HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Brassard - Injury Problems???

Old
06-23-2006, 08:27 AM
Artie

vCash: 500
Derek Brassard - Injury Problems???

I don't know if anybody else heard McGuire on team 990 yesterday, but at one point when the name of Brassard came up with respect to the Habs moving up to get him, Pierre mentionned that Brassard shoule be looked at cautiously because there were injury concerns about him.

Can anybody who is a little more familiar with Brassard shed some light on this?

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:35 AM
habsforlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie
I don't know if anybody else heard McGuire on team 990 yesterday, but at one point when the name of Brassard came up with respect to the Habs moving up to get him, Pierre mentionned that Brassard shoule be looked at cautiously because there were injury concerns about him.

Can anybody who is a little more familiar with Brassard shed some light on this?
men, maybe he'll drop to us!!!!!

habsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsforlife
men, maybe he'll drop to us!!!!!
He will not drop that far, even if he has injury problem of any kind...he's a great talent and he's top 10 material nomather how you look at it.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:42 AM
deandebean

Quote:

Injury problems? Pierre knows nothing.

The only problems I've heard from friends covering midget and junior hockey have been the fact that he sometimes gets into disagreements with his coaches. I've even heard he was responsible for his coach's demise with l'Intrépide de Gatineau midget AAA. But that's about it! Nothing about injuries.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:45 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

He had troubles with a fractured or otherwise damaged arm/wrist, I think it was, and even though he didn't miss as much time during the season with it as maybe he should have to let it heal properly, he still supposedly never regained full strength during the season. I vaguely recall some mention that his Combine results were remarkably poor, and it was assumed that his weak arm was at least partly to blame for his inability to do much in the strength tests.

I dunno, but personally if he scored 40-some goals and played as energetically as he did this year with half his strength, then I'm not sure it would scare me off any. Unless Maguire is suggesting there was any longterm ligament damage or anything like that which might come into play????

Well, all I can say is speak loudly and often on that one Pierre!!!! Maybe you can get Brassard to drop to us (I'm sure Pierre is rooting for that outcome too), but somehow I doubt it will work.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:58 AM
Artie

The impression I got was that he was in disfavor of drafting Brassard, but he would not give up a huge package to make the deal beacause he was concerned about Brassard's longevity.

Like I said I haven't heard it mentioned before, but if it was/is a nagging arm injury, should there be cause for concern?

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
The impression I got was that he was in disfavor of drafting Brassard, but he would not give up a huge package to make the deal beacause he was concerned about Brassard's longevity.

Like I said I haven't heard it mentioned before, but if it was/is a nagging arm injury, should there be cause for concern?
I'm sure some people will show up on this board who followed the situation much more closely. I remember he was wearing a cast in the games I saw against the Russians early in the fall, and I think he continued to wear the cast/brace for most of the year. I'm not sure what the exact injury was, if it was his arm, it must have been a forearm fracture, or if it was his wrist, perhaps some type of tendon or ligament damage?

That was what, October/November? If it really was still dramatically affecting him at the combine, I guess I could see it being a concern at the draft, although it's funny that nobody had been mentioning it much until now.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Alouette_19

Brassard is not a big kid, but I don't think he's injury prone.......

You know when you play with Latendresse it helps!!!

Alouette_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Stone Cutter

My guess is that McGuire was making reference to this entry made by the TSN staff during the combine:

Quote:
4:00pm et - Derick Brassard, who broke his arm early in the season, really struggled with the weight-lifting segment this afternoon and his results were well below average. He was, however, much better in the push-ups.
Can be find here: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=167627&hubname=

Stone Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:16 AM
Beakermania*

Nothing to worry about guys, its just Pierre's reflex mechanism kicking in when he hears the words Montreal and Draft in the same sentence with a players name.

Brassard, Montreal?? OOOPS gotta find something bad to say about the guy and make him look like a bad pick.

