HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Luongo

Old
06-21-2006, 12:47 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Well, the market has been established. With the package Los Angeles is offering, it looks like it's going to take an established forward that hasn't hit their ceiling yet, it's going to take a great prospect, and it's going to take a goaltender to get Luongo. At this point, I absolutely hope the Flyers do not get involved in a deal for Luongo. Let Los Angeles gut their team to acquire a goaltender.

What I don't get is that we've got two more than capable goaltenders on this team of doing the job. What we've also got is a coaching and management staff that won't do the right thing and name one of them the starter for once and for all. I just wish that they'd grow a set and do it.

We don't need goaltending. We need mobile, puck moving defensemen and we need a playmaking forward to solidify the second line. I'd love to see what it would take to acquire someone like a Zherdev from Columbus or Tanguay from Colorado.

We have more important needs than Luongo. And besides, his whole character is now coming into question. Once Keenan took over, he did everything that he promised Luongo he would do. He tried and made the team better. He's going to continue to make the team better. And he's also offered Roberto a long term contract that would pay him more annually than what Brodeur is getting. And yet it isn't good enough for him. To hell with Luongo. We've already been through the wringer once before with Lindros. We don't need another head case here.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 12:48 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts
luongo and wiess for richards and picard
You'd probably have to throw in a goalie along with those 2.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 12:54 PM
jb**

kind of funny how LA with Hextall and Lombardi there a few weeks realizes the importance of a stud goalie. Hextall was here how many years and I will assume he has spoke his mind about acquiring a front line goalie yet Clarke obviously didn't listen. Lombardi was only hear for a few years and 1 thing he has already said is it takes a great goalie to win, paraphrasing of course.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 01:00 PM
BringBackStevens

i honestly think nittymaki is our man. as BCF said, we just need to give him (or esche, but preferably nitty) the reigns and focus on the rest of the team.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 01:00 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
kind of funny how LA with Hextall and Lombardi there a few weeks realizes the importance of a stud goalie. Hextall was here how many years and I will assume he has spoke his mind about acquiring a front line goalie yet Clarke obviously didn't listen. Lombardi was only hear for a few years and 1 thing he has already said is it takes a great goalie to win, paraphrasing of course.
That certainly makes you wonder.

Great post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
i honestly think nittymaki is our man. as BCF said, we just need to give him (or esche, but preferably nitty) the reigns and focus on the rest of the team.
I agree with you given the choice of Nittymaki or Esche that Niittymaki is our man. However, if there is a possibility of getting an elite goalie like Luongo I think that Clarke and company would be foolish to not throw their hat into the ring and try to get him here.

Old
06-21-2006, 01:23 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
I would say with our forwards and Niitty we are in good shape. We just need to sure up the defense. We have a few good guys in Pitkanen, Meyer, Goat and Johnsson if he stays. Even the big lumberjacks in Hatch and Rathje if they back to the form they had in the beginning of the year. We just need one or two mobile defensemen. Maybe it could be Picard, who knows. Maybe it will be a defenseman not thought as highly skilled but gets the job done, like the following:

Ruslan Salei
Frantisek Kaberle
Niclas Wallin
Radoslav Suchy
Willie Mitchell
Jaroslav Spacek
Nathan Dempsey
Tom Poti
Cory Sarich

The guys in bold are guys I really like the Flyers to go after.

swflyers8* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 01:35 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25
I would say with our forwards and Niitty we are in good shape. We just need to sure up the defense. We have a few good guys in Pitkanen, Meyer, Goat and Johnsson if he stays. Even the big lumberjacks in Hatch and Rathje if they back to the form they had in the beginning of the year. We just need one or two mobile defensemen. Maybe it could be Picard, who knows. Maybe it will be a defenseman not thought as highly skilled but gets the job done, like the following:

Ruslan Salei
Frantisek Kaberle
Niclas Wallin
Radoslav Suchy
Willie Mitchell
Jaroslav Spacek
Nathan Dempsey
Tom Poti
Cory Sarich

I don't think the defensive corps can have both Rathje and Hatcher. One is fine, but having two slow, immobile defensemen is not a good thing.

I will take a pass on Gauthier as well.

Johnsson is a question mark. Who knows whether he will ever be able to play again and, if he can, at what level?

Old
06-21-2006, 01:37 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Well, the market has been established. With the package Los Angeles is offering, it looks like it's going to take an established forward that hasn't hit their ceiling yet, it's going to take a great prospect, and it's going to take a goaltender to get Luongo.
Agreed. If that LA offer is for real, nothing offered in this thread comes even close to tempting the Panthers, especially since they'd get the added value that Luongo would be shipped out of the conference.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 01:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HungryforHockey25

Ruslan Salei
Frantisek Kaberle
Niclas Wallin
Radoslav Suchy
Willie Mitchell
Jaroslav Spacek
Nathan Dempsey
Tom Poti
Cory Sarich

I want no part of Tom Poti.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 01:39 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Nor should you. *shudder*

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 02:03 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
I don't think the defensive corps can have both Rathje and Hatcher. One is fine, but having two slow, immobile defensemen is not a good thing.

I will take a pass on Gauthier as well.

Johnsson is a question mark. Who knows whether he will ever be able to play again and, if he can, at what level?
Gauthier is fine as a 3rd pairing defenseman. You just can't ask him to do much besides take the body and make the occasional pass out of the zone. With Meyer, I think they make a fine 3rd pairing. I wish we could get rid of one of the behemoths, but who is going to take them with those contracts? We may have to bite the bullet for another season or two. Maybe Rathje will recover from his injuries to come back one of our top 2 defensemen, as he was the first 20 games of the season? It'd be nice.

P.S. Tom Poti sucks.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 02:37 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Well, the market has been established. With the package Los Angeles is offering, it looks like it's going to take an established forward that hasn't hit their ceiling yet, it's going to take a great prospect, and it's going to take a goaltender to get Luongo.

Please. No one really believes that rumour to be true, and if it was there is no way in hell anyone is going to beat it. It sounds like a wishlist from Florida that got leaked to the media.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 02:40 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Agreed. Spacek or Kaberle would be a decent pickup though.

MojoJojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Banger

I have to laugh at the posters who think Luongo isn't any good because "he no playoff experience" or "hasn't taken his team to the playoffs". Luongo played 65 games this year and was 35-30, the teams overall record was 37-45, so the team got exactly 2 wins when he didn't play in the other 17 games. If they had a backup goalie that could have went 6-11 they are in the playoffs.

It's unfortunate that he plays for a horrible team but that's not his fault.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I'll pass on Salei, the walking power-play. Our PK sucked last year and it would be wise to make this team smarter.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I'll pass on Salei, the walking power-play. Our PK sucked last year and it would be wise to make this team smarter.
it would be wise to make our PK better.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
it would be wise to make our PK better.
Then why add some one who had 114 minutes in minors? He'll be in the box, while our already anemic PK is sent out for an easy goal against.

I think it would be a better move to put a serious pitch in for McKee and dump off Hatcher.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 05:36 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I think it would be a better move to put a serious pitch in for McKee and dump off Hatcher.
That's my vote - I'd love to see McKee here.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 06:16 PM
FlyersFanJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
That's my vote - I'd love to see McKee here.
ditto

FlyersFanJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 08:26 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanJS
ditto
I'll add my approval of that idea as well.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 10:14 PM
phlacheesesteak

there is no doubt in my mind that nitty should be the nuber one next year. also, since thats the case esche needs to be dealt, he is a good starter with a cheap salary, im sure he could drawl a good return with a combo of a forward or two. Bottom line is, we have a great looking young core group of players who will all be NHL ready within the next few years...at the same time nitty should be reaching his prime...

Philly needs to drop some of the salary they have tied up in either Hatcher or Rathje IMO. I would like to see Clarke use some of the picks from this years draft to trade for a solid, quick defensman as those type of defensmen are quite valuable in the NHL these days. Aanother strong point is that philly needs a better team effort on defense, as that is the style that hitch uses. but i dont know how to speculate on how they are going to go about doing that. Hopfully Hitch tweaks his philosophy for next year.

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 11:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Nor should you. *shudder*

that was witty

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 02:57 AM
peteo

They don't want any any salary back,they just want draft picks,and and smaller contracts.No Gagne,he will make too much.As they want to sign jovo cop,let them take the LA offer.

peteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 06:19 AM
steinie77

If Clarke can dump Hatcher's salary, then there is a legitimate shot at landing two to three dmen. The forwards are fine unless a trade is in the works for draft positioning or to land a dman no one sees as available. That said, they should be setting their sights on Redden first and foremost. Beyond him, then they should land Markov. Realistically, those two should push the limit of the salary cap yet leave the "wiggle room" for injuries, callups, deadline mayhem, etc. Give Redden 6 million per for 4 years and give Markov Hatcher's 3 million for 4 years. Let Picard and perhaps Desjardins (league minimum for the 7th slot) platoon for the injury replacement role. That defense would be very, very nice and fairly complete:

Redden - Markov
Pitkanen - Rathje
Meyer - Gauthier
7th: Picard/Desjardins

steinie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:44 PM
King Fish

Don't go crazy and give away half the team! Luongo will flop if he comes over in some huge deal. As Clarke stated, the best goalie in the world is (or was) Brodour. All the rest are good goalies who get hot for a year.

King Fish is offline   Reply With Quote