HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

montreal offers washington

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 06:42 AM
e-e

vCash: 500
montreal offers washington

http://hokej.point.sk/nhl/index.php?clanok=25301

i just read that montreal has offered saku koivu and patrice brisebois
for jagr.

...yes montreal has made the offer. all depends on capitals GM McPheem now....comfirmed info jagr's personal coach marian jelinek.

i hope its not gonna happend....jagr ain't what he was couple years ago...

Old
11-07-2003, 06:47 AM
Darz

In all honesty, I don't think we would have to offer that much to get Jagr right now, unless Washington is eating a lot of contract, in which case with the addition of Saku's and Brisebois's contract doesn't make sence to them.

All in all it just doen't make sense to me.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:52 AM
e-e

here's another link ....

http://hokej.idnes.cz/nhl.asp?r=nhl&...233141_nhl_rou

Old
11-07-2003, 06:58 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

********!

Old
11-07-2003, 07:06 AM
Habber

This rumor has been floating around for a while now. Any idea how reliable this site is?

Jagr would be a horrible aquisition IMO. He's the ultimate selfish player.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:14 AM
NHLcrazy

Not happening for 11 000 000 reasons (actually i believe it's more like 55 000 000 reasons)

Old
11-07-2003, 07:22 AM
e-e

the www.idnes.cz is kinda jagr's-the-only-the-best-guy-in-the-world-the-only-the-only web site. and this site is the source. (the www.point.hohej.sk just took the information from www.idnes.cz)
and i wouldn't take it for granted what thay say....however there are words said by jelinek which is part of jagr.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:35 AM
Fla15

I love Koivu and I've learned to accept Briesbois but you can't win the lottery unless you buy a ticket. If MacPhee's cool with the offer, I'd shake hands, say a little prayer and tell CJ to play him 30 min a night - EVERY NIGHT.

This is one that will certainly test the size of Bob's plumbs.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:37 AM
Guy!

I have no clue whether or not this is a valid rumour, or if it could actually happen, however it's not quite as unlikely as you might think.

First, by removing Breeze, you make the space to bring in Komi, thus allowing another kid to get into the NHL regularly. By trading Sax (and I'm arguably his biggest fan, so this would hurt) you open up room for Higgins or Plekanec, and someone would be playing beside Jagr - a great way to get confidence.

In that respect, you've opened up room for two other kids to stick in the lineup - as one would have to think that a vet would sit regularly if this was a real trade.

Jagr, even when he isn't trying, is good for a point a game, and if Gainey can get him to work, he's good for much more than that, even on a bad, bad team. Plus, and this is key, you get fans in the seats.

And this is where the money issue is answered.

Koivu + Breeze = approximately $8 million bucks. That's a $3 million difference. BUT at the average tix price of $40 per game (I think the Habs are just a smidgen below that) then you are talking about 2 000 extra fans in the building (from the just over 18000 that they're averaging now) and you end up with about $80 000 per game more. Add that up over the 30+ home games left and I think you see where Gainey might actually not be out of his tree making this deal.

The big question in my mind is this: do you build a team around Jagr?

If the Habs are about 5 years from really contending, Jagr would probably be at the end of his rope, but would he have imparted his knowledge on the kids by then?

Now, let's talk about Koivu's injury. Has he been held out of the lineup for this long to make sure he's completely healed so he could be showcased? He's been rather bitter with the media and about the injury. One wonders, considering this rumour, if he wasn't told he had to be completely healthy because he was the centrepiece in a trade...

All interesting questions that leave me...curious.

But I would hate, *hate* to see Sax go. A top-15 centre in the league.... That's an ouch. Plus he's ultimately classy and a 100%-a night guy.

A concerned fan.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:42 AM
Teezax

I don't see why Gainey is taking an interest in Jagr, doesn't make sense nor does it seem pheasible for the Habs, this trade would be a shocker if it happens, but I think that if it does Jagr will do a lot better in a habs uniform than a Caps one.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:47 AM
Blackshad

hey , we will have a 100 pts player in montreal.. WOOOHOO

Old
11-07-2003, 07:58 AM
tinyzombies

Gillett was just quoted in the Hockey News saying that the only reason he bought the Canadiens was because Bettman told him that the owners planned to "fix the system" and get salaries realigned.

Timmons said that the team only wants players that have sense, quickness and character.

Jagr is not a Gainey-type player.

Montreal plays a defensive counter-attack system.

Jagr makes $11 million a year and we don't know what is about to happen with the CBA.

Koivu probably makes us a better team than Jagr would anyway and why would Washington take on the same amount of salary?

Also, we have a buyout on Breezy at the end of the year.

WHy Why Why would Gainey do this?

Answer: he won't.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Howie Morenz

Dream on. With Koivu going the other way(I hope this NEVER happens) who will feed Jagr?????????Juneau,Perreault Saku is the heart and soul of this team.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:24 AM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*

Man, I'd make this deal in a heartbeat! Bye breezeby, bye saku..even though you're a great guy, and a talented player...well you're always injured, haven't proven much and you're nowhere near jagr's league.
Man, this would allow us to bring in a younger, more hungry..bigger d-man in Komi to help clear the crease, which we need..and it gives us more muscle up front..Jagr is very hard to get off the puck..and saku isn't. We need to get bigger, and not just that..with jagr we get bigger and more talented..and more dangerous offensively. The PP automatically improves.
Yeah we play a defensive system first, but we play this while not being able to score..so while we may hold other teams to one or 2 goals a night against us, we also score less than that..therefore we end up losing too much. With Jagr that can change.

If people dont see this as a good deal to finally acquire a star calibre player..then you're deluded. Montreal needs a jagr.

Make the deal Bob!!

Old
11-07-2003, 08:45 AM
Capitano

No question we make this deal if we can. I love Saku like the rest of you but Jagr is a first class and he's only 31. He'd have a tough time in Montreal but I think he could steer our ship the right way.

Cap

Old
11-07-2003, 08:45 AM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316

Man, I'd make this deal in a heartbeat! Bye breezeby, bye saku..even though you're a great guy, and a talented player...well you're always injured, haven't proven much and you're nowhere near jagr's league.
Man, this would allow us to bring in a younger, more hungry..bigger d-man in Komi to help clear the crease, which we need..and it gives us more muscle up front..Jagr is very hard to get off the puck..and saku isn't. We need to get bigger, and not just that..with jagr we get bigger and more talented..and more dangerous offensively. The PP automatically improves.
Yeah we play a defensive system first, but we play this while not being able to score..so while we may hold other teams to one or 2 goals a night against us, we also score less than that..therefore we end up losing too much. With Jagr that can change.

If people dont see this as a good deal to finally acquire a star calibre player..then you're deluded. Montreal needs a jagr.

Make the deal Bob!!
I agree with you...I dont think its as bad a deal as some would lead you to believe...maybe part of the reason Koivu is coming back tonight...Washington wants to see if he's ok...

think of it this way....im no Brisebois hater but who would you rather have at this moment in time...Brisebois or Komisarek? I'd pick Komisarek personally...he has things to learn but i think at the moment he's better in the NHL if they can play him regularly.this basically leaves Koivu versus Jagr...as much as I'm a koivu fan one full year of Jagr is much better in my mind over half a year of Koivu....and thats with Jagr playing like he is right now...which i think would change...i mean Montreal has a very European feel to it and i think Jagr would love it in Montreal...that and the strip clubs..!

All this for an extra 3 million in salary...which they would get back from filling in the building almost every night...Imagine a first line of Zednick-Ribeiro-Jagr.......!

By the way...i cant read Czech...how did you guys read the articles in question, do we know it actually says what was mentioned?

Old
11-07-2003, 08:55 AM
doc lafleur

Jagr is not coming to Montreal,
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Not the right guy for the job.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:58 AM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
How would we pay him?

Old
11-07-2003, 09:03 AM
Capitano

GG wanted to sign Brett Hull for 6 million a couple of year's back for pete's sake. If it would cost us $3 million, it would be worth it. Not to mention dropping Brisebois The money is there.

Cap

Old
11-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Artyukhin*

think of the jagar mercandise

i know he make s 11 million a year...brezzy and saku make 8.75 million..ok ..washington eats some of the salary...and what yur forgetten here is marketability...how many of you would go out and buy a jagr habs jersey?...merchandise sales would pay for any money washinton didn't pick up...imho

Old
11-07-2003, 09:08 AM
ShootOut

Send a message via ICQ to ShootOut Send a message via MSN to ShootOut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
GG wanted to sign Brett Hull for 6 million a couple of year's back for pete's sake. If it would cost us $3 million, it would be worth it. Not to mention dropping Brisebois The money is there.

Cap

It's actually 11 millions or, in other words, 3 millions + our #1 center + our #1 defenseman. Which brings me to my next question, with whom would he play? Ribeiro? Perreault? Juneau?

Even Jagr wouldn't get us in the playoffs.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:08 AM
Slick Nick

e-e, i only understand half of what is written on idens.cz ... What is the second rumor about Jagr with the rangers? Nedved for Jagr?

Old
11-07-2003, 09:11 AM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootOut
It's actually 11 millions or, in other words, 3 millions + our #1 center + our #1 defenseman. Which brings me to my next question, with whom would he play? Ribeiro? Perreault? Juneau?

Even Jagr wouldn't get us in the playoffs.
Saku has NEVER led us into the playoffs. NEVER. Any year we have made the playoffs, Saku was either hurt or we had other veterans to lead us (Damphousse, Recchi, Turgeon, etc). Saku is not the guy to lead us, I don't think he can hold up.

Yes, 11 million, but we'd lose the salary of Saku and Brisebois so it works out to around 3. That's a bargain if you ask me. Jagr in a "bad" year scores 31 goals. Haha, I'd take that! And I think we'd have a better chance of making the playoffs with Jagr than Koivu.

Cap

Old
11-07-2003, 09:15 AM
GilleZ

Rebierro would have the best player to finish plays in the game. I would do that trade. Igninla would be a better choice, but i really dont think he his available.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:16 AM
Go Habs Go

I would take the risk of Koivu and Breezy for Jagr. Brisebois is decent but I'd rather have Komi in the lineup. Koivu is great but unfortunately at his age, he's still getting hurt all the time, it will only get worst as he gets older. I love Koivu but in my eyes, I would take the chance to acquire a talent like Jagr.

Closed Thread