However if New Jersey were to trade up and get Brassard it would be "STEAL OF THE DRAFT" according to Pierre.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:34 AM
jcpenny

He just needs to hit the weights, watch him get get bigger in the upcoming years...

jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:13 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Unless we get a top 5 pick, I don't think trading up is worth it in this year's draft. The talent drops around top 10, but not as much as from top 5. I'm sure we could pick up a solid defenseman at 16. Trading up into the top 10 would be too expensive, and I don't think it would be worth it, even for Brassard.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:57 AM
JordanStaal#1Fan

If we have an opportunity to move up in the draft to pick Brassard, we must do it. The guy is a center with proven chemistry with one of our bluechippers. He reminds me of guys like Joe Sakic and Brad Richards, no saying he will be as good but... He has the same size, he is a great playmaker and he has a good shot. With a power forward like Latendresse on one of his wing and a fast scoring player on his other, he would be leathal. Plus, he is from Quebec and we have to take a look at him.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 12:00 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanyHeatley#1Fan
If we have an opportunity to move up in the draft to pick Brassard, we must do it. The guy is a center with proven chemistry with one of our bluechippers. He reminds me of guys like Joe Sakic and Brad Richards, no saying he will be as good but... He has the same size, he is a great playmaker and he has a good shot. With a power forward like Latendresse on one of his wing and a fast scoring player on his other, he would be leathal. Plus, he is from Quebec and we have to take a look at him.
I agree, but if it means giving up guys like Ryder, Markov, etc is it really worth it?

Old
06-23-2006, 12:03 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
I agree, but if it means giving up guys like Ryder, Markov, etc is it really worth it?
Ryder, I would do it. Markov, I wouldn't move him even if Sidney Crosby was the return (well, probably, but you see the point hehe).

Old
06-23-2006, 12:07 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Ryder, I would do it. Markov, I wouldn't move him even if Sidney Crosby was the return (well, probably, but you see the point hehe).
You would give up a proven 26 year old 30 goal scorer for someone who isn't even gaurenteed to make the NHL?

Brassard isn't a once in a lifetime prospect...He's not a Crosby or an Ovechkin or a Kovalchuk...I don't agree with trading up unless it's for one of those guys.

Unless you're just trading picks to move up. No roster players.

Old
06-23-2006, 12:10 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
You would give up a proven 26 year old 30 goal scorer for someone who isn't even gaurenteed to make the NHL?

Brassard isn't a once in a lifetime prospect...He's not a Crosby or an Ovechkin or a Kovalchuk...I don't agree with trading up unless it's for one of those guys.

Unless you're just trading picks to move up. No roster players.
Ryder can score 30 goals, right, but he is a defensive liability and most of his goals come on the power play. That kind of "30 goals scorer" can be replaced quite easily. We have scoring wingers up and coming, Ryder is not "THAT" needed. If we are to trade him it is now or never, he will never get better (or worse). What you see it's what you get so if he can grab us a Brassard or another solid prospect, why not?

Old
06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
FisherKing

I really think if the Habs want Brassard, they are going to have to put Markov on the table. To get that high in the draft, the other team is going to want immediate and substantial help that will improve their team as cheap as possible. Markov is really the only one the Habs have who really "fits the bill". He can play immediately and will make any team better. I could be wrong but if I'm in the position of a GM drafting 6th or so, and you want my pick Bob, ya gotta give me Markov. I don't think anything less would be considered.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 01:16 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Ryder can score 30 goals, right, but he is a defensive liability and most of his goals come on the power play. That kind of "30 goals scorer" can be replaced quite easily. We have scoring wingers up and coming, Ryder is not "THAT" needed. If we are to trade him it is now or never, he will never get better (or worse). What you see it's what you get so if he can grab us a Brassard or another solid prospect, why not?
You're basing that on speculation. You don't trade young, proven assets for prospects, as solid as they have the potential to be.

If "that kind" of 30 goal scorer was so easy to find, why don't we have more of them? Why are 30 goal scorers still so highly coveted by other teams?

Old
06-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Injury problems? Pierre knows nothing.

The only problems I've heard from friends covering midget and junior hockey have been the fact that he sometimes gets into disagreements with his coaches. I've even heard he was responsible for his coach's demise with l'Intrépide de Gatineau midget AAA. But that's about it! Nothing about injuries.

Scary, sounds like Pierre Turgeon Jr. Maybe a blessing in disguise if we are unable to move up

Rather Gingerly 1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 04:06 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Gingerly 1
Scary, sounds like Pierre Turgeon Jr. Maybe a blessing in disguise if we are unable to move up

Well, he goes into the traffic much more than the other. At least.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote