HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth!

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 08:32 PM
Walsher

vCash: 500
Ryan Smyth!

As I said at the start of the season this guy is so overrated it isn't funny. Those of us who have watched the Oilers this year no what I am talking about. Other than 2 garbage goals against San Jose on opening night and a few second assists on powerplays this guy has been invisible and it is clear he is being zoned out of many of the Oilers offensive setups especially pp. He has been unproductive, terrible defensively, and playing without any effort or desire. Watching tonights Oilers-Sens game only reiforced my beliefs. He was beaten to every loose puck, lost footraces to every player including Chara on a couple occassions and his determination in front of the net and along the boards was completely non-existent. Wait, before you jump to the "he's playing a different position defense" he had a natural centerman in Horcoff. Moreover, the pp minutes put in are becoming less and less productive. Smyth seems as though he is losing interest in either Edmonton, with the team, with the game, with something because he has been absolutely brutal!!

I look at the efforts of Sarno, Salmo, Isbister (recently), York, Torres, Dvorak, Moreau, the liust goes on guys making a consistent contribution to the teams goals. Smyth on the other hand has been the complete opposite. He hasn't contributed in any substantial amount (second assists and early goals aside), he has been strugling defensively, and the simple plays have completely escaped him. People keep talking about what this team needs - how about its "BEST" player to step up and contribute to the cause. Dvorak hasn't scored and yet he has been far more consistent and his plus minus is evidence of that hard work. York started slow but he has been the best Oiler in recent games. Isbister had a tough start and it looks like he is starting to show signs of improvement. Torres has contributed more than anyone thought he would. Reasoner has been the steadiest player on the club. Ryan Smyth has done nothing to deserve the ice time, pp time, or accolades that the media and fans give him.

For example, I recall an Oilers game this year where in the post game show the hockey people kept raving about how well Smytty played and how much he accomplished on the ice. It was a loss and Smyth was -3... I can't figure it out. He needs to play better. THe Oilers need him to be the best player on a consistent basis. He is getting good money and the team needs better return for the investment.

I know all the Smytty lovers are gonna jump all over my back for criticizing their beloved hero - how he is playing center and he is not used to it and how his linemates keep changing and so on and so on. The list of excuses for the walking cliche dictionary is large and still growing. The fact remains he has been brutal. He saw pine tonight against Ottawa and I think he deserves a little more of that to reinforce how fragile a spot is on an NHL roster.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:51 PM
Oi'll say!

Smyth almost scored on 3 seperate occasions against Detroit, he just got unlucky. Although he looked a bit sluggish tonight I have no doubt he'll bring his "A" game the next couple of nights. He's got a lot of heart.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Overrated? This season? He has been getting a fair amount of criticism actually, maybe he deserves more, although I think you just piled on quite a bit just there

If you mean overrated in general-I completely disagree. Smyth is one of the game's more underappreciated stars. Gretz didn't come calling for Team Canada because he sucks.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:59 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Smyth almost scored on 3 seperate occasions against Detroit, he just got unlucky. Although he looked a bit sluggish tonight I have no doubt he'll bring his "A" game the next couple of nights. He's got a lot of heart.
Too bad he gets "unlucky" far more times than any other player for the amount of chances he gets. Hemsky makes a great play tonight across the blueline and drives hard to the net with Horcoff drops the puck to Smytty - almost misses the slapshot completely and whiffs in into the corner. He has looked sluggish for a while now. Any chances he had against Detroit could only have been pp because he was aweful (not to mention his line was on the ice for at least 2 goals against). He must have more heart than any other athlete in history for the amount of times I hear people say that about him. Truth is I think he needs to show it more often. The only game I was impressed by his efforts believe it or not was the 4-2 debocle against CGY at home. He looked so fed up, he was driving the net, banging in the corners, he even got into it pretty good with Iginla. He is reminding more of Jason Arnott as an Oiler than the Ryan Smyth he is capable of being. He looks rather disinterested for the first time in his career. For a guy that thrives on effort and desire that doesn't bode well for the Oilers. As the best player he can't afford to not bring his "A" game every night and that is the fact of the matter.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:17 AM
barto

I think most people would say they expected to see more consistency & effort (not to mention production) from Smyth than he's shown this year, but those who like Smyth (like me, although I don't give him god-like status or anything) would suggest that he's in a slump but will pull through as he's done many times in the past.

I think it's just a matter of time before he starts playing well again on a consistent basis, but I also wonder if there's some injury or something holding him back. That, or he's trying to do too much and ends up not playing to his strengths, or...??? Who knows. But when he's on his game, he's a very valuable member of the team. And since he's not going anywhere, the most we can do as Oilers fans is to hope that he finds a way to turn it around soon!

Bart

Old
11-07-2003, 06:36 AM
dem

He was playing out of position
When he isnt playing out of position... he has HORCOFF as his center
His winger is a 20 yr old. I dont care what everyone sees in him and how much skill he has.. hes still a 20 yr old.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:10 AM
Hemmer

Now we are after Smytty?

"Breaker Breaker 1-niner...What the ******* over..."

Only the heart and soul of the team, takes a beating every night and tries hard every shift. Yeah, since he hasn't scored 9 goals this season so far, we should roast him.

