HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worst Franchise: Blackhawks

Old
04-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Stuy

vCash: 500
Worst Franchise: Blackhawks

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...417_blackhawks

Stuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 01:45 PM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

We're number one! We're number one! We're number one!

JSmith81x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 02:02 PM
Evilo

Justice!

Seriously, I would love to see this franchise turn it around. Hopefully this year's pick, coupled with the nice youth foundation you guys have will earn some playoff games sooner rather than later.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 02:33 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Speaking as a die-hard Blues fan, but even more as a hockey fan, I find it both sad and shameful what has happened to one of the greatest hockey cities/fanbases in the country. I remember when the fans at the old Stadium, just like the Arena, used to literaly make the foundation shake from the noise. I miss the old days when the Blues/Hawks games were the biggest of the year, and I hated every single player on your roster. Its truly sad to me that the Hawks are just another team, and sadly, have become an aftethought in that once great hockey town.

I do have 2 questions. The first is if the Hawks ever turned things around, would the fanbase still be there like the old days, or will the success of the team not matter until Wirtz gone?

The second is that do you guys feel if the Hawks still played at Chicago Stadium, the team would sell out every game? There really was no building like the Old Stadium and I still maintain that all the aura of the Blackhawks franchise was lost when they made the move to United Center. Just my opinion. Its the same reason the Tribune Company is so scared to make the move from Wrigley. The ballpark/Arena in the Hawks case became so synonmous with the team. You cant replace that. The same could be said of the Blues when we left the Arena, the only difference is we had some great teams in the new building.

Thoughts?

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 02:49 PM
boredmale

take Bill Wirz out of the equation and you guys wouldn't be so bad.

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 03:19 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
If the Cubbies ever even mentioned the thought of moving out of Wrigley, there would be riots. No joke. We'll have a bigger fanbase once the Hawks are put on television, they're capable of winning 30 games a season and they're entertaining to watch again.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 03:25 PM
Terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist
Speaking as a die-hard Blues fan, but even more as a hockey fan, I find it both sad and shameful what has happened to one of the greatest hockey cities/fanbases in the country. I remember when the fans at the old Stadium, just like the Arena, used to literaly make the foundation shake from the noise. I miss the old days when the Blues/Hawks games were the biggest of the year, and I hated every single player on your roster. Its truly sad to me that the Hawks are just another team, and sadly, have become an aftethought in that once great hockey town.

I do have 2 questions. The first is if the Hawks ever turned things around, would the fanbase still be there like the old days, or will the success of the team not matter until Wirtz gone?

The second is that do you guys feel if the Hawks still played at Chicago Stadium, the team would sell out every game? There really was no building like the Old Stadium and I still maintain that all the aura of the Blackhawks franchise was lost when they made the move to United Center. Just my opinion. Its the same reason the Tribune Company is so scared to make the move from Wrigley. The ballpark/Arena in the Hawks case became so synonmous with the team. You cant replace that. The same could be said of the Blues when we left the Arena, the only difference is we had some great teams in the new building.

Thoughts?

You are correct about the aura the Blackhawks had when they played in the old Stadium. I'm a Bruins fan near Boston and in 1994, I flew to Chicago just to see a game in the old barn before it closed. Thanks to a fraternity connection, I sat six rows behind the Hawks bench, right near Rocky Wirtz, and practically under the organ pipes. I had a copy of the Blue Line in my back pocket . The next day I ended up on the same plane out of O'Hare as the Hawks and got JR to sign my ticket! Although I'm a lifelong Bruins fan, I always appreciated the Hawks for their sweaters and the fans for their noise. I used to be able to tune in Pat Foley and Dale Tallon on AM-780 or AM-1000 all the way out here, a Sunday night staple. Now, unfortunately, thanks to our respective owners, I feel a kinship with Hawks fans for all the wrong reasons.

Speaking of old barns :
http://rdrewjr.tripod.com/Website%20...dexgarden2.htm

Here's one old barn that's still functioning. Looks like the old Stadium without the second balcony:
http://www.gonu.com/mhockey/archives/matthews/arena.htm

Terrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Hawkhead

It could be worse...

We could be the Blues...

At least we have prospects to build of of

Hawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Gardebut30

vCash: 50
Don't we already know all this?

Gardebut30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 09:21 PM
crosby_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkhead
It could be worse...

We could be the Blues...

TJ Oshie, Marek Schwarz, David Backes?

crosby_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 10:10 PM
Guy Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkhead
It could be worse...

We could be the Blues...

Blues with the new ownership + televised home games vs Wirtz......

Guy Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2006, 11:12 AM
May Day 10

its real sad. The Blackhawks have almost fallen off the radar.

It would be nice to see them return to prominence soon. There should be a revolt to unseat Wirtz.

At least you'll get a good player in the draft this year

May Day 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Hawkalyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by May Day 10

At least you'll get a good player in the draft this year
We hear that a lot, and will for awhile.

Hawkalyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2006, 11:48 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
I really hope you turn it around. Even if I'm from Quebec, my dad grew up as a Blackhawks fans, which is rather odd considering the team the Habs had in those time.

But his scrapbooks gaves me some love for your team and your my clear cut second favorite team!

Go Hawks Go!

Best road (well, call that home now) sweater in the NHL.

CoupeStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2006, 12:54 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosby_87
TJ Oshie, Marek Schwarz, David Backes?
Blues will get back into the playoffs and do more damage before the hawks sell a single playoff ticket

they got a good young goalie

the three studs they got for Pronger from the oilers will only get better

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2006, 04:25 PM
In The Flesh

I really want to see the hawks do well, even though my #1 team is NYR and #2 team is definatly chicago. THis team is ready to break from its slumber. Trust me ranger fans know, especially in New York how horrible it is to see such a great hockey city and an original six team not be successfull for so long. Its a great feeling seeing your team win almost every night after years of being stepped on. As the rangers did and the hawks will do, I think 06-07 is their breakout year. I see the playoffs for the hawks.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2006, 10:08 AM
pandabear*

Hawks will turn it around soon.

Tallon knows what he's doing and I think he's got a great plan, that I hope he can pull off.

It's been a sad few years for us, but just hold on, cause it'll turn around soon.

pandabear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Hawkhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
Blues will get back into the playoffs and do more damage before the hawks sell a single playoff ticket

they got a good young goalie

the three studs they got for Pronger from the oilers will only get better

This is sarcasm right?

Hawkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2006, 12:52 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
The Hawks will be really good, real soon.

Needs a new way of thinking in the Windy City. That what did it for my Rangers.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 10:39 AM
blackhawksmaniac

Send a message via AIM to blackhawksmaniac
Wirtz will sell the team in 2008, then we'll win it in 2009! Little far away but thats what i'll think will happen!

blackhawksmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 12:55 PM
Boston Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirtzsucks

Better protect your title, because if Chirelli doesnt flip stuff around in my beloved Boston, we could be coming for your belt!

WHAT YOU GONNA DO, WHEN 2 LEGENDARY ORIGINAL SIX FRANCHISES CRASH AND BURN ON YOU????????????

Boston Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 03:18 PM
geezette

Winning is the answer to everything, unfortunately. And, I don't think that will happen immediately. I think the Hawks misjudged the New NHL when they were re-crafting the team. Lots of teams did I would imagine that you will get home games when Chicago can go to PPV and it will cost you 10 or 15 bucks a game to get it. Edmonton already has a 10.95 per game PPV package.
Somebody has to be briging up the rear, and for the next few years, that might well be Chicago and St. Louis! However, the Hawks and Blues can rise again.

geezette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezette
Winning is the answer to everything, unfortunately. And, I don't think that will happen immediately. I think the Hawks misjudged the New NHL when they were re-crafting the team. Lots of teams did I would imagine that you will get home games when Chicago can go to PPV and it will cost you 10 or 15 bucks a game to get it. Edmonton already has a 10.95 per game PPV package.
Somebody has to be briging up the rear, and for the next few years, that might well be Chicago and St. Louis! However, the Hawks and Blues can rise again.
Didn't EDM sell out something like 39 of it's 31 home dates this year? Compare that the to probable ONE home sell-outs for the Hawks (PITT was the only one I think - maybe the DET games, but I'm not sure) and I think that Hawks PPV is a HELL of a long way off.

Call me crazy, but some organizations in every sport suck. No matter what they do, they just suck. What do they all have in common? They have ****** ****ING owners. I'm a Hawks fan, but until something changes at the top in CHI - it's going to be the same old story.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2006, 06:55 PM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

I feel for you guys not having a TV deal for home games. That has to blow. When I first heard about that I thought it was a joke. It is a joke, Wirtz that is. I dont know how a ******* like him can go on and ruin one of hockeys most fabled franchises and get away with it like he does.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote