HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bizarre MTL-WAS Rumour...

Closed Thread

Old
11-04-2003, 01:19 PM
Quagmier

vCash: 500
Bizarre MTL-WAS Rumour...

I was just watching sportsnet news and they were discussing the canadiens and they mentioned a rather wierd and unheard of rumour

To was:
Saku Koivu
Patrice Brisebois

To MTL:
Jaromir Jagr

Sorry about no link, it was just on TV but DAMN that is a bad one from a mtl perspective!!!

Old
11-04-2003, 01:24 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
If we trade a big heart for a black heart, I'm jumping off of Big Ben.

Who mentioned this? Toth?

Old
11-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier
I was just watching sportsnet news and they were discussing the canadiens and they mentioned a rather wierd and unheard of rumour

To was:
Saku Koivu
Patrice Brisebois

To MTL:
Jaromir Jagr

Sorry about no link, it was just on TV but DAMN that is a bad one from a mtl perspective!!!
Ummm, interesting, i don't see it as too bad. I've seen the Habs do a lot worse on trades. Jagr needs a change, it's obvious he doesn't like the sytsme in Wahsington, granted he is overpaid, but i think if they ditch Breezeby, call up Komisarek, that problem balances out and you ditch about what 4 mill (not sure) Koivu has been injury prone forever, yes he is a fan fave, but hey you're bringing in Jagr who is desperate for a new team. And when skill players get desperate, their true talent blossoms.
I think the Habs should do it and have Wash pay a fair portion of his salary.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:25 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl.roberts
If we trade a big heart for a black heart, I'm jumping off of Big Ben.

Who mentioned this? Toth?
Vance actually, they even put up the trade graphic

i was like WTF! oh... rumour

Old
11-04-2003, 01:28 PM
gohabsgo2010

Well, Sportsnet News is on in 5 minutes here in the Eastern Time Zone. I've got to see this!

Old
11-04-2003, 01:30 PM
txpd

wow...that's too good to be true. a defenseman with NHL experience that maybe could play and a respected team captain...injury prone or not. if that is something that is actually on the table, i say do it.

It would also tend to explain why the Capitals have resisted naming a captain to replace konowalchuk. Koivu would be perfect.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Kirk Muller

There are so many reason a deal like this wouldn't happen. From a Montreal perspective, PR DISASTER, money, Montreal would have Ribeiro and Perreault as top two centres, leadership, and I think most importantly, NO WAY IN HELL Montreal adds Jagr's salary heading into the new CBA.

And another important factor, well, this is coming from Sportsnet.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:31 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Jagr needs a change, it's obvious he doesn't like the sytsme in Wahsington
He certainly wouldn't be very fond of the defense defense defense system they're employing in Montreal these days.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:37 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:

To was:
Saku Koivu
Patrice Brisebois

To MTL:
Jaromir Jagr

Depending upon how much salary the Caps pick up, I'd do it. I love Koivu, but Jagr is quite simply a much better player and isn't injury prone. They'd have to let him play his game though. I have no use for Breezy and quite frankly I'm sick of Koivu being out of the lineup. This would also open up a roster spot for Komisarek.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:41 PM
BLONG7

Quote:

To was:
Saku Koivu
Patrice Brisebois

To MTL:
Jaromir Jagr

So where did Sportsnet pick this up??? Surely Jodi Vance didn't just make it up???

Old
11-04-2003, 01:42 PM
gohabsgo2010

Never mind.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:43 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Well Quagmier, are you sure you're not making this one up?

Sportnet just covered the Habs, with no word of this. And, for the record, Jodi Vance isn't even doing the show tonight. Broadhead mentioned that she's been given the night off. I see this as weird, espescially since you say she delivered the information.
Jodi Vance is live at the Bell Centre.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:45 PM
gohabsgo2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7
Jodi Vance is live at the Bell Centre.
Ah. And I'm assuming she had something to say regarding this rumour?

Old
11-04-2003, 01:46 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Ummm, interesting, i don't see it as too bad. I've seen the Habs do a lot worse on trades. Jagr needs a change, it's obvious he doesn't like the sytsme in Wahsington, granted he is overpaid, but i think if they ditch Breezeby, call up Komisarek, that problem balances out and you ditch about what 4 mill (not sure) Koivu has been injury prone forever, yes he is a fan fave, but hey you're bringing in Jagr who is desperate for a new team. And when skill players get desperate, their true talent blossoms.
I think the Habs should do it and have Wash pay a fair portion of his salary.
Jagr at 11 million per year for 5 years.

Great trade for the Habs.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:49 PM
MVP

i think this deal has more potential than most people think.

Jagr is due for 11 millions per season. Saku is at 4.25 millions and Brisebois is at 4 millions. So the equation will come down to 11 - 8.25 = 2.75 increases for the Habs, so the Caps probably has to pick some of the difference with that 2.75 millons. Salary aside, the deal is not so bad.

