HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

I'm sick of Bashing Threads

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 10:01 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
If the signal-to-noise ratio gets too out of whack, I guess I'd have to find a new 'home', but so far I don't know of anything better out there!

Bart
Love that line!!

(You involved in some sort of Audio Production, by chance?)

Old
11-07-2003, 10:06 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
Love that line!!

(You involved in some sort of Audio Production, by chance?)
Same here, it brought back memories of my Naval electronic technician days...S/N ratio is key!

Old
11-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
BTW Cawz, I'm alot further south of Edmonton than you are.....it's tough being a fiercely loyal Oilers fans south of the border sometimes.
Where in the States? How did you get into the Oil down there (or are you from Etown originally)?

The Journal used to post articles on the web but they have digressed over the last little while. Its tough to get info now and its usually dated by the time its printed.

At least Sportsnet West shows the Oilers games. I dont know how they get away with being so bias. They show at least 3 Oil games for every Flames game. I guess that shows where the viewer interest lies. It was horrible when A-channel were showing the games because we couldnt get them down here.

And I'm still suprised that HNIC has had the Oil every saturday so far (I think). We're getting spoiled.

But ya, the inside info is much appreciated by the displaced Oilers fans. And to go with the thread title, enough with the bashing. There is enough negativity in the world without bashing our small market team struggling (and succeeding) to thrive in an unbalnced environment. We're doing fine considering all the crap we've had to put up with. If anyone really feels the need to bash our playoff (so far) team on a 4 game unbeaten streak without one of our top players, then mabye you have to re-evaluate why you are a fan. Just to make yourself feel better by putting something down?

Go Oil. I hope the Comrie situation gets sorted out eventaully and whatever happens, I'll still support the team. If the perfect trade was out there, it would be done already. I hope our stars start playing better, but at least our role players are picking it up when they are needed (which is precisely why they are part of the team). And I hope we meet someone other than stupid Dalls in the payoffs this year for cripes sake.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:51 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

just a quick comment if i have anything to bash during this four game unbeaten streak is as usual the powerplay. other than that everything is peachy cawz.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola
just a quick comment if i have anything to bash during this four game unbeaten streak is as usual the powerplay. other than that everything is peachy cawz.
Agreed. It's been horrible ever since Weight left. We sure miss him.

Apparently, so will the Blues.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:27 PM
Mizral

While I agree with you in one way, I disagree with you in another.

Constructive criticism is more than fair. If someone posts, 'Tommy Salo stinks, here's why:' then proceeds to give reasons for Tommy Salo's stinky play, that's 100% fine in my books, and that sort of chat should be encouraged, be it good or bad.

Criticism such as, 'Kevin Lowe is an idiot for getting the sucky Brad Isbister', and that's it, isn't really telling us much, I rarely respond to those posts.

Still, just because you think things is all roses, doesn't mean that people are not allowed to tell you that your farts do, indeed, stink like Kevin Lowe

Old
11-07-2003, 12:42 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz
Agreed. It's been horrible ever since Weight left. We sure miss him.

Apparently, so will the Blues.
It's a myth that the Oilers' powerplay was better when Weight was here.

( alert)

In the 00-01 season (our last with Doug Weight), the team was 21st ranked at 14.8%.

In the 01-02 season, the Oil ranked 16th and converted 15.3%.

In the 02-03 season, the Oilers ranked 19th, even though the percentaged dropped to 14.5%.

So far this season we're 25th and 13.2%... the current 25th place rank is the first time the post-Weight Oilers have had a PP worse than when Weight was here!

Maybe we miss Janne... or Comrie... or Carter... but whatever the powerplay is missing, it's not Doug Weight.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:00 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
Maybe we miss Janne... or Comrie... or Carter... but whatever the powerplay is missing, it's not Doug Weight.
Actually what I think the powerplay is missing is Wayne Gretzky.
It just hasn't been nearly as good since he left.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Digger12

Quote:

( alert)

In the 00-01 season (our last with Doug Weight), the team was 21st ranked at 14.8%.

In the 02-03 season, the Oilers ranked 19th, even though the percentaged dropped to 14.5%.

So far this season we're 25th and 13.2%... the current 25th place rank is the first time the post-Weight Oilers have had a PP worse than when Weight was here!

Thank you.

I figured that was the case, but I couldn't find the stats to back up my recollections.

Have we EVER had a PP that ranked #1 in the NHL? Even during the dynasty years, I think we maybe only did it once. Not sure though. I do remember though that even in those days, it always seemed like the PP was never as good as you thought it should be with Gretzky behind the net, Kurri firing lasers and Coffey riding point...

Old
11-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Cawz

Quote:

( alert)

So the 01-02 season was our best? Wasnt that the year we missed the playoffs? Well that throws all my theories for success out the window.

It seems to look worse without Weight. Janne never really impressed my on the pp, Carter's telegraphed 1-timer from the hash marks never did either. I think Comrie was a reason we were good in 01-02, when he was money. Last year, he sucked and so did the pp.

I think it's Cleary's absence on the pp that is hurting us. He was the glue that was holding everything together (sniff sniff).

Nice stats by the way.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:17 PM
momentai

Well, there's two sides to this. If the criticism is warranted, then by all means the player should get named for it. However, there are times when that goes too far.

I honestly cannot believe the amount of Horcoff and Pisani bashing of late. (last game excluded) Pisani was doing his job defensively on the checking line, and that is all he really needs to focus on. Up until last night, he didn't show any signs of creating offensive opportunities, but at least he was still doing his job.

As for Horcoff, I don't understand why people have targeted him as the main reason why the Smyth, Hemsky, Horcoff line failed last night. If Horcoff was the anchor weighing the ship down (as I think someone mentioned), Smyth and Hemsky were the big gaping holes in the ships' hull.

I'm not against criticizing Horc but at least criticize the rest of his linemates... they had as much to do with their lack of success as anyone.

That's my beef. Glad I got that out.

Closed Thread