HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lombardi Molding the Kings

Old
06-24-2006, 03:20 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Lombardi Molding the Kings

http://www.latimes.com/sports/hockey...orts-nhl-kings

Quote:
Lombardi met with billionaire Philip Anschutz, the Kings' owner, and Tim Leiweke, president of AEG, this week and presented proposals on how the team should proceed. According to a league source, those plans range from tearing the organization apart and then rebuilding an idea that makes those in the team's marketing department cringe to trying to patch the holes on the fly.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 03:42 AM
danaluvsthekings

That was an interesting article.

I don't necessarily like the idea that Lombardi was meeting with Anschutz and Leiweke and presenting ideas on how the team should move forward, shouldn't that have been figured out, oh before Lombardi took the job?

On the one hand I don't like the idea of a complete rebuild because I don't want to miss the playoffs yet again. I'm tired of watching crappy hockey. But on the other hand I'm also tired of this organization's half-***ed attempts at building a team and if it takes another complete rebuild to get the organization to the point where they are consistently competing for a division title, top seed in the conference and going deep in the playoffs and making Stanley Cup finals appearances, I guess a rebuild would be easier to take. The problem there is I don't know if that will ever be the case.

The article is dead on though in saying it was time to get some new blood into the organization and that they've been way too quick in the past to hire ex-Kings just for the sake of hiring ex-Kings.

And lastly, after hearing stories of things like letters for things like Breakfasts with the GM not arriving until after the event, is the typewriter story shocking to anyone?

danaluvsthekings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 05:36 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings
I don't necessarily like the idea that Lombardi was meeting with Anschutz and Leiweke and presenting ideas on how the team should move forward, shouldn't that have been figured out, oh before Lombardi took the job?
I suspect that there may be more to it than that. When I read that, what came to my mind was that he was asking the purse holders something like "if you want a good, competitive team immediately, you need to give me the money to make it happen." It is the eve of the trade/UFA frenzy.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Well I can see it going 2 ways. Total rebuild, adios to most of the vets. Or, we make a trade here and there and see what can happen with that team. If it does well next season, DL will go with that, if not, total rebuild.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 11:46 AM
jfont

Awards:
I don't think its going to be a rebuilding situation...the article is far off or they already decided the former.

If they're rebuilding, they wouldn't be in these rumors for Luongo and Havlat...

06-24-2006, 11:55 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Why not just follow a similar pattern to how the Oilers, Sabres, Hurricanes and Ducks built their team? Take a look at how these teams were built.

Edmonton players drafted: Smyth, Hemsky, Horcoff, Stoll, Pisani, Bergeron, Laraque, Greene.
Edmonton players traded for: Pronger, Peca, Torres, Smith, Spacek, Tarnstrom, Dvorak, Moreau, Roloson, Markkanen.
Edmonton players signed: Staios, Harvey, Murray.

Carolina players drafted: Staal, C.Ward, Cole, Ladd, Vasicek, Wallin.
Carolina players traded for: Brind'Amour, Williams, Weight, Recchi, Gerber, A.Ward, Hedican, K.Adams, C. Adams, Commodore.
Carolina players signed: Stillman, Whitney, Kaberle, Cullen, Wesley, Tverdovsky, Larose.

Buffalo players drafted: Afinogenov, R.Miller, Vanek, Kotalik, Roy, McKee, Campbell, Biron, Pominville, Tallinder, Kalinin, Gaustad, Peters.
Buffalo players traded for: Briere, Drury, Connolly, Hecht, Dumont, Grier, Lydman, Pyatt, Mair.
Buffalo players signed: Numminen, Fitzpatrick.

Anaheim players drafted: Lupul, Getzlaf, Perry, Bryzgalov, Vishnevski, Salei.
Anaheim players traded for: R.Niedermayer, Beauchemin, Giguere, Pahlsson, Fedoruk, O'Donnell, Friesen, Moen.
Anaheim players signed: S.Niedermayer, Selanne, McDonald, Penner, DiPenta, Marshall.
Anaheim players claimed off waivers: Kunitz, Marchant.

Now there isn't a set pattern each club utilized to build their clubs, but they stocked their teams mainly through drafting and trades, then added some important pieces through free agency.

The Kings can still be competitive while restocking on youth (through the draft or signing unsigned prospects like how Dustin Penner and Andy McDonald were found) and adding important pieces through trades or free agency.

Lombardi doesn't have to blow up the team. Look at the current Kings roster and how it was built...

Kings players drafted: Frolov, Visnovsky, Cammalleri, Brown, Belanger, Parros. Maybe another Kings drafted prospect like Kopitar, Kanko, Tukonen, Pushkarev or Petiot has an opportunity to earn a roster spot as well.
Kings players traded for: Norstrom, Miller, Sopel, Gleason, Garon, Avery.
Kings players signed: Demitra, Conroy, LaBarbera, Kostopoulos.

With all the dead weight gone, there is a lot of room for Lombardi to add new faces and mold HIS team. There isn't much left on the roster that I'd consider dead weight.

I know many would want to see the Kings shed the salaries of Miller and Sopel, but also realize that they have a year remaining on their deals so don't be shocked to see them stick around. Besides those two, there aren't any bad contracts the Kings are locked up and committed to. Norstrom's extension was for two more seasons and trust me, he would have received a similar offer in the open market.

The Kings do not have to completely rebuild. How many 30+ players on the roster are on the down side of their career and on the verge of retirement? As long as they continue drafting and trading well, there is no reason why the Kings can't be as successful as Buffalo or Edmonton or Anaheim or San Jose.

Old
06-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I'm ok with that Ziggy, but I'd love to see Cowan, Belanger and Armstrong gone. Trade the 1st two, and send Army to Manchester.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 03:42 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I'm ok with that Ziggy, but I'd love to see Cowan, Belanger and Armstrong gone. Trade the 1st two, and send Army to Manchester.
Has it been confirmed that Cowan and Armstrong are still Kings property? I have no problem with Belanger returning and seeing how he performs under a new coaching staff. I don't see how he's any different than a player like Matt Cullen. Just look at Cullen's numbers his first couple of seasons in the league with the Ducks. Put Belanger in a more productive role on the checking line and you'll see similar results.

Old
06-24-2006, 05:05 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Has it been confirmed that Cowan and Armstrong are still Kings property? I have no problem with Belanger returning and seeing how he performs under a new coaching staff. I don't see how he's any different than a player like Matt Cullen. Just look at Cullen's numbers his first couple of seasons in the league with the Ducks. Put Belanger in a more productive role on the checking line and you'll see similar results.
I agree about Belanger. He can be very effective at times.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote