HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Vigneault to coach Canucks

Old
06-20-2006, 08:29 AM
LeHab

vCash: 500
OT: Vigneault to coach Canucks

Quote:
A manager whose physique is more Bedrock's Fred Flintstone than Philadelphia's Fred Meyer has hired "Bam-Bam" to coach the Vancouver Canucks.

Alain Vigneault, whose rampage through the minor leagues two decades ago earned him the nickname Bam-Bam, is expected to be introduced this afternoon by Canucks general manager Dave Nonis as the National Hockey League team's 16th head coach.

Bam Bam will need to punch up a Canucks team that looked stale and dispirited as it collapsed in April and missed the Stanley Cup playoffs for the first time in five seasons, costing coach Marc Crawford his job and the franchise millions in lost revenue.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...2-76d5fb7bf3ab

Good luck to another ex-hab coach!

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
I always thought he got a raw deal in Montreal and was not happy when he was let go. Should be interesting to see what happens in Vancouver.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 08:47 AM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

next season will be interesting; 2 ex-coaches and an ex-franchise goalie looking to strive in other cities.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
optimus2861

Vigneault certainly never had much to work with during his tenure here, but he never impressed me much either. Defence, defence, defence. I don't think he'll be a good fit in Vancouver.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 10:28 AM
davenash

I was never impressed by Vigneault but I'm always happy to see Quebecers get work in the league.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 10:30 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahqa
next season will be interesting; 2 ex-coaches and an ex-franchise goalie looking to strive in other cities.
The NHL teams are getting populated with old Montreal coaches: Lemaire, Therrien, Julien, Vigneault. Anyone else I'm missing?

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 10:38 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
The NHL teams are getting populated with old Montreal coaches: Lemaire, Therrien, Julien, Vigneault. Anyone else I'm missing?
I was thinking the same thing when I heard the news on the Team 990.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 10:49 AM
22SteveBegin22

Quote:
All the other teams will know our secrets!

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 10:52 AM
All-Star

So he's now going to coach another team in need of a re-build... Hopefully they won't fire him too soon.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 10:55 AM
Marksman

Montreal has been the training ground for new coaches ... most experienced coaches who have the choise would not want to be here - poor player base and media atmosphere goes a long way (hopefully atleast one of these is changing).

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Russeltown

Quote:
There was Burns, Robinson, Bowman few years/months ago.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 03:05 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Robinson never coached the Canadiens.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 03:21 PM
19nazzy

Any information on Alain? From what I've read I haven't been too happy but I haven't read too much about him.

19nazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 03:26 PM
C-Saku Koivu MTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861
Vigneault certainly never had much to work with during his tenure here, but he never impressed me much either. Defence, defence, defence. I don't think he'll be a good fit in Vancouver.
Well, he didn't really had the choce with the team he had. And pretty much every team/coaches were like that then.

C-Saku Koivu MTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861

Alain is not the same coach he was back in montreal.

Remember, AV was a very young man in coach's terms when he was hired. Alain hired Dave King who was assistant coach and the habs pretty much played king's style. I often wondered whose team it really was especially early on. It looked more like a head coahing tandem than anything else. Anyways, I digress.

AV is more of the kind of coach that adjusts his system according to the players that he is given. He was forced to play the stifling defensive system in montreal especially that year where we set the record for injuries and we STILL came one game away from making the playoffs.

In 1998, when AV had a half decent team, he took them them to the 2nd round of the playoffs where Hasek took over. The habs shut down Jagr by using a special line against him which included a 3rd D-man on the foarward line in Zarley Zalapski who was on Jagr at all times. I thought it was a very creative move which was one of the key reasons we won that series.

AV has been mauled by bad luck, bad managent above him, and very key injuiries in Montreal. Its about time he got a 2nd chance and he will be fine

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 06:08 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
This guy was great coached 2 seasons when the habs were throttled with injuries!
I hope he has a verry successful trenure with the NUCKS!

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 06:10 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22
All the other teams will know our secrets!
It's ok. Our secret is now in colorado.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 06:11 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19nazzy
Any information on Alain? From what I've read I haven't been too happy but I haven't read too much about him.
Consider yourselves way luckier than the New Jersey fans. At least your coach has a pair.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 06:17 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
Alain is not the same coach he was back in montreal.

Remember, AV was a very young man in coach's terms when he was hired. Alain hired Dave King who was assistant coach and the habs pretty much played king's style. I often wondered whose team it really was especially early on. It looked more like a head coahing tandem than anything else. Anyways, I digress.

AV is more of the kind of coach that adjusts his system according to the players that he is given. He was forced to play the stifling defensive system in montreal especially that year where we set the record for injuries and we STILL came one game away from making the playoffs.

In 1998, when AV had a half decent team, he took them them to the 2nd round of the playoffs where Hasek took over. The habs shut down Jagr by using a special line against him which included a 3rd D-man on the foarward line in Zarley Zalapski who was on Jagr at all times. I thought it was a very creative move which was one of the key reasons we won that series.

AV has been mauled by bad luck, bad managent above him, and very key injuiries in Montreal. Its about time he got a 2nd chance and he will be fine
What they used in 1998 against Jagr was the Left-wing lock. It was invented by Dave King.

I wasn't impressed by what he did in PEI with the Rocket.

Old
06-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
What they used in 1998 against Jagr was the Left-wing lock. It was invented by Dave King.

what about what he did this year with an injury depleted and call up depleted team like the manitoba moose?

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 10:10 PM
deandebean

Quote:

He did not have a team that performed well, but he did kick some butts. He had some troublesome players, including a couple of loafers that were drafted.

The PEI managers loved him. He even acknowledged the Savard clan at the press conference today.

What he did with the Moose was as solid as what Claude Julien did the 2nd season in Hamilton (1st full one).

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
what about what he did this year with an injury depleted and call up depleted team like the manitoba moose?
He had Balej on his team , it was all about JB

Seriously i think Vignault deserved another shot and his stint in the AHL was good for him now he know the team prospects so he wont be scared to use them. Personally i would have kept Crawford and trade some players.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 12:19 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
I don't know, I didn't see Manitoba play this year. So I can't really comment. However, I wasn't a big fan of what Vigneault did with PEI in the games I saw them play (with Habs prospects of course!).

Old
06-21-2006, 04:24 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
He had Balej on his team , it was all about JB

Seriously i think Vignault deserved another shot and his stint in the AHL was good for him now he know the team prospects so he wont be scared to use them. Personally i would have kept Crawford and trade some players.
Well, Balej was out for half the season and playoffs with a ruptured kidney.

Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2006, 04:54 AM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
One thing that could be interesting with this move is the fact that coaches often (not always) go out a get players they formerly coached. Not saying this is what is what is going to happen, however it can only help fuel future rumors out of Vancouver involving a trade with Montreal. I could see a small trade involving a player like Zednik for example or even Souray. What comes back is a wildcard.

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote