HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Allan Muir of SI gave the Flyers an A for Draft

Old
06-26-2006, 09:46 AM
semyers

vCash: 500
Allan Muir of SI gave the Flyers an A for Draft

EVeryone seemed to like the pick of Claude Giroux including the annoucers at OLN. Its funny I did not really hear about him until after he was picked.

see
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...nnsi&type=lgns
or
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....grades/1.html

semyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:12 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Normally, I would like that someone said we did a good job at the draft. However, this Muir guy said that the Sabres would be next in line to win the Cup. I question his hockey knowledge. All hockey analysts aside, I think we did ok.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:38 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
However, this Muir guy said that the Sabres would be next in line to win the Cup.
why is this farfetched in your mind?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:41 AM
A Flock Of Seguins

I'd heard of him. I've followed the draft REAL close this year and was absolutely thrilled. Totally un-Clarkish pick, probably a last-minute change when Sanguinetti was taken hence him not knowing the name, but a great offensive talent. Really exciting player who was a complete sleeper and a great pick-up. Once Sanguinetti went, I expected Clark to take Sneep instead since that area of the draft was fairly thick with D-men, but Giroux can really really pay off. His lack of size has put people off but his ability to score is really impressive, he led the QMJHL rookies in scoring this year I think, and came 10th or 11th overall.

I like our entire draft, but Giroux is a good 'un. In the new NHL his size shouldn't matter, he's a great scoring arsenal, set of hands and great vision, and impressive passing too. Potentially a first line RW.
Vaguely like Sergei Samsonov, but with more consistancy, toughness, dedication and scoring upside.

Woot.

Nodl plays a really really safe game but marries it with offense. Good skater, decent points scorer, but the next few years will say a lot, since he's a little way away from the NHL.

Ratchuk is FAST. REALLY fast and has a penchant for scoring from the back end. His defensive game needs some work, although apparently it was severely lacking a year or two ago and really came together rather quick, and his scoring upside is impressive.

Bodrov should be fairly close to joining the big team and has good passing ability, but I admit I know rather little about him and Matsumoto, who's undersized but has a scoring flourish. And further down the draft i'm clueless.

I like it, I think it's a rather good draft and that Muir is right, his analysis seems fairly accurate for each team.

A Flock Of Seguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:50 AM
BringBackStevens

seems a lot of people are real high on popov. i was hoping to read some more about him and where he is going to play in the next few years

Old
06-26-2006, 11:17 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
They may lose McKee to free agency and to me he is probably their best defenseman. Also, I don't see Numminen being brought back due to health issues.
It's way too early to be spouting off SC champs for next year. The guy looks like he spends more time doing his hair than he does writing articles.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 11:29 AM
BringBackStevens

it is too early, but it isn't really a bad pick either.

Old
06-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:

Aren't 3/4ths of the Sabres FAs this offseason and they'll all want raises? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 12:05 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01
Aren't 3/4ths of the Sabres FAs this offseason and they'll all want raises? Correct me if i'm wrong.
You're wrong. Maybe a bunch of RFA's, but theres like three UFA's and a ton of cap room. They will keep the core of the team together.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhl...ree_agents.htm

Last edited by MojoJojo: 06-26-2006 at 12:11 PM.
MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
seems a lot of people are real high on popov. i was hoping to read some more about him and where he is going to play in the next few years
He's played in Russia's "Premier League" for the past seven years. He probably won't get the opportunity to play in the Russian Superleague by the time our two years are up, since spartak moscow and molot-prikamje were promoted this year. He'll be nineteen in two years so he will have to make some huge strides in personal development should he have a chance on coming over.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 12:28 PM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
You're wrong. There are a bunch of RFA's (11), but theres only three UFA's and a ton of cap room. Worst case scenario they have to trade one or two guys, Afinogenov or someone, in which case they can still get good quality return.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/nhl...ree_agents.htm
http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/article-6004--0-0.html

I wasn't to far off. That makes 14 guys from last year's roster to sign who will want more money. The question is how far will they go to sign everyone. Anyway, this isn't the Sabres board, but I just see them having difficulty keeping the team together under their self imposed spending limit. The NHL cap isn't part of the equation because they won't spend to the NHL cap.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 01:04 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers_01
I wasn't to far off. That makes 14 guys from last year's roster to sign who will want more money. The question is how far will they go to sign everyone. Anyway, this isn't the Sabres board, but I just see them having difficulty keeping the team together under their self imposed spending limit. The NHL cap isn't part of the equation because they won't spend to the NHL cap.
That's fine, but as long as there is revenue sharing, Buffalo will have more than enough money to keep the core of the team together. They are a very good hockey club that is well run by Regier. Hey, I can't stand the Sabres, but I'll give credit where credit is due. I see them as being very similar to the New Jersey Devils. Just when you think that they are down and out or when a player walks away from the Devils organization, don't you know it, they have someone waiting in the minors that can step in.

As for the Flyers draft, it truly was a good draft for the team. The more I read about players taken after Giroux, the more and more this draft begins to feel like 2003.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 01:44 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
That's fine, but as long as there is revenue sharing, Buffalo will have more than enough money to keep the core of the team together. They are a very good hockey club that is well run by Regier. Hey, I can't stand the Sabres, but I'll give credit where credit is due. I see them as being very similar to the New Jersey Devils. Just when you think that they are down and out or when a player walks away from the Devils organization, don't you know it, they have someone waiting in the minors that can step in.

As for the Flyers draft, it truly was a good draft for the team. The more I read about players taken after Giroux, the more and more this draft begins to feel like 2003.
Canít compare the Sabres to the devils as the devils have been on top for a long time. Buffalo has had 1 good year out of 5, lets see them do it for a few years.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
Normally, I would like that someone said we did a good job at the draft. However, this Muir guy said that the Sabres would be next in line to win the Cup. I question his hockey knowledge. All hockey analysts aside, I think we did ok.
His trading deadlne article did it for me. Either completely far-fetched ideas or ones that were floated around for weeks before the article.

Quote:
Pittsburgh deals Mark Recchi to Philadelphia for Steve Downie and a 2006 second-rounder.
Awful.

Dr Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 05:27 PM
MojoJojo

The Hockey News gives us a B

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/...l-draft-grades

Quote:
The Unique
Philadelphia may have committed grand theft with their seventh round pick (205th overall). They selected Andrei Popov, a right winger who was ranked ninth among international skaters according to Central Scouting. Not nineteenth. Not ninetieth. NINTH. There are concerns about his ability to adapt to North America, and that likely scared teams to move him down the list -- so far down that teams may have forgotten him.
The writer doesnt criticize our picks, but has a problem with our depth at LW.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote