HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Defense a target in Entry Draft (Wayne Fish)

Old
06-20-2006, 10:03 AM
swflyers8*

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Defense a target in Entry Draft (Wayne Fish)

Quote:
Of course, Holmgren wouldn't divulge the group of players the Flyers are looking at around the 22 spot.

The Central Scouting Bureau has three defensemen listed as 20, 21 and 22 on their rankings. No. 20 is Mark Mitera out of the University of Michigan. No. 21 is Ty Wishart from Prince George of the Western Junior Hockey League and No. 22 is Brian Strait who's playing for the U.S. National Under-18 team.

They're all over 6-feet and weigh more than 200 pounds, so they won't be confused with Meyer. But they could add something to the Flyers' farm system and from there, who knows?

Holmgren said that despite the salary cap, the Flyers would like to keep all their picks.
Phillyburbs.com

It should be an interesting draft for the Flyers to say the least.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 12:18 PM
daynus

And if we want more depth on D

In round two there are like 6 or 7 players(forwards and D) from the USN U-18 program and several other decent dmen, that will be around in round 2.(3 picks for us in that round.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 12:38 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

They're probably going to end up taking all defensemen with the first four picks they have. With their first choice, I really hope they take a defenseman with skill and not a defenseman who is big and can bang. We don't need that type of defender. Our defense was so badly exposed in the playoffs, I hope that they draft a defender like Alexandrov or Chris Summers with the first choice. With the three seconds, I'm sure a banger like Joey Ryan or Brian Strait will be available. I could honestly see the following defenders being taken with our first four selections: Alexandrov, Strait, Danis-Pappin, and Mathieu Carle. I would do handstands if the draft turned out like that.

The flip side though is that Holmgren mentioned on www.philadelphiaflyers.com that this draft is forward heavy for the first three rounds. It wouldn't surprise me either if they drafted a forward or two in the first two rounds either. Hopefully, the forward would be a Cory Emmerton or Claude Giroux type forward. We don't need a Ryan White (god knows we've got enough grinders on the team) and I'd hate to see us waste a first round pick on someone like Ryan Hiller or Ondrej Fiala.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
They're probably going to end up taking all defensemen with the first four picks they have. With their first choice, I really hope they take a defenseman with skill and not a defenseman who is big and can bang. We don't need that type of defender. Our defense was so badly exposed in the playoffs, I hope that they draft a defender like Alexandrov or Chris Summers with the first choice. With the three seconds, I'm sure a banger like Joey Ryan or Brian Strait will be available. I could honestly see the following defenders being taken with our first four selections: Alexandrov, Strait, Danis-Pappin, and Mathieu Carle. I would do handstands if the draft turned out like that.

The flip side though is that Holmgren mentioned on www.philadelphiaflyers.com that this draft is forward heavy for the first three rounds. It wouldn't surprise me either if they drafted a forward or two in the first two rounds either. Hopefully, the forward would be a Cory Emmerton or Claude Giroux type forward. We don't need a Ryan White (god knows we've got enough grinders on the team) and I'd hate to see us waste a first round pick on someone like Ryan Hiller or Ondrej Fiala.
Quote:
“The scouting staff that you have put together works all year for this one particular day. When you’re the general manager, you are deeply involved in not necessarily the selection as much as trading players for draft picks or draft picks for players, so there’s about a three or four day period where there’s a lot of communication between teams and a lot of manipulating and conning and stuff going on. It’s an exciting time for us all.” (Bobby Clarke)
Translations: Take everything the scouts/management say(s) with a grain of salt.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 10:30 PM
stanley

Quote:
They're probably going to end up taking all defensemen with the first four picks they have.
I hope this isn't what happens. The CSB top 30 list is sick with forwards, and thin at defense. I'd much, much, much prefer that they pick the best player available when they're turn comes around early on instead of picking for need. If they were selecting 21-year-old college players, who are much closer to what they'll eventually become as NHL players and more ready to help, then I'd be more inclined to pick them.

Ideally, they'd pick four defensemen because they'd be the best players available when they picked. But that's not going to be the case. I believe tools trump position when they're 18.

In a related note, I won't be surprised to see them move up in the first round with some sort of package. How far up, I don't know. Just a guess.

stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 08:12 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Hopefully, the forward would be a Cory Emmerton or Claude Giroux type forward. We don't need a Ryan White (god knows we've got enough grinders on the team) and I'd hate to see us waste a first round pick on someone like Ryan Hiller or Ondrej Fiala.
I liked the way Fiala played in the Prospects Game, and Grabner too. If we can get a good Euro winger, who has more upside than a Dman in Round 1, go for it and take the Dmen with the 3 2nd rounders.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote