HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What should player do to Joe Thornton to get a penalty?

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 06:48 AM
BruinsGirl

vCash: 500
What should player do to Joe Thornton to get a penalty?

To this point I was really trying to calm myself thinking that Joe is big and strong and even with all this clutching and grabbing he won't dive and so on...but ...during the last game he was openly highsticked (by S.Thornton ) and had a blood on his face.

Every time he's done it in the past he was getting minors or double minors.

What do you think had happened there? Bloody NOTHING. Not even a minor penalty!!!!

I can understand extra attention to Joe's play from zebras as a result of his unwise actions in the past but IMHO he is also a person and should be protected by officials.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:01 AM
bb_fan

Id agree. 3/4's of his suspensions were in retalition of getting high sticked in the face himself.

He gest one last night (accidental) and not even a two minute minor?

WHat do u suppose that makes him think? (and other players as well?)

If he had done without a being penalized people would be calling for his head...........

Old
11-07-2003, 07:13 AM
IceMelter

Send a message via AIM to IceMelter Send a message via MSN to IceMelter
I feel what your going through, Bertuzzi had the same things happen to him last year lots, hacked at, high sticked in the face, slashed in the wrist.

I don't know why they feel since their big guys that they shouldn't have stuff called on them.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:24 AM
BruinsGirl

I would understand if ref didn't see this but.... Joe had BLOOD on his face! Even we TV fans saw this!

Old
11-07-2003, 07:27 AM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
I would understand if ref didn't see this but.... Joe had BLOOD on his face! Even we TV fans saw this!

The ESPN guys made a good point. They said Joe gets penalized for not taking dives. He plays the game the right way, doesn't embellish, yet he gets no love from the refs when he is obviously mugged, high sticked, held, etc...

The league wants to end diving but then does not look out for the obvious infractions and rewards the divers.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Katana

I wonder if the non-call on that highsticking incident last night was some sort of petty payback from the refs for Joe Thornton's recent complaints.
I'm not a consiracy theorist, but it was so blatant it was asinine, and I'm not even a Bruins fan.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:12 AM
BruinsGirl

I found the picture:

If you were a ref...whould you notice this?

I think Joe has a right to complain about all these non-calls. At least he doesn't dive to draw attention!

Old
11-07-2003, 08:14 AM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
The ESPN guys made a good point. They said Joe gets penalized for not taking dives. He plays the game the right way, doesn't embellish, yet he gets no love from the refs when he is obviously mugged, high sticked, held, etc...

The league wants to end diving but then does not look out for the obvious infractions and rewards the divers.
It's not just Thornton, it's basically all guys in the power-forward mold. Nolan was always the same way when he was in San Jose.

As for blood on the face off of a high stick -- ref's miss things. Ricci has bled twice already this year off of high sticks that didn't get called.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:18 AM
mage23

Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
I found the picture:

I think Joe has a right to complain about all these non-calls. At least he doesn't dive to draw attention!
I'm sure the refs noticed the blood -- they just didn't know how it happened. It could have easily been a puck, his head hitting the metal statntions in-between the glass, the dasher boards, etc... If you don't see what happened, you can't make the call.

That said, the puck was right in that area, and the refs should have seen it. They botched it.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:29 AM
Thalia

Quote:
I found the picture:

That pic would make a great avatar!

Old
11-07-2003, 08:37 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
I'm sure the refs noticed the blood -- they just didn't know how it happened. It could have easily been a puck, his head hitting the metal statntions in-between the glass, the dasher boards, etc... If you don't see what happened, you can't make the call.

That said, the puck was right in that area, and the refs should have seen it. They botched it.
well if you have two refs, one watching the play, and you miss the stick the wacks someone in the face and re-adjusts his helmet, then someone should be getting demoted to minor league games, or given a few free visits to Pearl for some eye exams, or both.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
scott thorntonis joe thorntons cousin i think. i dont think it was intentional.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:45 AM
mage23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
well if you have two refs, one watching the play, and you miss the stick the wacks someone in the face and re-adjusts his helmet, then someone should be getting demoted to minor league games, or given a few free visits to Pearl for some eye exams, or both.
Great, so you've just demoted all the refs to the minors (since all of them basically miss something in every game). Who is reffing next week? AHL refs? CHL refs? NCAA refs? ECHL?

Old
11-07-2003, 08:46 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
Let me reiterate...the NHL is a second rate in most North American's eyes, because of the Refs, period, plain and simple...until someone steps up and takes accountability and then does something about these joke of Referees, then this league will continue to be considered a second rate league by most if not all North American sports fans.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:54 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
scott thorntonis joe thorntons cousin i think. i dont think it was intentional.
Yes, Scott is Joe's cousin..but like B's anouncer said
"I don't think Joe will be paying for dinner tonight!".

Intentional or not blood should be a good reason to give at least 2 min minor(if not 4).

Anyway..reason for this post was...if ref usually pay extra attention to Thornton's play shouldn't they see what happens to him?

Old
11-07-2003, 08:57 AM
guinness
those were the days

Lop off about 4 inches and 20 pounds and call him Peter Forsberg and then dive every so often and embellish your head movements when hands and arms get within a foot of your face. Then Thornton will begin to draw penalties when he gets sticked in the face.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:02 AM
BruinsGirl

I respect Joe for not embellishing anything but , boy, he must feel like a middle sister in the family!

Old
11-07-2003, 09:05 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Let me reiterate...the NHL is a second rate in most North American's eyes, because of the Refs, period, plain and simple...until someone steps up and takes accountability and then does something about these joke of Referees, then this league will continue to be considered a second rate league by most if not all North American sports fans.
Change North American sports fans to United States sports fans, and you may be on to something.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:12 AM
onearmedbandit14

Quote:
To this point I was really trying to calm myself thinking that Joe is big and strong and even with all this clutching and grabbing he won't dive and so on...but ...during the last game he was openly highsticked (by S.Thornton ) and had a blood on his face.
I'd describe what Thornton had on his head as more of a divot than just some simple blood.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:59 AM
bb_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
Great, so you've just demoted all the refs to the minors (since all of them basically miss something in every game). Who is reffing next week? AHL refs? CHL refs? NCAA refs? ECHL?

PLease, no need to ober-exagerate what i said.

There was one ref in the conrer that was looking right at it, its not like it was away from the play.

so whats your excuse for a ref lookiing right at a high sticking infractoin (intentional or not) that draws blood, last time i checked that was a mandatory double minor.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:01 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:

Every time he's done it in the past he was getting minors or double minors.

What do you think had happened there? Bloody NOTHING. Not even a minor penalty!!!!

I can understand extra attention to Joe's play from zebras as a result of his unwise actions in the past but IMHO he is also a person and should be protected by officials.
Ref's miss calls. It happens. I don't think it has anything to do with the players involved.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:57 AM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana
I wonder if the non-call on that highsticking incident last night was some sort of petty payback from the refs for Joe Thornton's recent complaints.
I'm not a consiracy theorist, but it was so blatant it was asinine, and I'm not even a Bruins fan.
I think you hit the nail on the head here with this post and I've said it before myself. Joe Thornton painted the biggest target on his jersey last year when he went to the press and attacked the league's officials to the degree that he did. He didn't leave much to the imagination at all with regards to his across the board bashing and tirades like this don't go easily forgotten when he follows them up with judgement call troubles in bars. A couple games back I watched Thornton punch a player in the face with his stick still in his hand. He's still got to learn to drop it when you're going to make a stand. His stick suspensions in the past are still on the minds of many league officials in my mind.

Closed Thread