HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What should/will Pisani get?

Old
06-22-2006, 07:26 AM
Realm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver_2010
2.0 million
yep

Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhoenixx
It really isn't an extra 500k.

After taxes you are looking at 250-300k (depending on the city and excluding Florida). Take into account the tax friendly structure in Alberta coupled with 90 cents of every dollar you earn buys you a dollar of what you are purchasing, and suddenly you are talking about maybe an 100-200k difference.

Half a million more per on a three year contract comes out to $1.5 million. For a guy who's not making big money could be swayed. I say he makes 2 million per.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 10:37 AM
Heavy Fuel

Quote:
Footscray
If the cap goes up to 44 he will easily get more than 2 from somebody. He can shop himself to 30 teams - his point total has gone up in each of the three years he has played in the league and he just had an amazing playoffs where he outscored every other player in the league. He has been a plus player every year in the league and scores in the neighbourhood of 20 with limited ice time - somebody's going to give him more and the money to match unless the Oilers sign him at a discount before UFA kicks in. 7 million over 3 years is my guess.
This post gives a good picture of our Pisani. Solid +/-, hard worker, good hands, somewhat streaky offensively(you think?) and not the kind of guy who causes problems. He was similar to Horcoff in that he was a late bloomer who went the NCAA route and worked hard on developing his game. This season he was almost a 20G/20A contributor, with no PP time on the third line.

Some talented team that needs a solid guy with some touch to fill in the puzzle will probably make an offer that will force the Oilers to put up or shut up. Nobody ever lost money betting against NHL GMs willingness to throw too much money around.. The Oiler's management really wants to keep him, and will try to stay in the bidding...as much as they think they can.

I would hate to lose a valuable player like Fernando, but for his sake it will be good to see him rewarded for his efforts.

Heavy Fuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Cyclops II*

This is the NHL. Don't expect sanity. Some GM will offer a multi year 3 mil contract.
It will then be a lose-lose situation for Edmonton. Let him go or pay him far too much.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 12:04 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

I'll save a lot of work for some folks. Here are your Pisani takes for July 2:

"The Oilers just lost their playoff MVP!!! "

or

"The Oilers just paid $1.7 million for Chris Kontos Jr! "

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 03:47 PM
MrMackey

My take:

What he should be making as a UFA (based on exp., what type of player he is and skill level): $1.25M

What he could get offered by a short-sighted GM who's only looked at his playoff performance: $3M

What I think he will sign for if he leaves Edmonton: $2.5M

What he might sign for to stay in Edmonton with a hometown discount: $1.6M

MrMackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:17 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan
The difference between Edmonton and Saudi Arabia is much different then the difference between Edmonton and say Dallas.
No doubt, and don't forget that in that analogy Edmonton is probably Saudi Arabia.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:18 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
I'll save a lot of work for some folks. Here are your Pisani takes for July 2:
No doubt that the spin will happen, mind you, you'll be right there doing it as well.

Old
06-23-2006, 11:46 AM
nanook

There is no chance that Pisani gets $2-3M from anyone. The stats just don't back it up. It was one playoff run, that's all.

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 05:57 PM
Oiltown16

He'll stay in Edmonton, unless an absolutely ridiculous contract is offered elsewhere..
The Oilers gave him a chance in this league, at 27, which does not happen often. He's clearly played for the love of the game and he is from Edmonton.

He may get some 2 million one year deals from teams
but I think he'll take a 1.3-1.6, 3 year deal from the Oilers

Oiltown16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 10:56 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanook View Post
There is no chance that Pisani gets $2-3M from anyone. The stats just don't back it up. It was one playoff run, that's all.
Oops
Pisani is at 2.5 for this year btw.

Old
07-08-2006, 11:17 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Oops
Pisani is at 2.5 for this year btw.
Yes he is. And Roloson is at 4 - another huge overpay. This is something new for the Oilers. In the past we had to let these guys go. I think losing Pronger had to have something to do with it but it also is part of the cost of a long run. One, the players want some of the pie and two, if you make it to the end you ony have a week to wait to UFA unlike teams that were out in April and the GM has two months to work on contracts.

What I am wondering is what GM's are thinking now two UFA seasons into the new CBA because the cost of UFA's has obviously remained very high in comparison to RFA's. Do we see more and more long contracts for players as they get within one or two years of UFA status? Do they still think that with the age coming down to 27 next year that the number of players will knock some sense into management? Personally I think a lot of GM's will go with option 'A' and try and tie up their core players for four and five year deals which, of course, leaves them exposed to horror stories if those players decide that signing that contract was a retirement policy.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 04:34 PM
Oylerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oylerz View Post
Anyone remember John Druce?

If you don't then thats alright. If you do you know there is no way Pisani gets 2.5 million dollars next season. Hey, I'm a fan, but there has to be a reality check somewhere.
Oops! I'll take my crow in a bowl please. Pass the Ketchup!

Oylerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 04:40 PM
HOF

The thing is, even though Pisani got 18 goals in the regular season, he scored a lot of huge goals. A lot of us called him clutch in the regular season. The rest of the hockey world seen it in the playoffs.

Pisani isn't flashy or anything. Remember, he got 18 goals not playing on the top 2 lines. He's a good defensive player as well.

However, I would have liked him at 1.8-2.0 million. Slight overpayment, but I guess he deserved it.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Definitely more than I thought he would get, but it's better to have him at 2.5 than not have him at all...It'll be interesting to see if he has some new found confidence after the playoffs, and with more responsibility, maybe he pots 25 goals next year

In any case, MacT has done a hell of a job grooming Fernando....

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote