Notices

Accountability by Babcock?

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 12:12 PM
Healthy Scratch

vCash: 500
Accountability by Babcock?

This is my first post on this board, and I want to preface my comments by saying I think Mike Babcock is a very good coach. I love his psychological approach to the game and I think what he did last year was spectacular.

With that caveat, I wonder how much longer the team can play in the duldrums before he steps up and takes accountability (or accountability is assigned to him by players or Bryan Murray). After every game -- heck, after every PRACTICE -- he makes comments about the team's need to create some enthusiasm or some pride or someother emotional factor. And after the OT loss in St. Louis the other night, he was actually quoted in the LA Times as having said there were some positives to take from that game. I don't want the coach of my team saying those things, frankly. You lost. There's nothing positive about that. :mad:

I'm clearly not advocating that Babcock be fired; that would be collasal mistake (see: Ron Wilson). But I do feel, with four wins 14 games into a conference-championship-defending season, that it's time to perhaps turn the magnifying glass away from what personnel moves can be made and towards the team's readiness to play.

I know injuries have hurt us. I know new players are learning our system. But I have also seen a team that has failed to hold leads, that has at times skated like it had no concept of the strategy, and that has made a few inferior teams look very, very solid. I'm not asking for mid-season form. I'm asking for progress and improvement every game.

Does anyone else share these thoughts?

Old
11-07-2003, 12:29 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

He has taken responsibility. He's said several times that a team not being prepared falls on the coaches' shoulders, and that quite a few times they haven't been prepared.

Like it or not, we've had one of the worst starts in franchise history. It doesn't help to rag on players in the paper after every game. Irrespective of the players' culpability, they're fragile, and he has to deal with that, no matter how much he may wish to scream and point fingers. There's a diminishing marginal return there. There were signs of improvement in the St. Louis game, most notably from a goaltending perspective, and what good do you think it would do to ignore that? Do you think the coach has been patting the players on the back every day in practice since that game? I don't.

Newspaper quotes do not represent the sum total of a coach's actions or philosophy. I feel pretty confident that Babcock has been working on problems since Tuesday and not just holding circle jerks to celebrate the breakthrough.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:42 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

The players just need to kick it up a few notches.. as we all know, Neids is the only Ducks charging the front of the net... Fedorov could do it, but he doesn't...
Yes, the Ducks have lost plenty of leads, i guess they fell that they couldn't catch-up and hoping that our goaltenders would help out, which hasn't. San jose is tied with us now... tsk tsk..
Rucchin needs to start showing some leadership and now with Carney back, i hope this helps us out in our next games. he is still not 100%. i think this will be a better month...

Old
11-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

0-2-0-1 so far...

Old
11-07-2003, 01:06 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
0-2-0-1 so far...
there's still plenty of hockey..

Old
11-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

bah! Give me some pessimism.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Healthy Scratch

Good feedback. Nice to talk hockey with people who know what they're talking about.

I happen to disagree with the notion that Babcock's quotes to the papers are unhelpful. I think a lot of coaches, Babs included, know their players read the paper and they sometimes attempt to communicte internal messages through external means. Phil Jackson is a master at this. I agree that they are not the sum total of his position, but there is more value in what they say to Helene Elliott than we believe sometimes. My opinion.

I didn't see a whole lot of improvement in the St. Louis game. Maybe they played a better overall style, but they still gave up the tying goal with, what?, three minutes to play? And then they gave up the game-winner by letting Tkachuk just march down the left side. Jiggy has to deflect that shot. And somebody needs to knock Tkachuk off the puck. They quit. Plain and simple. Moral victories like "some improvement" are, in my mind, not acceptable for a team a few months removed from a conference title.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy Scratch
Good feedback. Nice to talk hockey with people who know what they're talking about.

I happen to disagree with the notion that Babcock's quotes to the papers are unhelpful. I think a lot of coaches, Babs included, know their players read the paper and they sometimes attempt to communicte internal messages through external means. Phil Jackson is a master at this. I agree that they are not the sum total of his position, but there is more value in what they say to Helene Elliott than we believe sometimes. My opinion.

I didn't see a whole lot of improvement in the St. Louis game. Maybe they played a better overall style, but they still gave up the tying goal with, what?, three minutes to play? And then they gave up the game-winner by letting Tkachuk just march down the left side. Jiggy has to deflect that shot. And somebody needs to knock Tkachuk off the puck. They quit. Plain and simple. Moral victories like "some improvement" are, in my mind, not acceptable for a team a few months removed from a conference title.
Well that's probably the worst possible interpretation of it, and I'm a guy who likes to find the negatives.

The Ducks were playing well in the third. The power play is not clutch, but does look dangerous. The goal the Blues scored didn't come on a glorious chance...it was a mistake by the goalie. The overtime goal came off of a bad pass that created an odd-man rush.

I really didn't see that many mistakes in the game. That is improvement. We haven't had late leads often enough to really see a pattern in terms of losing them.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:25 PM
soya_sauce_chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
Well that's probably the worst possible interpretation of it, and I'm a guy who likes to find the negatives.

The Ducks were playing well in the third. The power play is not clutch, but does look dangerous. The goal the Blues scored didn't come on a glorious chance...it was a mistake by the goalie. The overtime goal came off of a bad pass that created an odd-man rush.

I really didn't see that many mistakes in the game. That is improvement. We haven't had late leads often enough to really see a pattern in terms of losing them.
yes.. taht is true.. Boogs is like that, but he grows on you like fungus.. LOL
he's a good guy... i'd keep him on the first line any day....
The Ducks will be a good solid team in the coming months.. they need to learn to work together.. like how the Dallas Mavericks are trying since they got rid of their players... lol...

Old
11-07-2003, 01:30 PM
Healthy Scratch

You're probably right. They'll rally. They're too talented not to.

God, please don't use the Mavs as a benchmark. They have Sammy Pahlsson Syndrome: they can't finish.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healthy Scratch
And after the OT loss in St. Louis the other night, he was actually quoted in the LA Times as having said there were some positives to take from that game.
The early season schedule has been brutal... 8 games in 12 nights from 10/17 - 10/29 including travel to/from SJ as well as to NY. Then another 3 games in 4 nights after 2 days rest, all on the road.

The team was clearly out of gas in the 3rd period/OT of the St Louis game and I don't see anything Babcock can do about it. The schedule is what it is and you deal with it.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by soya_sauce_chicken
Rucchin needs to start showing some leadership and now with Carney back, i hope this helps us out in our next games. he is still not 100%. i think this will be a better month...
I'd like to hear your theory on how Rucchin is not being a leader...what is he doing wrong?he's going to the boards,playing strong defense,is playing hurt he's been doing everything he is physically able to do this team needs to start being held accountable for the results.

I saw in another thread that someone bashed Giguere for giving up two goals against St.Louis...a team that could score goals would not have to deal with the bashing of the goalie from fans....Jiggy was sharp and his team pretty much let him down after standing on his head the entire first period.

If the Ducks manage two goals in the St.Louis game THEY win...the offense is brutal, When our goaltending plays well enough to steal a game this team MUST do it because in the western conference there is small margin for error, as for Fedorovs turnover, I would have been disappointed had he done that in regulation but in OT its ok to take risks like that so I was actually happy to see him trying to create something.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:56 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

No, the letdown was mutual. The offense failed Jiggy, and he didn't respond that well. The tying goal was weak.

But he was better than before. It's really too bad we couldn't put another past Osgood, to help Jiggy's confidence.

Closed Thread