HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'm sick of Bashing Threads

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 08:57 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
I'm sick of Bashing Threads

i'm getting sick of people here bashing player A after one bad game then bash player B the next game and it seems some people wants every player play like a god or something all season well that won't happen no one is perfect if everyone was it would be boring hockey.

I jump online after each game to see what poeple thought it and most of the time all I see is Sallo this and that, or about MacT etc.

I am getting quite sick of it, only a handful of people are talking about the good side of the game there are expection like the canucks on Oct 11th

i guess I am just ranting here, so i'm going to excuse myself from here tonight and watch tv

Old
11-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Allan

I can second that. My ignore list is starting to grow because there are a few who seem to be here only to bash. Obviously, this is a place where negative opinions are also welcome, but often they are expressed without any attempt to justify or be constructive.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Scorpion88

Better not read my HORCOFF thread then!!

But a least I continue to only bash him and not switch every game!!

Old
11-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Hemsky01

I agree, bashing gets old which is why I never go to Oilfans anymore. I think that an honest critique(such as Horcoff is not a first line centre and we need a first line centre:what can we do about it) is good though.
Just my thoughts.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
Personally, I will comment on whom I think played well, or didn't. I have recently, until the last two games said that Salo has not played well, and is looking very terrible doing it. The last two games he has played alot better... although that first goal tonight against Ottawa was terrible, what a couple of great glove saves in the second. Salo is being a leader for us, and I am giving credit when its due. I hear you guys when ya say that there is alot of bashing, but that said guys, were all here for the same reason. WE ALL WANT THE OILERS TO WIN! I think alot of the Bashers as you put are just really disappointed, at least its not like on espn where all ya get are trolls, cause trust me, they're even more annoying!

Old
11-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Digger12

I'd have to say that in the last year or so, this board has gotten a bit more 'vibrant', as it were. You can attribute it to a much increased volume of posters here, some of whom are a bit more 'in your face' with their opinions...it's different, but not unexpected (I'm looking at you, LMHF#1! ).

On the whole though, I'd say the Oilers HF board still remains as one of the most courteous boards and welcoming of newcomers, and definitely has some top notch discussions that very rarely degenerate into catfights and bans all around. The odd troll comes around, but you have to admire how they're swiftly dealt with.

The one thing I don't want this place to turn into is something like those old faceoff.com boards. That would be sad.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:54 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12

On the whole though, I'd say the Oilers HF board still remains as one of the most courteous boards and welcoming of newcomers, and definitely has some top notch discussions that very rarely degenerate into catfights and bans all around. The odd troll comes around, but you have to admire how they're swiftly dealt with.

The one thing I don't want this place to turn into is something like those old faceoff.com boards. That would be sad.

Ya, this board is great for oil fans out of Edmonton. Much is published in the paper and spoken on the radio that is missed by me being 3 hours south. I dont understand the constant need of some people to diss the team we cheer for, but the inside info is much appreciated.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:54 PM
gretzky2kurri

Oh why didn't you just call it the "BOO HOO THREAD"?

I see alot of people saying positive things about the game and team/players tonight. You see people critical here, but alot turn around and give the player/team credit when it's due.

People take note of the posters that don't come forward when someone they dissed a few games earlier has a great game. But we never talk about that, or start a thread about it.

And yes there are some that are never happy. I have co-workers and relatives like that too. It's life.

Truth is this site would be a snore fest if all we did was point out the positive on every game......no matter if they win or lose.

And I disagree that alot of people don't support their arguments. Alot of posters do, making us all alot more objective on certain topics.

Anyone who thinks this board is going in the toilet needs to go on a Leaf board for a week.

We're passionate knowledgable hockey fans. Some are too patient, some are too impatient.

But the majority won't be fooled.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:13 PM
elphy101

After reading the Smyth Bashing thread, I'm starting to agree more and more.

It's one thing to bash Salo. But now were moving on to bashing all of our quality players because they have a few bad games. I.E Brewer, Smyth, I even noticed a send Hemsky to the pressbox thread/post or two.

Hockey is a game. No one will be good for 82 games. Everyone has slumps. Even Mike Modano has slumps (I.e his play this year).

Old
11-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Even Mike Modano has slumps (I.e his play this year).
You're just a Modano homer Elephy.. I think that a bit of criticism is definitely needed and acceptable.. however, I too am getting annoyed with the abundance of threads that pop up after a game that are simply filled with complaints about this and that (usually done with the Caps Lock key down and making use of the various $ % & @ symbols..). Some negative posts are obviously needed but at least take a second or two to breath after an Oiler loss/tie and contemplate the value of the topic you are about to post..

Old
11-06-2003, 10:44 PM
Walsher

Quote:
After reading the Smyth Bashing thread, I'm starting to agree more and more.

It's one thing to bash Salo. But now were moving on to bashing all of our quality players because they have a few bad games. I.E Brewer, Smyth, I even noticed a send Hemsky to the pressbox thread/post or two.

Hockey is a game. No one will be good for 82 games. Everyone has slumps. Even Mike Modano has slumps (I.e his play this year).
Why is it one thing to bash Salo and not Smyth or Hemsky? Salo is and will be one of the best goaltenders in the world. He has had sloppy play in front of him and many of the goals have been week that is obvious. Yet he has won at every level played at (Olympics, overseas, IHL) and he is capable of winning here and has shown it in the past. Smyth and Hemsky have been brutal. Combined +/- of -7, innefective for the majority of games and finally benched against Ottawa. Why not see them to the pressbox? Why is Laraque in the pressbox? Could it be that he is -5 and not doing anything. These two are the same way. I'm not bashing them I am being realistic. They are two of the best players and they are playing as though they were two of the calls ups. Salmo and Sarno are at least working hard and generating offense. It is posts like this that make me nuts. Its fine to rip Salo, Moreau (in the offseason), Cross, Ferguson, etc. But the minute someone calls a guy out who is supposed to be the best player people get so defensive. The guys in Edmonton that catch the most flack are the plug players that are all of a sudden expected to be awesome. Yet when the stars underachieve it is alright. Give me a break.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:56 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

There's a difference between critical comment and bashing.

Critical comment: "Horcoff was terrible tonight. I don't think should be on the first line."

Bashing: "Horcoff is awful. MacT is an idiot for putting him on the first line. When is Lowe going to wake up and do something? This team is crashing and burning and he's off driving SUVs and dropping pucks in AHL arenas. Speaking of AHL that's where HORK-off should be because he's a disaster. BTW, 12 games and counting for Dvorak. Another brilliant trade."

(see? I could write columns for Oilfans. I just don't feel like being that stupid on a regular basis.)

Old
11-06-2003, 11:08 PM
jiggyman

I agree, its getting to be a little much.

I don't even come here anymore when we lose a game because 1 player is always singled out and bashed until the start of the next game, its not even fun to read. Some of the posters that used to be fun to read all summer are now just plain annoying and I can't stand reading what they write anymore.

How come Edmonton fans seem to always be looking for a whipping boy?, theres no reason for it. You don't see many other teams fans doing it.

Old
11-06-2003, 11:12 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
The sad part is even if they win, the Oilers get criticized. Just like Lowe will be criticized for whoever he gets in return for Comrie. He'll get criticized even if he wins the trade.

11-06-2003, 11:20 PM
jadeddog

i think if you have a problem with "bash threads", and there is no lack of them (just read my macT thread), i think the best route is to just not read them... i dont bother reading most threads on this board to be honest.... mostly this board is hot air, just like EVERY OTHER message board on the internet, lol.... that isnt a slight to the posters on here, some of you are pretty knowledgable and all.... but in the end all we do on here is BS and BS and BS.... its not like we have any control over the oilers or the moves of the oilers, so at the end of the day this is just a fancy coffee shop where fans come to either praise or complain about their favorite hockey team.... i dont know why people expect a freaking internet message board to be anything more than that..... like, have you not *been* to other message boards before??? compared to most ive been at (and ive been to LOTS of messsage boards) this one is actually pretty tame

Old
11-07-2003, 12:10 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
some of whom are a bit more 'in your face' with their opinions...it's different, but not unexpected (I'm looking at you, LMHF#1! ).
You'd better believe it

Old
11-07-2003, 12:29 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

my two cents.....

I think many of you are quite articulate (and passionate) about your feelings of the Oilers, regardless if I agree with your opinions or not. It's one of the reasons why I like posting here from time to time. I have to admit that the bashing does get tiresome at times, but maybe that's some people's way of providing "constructive criticism".

Regardless if it's praise or criticism, I still like what you all have to say. It's great to see fans who are passionate (almost too passionate) about their team. Believe me, this is much better than some of the other sites' message boards I've visited. On these other boards it's either one big schmooze (love) fest or it's nothing more than wars of words that have no points to them whatsoever.

BTW Cawz, I'm alot further south of Edmonton than you are.....it's tough being a fiercely loyal Oilers fans south of the border sometimes.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:13 AM
Mr Sakich

everyone is entitled to my opinion, and here it is...

this is one of the most balanced sites I have ever read. Yeah, there is some bashing but it is pretty much always deserved. The reality is that some oilers go through slumps. Unlike some other sites, we all are fans and say more positive things than negative. We also enjy the positive things more than the negatives. At some other boards, they are perfectly giddy when the oilers play poorly because they can get out their knives and carve. it is kinda pathetic.

Oilers Chick, have you noticed that nobody here gets away with personal insults? If two people disagree on something, they generally agree to disagree and move on. Other sites generally degrade to name calling.

Old
11-07-2003, 05:24 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
i'm getting sick of people here bashing player A after one bad game then bash player B the next game and it seems some people wants every player play like a god or something all season well that won't happen no one is perfect if everyone was it would be boring hockey.

I jump online after each game to see what poeple thought it and most of the time all I see is Sallo this and that, or about MacT etc.

I am getting quite sick of it, only a handful of people are talking about the good side of the game there are expection like the canucks on Oct 11th

i guess I am just ranting here, so i'm going to excuse myself from here tonight and watch tv
Agreed. After looking around at other forums after games, we have to be the worst for bashing our own team.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:52 AM
Marconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
Oh why didn't you just call it the "BOO HOO THREAD"?

I see alot of people saying positive things about the game and team/players tonight. You see people critical here, but alot turn around and give the player/team credit when it's due.

People take note of the posters that don't come forward when someone they dissed a few games earlier has a great game. But we never talk about that, or start a thread about it.

And yes there are some that are never happy. I have co-workers and relatives like that too. It's life.

Truth is this site would be a snore fest if all we did was point out the positive on every game......no matter if they win or lose.

And I disagree that alot of people don't support their arguments. Alot of posters do, making us all alot more objective on certain topics.

Anyone who thinks this board is going in the toilet needs to go on a Leaf board for a week.

We're passionate knowledgable hockey fans. Some are too patient, some are too impatient.

But the majority won't be fooled.
Agreed.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:10 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Why is it one thing to bash Salo and not Smyth or Hemsky?
Because Salo has struggled for more than a year. It looks like he's finally coming out of it. But still.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:28 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
great post gretzky2kurri, could not agree more. no doubt at times this site can be highly critical myself included however most people do have constructive arguments and insights which is why this board is exciting.
you know what i have been one of those bashing salo but i gave him credit where credit is due, the montreal game and especially yesterdays game against ottawa. i think you will find most people who bash particular players will give credit when it is deserved however until the consistency is there dont expect them to change overnight.

this is by far the best board to post on, hands down. ive had my battles im looking in your direction thome and win or lose i enjoy the discussion and passion of fellow oilers fans.

if you dont like that perhaps a figure skating board is more to your liking, just beware of tonya harding.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:41 AM
barto

Yes, this is probably the 'tamest' Oilers board out there, but it used to be even 'tamer'. Not boring, just fewer hate-filled rants about player x or coach y filled with no constructive thoughts at all. That's what I've noticed in the past few months here, yet it's STILL better than any other Oilers board I've been on.

I've tried to be careful who I "invite" to come here ('kraigus' somehow slipped through my security screen... ) so as not to encourage more of the useless rant-hate posts here, but I see others haven't been as careful...

Still remains my first (and sometimes only) source of Oilers news and opinions. If the signal-to-noise ratio gets too out of whack, I guess I'd have to find a new 'home', but so far I don't know of anything better out there!

Bart

Old
11-07-2003, 09:54 AM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I've tried to be careful who I "invite" to come here ('kraigus' somehow slipped through my security screen... ) so as not to encourage more of the useless rant-hate posts here, but I see others haven't been as careful...

Bart
You forget Barto, that HFboards has been getting alot of more publicity and mention on radio shows among other things. I agree this board, has definitely increased in volume but not necessarily quality. However, GuyF posts have been a nice addition to the boards so it all balances out.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Digger12

Quote:
You forget Barto, that HFboards has been getting alot of more publicity and mention on radio shows among other things. I agree this board, has definitely increased in volume but not necessarily quantity. However, GuyF posts have been a nice addition to the boards so it all balances out.
You mean quality, right?

I have to agree, look at the board activity right now...39 active members, 19 registered. It wasn't all that long ago you only saw that kind of activity during the entry draft or trade deadline, now it's almost a daily occurance. Sure you'll get some bad apples in the bunch, but at least we're not stagnant, new blood is a healthy thing.

Look at Oilfans for instance...it's an OK board with a bit more of a local flavour and its own OT section, but one thing I've notice since I joined there is that I haven't seen a lot of growth in its community. It's generally the same group of people day in and day out. Lots of repetitive topics over time, many threads I don't even bother to read because I know exactly how it starts and how it ends just by who started the thread. Generally I find the OT section more interesting, but only in a voyeuristic sense.

Ever watch Gangs of New York? HF reminds me of that movie somewhat...

Closed Thread