HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timmins: "BPA"

Old
06-23-2006, 07:52 AM
Stone Cutter

vCash: 500
Timmins: "BPA"

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20.../1002/CPSPORTS

In an interview given to La Presse, Timmins goes and say that they will not draft according to position but they will choose the best player available, especially during the first round. After that they may look to address some weaknesses. He also said that the Habs list is somewhat quite different then the Central scouting one.

Also, you can find a mock draft from the same journalist that interviewed Timmins here: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...006/CPSPORTS01

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Good, BPA is the best way to go in the first round.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:05 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Is "BPA" - but a BPA-who-can-skate-and-isn't-a-goalie still "BPA"????

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:12 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

From Godin's mock draft:

16. Montreal - Chris Summers

"Summers is a really good skater who plays with aggressivity at all times. He's a true competitor who has the ability to play forward too. He's a blue-chip prospect." - Trevor Timmins

didjuicythat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:14 AM
Dragon

I always think that the term best player available BPA should be changed to highest value available. There maybe a lot of good/best players available but as a GM/team, the supply/demand factor (lots of good goalies but few centres in the whole NHL pool or versa vice), contract factor (e.g. import from Russia), UFA age factor should also be taken into account. After all the calculation with these factors then the team should go with the highest value player available. However I guess this is what they mean by BPA...

Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:16 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:36 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:

BPA means they'll pick who they like, can't get more general than that but it's better than saying ; The Montreal Canadiens would like to select the first d-man that comes on stage.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Will we really draft Summers I don't know him much, and from the sound of it, his upside don't seem to be so high for the 16th pick.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:40 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Will we really draft Summers I don't know him much, and from the sound of it, his upside don't seem to be so high for the 16th pick.
Red Line likes him a lot. I can tell you that much. I trust them more than any other scouting service out there.

Old
06-23-2006, 08:41 AM
habfan4

Quote:
After the top 7 or 8 picks it's a crap shoot in terms of evaluating the talent in this draft, it could be that the BPA at 16 is going to be a "safe" pick like Summers.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:44 AM
SOLR

Its tomorrow! *buys chips and beer!*

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:57 AM
turnbuckle*

"agressivity"? Is that anything like agressiveness?

Don't tell me sports jocks are going to make that into a word now, like they did "physicality."
It's funny - the only athlete I've heard use the old term "physicalness" in recent yesars was Saku Koivu, a Finn. Just watch - in a few years aggressivity will suddenly be an accepted part of our lexicon.

As for trusting Red Line more than any other service....not something I'd recommend if you're looking for accurate rankings. For instance - the odds Gryba being picked by the Habs are as good as me winning this weekend's Grand Prix.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 09:04 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle

Don't tell me sports jocks are going to make that into a word now, like they did "physicality."
It's funny - the only athlete I've heard use the old term "physicalness" in recent yesars was Saku Koivu, a Finn. Just watch - in a few years aggressivity will suddenly be an accepted part of our lexicon.

As for trusting Red Line more than any other service....not something I'd recommend if you're looking for accurate rankings. For instance - the odds Gryba being picked by the Habs are as good as me winning this weekend's Grand Prix.
I think its a quick french traduction that doesnt exist

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 09:18 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
Here's more info:

RLR:

Summers is vastly underrated, but there's much to like about his game. Start with excellent footwork, strong hockey smarts, and good puck moving skills, and add in a nasty streak and a penchant for big hits. Summers plays the game hard and is a team-first guy at all times.

Central scouting on Summers:

Central Scouting Report: A very good skater with agility, mobility and
lateral quickness ... has very quick feet and very good balance ...
smooth and sure lateral mobility opens up passing lanes for him, creating
options for him to move the puck quickly with confidence ... a
very good passer who hits the open man ... has a good shot from the
point ... reads and anticipates the play well in the defensive zone and
is used in all game situations ... has good hockey sense and showed
his value and versatility by playing on the wing at the end of the season
... a hard worker who competes hard – will give up his body to
block shots ... plays the body well and can deliver a punishing hit ...
strong on his skates giving him leverage and power in his body
checks ... has a long reach he uses to his advantage in keeping opponents
off-balance ... a member of U.S. Under-17 Team in 2004-

-------------

He reminds me a bit of a D version of the Higgins pick. An American not too many know about but he seems to have all the tools and mental makeup needed to suceed. My only concern is why did he play forward at times, it shows that they didn't feel he was a huge crucial part of their D, but that USA team was stacked on the blueline.

Timmins calling him a ''blue chip'' prospect bolds well for his chances of being a Hab I would say, unless even more of a blue chipper is available.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:08 AM
didjuicythat
@m_desroches

Quote:

Well, if I contributed to the use of a new hockey term, then so be it!

Quote:
The Red Line rankings and their mock drafts are two totally different things. I can tell you for instance that Gryba is nowhere near the 16th spot Red Line's top-50 list... if Sasha Pokulok can be selected at #14 in a relatively solid draft crop, then I don't see how Gryba at #16 in a weaker draft is so out of this world. Not that I feel this is going to happen or anything, but you know there will be a shocking pick at some point, just like in every draft.

Old
06-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Agree. That BPA theory is just a way for them to not look like fools and say that whoever is there we need d-men and we'll pick d-men because we need it. But in the end, we will look at this draft, and by pure luck.... we'll have more d-men than forwards. And by the sound of it, no goalies will be pick even though there's tons of potentiel good goalies that will be available after the 3rd round.

The BPA really exists when you're strong at any position. It's not our case so how do you expect we get some big centerman, great puck moving d-men or tough stay-at-home d-men. By trade? You mean with Ribeiro, Aebisher and Zednik....sure....

Even though Summers is beginning for quite some time now to receive some good reviews, there's no way he's the BPA at 16. If Timmins pick him, he goes beyond that ''great'' theory and try to guess his ceiling and based himself mostly on his skating. Which I won't have a problem with but I hope people will realize that the BPA theory is just there in order not to say a lot to people and to give themselves some room to breathe if the best d-men are gone or if the tall centermen are gone too.....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-23-2006 at 10:35 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:33 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

I don't think we'll pick a d-man before the 3rd round. No real reason, just a hunch.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:37 AM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Chipchura
From Godin's mock draft:

"Summers is a really good skater who plays with aggressivity at all times. He's a true competitor who has the ability to play forward too. He's a blue-chip prospect." - Trevor Timmins
Mehhhh.. they put Vishnevski ahead of Frolik O_o

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:42 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
I don't think we'll pick a d-man before the 3rd round. No real reason, just a hunch.
That could happen too. But personnaly I see tons of d-men, if a d-men is not chosen in the 1st round it would be for Berglund, Giroux or falling top 15 prospect (Stewart, Sheppard, Frolik).

If a d-man is not chosen in the 2nd round which I doubt very much, it would be for Marcinko, Geoffrion or any other interesting forwards (that way I'm sure I'm right... )

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:44 AM
KaptainKourage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesnake
That could happen too. But personnaly I see tons of d-men, if a d-men is not chosen in the 1st round it would be for Berglund, Giroux or falling top 15 prospect (Stewart, Sheppard, Frolik).

If a d-man is not chosen in the 2nd round which I doubt very much, it would be for Marcinko, Geoffrion or any other interesting forwards (that way I'm sure I'm right... )

CAN'T WAIT!!!!
We should trade for 17th overall pick (Wild, via EDM) and draft both of a forward (Berglund, Giroux, Sheppard, Stewart MAYBE Frolik or Tlusty) and a dmen (more safe pick with Mitera or Wishart, heck, even Strait)

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:48 AM
Talent Analyst

Summer remind me a better Dandenault ... Do you know if he's NHL ready or need some season ?

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst
Summer remind me a better Dandenault ... Do you know if he's NHL ready or need some season ?
Almost anyone drafted at 16 overall will not be NHL ready. It is rare to see guys outside the top 5 make the NHL at 18. Bergeron is a huge exception.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent Analyst
Even if we draft him and he's ready in September, he will not start in the NHL right away...the Habs will not rush a prospect anytime soon...

Latendresse is the best exemple after all...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:39 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Chipchura
From Godin's mock draft:

We I read the Draft Preview about a month ago I reported it could very well end up being Summers drafted by Montreal. He will so well the stereotype player that Timmins picks. But I would not be surprised if a big name slides. If the right one does Timmins could have a difficult decision tomorrow night.

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 12:02 PM
Maithz

vCash:
Or, selon toute vraisemblance, Bob Gainey ne sera pas en mesure d'améliorer suffisamment son rang afin de repêcher Derick Brassard. Quant au gardien Jonathan Bernier, il ne constitue pas une priorité en raison de la sélection de Carey Price, l'an dernier.

it said that BG is not going to trade up for Brassard .