HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jay McKee refuses deal from Buffalo

Old
06-23-2006, 08:36 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Jay McKee refuses deal from Buffalo

From Buffalo's Board:

McKee was on WGR today. Highlights:

Said that the Sabres made him an offer, but it was too low. Said that he thinks the Sabres knew that he would not accept it. The Sabres and McKee's agent are not talking right now.

Said that UFA status is something that players work for and "he has no idea where he will end up."

Said that he will see what kind of contracts other teams will offer and then will see if the Sabres will offer him similar money.

Said that he holds no grudge from last summer and that he'd still love to play with the Sabres, still thinks they are close to winning the cup. But again "has no idea what will happen after July 1st."

If anyone can give him the money he wants, it should be us. He is by far my #1 target and I think he should be in a Blueshirt.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:43 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77
If anyone can give him the money he wants, it should be us. He is by far my #1 target and I think he should be in a Blueshirt.
Sure, he would be nice. However, it cannot be overlooked that he is NOT a # 1, 2 or 3 type of defenseman. As such, you cannot pay him that much money. This not a $3.5m type of player. I like him a lot too, but his limitations should not be overlooked.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:45 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Sure, he would be nice. However, it cannot be overlooked that he is NOT a # 1, 2 or 3 type of defenseman. As such, you cannot pay him that much money. This not a $3.5m type of player. I like him a lot too, but his limitations should not be overlooked.
This is true, but he also just said it was too low, so we dont know how much was he was offered. If its in the price range for a 2nd pairing defensemen, I think we do it because McKee is one of the best 2nd pairing defensemen out there.

Old
06-23-2006, 08:49 AM
Fletch

Sounds like exactly what the Rangers need...

a guy who's worked all his life for a big payday, and will go wherever the biggest payday is.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 08:53 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
a guy who's worked all his life for a big payday, and will go wherever the biggest payday is.
that's the vast majority of the players in the NHL...you can't get away from it. why are we even talking about signing free agents at all if that's what we think of them? everyone thinks they're worth a certain amount and everyone wants to get paid

If the price is right, I'd like to see the Rangers make an offer. But there's no need to overpay

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Fletch

I don't disagree, Levitate...

but everytime I hear direct quotes like that it takes me back to a bad place (1998-2005). I understand that most every UFA is like that, but these reminders sometimes make me bitter.

I still would actually like to go a bit higher-end on McKee. He just seems like a guy you overpay for and are quickly disappointed because he's not the same player you saw the previous year (or, he's signed and we all think he's a top guy when he really isn't). A guy like Redden, or even Jovo, each who would cost much more, I believe would thrive wherever they go and would not disappoint. Sorry I can't elaborate since it's really just a gut.

Old
06-23-2006, 09:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

All players have limitations.I would rather pay Jay McKee $3.5 million per,than overpay Bryan McCabe at nearly $6 million plus a NMC

Jay McKee-4 years/$14 million

McKee has always been one of my favorites.Solid player.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 09:31 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
but everytime I hear direct quotes like that it takes me back to a bad place (1998-2005). I understand that most every UFA is like that, but these reminders sometimes make me bitter.

I still would actually like to go a bit higher-end on McKee. He just seems like a guy you overpay for and are quickly disappointed because he's not the same player you saw the previous year (or, he's signed and we all think he's a top guy when he really isn't). A guy like Redden, or even Jovo, each who would cost much more, I believe would thrive wherever they go and would not disappoint. Sorry I can't elaborate since it's really just a gut.
I definitely agree on Redden over McKee (though I really don't like Jovo that much...I see him as the type of guy that would drive Rangers fans mad). I'd much rather the Rangers focus on landing Redden, but if they can't then McKee is the kind of guy that the Rangers D needs. He's a tough, physical defenseman who is skilled enough to keep up (though you don't expect any real offense out of him). The Rangers have Kaspar but I've always felt Kaspar's grit lies more in throwing big hits rather than working over guys in front of the net.

Like I said, at the right price Mckee wouldn't be a bad pickup

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Fletch

I say Jovo...

because I'm a homer. Been a fan of his for a really long time. I always wanted to see he and McLaren in a Rangers uniform for some reason. I agree that Jovo does sometimes go out of the way to take a stupid penalty, but like I said, I'm a homer when it comes to Jovo.

Old
06-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Why on earth is Buffalo trying to low-ball McKee? They are playing with fire big time here.

06-23-2006, 10:14 AM
bigblue21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Why on earth is Buffalo trying to low-ball McKee? They are playing with fire big time here.
It does seem pretty silly, especially since not only has he played there forever but he's the best/only defensive physical D-man they have.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21
It does seem pretty silly, especially since not only has he played there forever but he's the best/only defensive physical D-man they have.
The thing is I remember about a month ago he said he didn't want to break the Sabres bank for them to keep him - that's how much he loved being a Sabre - and I'm sure he wasn't suggesting he would play for peanuts for them.

Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:38 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
The thing is I remember about a month ago he said he didn't want to break the Sabres bank for them to keep him - that's how much he loved being a Sabre - and I'm sure he wasn't suggesting he would play for peanuts for them.
Thats pretty crazy if that's his true sentiments. I've heard of team players, but never a team player who is on a different team.

Old
06-23-2006, 10:46 AM
bigblue21

Quote:
Thats pretty crazy if that's his true sentiments. I've heard of team players, but never a team player who is on a different team.
Hmm, on second thought maybe we should avoid this guy...unless his impact is going to outweigh the 4 games against Buffalo that he clearly will throw for the Sabres.

The double agent hockey player, a rare specimen.

bigblue21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 10:50 AM
joshjull

Quote:

Because Darcy and the team are cheap as hell. They throw nickels around like manhole covers. I agree they are playing with fire not just because they might lose Mckee but the message it sends to the rest of the team. Give everthing you got to this orginization then go elsewhere my son for your reward

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:00 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Don't forget Buffalo did not sign Jay McKee to a contract last summer when they knew he was going to be unrestricted this summer.McKee played out the final season of his contract.He played his *** off without any financial security beyond 2005-06.Blocked every shot.Never shied away from a hit.When it comes time to reward McKee,they don't

Old
06-23-2006, 11:02 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I just don't buy into the McKee hype.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull
Because Darcy and the team are cheap as hell. They throw nickels around like manhole covers. I agree they are playing with fire not just because they might lose Mckee but the message it sends to the rest of the team. Give everthing you got to this orginization then go elsewhere my son for your reward
Look at how many players Buffalo has to sign.It looks like Tom Golisano doesn't want to commit the extra dollars to win a Cup.Buffalo is not that far away.If their defense was healthy,they would have beat Carolina

Old
06-23-2006, 11:08 AM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by njranger21
Hmm, on second thought maybe we should avoid this guy...unless his impact is going to outweigh the 4 games against Buffalo that he clearly will throw for the Sabres.

The double agent hockey player, a rare specimen.
Not that rare. Sykora hitting 47 posts against the Devils.

Old
06-23-2006, 11:09 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Look at how many players Buffalo has to sign.It looks like Tom Golisano doesn't want to commit the extra dollars to win a Cup.Buffalo is not that far away.If their defense was healthy,they would have beat Carolina

Darcy will make or break his rep this offseason. Three important UFAs McKee, Grier and Teppo. I only see Teppo coming back. Then there are many RFAs some of whom will be UFAs next offseason if he doesn't lock them up; Briere, Dumont Kotalik, Afinogenov, Connolly,Tallinder and Lydman. Then Drury's contract is up after next year as well. If they are going to be cheap as usual this team will fall apart in a few years. I may have missed one or two RFAs but basically this team is very much in flux this offseason. They should be able to keep the bulk of the team together for next season but after that who knows.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:10 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982
I just don't buy into the McKee hype.
Guess you haven't see McKee play

Old
06-23-2006, 11:20 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull
Darcy will make or break his rep this offseason. Three important UFAs McKee, Grier and Teppo. I only see Teppo coming back. Then there are many RFAs some of whom will be UFAs next offseason if he doesn't lock them up; Briere, Dumont Kotalik, Afinogenov, Connolly,Tallinder and Lydman. Then Drury's contract is up after next year as well. If they are going to be cheap as usual this team will fall apart in a few years. I may have missed one or two RFAs but basically this team is very much in flux this offseason. They should be able to keep the bulk of the team together for next season but after that who knows.
Regier is a very deliberate guy.Very conservative.He analyzes one issue a million times before he makes a decision.I remember when Darcy was Don Maloney's assistant GM with the Islanders,Darcy wouldn't confirm if the sky is blue if he was asked the question about the color of the sky.He waited until the last second to trade Dominik Hasek.Had the contract dispute with Donald Audette.Waited forever to trade a goaltender and then only received a draft pick in return.The Michael Peca trade.Peca sat an entire season before Regier moved him.He can't until the players hit the open market because most of them will sign with other clubs

Old
06-23-2006, 11:31 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
I've seen almost half their games this year and every playoff game, is that enough? Look, the guy is a second pairing guy who blocks a lot of shot, plays fairly physically and provides leadership. That's a nice package, but he is not Chara, Pronger, Redden, or any of the other top notch free agents. Buffalo, or the Rangers, having Mckee does not make or break the team.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:35 AM
The Big Chill

Send a message via AIM to The Big Chill
Quote:
This is true, but he also just said it was too low, so we dont know how much was he was offered. If its in the price range for a 2nd pairing defensemen, I think we do it because McKee is one of the best 2nd pairing defensemen out there.
He IS a good #1 or #2 defenseman but we just didn't use him that way... we just had Lydman and Tallinder as top 2 defensemen.

The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2006, 11:35 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Pretty much the most underrated defensive-minded defenseman in the NHL.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote