HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

First Line Centre Please!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 08:02 PM
Scorpion88

vCash: 500
First Line Centre Please!!!!

Hey K-Lo!!

If you can hear us, please for the love of GOD find us a better first line center for this team. Horcoff (PPL) is by far the worst choice to be in that position and the past two games have proven that. He is now tied for fourth last in the league for NEGATIVE plus / minus. I am glad Mac T only played him one shift in the third, so we at least had a chance to win.

I would rather see Sarno get a chance on the big line right now, than to see Horcoff there again. PLEASE HELP K-LO!!!

(Sorry, just had to vent)

Old
11-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Hemsky01

How about a first and second line centre

I'm not sure what the Oilers are thinking but you can't play 12 wingers and no centres. You can make an argument that right now Marty Reasoner is the Oilers only natural centreman(knows the position defensively, can win a faceoff). Mike York is not playing bad right now but he is a way better winger. We won't even talk about Ryan Smyth. Shawn Horcoff is a good 4th line centre but even he would probably be a better winger when we consider size and faceoff issues. I really hope the oilers trade one of their wingers(chimera) for Kolanos and sign Mike Comrie. There is NO WAY the oilers win a trade of Comrie. Somebody please, please tell me any trade rumor of any substance that has the Oilers getting back a resemblemce of a first line centre for Comrie(who I believe is a first line centre, or a second line at worst). I can really see the Oilers making some noise with Comrie, Kolanos, Reasoner, Horcoff in the middle but right now, centre ice is there worst position on their team and they are thinking of trading our best centre(and frankly, I don't care if he doesn't want to play here, we need him so he can sit or play!! ) I know this isn't a Kolanos thread but I think he will be at worst a second line centre with great hands, speed, and size and would not even be available except for the fact that he has injuries and Phoenix's depth at centre.. Thoughts??

Old
11-07-2003, 04:25 AM
Allan

I hate to be negative, but in the Journal today, Comrie seems to have said that he doesn't want to come back:

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...9-90FF10C8FEF6

Meanwhile, Mike Comrie, the notable restricted free agent still left in limbo, is still certain he'd rather sit than re-sign with the Edmonton Oilers.
"I guess I continue to wait. That's all I can do," Comrie said on Thursday before heading out for another late afternoon practice with the University of Alberta Golden Bears.
"I hope something happens soon, but it's now November ... I look at it as sacrificing this time for the rest of my career."

Though your idea is wonderful, it's not going to happen. Too bad, because that would be a much stronger team.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:51 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I hate to be negative, but in the Journal today, Comrie seems to have said that he doesn't want to come back:

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/sport...9-90FF10C8FEF6

Meanwhile, Mike Comrie, the notable restricted free agent still left in limbo, is still certain he'd rather sit than re-sign with the Edmonton Oilers.
"I guess I continue to wait. That's all I can do," Comrie said on Thursday before heading out for another late afternoon practice with the University of Alberta Golden Bears.
"I hope something happens soon, but it's now November ... I look at it as sacrificing this time for the rest of my career."

Though your idea is wonderful, it's not going to happen. Too bad, because that would be a much stronger team.
As usual, I took that article differently, especially the part discussing what's at the heart of the conflict. If Lowe won't take calls, and won't negotiate a contract, but instead says "sign for 1.13 or i won't talk", then what is Comrie supposed to do besides wait? He's not going to sign for that amount, he knows it, Lowe knows it, everyone knows it. I'm really starting to wonder if there's a MacTavish angle to this. It sounds like there isn't any effort there to retain Comrie at all. Which would start me up on my "Lowe isn't doing his job" rant again, but this is all speculation, so who really knows.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Hemsky01

Personally I think Comrie is worth 2-2.5 million and would try to sign him to a contract for 1.5 M with bonuses up to 2.5.(obviously a little harder to reach than last time) I agree that there almost has to be a Mactavish angle or something else we are missing because you can see the canyon sized hole the oil have at centre and our best centre is not playing. I just wish Lowe had the balls to wait out Comrie and get him to play here.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
As usual, I took that article differently, especially the part discussing what's at the heart of the conflict. If Lowe won't take calls, and won't negotiate a contract, but instead says "sign for 1.13 or i won't talk", then what is Comrie supposed to do besides wait? He's not going to sign for that amount, he knows it, Lowe knows it, everyone knows it. I'm really starting to wonder if there's a MacTavish angle to this. It sounds like there isn't any effort there to retain Comrie at all. Which would start me up on my "Lowe isn't doing his job" rant again, but this is all speculation, so who really knows.
Sorry, I didn't put that right (half asleep). What I meant was that Comrie is resigned to not coming back, and that it was made clear from him, instead of Winter, that re-sigining him is not an option.

Closed Thread