HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jessiman --vs. Holy Cross

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2003, 06:01 AM
RGF

vCash: 500
Jessiman --vs. Holy Cross

Dartmouth won 2-1...jessiman did not register any points, but he made 4 or 5 amazing setups for scorers that did not convert. he made one between the legs pass to an open man that hit the post...he showed a great speed and vision. hes looking good thus far considering he scored in all of dartmouths preseason games. hopefully hell score in the next several games

Old
11-03-2003, 06:12 AM
True Blue

My biggest concern with Jessiman is his physical play (or lack thereof). His future could go one of 4 ways .
1. He can become another Bertuzzi (the total package)
2. He can become another Glen Murray (plenty of size, but only uses it as a way to score goals).
3. he can become another Chad Kilger (plently of size, but does not use it all the time and does not have great offensice instincts)
4. He can become another Tominator.

It is obvious that Jessiman has a very good offensive touch. He can set up plays, and score goals, and skates pretty well for a big man. However, can he turn it up another nothc and learn to use that big body of his to his (and the teams') full advantage?

Old
11-03-2003, 06:23 AM
BLACKBURN

I think his physical game will develope as he continues his developement and fills out. You have got to remember he is not in the WHL and in College the physical game is far less important than the offensive which he is capable of dominating. I think one or two seasons more of college and then a year in the AHL. There we should get a MUCH better idea of his physical game/capabilities. Just my opinion.

Old
11-03-2003, 06:24 AM
RGF

well dont worry---i failed to mention his physical play--because last year he railed on guys all the time---so i took his play for granted...he loves getting hit and thus far, gets through it...but he rattled a couple guys against holy cross

Old
11-03-2003, 08:38 AM
NYR469

jessiman has said that he loves physical play and hitting people

Old
11-03-2003, 02:16 PM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
It is one thing to love taking hits in college, we'll see if he loves taking hits with the pros. I like that he is saying the right things, but I will believe he can be a power foward in the pros when I see it.

Old
11-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

i still can't believe he didnt know who tom seaver is!

Old
11-03-2003, 07:09 PM
nervousranger

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
My biggest concern with Jessiman is his physical play (or lack thereof). His future could go one of 4 ways .
1. He can become another Bertuzzi (the total package)
2. He can become another Glen Murray (plenty of size, but only uses it as a way to score goals).
3. he can become another Chad Kilger (plently of size, but does not use it all the time and does not have great offensice instincts)
4. He can become another Tominator.

It is obvious that Jessiman has a very good offensive touch. He can set up plays, and score goals, and skates pretty well for a big man. However, can he turn it up another nothc and learn to use that big body of his to his (and the teams') full advantage?
That's about as accurate an analysis of Jessiman that I think you could get. From what I've heard about him Jessiman's got most of the tools. He's got size, competes hard and for a big guy has a nice soft touch. I think the question you asked will be the telling tale of Jessiman. While he's not afraid of contact by any means, will he have the determination and drive it takes to make the most of his size? It's up to him and whether he's motivated enough to become even more physical at the NHL level. Coming from Dartmouth worries me a little as far as that goes.

Old
11-04-2003, 07:23 AM
Shoot The Puck Barry

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousranger
That's about as accurate an analysis of Jessiman that I think you could get. From what I've heard about him Jessiman's got most of the tools. He's got size, competes hard and for a big guy has a nice soft touch. I think the question you asked will be the telling tale of Jessiman. While he's not afraid of contact by any means, will he have the determination and drive it takes to make the most of his size? It's up to him and whether he's motivated enough to become even more physical at the NHL level. Coming from Dartmouth worries me a little as far as that goes.
What does coming from Dartmouth have anything to do with his future? Ivy league hockey is some of the best college hockey in the country. All that Dartmouth means is that he's a solid prospect who is intelligent as well.

Old
11-04-2003, 08:11 AM
Fletch

What he means.../

is that the level of competition that Dartmouth faces is not on par with what Maine, Michigan, or BC may face. And there is some credence with that. Although if this kid is willing to band his body around and in a couple years is 6'4, 225-230, and quite solid, I don't think it would matter too much who he's pushing around now if he retained the same attitude.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:27 AM
RGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
is that the level of competition that Dartmouth faces is not on par with what Maine, Michigan, or BC may face. And there is some credence with that. Although if this kid is willing to band his body around and in a couple years is 6'4, 225-230, and quite solid, I don't think it would matter too much who he's pushing around now if he retained the same attitude.

well fletch you should look at dartmouths schedule this yr...not only will they play solid hockey in the ivy leagure but most of their other opponents are BC, BU, Maine, Minny-mankato, clarkson, new hampshire

bc bu maine come in a three game stretch all away at boston and in maine, so well see what dartmouth, and notably jessiman are made of. for all the new york area fans jessiman will play at princeton on 11/22...another good freshman they have is tanner glass-drafted by florida in the seventh--he could be good...they have ben lovejoy a transfer form bc who could be drafted one of these yrs whose pretty solid, and their offense and defense played well...dartmouths weakness is goaltending. they have a good junior and a great freshman whos green but should mature soon...they have a senior who sucks so gaudet, the coach, needs to identify that before the big games so they can win.

