HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

avs/wiemer proposal

Closed Thread

Old
11-10-2003, 12:32 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
avs/wiemer proposal

hearing that the isles want to cut payroll i think the avs would be interested in adding wiemer, not sure what he would cost or what the isle need but how about this:

idea #1

col: wiemer

NYI: Was 3rd 04

idea #2

NYI: steve moore, col 5th 04

idea #3

col: wiemer & cairns

Nyi: moore & Fla 2nd 04

thoughts?

Old
11-10-2003, 12:36 PM
Tiki

Send a message via ICQ to Tiki
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
idea #1

NYI: Was 3rd 04

idea #2

NYI: steve moore, col 5th 04

idea #3

col: wiemer & cairns

Nyi: moore & Fla 2nd 04
Seeing its a $$$$ dump and little else give me Deal #1 and fire up the fax!

The Isles put up a story on thier site saying Weimer would be moved do to the emerging young forwards on the team who make less. Also MM said out side of moving him there is not much else going on at the momment. Hopefully this cools down some of the Hamrlik nad Peca rumors.

-Tiki

Old
11-10-2003, 12:42 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki

The Isles put up a story on thier site saying Weimer would be moved do to the emerging young forwards on the team who make less. Also MM said out side of moving him there is not much else going on at the momment. Hopefully this cools down some of the Hamrlik nad Peca rumors.

-Tiki
I have to say that I'll be sorry to see Weimer go. I hated the trade that brought him here, but liked him as a player.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:44 PM
islandermaniac

i also agree that the isles would move wiemer for washington's third round pick in '04. i sure would rather have branislav mezei though. that trade just got waaaaaay more bizarre than it originally was.

Old
11-10-2003, 12:50 PM
avfan#21

Quote:

-Tiki
If only it was so easy, I'd be all over it. I've wanted Weimer since his Calgary days. If it happened it would be like Christmas in November in my house. Don't mean to sound like such a fan of the guy but for once the Avs would have solid third line with size.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:01 PM
disles1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arankys
Bad horrible trade if the Isles do that. Like i said im sure their looking for some cheaper younger size/toughness.

Weimer is a great player too bad whats happening
I agree its a horrible trade but unfortunately thats all we can get--and we will be lucky to get as well. Now that its out in the press why would'nt a GM just wait and pick up Weimer and his salary for nothing in waivers.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:01 PM
Trottier
Very Random

I really think the Isles are looking for nothing of immediate contribution in return for Weimer. That is their #1 goal. In fact, it's likely their criteria for any return in a deal: nothing that will have any impact ($) whatsoever on the current roster/payroll.

As such, any of the suggested Colorado trades are plausible.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:16 PM
Tiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I really think the Isles are looking for nothing of immediate contribution in return for Weimer. That is their #1 goal. In fact, it's likely their criteria for any return in a deal: nothing that will have any impact ($) whatsoever on the current roster/payroll.

As such, any of the suggested Colorado trades are plausible.
Thats the exact reason I responeded the way I did and, As you always do, you just articulated my thoughts a little better than I did myself.

Jerk! :p

Darth,

I by no means want to see Weimer gone, but seeing that the story is now on the Isles Web site I know its not only just a matter of time, but seeing the quotes from MM it looks to be purely Dollars motivated. Add that to the play of the younger (read Cheaper) players have forced Jason off the Island.

Given those facts I think the Isles do not want a player back, but are looking to unload Salary for a pick.

-Tiki

Old
11-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Thats the exact reason I responeded the way I did and, As you always do, you just articulated my thoughts a little better than I did myself.

Jerk! :p

Darth,

I by no means want to see Weimer gone, but seeing that the story is now on the Isles Web site I know its not only just a matter of time, but seeing the quotes from MM it looks to be purely Dollars motivated. Add that to the play of the younger (read Cheaper) players have forced Jason off the Island.

Given those facts I think the Isles do not want a player back, but are looking to unload Salary for a pick.

-Tiki

I agree Tiki. I think Isles are unlikely to acquire vets at any position, at least in the short term. But, we'll see.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I think Milbury will do any of those deals. Milbury has told Weimer he'll waive him if he has to, so Weimer's trade value isn't too high.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I agree Tiki. I think Isles are unlikely to acquire vets at any position, at least in the short term. But, we'll see.
The Wiemer trade was a bad one in the first place. Granted, he's a nice team guy, but we overpayed to nab him. Truthfully, I think MM wanted to see 15 goals out of him last season and his stone hands made that wishful thinking. Oh well, now we'll see what his worth is to other GMs. I orignally thought 'Colo would be a good fit too, but wouldn't be surprised if Ottawa makes a pitch. I'd hate that because then we'd have to see his crazy ass again too many times. He's a tough nut, i'll give him that. I think he fits best in Dallas or Colorado, but could see Columbus as a dark horse. Picks or prospects need only apply for the spot he vacates...

Old
11-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Milbury's Methodical Madness

I am beginning to think that Milbury's admission has in fact raised Wiemer's value. By making it clear that Wiemer has to be moved, Milbury has pretty much started an auction. Wiemer would be useful to many teams and no team wants to see Wiemer end up with a rival. For a GM who wants Wiemer, even in passing, the worst thing would be to see him pass through waivers with the possibility of being claimed by anyone, including a rival.

Old
11-10-2003, 01:58 PM
wazee

Guess I've started thinking Lacroix's stealthy ways are the norm because it seems real odd to me that a GM would post an 'intention to trade' notice on the team website. What's next? A full page 'player for trade' ad in The Hockey News?

It would seem there would be a market for Wiemer without going to those extremes. Is this the last year on his contract? Has he set himself up to be a UFA next summer? Does anyone know what the average salary is this year? That might be the problem...

Still, I think it is worth the risk. It certainly beats bringing in one of those over-the-hill character players that the Avs tend to add at the deadline.

Dial, Pierre, Dial now!

Old
11-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Jiggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazee
Guess I've started thinking Lacroix's stealthy ways are the norm because it seems real odd to me that a GM would post an 'intention to trade' notice on the team website. What's next? A full page 'player for trade' ad in The Hockey News?

It would seem there would be a market for Wiemer without going to those extremes. Is this the last year on his contract? Has he set himself up to be a UFA next summer? Does anyone know what the average salary is this year? That might be the problem...

Still, I think it is worth the risk. It certainly beats bringing in one of those over-the-hill character players that the Avs tend to add at the deadline.

Dial, Pierre, Dial now!
Exactly! Milbury has yet to discover the fax machine.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:16 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:

Classic. Yes, Milbury certainly is master of the subtle touch. Awaiting the Gretzky-esque press conference to announce Weimer being placed on waivers. The tears of joy from Weimer, the pat on the back from Milbury, the cameras flashing...I can see it now.

If I were Steve Webb, I'd feel mighty slighted about now.

Old
11-10-2003, 02:47 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
I agree there are quite a few teams that can use Weimer.
Here are some realistic trade ideas.

Dallas for Manny Malhotra
Colorado for Cody Mckormick
Anaheim for Lance Ward
Minnesota for Kyle Wanvig

basically a gritty tough younger player should be the return
Personally, I don't think that any of those players would be of interest to the Islanders, and suspect the Isles would rather have a pick.

Old
11-10-2003, 03:28 PM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
I agree there are quite a few teams that can use Weimer.
Here are some realistic trade ideas.

Dallas for Manny Malhotra
Colorado for Cody Mckormick
Anaheim for Lance Ward
Minnesota for Kyle Wanvig

basically a gritty tough younger player should be the return
picks or a prospect please. it's the only logical resolution.

Old
11-10-2003, 03:31 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Personally, I don't think that any of those players would be of interest to the Islanders, and suspect the Isles would rather have a pick.
i don't have a clue as to what the isles are looking for, but i agree that wiemer might be able to fetch better than some of those names. the isles could possibly take a flyer on a potential power forward. for example, if minnesota is involved in the running, how about matt foy? he had a good junior season playing alongside the dynamic corey locke last year and is with houston this year. if colorado how about charlie stephens?

just some ideas.

Old
11-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Picks or prospects my ass who will replace the toughness?
Weinhandle?

You didn't list anybody that can replace Wiemer's physical role. The guys you listed were marginal prospects (Waving) or #7 defensemen (Ward). I don't think the Isles would have any interest whatsoever in any of these guys.

And, as far as replacing toughness: Asham, Scatchard, and Goddard are all as "tough" as Wiemer.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:30 PM
Tiki

Quote:
Please! Hockey news? Why go print when Trading players on E-Bay would be soooooo much faster!

Old
11-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Tiki

Quote:
Picks or prospects my ass who will replace the toughness?
Weinhandle?
Scatchard, Carins, Godard, Asham? Not bad toughness there.

Edit: Darth beat me too it (by a mile in fact) but left off Carins, so I'll leave my redundant post.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:32 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
Scatchard, Carins, Godard, Asham? Not bad toughness there.
Yeah, but Wiemer was tough and could play. That is more than I can say about Godard and Cairns.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:36 PM
Tiki

Quote:
Yeah, but Wiemer was tough and could play. That is more than I can say about Godard and Cairns.
I agree the Weimer is a better player than Godard or Carins, but in fighting value I would take either one over Jason. He asked about toughness, not any type of playing skills.

Old
11-10-2003, 04:43 PM
Darth Milbury

Quote:
I agree the Weimer is a better player than Godard or Carins, but in fighting value I would take either one over Jason. He asked about toughness, not any type of playing skills.

Ok. I concede the point!

Old
11-10-2003, 06:05 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Godard plays good for a 4th line enforcer i dont know what else you want. Cairns plays grweat for a #6 D-man.
I don't disagree with that assessment. However, certainly you make the distinction between a toughguy who can play and a player who is tough. Godard and Cairns are the former. They serve a purpose, but you do not want either taking a regular shift. Whereas a guy like Weimer, despite his significant offensive limitations, could take a regular shift on a third (checking line) and contribute (tough in the trenches, responsible defensively). And he can pack a punch, if needed.

These are the non-sexy aspects of the game that go unappreciated by some folks, unfortunately.

And in the case of NYI, I have no worry that they still have enough guys capable of dropping the gloves. What they may lack (and did even before deciding to dump Weimer) are enough big bodies to effectively and consistently play the physical game with the gloves on. Not the 19 y/o Bergenheim (yet), Papineau or Weinhandl, that's for sure.

Closed Thread