HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone see Weight drill Sedin?

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 10:31 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I don't remember that... but I do remember him going ape-poop on Marchment.
Hmm.. now that I think about it, it might have been Marchment. Honestly, I forget which M-defenseman it was, but it was one of 'em. He got knee-on-kneed, came back, then a VICIOUS slash to the head - two handed. He got suspended, I forget how long though.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:33 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Hmm.. now that I think about it, it might have been Marchment. Honestly, I forget which M-defenseman it was, but it was one of 'em. He got knee-on-kneed, came back, then a VICIOUS slash to the head - two handed. He got suspended, I forget how long though.
It was marchment... but it wasn't a slash.

He cross-checked him, and then dropped his gloves as marchment was going down and proceeded to beat up on him for a bit.

He got like 39 pims that game, but he didn't get suspended for that one.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Hemmer

I don't remember a two-hander to Matvichuk, but I do remember a hit from behind that Weight layed on him, earning him a game misconduct in the 2001 West Quarterfinals. That was the game where Comrie scored the winner in OT on a broken play by Ryan Smyth behind the net.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
I remember that game it was in San Jose I believe marchment got a knee out on Weight (that was the season after he had his knee injured) Weight got right back up and went straight for Marchment, I think weight slashed or cross-checked Marchment.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:04 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
copperandblue,

I am a big fan of Weight too, and still am even after this. But to say he doesn't have a history of doing this isn't correct.

Remember the two-handed slash to Matvichuk's face in the playoffs a couple years back? He was an Oiler then.
Yeah it was Marchment and I remember.

Look I didn't say he was a saint but he hardly ranks as a dirty player and that is all I was getting at.

I was tryingto make the point that 5 games is excessive for someone of his track record, I have seen references to Tkachuk's 10 gamer last(?) year but his track record is much more clouded and he had a stick swinging incident shortly before the one he got suspended for, and I was also pointing out that Allen has been around for much much less time and has done a lot more damage. Bottom line is that he should be suspended, but 2 games is reasonable and 5 or more is too much.

As I said, I don't condone the fact that the hit was too the head, but I can accept that every once in a while you will see players make bad decisions as a result of other players doing things that by all accounts are supposed to be called as penalties. I stand with my opinion that if the ref's call the obstruction penalty,as they are instructed to do, then the incident doesn't occur.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:17 AM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
It was marchment... but it wasn't a slash.

He cross-checked him, and then dropped his gloves as marchment was going down and proceeded to beat up on him for a bit.

He got like 39 pims that game, but he didn't get suspended for that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
I don't remember a two-hander to Matvichuk, but I do remember a hit from behind that Weight layed on him, earning him a game misconduct in the 2001 West Quarterfinals. That was the game where Comrie scored the winner in OT on a broken play by Ryan Smyth behind the net.
I remember both of these incidents, and I dont think he got suspeded for either. Just kicked out of the games. Anyone remember if he has ever been suspended?

Weight shoulda sucker punched him in the face instead. Then if he gets suspended, he can claim that the league wont do anything about obstruction so the players have to take it upon themselves to recify it.

Since he used his stick, he wont get too much sympathy and will get suspended.

No matter what, I still wish he was an Oiler.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
tsn has learned weight is getting 4 games
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=59712

Old
11-07-2003, 11:47 AM
oilswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 71
Obstruction or no obstruction, you don't go at a player's head like Weight did.
I agree with this statement. There's got to be something better to do than hit around the eyes and face.

As far as Sedins outscoring Hemsky: they better damn well do so as they're three years older and 10 and 11 picks up from Hemsky.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:56 AM
hockeyaddict101

Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 71
Come on guys, put away the Weight-coloured glasses. Chest thumpers, sit down too. Obstruction or no obstruction, you don't go at a player's head like Weight did. I have been a fan of Weight back to his days here in the Soo at Lake State, but the guy easily deserves 5 games at the very least. It was freakin Sedin! If he was THAT pissed, he should have been more of a man and drop his gloves. Going at his head the way he did showed that he is a coward to a certain degree.