Old
11-04-2003, 09:44 AM
Fletch

Compare that to BU...

about 4 games against BC...same against U Mass...three against Maine...A bit tougher than a couple games against Princeton.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:10 AM
MontanaTrout

I'm with RGF. Dmouth does not have a cupcake sched. But this is all about the same old thing, that Jessiman has a soft schedule, or does not play physical or does not know Seaver. First, on the sched, it's legit, on the physical, he is bulked up to 220, all muscle this year, that's 20 pounds plus easy over last year. And he is hitting and does play D. You really think the Rangers would have taken him if that claptrap were true? As for Seaver, he knew Seaver.

Bottom line is that this year teams will be keying on him. He has though the best scoring line in ECAC. Dmouth has a decent team but hurting some with its defense. Look for Dmouth to come in 2nd to Harvard. Jessiman will explode for 55 points. He is a stud.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:35 AM
Fletch

It's not a cupcake sched.....

but if you compare it to Maine or BU or BC...while competitive, it doesn't quite stack up either on the difficulty meter either.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:55 AM
RGF

fletch what do you expect---it is dartmouth university
THEY GO TO SCHOOL more than guys at minny or nd or maine...i hardly think any of those schools are hard.. even my friends at bc and bu do jack so imagine being an athlete where you get scholarships---you do ***** dartmouth no scholarships most of these guys are extremely intellignet and some know this is it for their hockey careers..dartmouth is too hard for them to be traveling to nd or minny or michigan alot...and two fletch they just evolved into a powerhouse their recruits (that are lining up now)for next yr are even better than jessimans class and this yrs..you wont be saying what your saying soon

Old
11-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Fletch

Don't understand your post, RGF..

my only point is that BC, BU, Maine, et al, have more difficult schedules than Dartmouth. I don't think that's very arguable, despite the one game Dartmouth plays against each of BC, BU and Maine. Are you giving me the reason as to why that is true? And in a couple years, I'll most likely be saying the same thing...that BC, BU and Maine, et al, have more difficult schedules than Dartmouth. This is not meant to knock Jessiman, as I am excited about the pick, but he needs to play with the same level of intensity and effectiveness against BC, BU and Maine as he does against Princeton.

Old
11-06-2003, 01:56 PM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
my only point is that BC, BU, Maine, et al, have more difficult schedules than Dartmouth. I don't think that's very arguable, despite the one game Dartmouth plays against each of BC, BU and Maine. Are you giving me the reason as to why that is true? And in a couple years, I'll most likely be saying the same thing...that BC, BU and Maine, et al, have more difficult schedules than Dartmouth. This is not meant to knock Jessiman, as I am excited about the pick, but he needs to play with the same level of intensity and effectiveness against BC, BU and Maine as he does against Princeton.
Dartmouth's web site mentions the "Strength of Schedule" in a preview of upcoming games.

States they are playing quite a few nationaly ranked teams.

http://athletics.dartmouth.edu/sport...110503aaa.html

Old
11-06-2003, 02:18 PM
Fletch

Again...

the only point I've been trying to make is that Dartmouth's schedule is not equal to that of BC, BU, Maine, etc. And I still think that's a valid statement. I would think that the CCHA and Hockey East teams have tougher schedules than teams in the ECAC, no?

Old
11-07-2003, 01:40 PM
MontanaTrout

Quote:
the only point I've been trying to make is that Dartmouth's schedule is not equal to that of BC, BU, Maine, etc. And I still think that's a valid statement. I would think that the CCHA and Hockey East teams have tougher schedules than teams in the ECAC, no?
Fletch, you can take that view but Dmouth no cupcake sched either. Dmouth is playing some really good teams and is well on way to being a real power in hockey. Having Jessiman be such a big time player on national scene, the Draft, is going to help big time in recruiting, just as earlier poster noted. Big game tonight and tomorrow. Wish was there.

Old
11-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

RGF & Montana Trout make excellent points. I saw several ECAC matchups last season and to say that the ECAC is not a competitive conference and/or imply Jessiman won't get tested much because he plays for Dartmouth is baloney! In the last several years, the ECAC has made great strides in overall improvement in their recruiting and their programs. That's evidence by how many NHL prospects play for ECAC schools (and not just Dartmouth). Harvard and Cornell are always tough competitors. Brown, Clarkson and SLU are emerging schools who've got some very talented kids on their teams.

Also, non-conference opponents tend to be as difficult, if not more so than in-conference opponents, because for one thing you aren't as familiar with them as you are with the teams that you play against alot.

Closed Thread