HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pyatt + 5 years = Bertuzzi?

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 07:40 AM
Juan

vCash: 500
Pyatt + 5 years = Bertuzzi?

I was just skimming some stats and was struck by how the year-to-year progression of the careers of Pyatt and Bertuzzi, from their first years in the OHL, are remarkably similar statistically (i.e., points per game).

Now before you think I am out of my mind, check out Bertuzzi's stats and you will see that he was not the big bad scorer he is now back in his first few years on the Island. In fact, if Pyatt keeps up what he is doing right now for the rest of the year, he will be well ahead of Bertuzzi's progression (actually, he is doing better than Bertuzzi RIGHT NOW, but let's not get ahead of ourselves!).

Now I acknowledge that Pyatt doesn't play the physical punishing game that Bertuzzi does, and that Bertuzzi has about 10-15 pounds on Pyatt. But is it that far fetched to suggest that by the time he is Bertuzzi's age, Pyatt might become another Bertuzzi?

Old
11-06-2003, 07:45 AM
incawg

It's not inconceivable, but it's worth noting that the step at which most power forwards fail is not having decent numbers in their first few years in the league but rather taking it to the next level. That's the real challenge.

Old
11-06-2003, 07:50 AM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
The Pyatt/Bertuzzi comparison, while not a new one, is really, outside of stats, is without basis. Bertuzzi has always had a fire in his belly, dropping the gloves and running players left and right. Thats a huge part of Berts game. Pyatt has the skills to be as good as Bertuzzi, but just doesn't have the fire that Bertuzzi, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, i think Pyatt will be a fine player, 30 goal scorer, but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Bertuzzi.

Old
11-06-2003, 08:59 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Was Bertuzzi dropping the gloves when he was 22? I really don't remember. But I think the comparison is close. I think Pyatt will develope more of a mean streak with age. I think he's going to be one of the cornerstones of the franchise

Old
11-06-2003, 09:05 AM
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoak
The Pyatt/Bertuzzi comparison, while not a new one, is really, outside of stats, is without basis. Bertuzzi has always had a fire in his belly, dropping the gloves and running players left and right. Thats a huge part of Berts game. Pyatt has the skills to be as good as Bertuzzi, but just doesn't have the fire that Bertuzzi, IMHO. Don't get me wrong, i think Pyatt will be a fine player, 30 goal scorer, but I don't think he'll ever be as good as Bertuzzi.
Good post. Pyatt has yet to collect a penalty minute this year. He may not become a Bertuzzi clone, but he may collect the Lady Byng someday... It will be interesting to watch as he progresses and hopefully, becomes more dominant and succeeds, to see if he does become more aggresive. He's only 22 years old, and while most people either have that mean streak or don't, there's nothing saying he can't develop a bit of a "hate on" for the opposition if he realizes that that is what he needs to do to take the next step up. I look forward to watching him for the rest of the year to see how he stacks up against some of the top line talent he has been facing so far, and to see if he can continue to produce.

Old
11-06-2003, 09:53 AM
RattledSABRE

If you want to take the comparison even further how about the fact that they were both Isles that were shipped out.Just because you don't drop the gloves doesn't mean you aren't a physical player.Taylor has to learn to use his size and strength more,especially along the boards.Don't forget he is only 22 and could become a Bertuzzi-like player with the coaching.From what I've seen he has progressed every season since coming to Buffalo and I see no reason for that progression not to continue for years to come.

Old
11-06-2003, 10:56 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Quote:
Where's the fire in Bertuzzi's belly to play defense? Pyatt is a superior defensive player. They are different players. The progression of their careers may be similar, just like Naslund's or Sullivan's or Briere's.

And Bert in this part of hfboards.com refers to #11.

Old
11-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan
I was just skimming some stats and was struck by how the year-to-year progression of the careers of Pyatt and Bertuzzi, from their first years in the OHL, are remarkably similar statistically (i.e., points per game).
But the comparison pretty much ends up in the statistical department because they are absolutely nothing alike as far as playing style. They're two big guys and that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan
But is it that far fetched to suggest that by the time he is Bertuzzi's age, Pyatt might become another Bertuzzi?
It's not far fetched if you look at stats. It is far-fetched if you watch them play, yes.

Old
11-06-2003, 01:35 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Well said

Old
11-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Sticky*

I don't think he (Pyatt) will turn out as good as Bertuzzi (tough to beat), but I do feel that he will be a consistent 25-30 goal scoreer who is great defensively, with great speed, ala Brian Rolsten.

And another thing, you mentioned that Bertuzzi was "dropping people in junior", so was Pyatt. Pyatt actually fought a lot in his 3yr OHL career. He fought a lot in his 16yr old rookie season (105PIMs), and whenever he was challenged. And to my recollection has been in 3 or 4 fights in the NHL. While not huge numbers, he will drop 'em. He not afraid to mess up his pretty boy face.

Old
11-08-2003, 11:53 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Are there many 22 yr old young talents dropping the gloves regularly? Pyatt is developing wonderfully. Who's to say he won't surprise us more in years to come

Old
11-08-2003, 12:17 PM
billsandsabres
hyperbole ainec

bertuzzi doesn't fight that much
from 99-03 bertuzzi got in 8 fights total
he fought nolan, s smith, j smith, hnidy, berry, fischer, boucher, and staios in that order- not exactly any big heavyweights in there
it seems like he drops with guys similar to himself- not really a "fighter" but will have a go when he gets ticked
http://www.hockeyfights.com/player_f...ie.asp?pid=207

pyatt's gotten into 2 fights in his career- lacouture in 00-01 and wiemer in 01-02
http://www.hockeyfights.com/player_f...ie.asp?pid=391

i wish i could find out about bertuzzi's fights before 99-00

Old
11-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Takeo

How can you even compare Pyatt and Bertuzzi when they are totally different players? Sure, they're both big and Pyatt could develop into a power forward type, but that doesn't mean he has to meet Bertuzzi-like expectations. Pyatt could turn out to be just as "good" as Bertuzzi without banging as much or scoring as much because his defensive awareness and mobility is already superior to Bertuzzi. Pyatt could turn out to be a better all around player than Bertuzzi in his own right, but will probably never equal Bertuzzi in the grit/scoring departments...and that's fine.

Closed Thread