HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What should player do to Joe Thornton to get a penalty?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-07-2003, 06:48 AM
  #1
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
What should player do to Joe Thornton to get a penalty?

To this point I was really trying to calm myself thinking that Joe is big and strong and even with all this clutching and grabbing he won't dive and so on...but ...during the last game he was openly highsticked (by S.Thornton ) and had a blood on his face.

Every time he's done it in the past he was getting minors or double minors.

What do you think had happened there? Bloody NOTHING. Not even a minor penalty!!!!

I can understand extra attention to Joe's play from zebras as a result of his unwise actions in the past but IMHO he is also a person and should be protected by officials.

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 07:01 AM
  #2
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 8,813
vCash: 500
Id agree. 3/4's of his suspensions were in retalition of getting high sticked in the face himself.

He gest one last night (accidental) and not even a two minute minor?

WHat do u suppose that makes him think? (and other players as well?)

If he had done without a being penalized people would be calling for his head...........

bb_fan is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 07:13 AM
  #3
IceMelter
Registered User
 
IceMelter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Wack
Country: Canada
Posts: 685
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IceMelter Send a message via MSN to IceMelter
I feel what your going through, Bertuzzi had the same things happen to him last year lots, hacked at, high sticked in the face, slashed in the wrist.

I don't know why they feel since their big guys that they shouldn't have stuff called on them.

IceMelter is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 07:24 AM
  #4
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
I would understand if ref didn't see this but.... Joe had BLOOD on his face! Even we TV fans saw this!

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 07:27 AM
  #5
Big Bill
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Land of milk & honey
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
I would understand if ref didn't see this but.... Joe had BLOOD on his face! Even we TV fans saw this!

The ESPN guys made a good point. They said Joe gets penalized for not taking dives. He plays the game the right way, doesn't embellish, yet he gets no love from the refs when he is obviously mugged, high sticked, held, etc...

The league wants to end diving but then does not look out for the obvious infractions and rewards the divers.

Big Bill is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:10 AM
  #6
Katana
Registered User
 
Katana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Country: United States
Posts: 166
vCash: 500
I wonder if the non-call on that highsticking incident last night was some sort of petty payback from the refs for Joe Thornton's recent complaints.
I'm not a consiracy theorist, but it was so blatant it was asinine, and I'm not even a Bruins fan.

Katana is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:12 AM
  #7
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
I found the picture:



If you were a ref...whould you notice this?


I think Joe has a right to complain about all these non-calls. At least he doesn't dive to draw attention!

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:14 AM
  #8
mage23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bill
The ESPN guys made a good point. They said Joe gets penalized for not taking dives. He plays the game the right way, doesn't embellish, yet he gets no love from the refs when he is obviously mugged, high sticked, held, etc...

The league wants to end diving but then does not look out for the obvious infractions and rewards the divers.
It's not just Thornton, it's basically all guys in the power-forward mold. Nolan was always the same way when he was in San Jose.

As for blood on the face off of a high stick -- ref's miss things. Ricci has bled twice already this year off of high sticks that didn't get called.

mage23 is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:18 AM
  #9
mage23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
I found the picture:



If you were a ref...whould you notice this?


I think Joe has a right to complain about all these non-calls. At least he doesn't dive to draw attention!
I'm sure the refs noticed the blood -- they just didn't know how it happened. It could have easily been a puck, his head hitting the metal statntions in-between the glass, the dasher boards, etc... If you don't see what happened, you can't make the call.

That said, the puck was right in that area, and the refs should have seen it. They botched it.

mage23 is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:29 AM
  #10
Thalia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
I found the picture:



If you were a ref...whould you notice this?


I think Joe has a right to complain about all these non-calls. At least he doesn't dive to draw attention!
That pic would make a great avatar!

Thalia is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:37 AM
  #11
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 8,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
I'm sure the refs noticed the blood -- they just didn't know how it happened. It could have easily been a puck, his head hitting the metal statntions in-between the glass, the dasher boards, etc... If you don't see what happened, you can't make the call.

That said, the puck was right in that area, and the refs should have seen it. They botched it.
well if you have two refs, one watching the play, and you miss the stick the wacks someone in the face and re-adjusts his helmet, then someone should be getting demoted to minor league games, or given a few free visits to Pearl for some eye exams, or both.

bb_fan is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:41 AM
  #12
Mack
Registered User
 
Mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,586
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mack
scott thorntonis joe thorntons cousin i think. i dont think it was intentional.

