even early in the season. The Devils have played one game more than us, and have allowed one more goal. The Flyers, however, while also playing only one more game, have allowed 5 goals more than the Ragners have. No, that is not a misprint. When you stop to recall that we have allowed 10 goals in the first 2 games, it looks even more impressive.
What can I say? Go Defense, go.

Old
10-31-2003, 06:32 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
The Flyers, however, while also playing only one more game, have allowed 5 goals more than the Ragners have. .
While I haven't actually seen a Philly game yet, Hackett's performances have been about as Jeckyll-and-Hyde as they come, statiscally speaking. He's really screwing over my fantasy team and now I'm wondering if Esche is going to push for his job.

The point is, it's a new Ranger approach to the game which has actually allowed Dunham's exemplary work to go rewarded. Tom Renney could go on to be a legend in this town if this group can keep it together.

Old
10-31-2003, 06:49 AM
JR#9*

This goes back to the whole point about systems in the NHL making defenive corps look better then they are statistically.

Look at our top 6 that hasn't even had Leetch and were 3rd in GAA.Itls all about systems and has less to do with the personel as much as it used to.Smart positioning, support from the forwards and playing as a 5 man unit makes a world of difference.

Old
10-31-2003, 06:58 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
This goes back to the whole point about systems in the NHL making defenive corps look better then they are statistically.
Disagree. Our defensive corps have looked anything but adequate. They still look pretty bad, HOWEVER the major difference has been the fact that the forwards are backchecking. Plus, it looks like deVries has been a good off-set to Poti. They have been our most effective duo. I do not think that our defensemen have looked good per se, but have been helped out by more of a commitment to defense by the forwards.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:03 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Disagree. Our defensive corps have looked anything but adequate. They still look pretty bad, HOWEVER the major difference has been the fact that the forwards are backchecking. Plus, it looks like deVries has been a good off-set to Poti. They have been our most effective duo. I do not think that our defensemen have looked good per se, but have been helped out by more of a commitment to defense by the forwards.
That is my point--not that the top 6 has been stellar but that the FIVE man effort has statisticaly made them appear to be a bunch of Kevin Lowe's back there when that hasn't been the case.

The point I was making was in regards to the debates we had all summer about how our top 6 were "amoung the worst in NHL history" and that you'd take almost every others teams top 6 over ours and my point was about how teams like Minny's top 6 appear alot better then they are due to the system dominating the way they play and the support of the forwards along with the set positioning of all the players mask alot of shortcomings as it has done with ours.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:03 AM
303Joe

But remember...

you also have the least amount of goals scored for at 16.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:04 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe
you also have the least amount of goals scored for at 16.
That;s b/c we haven't been able to beat up on light weights like the Isles yet this year!!!!

Little Ricky is going to help us out in the goals scored dept.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:23 AM
303Joe

Sorry there JR...

Quote:
That;s b/c we haven't been able to beat up on light weights like the Isles yet this year!!!!

didn't realize you played all the Powerhouses already. 6 of 8 games at home Carolina twice, Detroit in the 5th game in 8 nights after they had a big game w/ a western rival the night before and Florida. Besides Pitt who the Isles played twice who is a lower team but good defensive team with Fleury in net who else are you complaing about. They had w's against Buff, Florida who you already played, Toronto 5-2 and Pitt at home. Lost to Devs I know they a very weak defensive team they only won the cup, Mtl. who played a good home game and Caps who for some reason they always lose to. Its only 8-9 games into the season so lets not get tio giddy about being 1st on goals against. Lets see what happens in the next 3 home games have fun agaisnt the Avs, Stars and Flyers. After they lose a few we'll hear how they had a tough schedule. Remember the Rangers have had a rather cushy start scehdule wise in the season.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:41 AM
303Joe

Follow up on the cushy sked there JR..

Quote:

you had 6 of your 1st 8 at home you follow that up w/ another 5 out of 7 at home. That will be 11 of the 1st 15 at home. Better start getting some points at home as I'm sure we'll hear Sather mid way through the year at what a grueling road schedule they have but won;t bring up the first 11 of 15 were at home. He'll have that and the Refs are calling a fiar game as per yesterday article.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:43 AM
BLACKBURN

I think poti's looked much more physical this year. In the Anaheim game he dumped a guy pretty hard and he jawed with him for a bit. Hes a big kid, about 6'3 215 and if he wants to hit a guy hes certainly got the frame for it. I like Poti, despite his consistent dfensive lapses. Hes only what 26 (?) and has plenty of time to improve.

Old
10-31-2003, 07:44 AM
True Blue

Quote:
The point I was making was in regards to the debates we had all summer about how our top 6 were "amoung the worst in NHL history" and that you'd take almost every others teams top 6 over ours and my point was about how teams like Minny's top 6 appear alot better then they are due to the system dominating the way they play and the support of the forwards along with the set positioning of all the players mask alot of shortcomings as it has done with ours.
That has nothing to do with it. The fact of the matter is that our defensive play last year was still amongst the worst that I have ever seen. System or no. Minny's defense as a whole is still better than ours. We have NO ONE that is like Mitchell. This year Poti has been very good, I cannot lie. de Vires has been solid as well. However, the rest have not been anything to brag about. The ADRD could be the worst defensive pairing in the league. Kasper has been nothing special and Boucard has been decent. Say what you want, but w/o Leetch, most of the defenses of other teams are simply better 1 through 6.

Old
10-31-2003, 08:11 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
didn't realize you played all the Powerhouses already. 6 of 8 games at home Carolina twice, Detroit in the 5th game in 8 nights after they had a big game w/ a western rival the night before and Florida. Besides Pitt who the Isles played twice who is a lower team but good defensive team with Fleury in net who else are you complaing about. They had w's against Buff, Florida who you already played, Toronto 5-2 and Pitt at home. Lost to Devs I know they a very weak defensive team they only won the cup, Mtl. who played a good home game and Caps who for some reason they always lose to. Its only 8-9 games into the season so lets not get tio giddy about being 1st on goals against. Lets see what happens in the next 3 home games have fun agaisnt the Avs, Stars and Flyers. After they lose a few we'll hear how they had a tough schedule. Remember the Rangers have had a rather cushy start scehdule wise in the season.
Joe the comments were made to break your balls.I'm not doing back flips about the NYRs as of know as they have a very long road ahead of them and are still very much on the learning curve on how to win consistently and play solid defense in todays NHL.

And BOTH the NYR and NYI's have had a light schedule and nobody over here is discounting that.

Old
10-31-2003, 08:36 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
That has nothing to do with it. The fact of the matter is that our defensive play last year was still amongst the worst that I have ever seen. System or no. Minny's defense as a whole is still better than ours. We have NO ONE that is like Mitchell. This year Poti has been very good, I cannot lie. de Vires has been solid as well. However, the rest have not been anything to brag about. The ADRD could be the worst defensive pairing in the league. Kasper has been nothing special and Boucard has been decent. Say what you want, but w/o Leetch, most of the defenses of other teams are simply better 1 through 6.
Defensive play and defensive PERSONEL are 2 very different things and our whole arguement this summer was based on you saying you'd take Minny's, Atl and pretty much everybody else top 6 over ours PERSONNEL wise.

My arguement was it all matters how the Defense is deployed and what kind of system the team plays more so then the talent level on the top 6.

Old
10-31-2003, 08:38 AM
NYR469

3rd fewest goals since we've played less games...9th in GAA (which is still great and a monster improvement)

Old
10-31-2003, 09:51 AM
True Blue

Quote:
our whole arguement this summer was based on you saying you'd take Minny's, Atl and pretty much everybody else top 6 over ours PERSONNEL wise.
Sorry, JR, Minny's top 6 IS better. Especially w/o Leetch.

Old
10-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

Look at our top 6 that hasn't even had Leetch and were 3rd in GAA.Itls all about systems and has less to do with the personel as much as it used to.Smart positioning, support from the forwards and playing as a 5 man unit makes a world of difference.
With you to a point, JR. During the regular season, this is true. Come playoffs, however, when every team is jacked up for every game, in a battle among two teams playing relatively similar passive defensive systems, talent usually wins out.

Old
10-31-2003, 10:29 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
Sorry, JR, Minny's top 6 IS better. Especially w/o Leetch.
That's just ridiculous, but we'll agree to disagree.

Old
10-31-2003, 11:13 AM
True Blue

Quote:
That's just ridiculous, but we'll agree to disagree.
How is it ridculous? We have a pair of #8 defensemen playing significant roles (M&M). We have a #5 (Kasper). We have a #4 (Poti) playing with another # 4 (de Vries) as our top pairing. And we have a #7 (Bouchard). You tell me how it's ridiculous to say that Minny's defense is better.

Old
11-02-2003, 09:56 AM
303Joe

I know you were bustin horns there JR...

Quote:
Joe the comments were made to break your balls.I'm not doing back flips about the NYRs as of know as they have a very long road ahead of them and are still very much on the learning curve on how to win consistently and play solid defense in todays NHL.

And BOTH the NYR and NYI's have had a light schedule and nobody over here is discounting that.
just leave that DiPietro kid alone.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Chief

With all due respect, the difference when we win is we have a goaltender making the saves to win us games...the system that's been implemented is still not followed enough by most of the players...when we start giving up 20 shots a game then I'll crown Renney the new king...

Old
11-07-2003, 04:57 AM
303Joe

Quick update for my pal JR...

Quote:

3 more home wins against the Ducks, Sens and Stars. Hope these opponents are out of your lightweight catergory. :p . Hey you can bustem' I can bustem' to.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:27 AM
JR#9*

Quote:
3 more home wins against the Ducks, Sens and Stars. Hope these opponents are out of your lightweight catergory. :p . Hey you can bustem' I can bustem' to.
Congrats---are you planning the parade down Hempstead TPKE yet Joe???

Isles have played well and are playing good defense but we're a dozen games in.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:45 AM
303Joe

No parade planning this year...

Quote:
Congrats---are you planning the parade down Hempstead TPKE yet Joe???

Isles have played well and are playing good defense but we're a dozen games in.
and I'll be a little more giddy if they can continue their current play to the 40-50 game mark. Just glad their playing pretty well and good to see some of the younger guys playing well. DiPietro, Hunter are both playing well and Bergenheim iis not scoring alot of goals doesn't look out of place at all out there for a 19 year old.

Closed Thread