I have been a fan of Weight for quite a long time and will be for quite a while longer, but he has to pay for what he did. If it was an Oiler in place of Sedin, you would be crying bloody murder, and you all know it too.

I expect 5 games but hope for 8. Yeah, I have Weight in my Hockey News Pool so it would cost me to , but accountability is accountability.

Edited to add that I just went to tsn.ca and they have a still shot of the cross check. It wasn't even a case of Weight trying to give him a shot in the face with his gloves. The pic CLEARLY shows how far apart his gloves are. It was a deliberate attempt to injure a player, and there is no way to twist it. Man I am shocked that Weight would fall to that level. NHL, you have stated in the past your desire to address head shots, now you can show that it doesn't matter who the player is. Star or not, Weight deserves to get nailed for this.
IMO, it doesn't matter if the offender is a player you like or hate, or if the victim is someone that is deemed to "deserve" it.

Weight deserves to be suspended and deserved the 4 games that he was given.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Mizral

copperandblue,

I do agree with you. I don't regard Weight as a dirty player in the least, just sometimes his emotions get the better of him. I hold no malice towards him for what he did, since I know hockey can be a game of emotion, and I know first-hand that it's easy to lose ones temper in a heated rivalry game.

4 games seems apt. Even I would have said, 'Hey, that's a bit much' if it was more than 4 or 5 though.

Old
11-07-2003, 12:50 PM
KrazyCanuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Henrik was bleeding the tiniest bit by his eye. I guess that was pretty unmanly of Weight... a man should never hit girls.
LOL hemskyfan, why don't you stop borrowing one-liners from the Flames message board and passing them off as your own. What's the matter...don't have a sense of humour so you gotta borrow jokes off posters from different message boards? LMFAO

Old
11-07-2003, 12:57 PM
Oilers Hockey

krazycanuck19 why don't you make yourself useful and troll someone else's board. For all the trolling you do on this forum I'm beginning to think you're a closet fan, or just a loser with no life. I'm leaning toward the latter. I also think you're a #**##### who should have been ******* ** ***** but thats another matter altogether.

Last edited by IceDragoon: 05-19-2005 at 11:51 AM. Reason: filter
Old
11-07-2003, 12:59 PM
KrazyCanuck19

Quote:
krazycanuck19 why don't you make yourself useful and troll someone else's board. For all the trolling you do on this forum I'm beginning to think you're a closet fan, or just a loser with no life. I'm leaning toward the latter. I also think you're a #**##### who should have been ******* ** ***** but thats another matter altogether.
#**#####? Who'd you get that one from?? LOL you are one dumb ****.

Last edited by IceDragoon: 05-19-2005 at 11:52 AM. Reason: filter
Old
11-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Oilers Hockey

Why oh why do I let trolls sucker me in? This time I am making full use of the "ignore" feature.

BTW, Weight got 4 games. Thats 2 more than he deserved.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:13 PM
theoil

I didn't see the game but didn't hear that anybody went after Weight after he tried to cleave Sedin's skull. Is that right? If nobody went after Weight you gotta wonder how the Sedin's feel about their teammates and how do their teammates feel about them. That would not be good for team chemistry if nobody stood up for them.

Old
11-07-2003, 01:49 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
krazycanuck19 why don't you make yourself useful and troll someone else's board. For all the trolling you do on this forum I'm beginning to think you're a closet fan, or just a loser with no life. I'm leaning toward the latter. I also think you're a...
If I see anymore personal attacks or circumvention of our obscenity filter you're going to get at least 3 games and possibly more.

That goes for you too KrazyCanuck19.

Anymore nonsense from either of you, and you're taking a vacation from HF Boards. I don't want to hear any whining or see any finger pointing.

Last edited by IceDragoon: 05-19-2005 at 11:53 AM. Reason: filter
Closed Thread