Mack is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:45 AM
  #13
mage23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to mage23 Send a message via AIM to mage23 Send a message via MSN to mage23 Send a message via Yahoo to mage23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
well if you have two refs, one watching the play, and you miss the stick the wacks someone in the face and re-adjusts his helmet, then someone should be getting demoted to minor league games, or given a few free visits to Pearl for some eye exams, or both.
Great, so you've just demoted all the refs to the minors (since all of them basically miss something in every game). Who is reffing next week? AHL refs? CHL refs? NCAA refs? ECHL?

mage23 is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:46 AM
  #14
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_fan
well if you have two refs, one watching the play, and you miss the stick the wacks someone in the face and re-adjusts his helmet, then someone should be getting demoted to minor league games, or given a few free visits to Pearl for some eye exams, or both.
Let me reiterate...the NHL is a second rate in most North American's eyes, because of the Refs, period, plain and simple...until someone steps up and takes accountability and then does something about these joke of Referees, then this league will continue to be considered a second rate league by most if not all North American sports fans.

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:54 AM
  #15
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
scott thorntonis joe thorntons cousin i think. i dont think it was intentional.
Yes, Scott is Joe's cousin..but like B's anouncer said
"I don't think Joe will be paying for dinner tonight!".

Intentional or not blood should be a good reason to give at least 2 min minor(if not 4).

Anyway..reason for this post was...if ref usually pay extra attention to Thornton's play shouldn't they see what happens to him?

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 08:57 AM
  #16
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Clovis, California
Country: United States
Posts: 12,201
vCash: 500
Lop off about 4 inches and 20 pounds and call him Peter Forsberg and then dive every so often and embellish your head movements when hands and arms get within a foot of your face. Then Thornton will begin to draw penalties when he gets sticked in the face.

guinness is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 09:02 AM
  #17
BruinsGirl
Registered User
 
BruinsGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bruinsville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,159
vCash: 500
I respect Joe for not embellishing anything but , boy, he must feel like a middle sister in the family!

BruinsGirl is offline  
Old
11-07-2003, 09:05 AM
  #18
Boomhower
Registered User
 
Boomhower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Let me reiterate...the NHL is a second rate in most North American's eyes, because of the Refs, period, plain and simple...until someone steps up and takes accountability and then does something about these joke of Referees, then this league will continue to be considered a second rate league by most if not all North American sports fans.
Change North American sports fans to United States sports fans, and you may be on to something.

Boomhower is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 06:12 AM
  #19
onearmedbandit14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
To this point I was really trying to calm myself thinking that Joe is big and strong and even with all this clutching and grabbing he won't dive and so on...but ...during the last game he was openly highsticked (by S.Thornton ) and had a blood on his face.
I'd describe what Thornton had on his head as more of a divot than just some simple blood.

onearmedbandit14 is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 07:59 AM
  #20
bb_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: boston
Posts: 8,813
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mage23
Great, so you've just demoted all the refs to the minors (since all of them basically miss something in every game). Who is reffing next week? AHL refs? CHL refs? NCAA refs? ECHL?

PLease, no need to ober-exagerate what i said.

There was one ref in the conrer that was looking right at it, its not like it was away from the play.

so whats your excuse for a ref lookiing right at a high sticking infractoin (intentional or not) that draws blood, last time i checked that was a mandatory double minor.

bb_fan is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 08:01 AM
  #21
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
To this point I was really trying to calm myself thinking that Joe is big and strong and even with all this clutching and grabbing he won't dive and so on...but ...during the last game he was openly highsticked (by S.Thornton ) and had a blood on his face.

Every time he's done it in the past he was getting minors or double minors.

What do you think had happened there? Bloody NOTHING. Not even a minor penalty!!!!

I can understand extra attention to Joe's play from zebras as a result of his unwise actions in the past but IMHO he is also a person and should be protected by officials.
Ref's miss calls. It happens. I don't think it has anything to do with the players involved.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
11-08-2003, 08:57 AM
  #22
Unthinkable
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana
I wonder if the non-call on that highsticking incident last night was some sort of petty payback from the refs for Joe Thornton's recent complaints.
I'm not a consiracy theorist, but it was so blatant it was asinine, and I'm not even a Bruins fan.
I think you hit the nail on the head here with this post and I've said it before myself. Joe Thornton painted the biggest target on his jersey last year when he went to the press and attacked the league's officials to the degree that he did. He didn't leave much to the imagination at all with regards to his across the board bashing and tirades like this don't go easily forgotten when he follows them up with judgement call troubles in bars. A couple games back I watched Thornton punch a player in the face with his stick still in his hand. He's still got to learn to drop it when you're going to make a stand. His stick suspensions in the past are still on the minds of many league officials in my mind.

 
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.