This is Smyth we are talking about here...the guy who tried out at Center because the team asked him to, and spent extra time practicing his faceoffs to become no worse than someone like say...MC? He is the true captain of this team on and off the ice, and a great guy in the community who put his team first come contract time. There is no need for this criticism at all thus far...yes we can acknowledge he has struggled, but Smyth does a lot of things well, even when he isn't putting points on the board. He's not nearly overrated enough as far as I am concerned.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:11 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
Now we are after Smytty?

"Breaker Breaker 1-niner...What the ******* over..."

Only the heart and soul of the team, takes a beating every night and tries hard every shift. Yeah, since he hasn't scored 9 goals this season so far, we should roast him.

This is Smyth we are talking about here...the guy who tried out at Center because the team asked him to, and spent extra time practicing his faceoffs to become no worse than someone like say...MC? He is the true captain of this team on and off the ice, and a great guy in the community who put his team first come contract time. There is no need for this criticism at all thus far...yes we can acknowledge he has struggled, but Smyth does a lot of things well, even when he isn't putting points on the board. He's not nearly overrated enough as far as I am concerned.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:16 PM
LT

I think he'd look pretty good in a Coyotes uniform and like you've said Gretzky loves this guy. Maybe he does need a fresh start? Just don't ask for Doan in return because you're not getting him.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:22 PM
dem

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT
I think he'd look pretty good in a Coyotes uniform and like you've said Gretzky loves this guy. Maybe he does need a fresh start? Just don't ask for Doan in return because you're not getting him.
Then dont ask for Smyth.. cause youre certainly not getting him.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem
Then dont ask for Smyth.. cause youre certainly not getting him.
Yeah, like he said!

:moon:

Old
11-07-2003, 07:21 PM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
As I said at the start of the season this guy is so overrated it isn't funny. Those of us who have watched the Oilers this year no what I am talking about. ...
I have no idea what you're talking about, and I think Smyth can't be put in the top 6 forwards for Edmonton this year. Is he slumping? Yes. Does that mean he's overrated? Not one iota.

Modano's stats sit at 3 goals, 7 points, -11 in 14 games played. Is he overrated? Not even a teensy bit IMO (except perhaps by Modano=God LOL. BTW, where is M=G right now anyway?). For those keeping track at home, Smyth's numbers are better.

Quote:
For example, I recall an Oilers game this year where in the post game show the hockey people kept raving about how well Smytty played and how much he accomplished on the ice. It was a loss and Smyth was -3... I can't figure it out.
OK, maybe now I've figured out your issue. You are saying his recent play is overrated. Not the same thing as him being overrated. I know the NHL is a "what have you done for me lately" league, but this is stretching it: Jason Bonsignor's clothes do NOT fit on Smyth.

Quote:
I know all the Smytty lovers are gonna jump all over my back for criticizing their beloved hero
Or maybe you'll be criticised for hyperbole and specious over-generalizations. Its great that you're willing to be a martyr for the cause of truth and all, but I think its pretty much no-contest that Smyth is the best forward on the Oilers' roster, whether he's playing like that right now or not.

Of course its nice of you to be honest in evaluating Smyth and noting that he's playing poorly. Objectivity is a rare commodity on fan discussion boards. Huzzah to you for this fresh air. But its a rational necessity to limit how recent play extends to overall player evaluation. Slumps happen.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:39 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilswell
Of course its nice of you to be honest in evaluating Smyth and noting that he's playing poorly. Objectivity is a rare commodity on fan discussion boards. Huzzah to you for this fresh air. But its a rational necessity to limit how recent play extends to overall player evaluation. Slumps happen.
Well stated.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:02 PM
The Rage

Who's left to criticize?

By my careful reckoning, the only oilers not to get blasted so far in this forum are Staios, and to a lesser extent, Ales Hemskey. Even hemskey has gotten some flak for his lack of shots and his defensive play. We obviously shouldn't be gung ho about our team all the time, but things have far passed the point of absurdity. As I said in a previous thread, it's like some people feel that us fans have an obligation to criticize a player whenever they're in a slump. It's one thing to point out that a particular oiler is playing poorly, but it's quite another to take that poor play as an indication that that player sucks in general. It happens all the time. Horcoff has a few bad games. Therefore he sucks and should be traded. Isbister has a few bad games. Therefore he sucks and we should pakage him with comrie. Ferguson has a few bad games. Therefore he sucks and is nothing more than a career minor leaguer. Salo has a few bad games. Therefore he sucks and we should ride superstar ty conklin to stanley cup glory. It happens time and time again. You're taking a few games as an indicator that a player is no good? Are you that incredibly shortsighted? You must have forgotten all the good games Smyth has had. You must have forgotten that he tied Wayne Gretzky's record for most power play goals scored by an oiler in a year. You must have forgotten that Smyth captained team canada to world championship glory. Overrated? My god, what the hell have you been smoking? I need to try some of that s**t.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:57 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I think we are targeting smytty by process of elimination, we've already chewed out Izzy, Laraque, Horcoff, Chimera, Pisani, Salo, I think it just took us longer to realize Smyttys struggles.

we're unbeaten in 4, lets put the complaints on hold for a while and enjoy the success. He's adjusting to life as a centreman, and also might have the post contract jitters al la Theodore, Giguere, Turco, Iginla.

predictions for Toronto on Saturday...

Edmonton 4- Toronto 3 in OT

Cross get's the winner in OT.

Closed Thread