HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ramblings Of An Overexhausted Man

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 11:21 AM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

vCash: 500
Ramblings Of An Overexhausted Man

I love the Oilers. It's a passion that borders on insanity.

When I'm eating... I'm thinking about the Oilers.

When I'm at work... I'm thinking about the Oilers.

When I'm sleeping... I'm thinking about the Oilers.

When I'm spending some "quality time with the wife"...

I'm thinking about Carmen Electra (whoa, whoa, j/k honey! I love you!)

Anyways, like all of you (I assume), you have thoughts about improving the team, beneficial trades, marketing strategies, and survival post-2004.

At 3:00 am last night, my thoughts came to me in the form of a dream, and I haven't been able to sleep since...

(Dream Sequence)

As usual, I was playing left wing alongside Smytty @ centre (strangely, very effective in all of my dreams), and who I thought Hemmer @ right.

As the game went along, I began to notice that it wasn't Hemsky, but Dvorak on the top wing. You wouldn't notice it, though, he was threading impossible passes like Hemsky, AND going to the net with reckless abandon. Lethal combo!

As usual, I scored a hat trick to beat the Stars in game 7 (not really important to the story, but it makes me feel good about myself )

Naturally, I became interested in the absence of Hemsky. What I discovered has had me thinking about this scenario ever since...

In my dream, Hemsky was traded to Floriday for Jay Bouwmeester.

(Real time)

DISCLAIMER: What you are about to read is purely hypothetical from the Oilers perspective, so, for fans of the Panthers, please don't go flappin' yer wings about the sacralige of trading JayBo. It's PURELY HYPOTHETICAL!! However, your constructive opinion is important to me, so please post if you have something insightful to add. Thanks in advance.

Okay, here's where you all come in. Let's assume that Hemsky contnues on his current pace and ends up with between 70 and 75 points this year... his stock is at an all-time high. Suppose that the Oilers finish the regular campaign in the top 5 in goals for, but in the bottom 5 in goals against.

Suppose in an effort to increase his goal scoring woes, and realizing he has a stable full of young, promisning defencemen, Rick Dudley offers up Jay Bouwmeester (+?) for Ales Hemsky (+?)

First of all, do you make the deal at all?

Second, What would it need on either side of the equation to make it happen?

Thoughts? (Other than I need psychiatric help, I'm well aware of that, thanks )

Old
11-07-2003, 02:51 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
Suppose in an effort to increase his goal scoring woes, and realizing he has a stable full of young, promisning defencemen, Rick Dudley offers up Jay Bouwmeester (+?) for Ales Hemsky (+?)
I would say "F_ _CK OFF RICK"

Old
11-07-2003, 03:41 PM
Oi'll say!

I'm happier with our d prospects than I am with our rw prospects, there are only 6 spots and most of them need to be filled by veterans. We still have Semi, Bergie, Lynch, and Greene to work in full time. We have no natural rw's of note in the system aside from the guys already in the starting lineup.

Would I trade Hemsky for JBo?

Dunno, I haven't seen a whole lot of JBo to tell the truth, definitely not enough to make a judgement call of that magnitude. I'd say no for sure at this point.

Old
11-07-2003, 04:24 PM
creative giant*

If lowe really did get death threats for the carter and niinimaa trades, i think he would fear for his life if he did trade hemsky now. There are a lot of whackos out there with access to both blunt and pointy objects.....anyways, i would not go for this right now purely because when the oilers were top 5 in goals against a few years back, we were, imo, no better than we are now. i'd like to see how a team that is top 5 in scoring would fare in a goal-starved league. Btw, next to sunil shetty (see pic left), hemsky is my second biggest hero so i guess you could i say i wouldn;t trade him for a whole army of jay boumeesters!!

Old
11-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Hairball

Nope. The Oiler's organization is full of defensive minded people. Management and Coaching. When it comes to recognizing defensive talent and getting the best out of our defensemen, they are tops. It seems that dmen play above themselves when they play here. So my argument is that it is much harder for them to develop and aquire top end offensive talent. Following, we should keep hold of whatever we can as far as that goes. (That's the problem with the Comrie situation. We need the top end talent and have it and can't use it. That's why everyone wants quality over quantity. I don't want to turn this into yet another Comrie thread. It's kinda relevant though.)

Closed Thread