For the Caps, Jagr already shown his lack of desire and motivation, and Caps have shown a strong desire to move him. And in Saku and Brisebois the Caps are getting a captain who is injury pone but has a lot of characters and a veteran that the Caps can possibility bulid around with. And looking at the lack of defensive depth with the Caps, it could be actually one of very few places where it will find Brisebois to be an effectve defenceman, plus i believe his contract will be due before that of Jagr, that will be potential 4 to 8 millions saving in the long term for the owner.

For the Habs, they probably has to increase the salary to around the range of 1 to 3 millions, however, given the return they are getting, it might be worth the risk. i mean they are getting a superstar in Jagr who could very well be excited about playing in a hockey city likes Montreal with all the tradition, plus the nightlife of Montreal which has got to excited Jagr as well. The media might not actually be much of a factor for Jagr since he has been under the focus of the entire NHL since he entered the league. With Jagr and Theodore, the Habs will have two former MVP winners, and both players still in their prime. And in the east with that type of superstars leading the team into the playoff, who want how far the Habs can go.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:53 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

They kill off their leader though. I still dont see this trade happening unless 3+ mil is picked up.

The Habs get reamed, and they pick up a cancer in Jagr at an extremely high price.

Old
11-04-2003, 01:54 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Ah. And I'm assuming she had something to say regarding this rumour?
Sportsnet did part of their show tonight at the Bell Centre, Jodi Vance was interviewing a couple of beat reporters, one was Pat Hickey from the Gazette and the other guy was with Journal de Montreal, she said the newest rumour was Koivu and Brisebois for Jagr... the journalists then responded by saying they couldn't see that deal happening. Jag'rs salary just too big!

Old
11-04-2003, 02:03 PM
doc lafleur

Quote:
Sportsnet did part of their show tonight at the Bell Centre, Jodi Vance was interviewing a couple of beat reporters, one was Pat Hickey from the Gazette and the other guy was with Journal de Montreal, she said the newest rumour was Koivu and Brisebois for Jagr... the journalists then responded by saying they couldn't see that deal happening. Jag'rs salary just too big!
Maybe tomorow, the deal will be Lang and Bondra instead since we can't afford Jagr.

Old
11-04-2003, 02:14 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
I don't see the deal happening either, just figured i'd report it

Old
11-04-2003, 08:38 PM
FF de Mars

How about if they pick up Audette : Brisebois + Koivu + Audette for Jagr?

Old
11-04-2003, 08:52 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP

With Jagr and Theodore, the Habs will have two former MVP winners, and both players still in their prime. And in the east with that type of superstars leading the team into the playoff, who want how far the Habs can go.
No doubt about that....maybe Jagr will regain his passion for the game in hockey town Montreal

Old
11-04-2003, 09:51 PM
Habsolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
i think this deal has more potential than most people think.

Jagr is due for 11 millions per season. Saku is at 4.25 millions and Brisebois is at 4 millions. So the equation will come down to 11 - 8.25 = 2.75 increases for the Habs, so the Caps probably has to pick some of the difference with that 2.75 millons. Salary aside, the deal is not so bad.
Another perspective :

Jagr = 55M

Koivu = 8.75 M

Brisebois = 4M this year, 1M buyout option next year if they do want to buy him out.

55 - 13.75 = 31.25 M

Which is an enormous amount of cash that could be spent in a much better way.

Besides if there's a cap next year we're screwed big time with that 11M contract. No matter who pays for it , it still shows up as 11M on the payroll and doesn't leave much room for anything else of quality for the next 5 years. Particularly with Theo making 6M.

That's beside the fact it would be totaly silly to make such a move. We're so not ready to take that step. It wouldn't make us become a contender.

+ PR disaster.. + the risk that Jagr keep slumping

There are so many things wrong with this that I can't understand why a sports network -serious or not- would bother reporting this.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolution
There are so many things wrong with this that I can't understand why a sports network -serious or not- would bother reporting this.
So people can waste time treating it like a legitimate possibility on a chatboard.

Your math says everything one needs to know about this "deal":

Montreal willing and able to pick up $30M in payroll over the next several years?

Highly, highly doubtful....

...Or else the league is doing just fine financially.

Old
11-04-2003, 10:57 PM
Disco Volante

I suppose it explains the banner WE WANT JAGR that was being shown during the game on SportsNet... We were like What color were these guys' pills?

Habsolution broke it down perfectly. This deal doesn't make sense on our side, unless Gainey is that desperate to give something to the impatient Mtl fans... If it wasn't for the financial aspect of it, I'd do it tho

Old
11-05-2003, 04:20 AM
habfan4

Didn't this all start with RDS showing a few seconds of two yahoo's with a "We want Jagr" sign!!! Talk about a leap of faith

Closed Thread