HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Luongo

Old
06-23-2006, 09:50 PM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
well enough of this thread, luongo went to vancouver

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=169536

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 12:46 AM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylez19
well enough of this thread, luongo went to vancouver

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=169536
Well THAT was anti-climactic.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 12:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 750
In effect, Jovo may be added to Florida:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/panther...ongo_0624.html

The deal also could pave the way for the signing of defenseman Ed Jovanovski if he becomes an unrestricted free agent, as expected, July 1. Jovanovski and Bertuzzi were considered two of the cornerstones for the Canucks, who missed the playoffs this past season for the first time in five years.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 03:56 AM
peteo

Luongo

Esche&Gagne&Flyers 2nd 55th.

peteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 04:02 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
finally, we can put this nonsense to bed

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Winston Wolf

LOL at the people who thought Luongo was worth Pitkanen. LMFAO at the people who thought Luongo was worth Pitkanen and one of Carter and Richards.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 04:11 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf
LOL at the people who thought Luongo was worth Pitkanen. LMFAO at the people who thought Luongo was worth Pitkanen and one of Carter and Richards.

Luongo got a bit more than I expected, but Luongo is not the franchise player everyone claims he is. Franchise players don't play for 3 teams before their 30th birthday. To get Allen as part of the deal they had to give up Krajicek. But yeah, there are a lot of people who said Luongo was worth the world and he wasn't.

Old
06-24-2006, 04:18 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Luongo got a bit more than I expected, but Luongo is not the franchise player everyone claims he is. Franchise players don't play for 3 teams before their 30th birthday. To get Allen as part of the deal they had to give up Krajicek. But yeah, there are a lot of people who said Luongo was worth the world and he wasn't.
I completely agree. Figure in the uncertainty with his contract status and he's not worth nearly as much as people thought. Keenan had to take a deal with a huge wildcard because nobody would offer up any of their young, safe studs for this guy. Keenan said he had no other offers, which doesn't mean he wasn't making offers, but it still tells you the demand for Luongo just wasn't there. Who wants to give up valuable assets for a player who will likely want to test the UFA waters in one year?

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 04:26 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fish
Don't go crazy and give away half the team! Luongo will flop if he comes over in some huge deal. As Clarke stated, the best goalie in the world is (or was) Brodour. All the rest are good goalies who get hot for a year.
And thats why the Flyers will never win a cup with Clarke if he sees no difference between Esche and Luongo or Kipper.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 08:12 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
And thats why the Flyers will never win a cup with Clarke if he sees no difference between Esche and Luongo or Kipper.

Who is Luongo? And what has he done that makes you think Luongo is the answer? He's never played a playoff game. The only two big game situations he's ever been in at this level he choked. At least Esche has seen the battles before. Luongo has done nothing but put up good numbers. God knows Clarke got a lot of goalies who had good numbers.

Old
06-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Who is Luongo? And what has he done that makes you think Luongo is the answer? He's never played a playoff game. The only two big game situations he's ever been in at this level he choked. At least Esche has seen the battles before. Luongo has done nothing but put up good numbers. God knows Clarke got a lot of goalies who had good numbers.
You dont see the difference between putting up good numbers on the Flyers and putting up good numbers on the Panthers?

Luongo is on a completely different level to Esche.

Steve L* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 08:36 AM
dedalus

Quote:
So then you agree with Clarke's philosophy that there's Brodeur and then everybody else is the same?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 09:35 AM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
So then you agree with Clarke's philosophy that there's Brodeur and then everybody else is the same?
I agree that's it's not worth giving up proven assets for a guy who has never been tested with pressure, and when he has, has failed. Luongo is all hype.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 09:41 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:

I can see Clarke's point. What goalie out there has continuously well in the playoffs as Brodeur has? The only goalie I can think of that has been consistantly good has been Kipper and it would still be interesting to see him with an average defense in front of him or at least have his team pay any attention to offense.

The league is littered with goalies being traded who once were the "goalie you need to trade for to win the cup". Giguere and his bloated contract, most likely Nabakov and his 4 mill a year, and I bet Khabibulin could be had relatively cheaply. How many young goaltenders who were complete after thoughts have come on to unseat the #1 star "franchise goalie" this year?

It's tough to choose the right goalie as shown by all the goalies with bloated contracts on the trade market.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 10:11 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:

Somewhat, Luongo has proven nothing. I actually think Kiprusoff is better than Brodeur, but after those 2 is where we get to guys who are very good, good, not as good, etc. Brodeur and Kiprusoff are the only two who have every proven anything. Possibly next year we can add more names pending what happens next season (Lundqvist, Turco, Luongo, Miller) guys who have proved some things but not as much.

Old
06-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

I'm glad this BS is over from our point of view. I was so sick of people asking for Carter or Richards or Pitkanen.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 10:53 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

So, who is the next big name to be traded and when do the names Pitkanen, Carter and Richards start coming up.......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 01:15 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Franchise players don't play for 3 teams before their 30th birthday.
That really doesn't indicate much, in Luongo's case.

He was only traded because he rejected every offer Florida made. He just wanted to play elsewhere.

And he probably never would've been dealt from NYI in the first place had Milbury not been GM.

tom_servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 04:06 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I agree with Clarke's philosophy and so far, he's been proven right. No goaltender in the NHL is consistent as Brodeur is. And there's no way that Luongo can even be mentioned in the same breath as Brodeur.

We'll be fine with our goaltending as long as the coach and management finally decide to grow a set of balls and declare one of the goalies the number one guy. Their reluctance on doing anything like that is what is causing a controversy right now.

Old
06-26-2006, 08:14 AM
NJFlyer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
So, who is the next big name to be traded and when do the names Pitkanen, Carter and Richards start coming up.......
Cujo, Richter & Belfor

NJFlyer42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:37 AM
dedalus

Quote:
I agree with Clarke's philosophy and so far, he's been proven right. No goaltender in the NHL is consistent as Brodeur is.
1. So then you agree that the goalies in this league are pretty much the same:
Luongo = Esche = Aebischer = Garon = Fernandez = Auld = Kiprusoff? It's just that one "gets hot for a year"?

I find that to be a ridiculous notion, but I am all for Clarke's ongoing belief in it because I think Steve L has hit it on the head.

Quote:
We'll be fine with our goaltending as long as ...
Yeah. Many Flyers seasons have started with this phrase.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 09:46 AM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
dedalus, while i agree with you i dont think the flyers would make a wise choice in trying to pick up a new goaltender.

other than luongo, who is already gone, who is there that is really clearly worth the salary/trade material that will be required to get a goalie in the orange and black

nabakov - not worth huge contract and players required to give up
giguere - "
bulin - "
cloutier - worse than what we have
denis - not clearly better than what we have
aebischer - worse than what we have
garon - "
auld - gone to florida
fernandez - not going to be traded
kiprusoff - not going to be traded

nothing else really comes to mind

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Luongo = Esche = Aebischer = Garon = Fernandez = Auld = Kiprusoff? It's just that one "gets hot for a year"?

I find that to be a ridiculous notion, but I am all for Clarke's ongoing belief in it because I think Steve L has hit it on the head.

You forgot Gerber, Giguere, Nabakov and Theodore. What have some of these goalies done lately? Giguere had that one good year (contract year - go figure) and once he cashed in hasn't been the same. A fair amount of goalies have their best year just before contract time and when they can't duplicate it their employers are left with 16 mill/4yr contracts for a backup goalie or find themselves handcuffed when trying to purchase the new "goalie flavor of the month". Goalies are the biggest wildcard in the league from year to year and every fan thinks the grass is greener on the other side. Keep in mind that the 2 best goalies, Brodeur and Kipper come from 2 of the most defensively sound teams in the league.

If Florida manages to get Jovocop and Vancouver doesn't do anything significant to replace him Luongo may find alot of similarities between vancouver and FLA. IMO a good defense is as important as a good goalie. Luongo really put the screws to himself with his negotiating tactics. Luongo's longterm paycheck will be determined on what he does this season in Vancouver, you can throw out what he did in Florida for the most part. The only upside is that if he has a stellar season he may get the NTC that he wants but he really won't get much more if any more money than Keenan was offering. If he has an average year he'll cost himself millions and if Jovocop leaves there's a decent chance of that happening. I still can't believe he tried to dictate conditions to Keenan, he could've just saved everyone time and said trade me.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:55 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

If you're going to quote me, at least use the full quote, and not a portion of it. It's clear that you twisted and slanted my quote. I stated specifically our goaltending will be fine. However, the team needs to grow a set of balls and name one guy the starter. That's all they have to do. This flip flopping between Niitty and Esche just won't work. Designate someone the top guy and then turn them into a work horse.

Old
06-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
If you're going to quote me, at least use the full quote, and not a portion of it. It's clear that you twisted and slanted my quote. I stated specifically our goaltending will be fine. However, the team needs to grow a set of balls and name one guy the starter. That's all they have to do. This flip flopping between Niitty and Esche just won't work. Designate someone the top guy and then turn them into a work horse.

Neither can stay healthy long enough to absorb an NHL workload as of yet...you don't just turn a guy into a workhorse.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote