Notices

Tanguay to Calgary

Old
06-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Miko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jericholic19
what does leopold bring to the avs? i know he's skilled, fast...which is what the avs needed on defense. however, i think his potential (despite being 25 years old) is limited. i've seen him play a couple times and was impressed with him...but not enough to justify a trade for tanguay in exchange for jordan and two second round picks.
I think Leopold was a underated defenseman on these boards. You'll soon see why many Flames fans didn't want to trade him. Leopold has underrated offensive skills.PP time was reduced with Phaneuf and Hamrlik coming on the scene .Leopold has a decent shot , has very good passing skills and is great top 4 on any team. I see leopold bouncing back this year in terms of offensive numbers. 30-40 pt defenseman with solid defensive play.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 07:26 PM
abracanada

Tanguay was drafted out of Juniors as a Center wasn't he? Maybe some of you Av fans will know.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 07:32 PM
CBanana

This in absolute great trade. I was thinking for a while that Vancouver was going to win the northwest division with Luongo but now things got a lot more interesting.

I just hope he doesn't start slumping like a few other people we got in 05/06.

CBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 07:33 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmer12
The big question now for the Flames is, who will play with Regehr, will Ference step into that posistion? And if he does, who will play with Warrener, will it be a UFA/Trade/RFA, Regehr, Giordano, re-sign Marchment? That will be a issue Sutter will have to adress or he has already knows what he is going to do.
I think the Flames will roll 5 for 18 - 23 minutes a game and put in either Marchmant or Ri Regher for 12 - 15 a game. We might see Ro Regher pair up with Phaneuf, Leopold owes a huge part of his development to Regher. While Hamrlik was a great help to Phaneuf last season, Hammer's defensive game isn't as strong as Regher's.

Ro Regher Phaneuf
Warrener Ferrence
Hamrlik Marchmant

After this trade I really hope we keep Marchment.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 07:37 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBanana
This in absolute great trade. I was thinking for a while that Vancouver was going to win the northwest division with Luongo but now things got a lot more interesting.

I just hope he doesn't start slumping like a few other people we got in 05/06.
The Canucks still need to address their 3rd and 4th line issues and find a defenseman to replace Allen. Luongo is an amazing goaltender but the Canucks weren't hurting because of Auld's play last season.

Flames, before today, needed a top 6 forward, a backup goaltender and one person to round off our fourth line.

Old
06-24-2006, 07:51 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Congrats to the Flames. That was a steal for Alex Tanguay and considering the Flames defense, Leopold can easily be replaced. Way to go "Panthers West"

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Zimmer12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone

After this trade I really hope we keep Marchment.
Absolutely, I was hoping too.

Zimmer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 07:53 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Good trade for you guys. Tanguay and Iginla should really boost the offensive production. Hopefully you guys can pot a couple past Luongo now

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 07:57 PM
CBanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone
The Canucks still need to address their 3rd and 4th line issues and find a defenseman to replace Allen. Luongo is an amazing goaltender but the Canucks weren't hurting because of Auld's play last season.

Flames, before today, needed a top 6 forward, a backup goaltender and one person to round off our fourth line.
I think Auld played alright for the most part but he did have some absolutely attrocious games. Also as far as I can tell, Auld stole zero or next to zero games for the Canucks.

Their goaltending might not have hurt them that much but it didn't really help them either.

And I'm of the mindset that just by itself losing Bertuzzi should improve the team.

Since we're talking about the flames needing a backup goaltender. How about Tellqvist?

CBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Calgary with 2 legit scoring threats? Wow its been awhile since this has happened.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Boomstick

I am so happy about this.
I can't believe how excited I am.
It's going to be amazing watching Alex and Iggy together.

Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 10:15 PM
abracanada

Tanguay turned Colorados third line into a scoring line. What do you think he will do for the Flames first?

Also, he should have a positive effect on Lombardi.

Old
06-24-2006, 11:07 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
I think Auld played alright for the most part but he did have some absolutely attrocious games. Also as far as I can tell, Auld stole zero or next to zero games for the Canucks.
I have alot of reasons to believe that Luongo is hardly enough to get them a playoff spot, but that's another thread.

Quote:
Since we're talking about the flames needing a backup goaltender. How about Tellqvist?
My only issue with him would be how well he responds to our goaltender coach. I've got a strange suspicion that we won't have one lined up until training camp, after Krahn is throughly looked at.

As for Tanguay, I'm thinking how this will affect our lineup.

Iginla/Langkow/Tanguay
Kobasew/Lombardi/Husselius
McCarty/Yelle/Amonte
Donovan/Lundmark/Nilson

Ritchie/Leclerc/MacDonald - spares.

A solid first line with two significant scoring threats and another 20+ goal scorer at center. Line 2 will have two 20+ goal scorers and a center who can be a speedy playmaker, Lundmark or Nilson can be easily swapped in. Line 3 is the obvious defense first line, nobody will score with those three on the ice. Line 4 is the fast group who are defensively responsible and able to score on occassion.

Old
06-24-2006, 11:30 PM
DRL
Streak killers!

Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
do u guys think tanguay will be able to handle coach sutter aggressive nature?

his confidence was shattered by coach hartley and he can be fragile at times, i know sutter can be a hard *** at times, wat do u guys think?

DRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 11:32 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
his confidence was shattered by coach hartley and he can be fragile at times, i know sutter can be a hard *** at times, wat do u guys think?
I think he is a lot older now, he was young when Hartley got to him, but I think he will be able to handle what Sutter dishes out, and I think he will do well with a clearly defined role, which Sutter is all about telling his players.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 11:36 PM
kruezer

I thought I would merge you into this thread DRL.

Anyway, despite Leo being my second favourite NHLer, this is definetaly a step in the right direction for Calgary, the defense for forward trade needed to happen, at least we won't have to put up with the Leo rumours anymore, but Colorado picked up a very very good player who will thrive in their system IMO.

As for Tanguay, great pickup, I want to see him with Lombo and Iggy personally, something like this...

Tanguay - Lombardi - Iginla
Huselius - Langkow - Kobasew
Nilson - Lundmark - Amonte
Nystrom - Yelle - McCarty
Ritchie and maybe Taratukhin in the press box, switching into Lundmark's spot sometimes.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Foppa2118

I think you guys definitely won this trade, although I think Leopold will do much better under Colorado's system, which seems to be very friendly to offensive defenseman.

Can you guys give us Av fans some of the positives and negatives of Leo's game? I'm most interested in how he plays in his own zone on a regular basis, and does he play a physical game on a regular basis?

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2006, 11:55 PM
abracanada

Extremely mobile defender. Not the hardest nosed defender, but very smart defensively. He has learned the Defensive game very well. Good outlet passes and can handle the puck well. Has been an effective scorer, but was overshadowed by Phaneuf this year. It may have affected his confidence.

Old
06-25-2006, 01:03 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
Extremely mobile defender. Not the hardest nosed defender, but very smart defensively. He has learned the Defensive game very well. Good outlet passes and can handle the puck well. Has been an effective scorer, but was overshadowed by Phaneuf this year. It may have affected his confidence.
Thanks. I know he was on the shutdown pair with Regehr, but wasn't sure how much of that "shutdown" defense came from Regehr or Leo.

Any weaknesses to his game?

Old
06-25-2006, 01:13 AM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Tanguay is a natural center...although he has played his entire NHL carrer at LW. Perhaps he will center the #1 line with Iggy on his wing...

LaLaLaprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 01:24 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise
Tanguay is a natural center...although he has played his entire NHL carrer at LW. Perhaps he will center the #1 line with Iggy on his wing...
I don't think he'll play center for Calgary. He's a better fit for the wing. He played center for a few games this year for the first time since junior I believe, and he didn't look comfortable at all.

Besides, Sutter said at the draft, they needed a LW for the top lines, that's why they got him.

Old
06-25-2006, 01:56 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
Thanks. I know he was on the shutdown pair with Regehr, but wasn't sure how much of that "shutdown" defense came from Regehr or Leo.

Any weaknesses to his game?

No glaring weaknesses....didn't score well this year but I believe that was an abberation. He will eventually be effective offensively I believe.

Old
06-25-2006, 04:13 AM
Body Checker

Great trade, very exciting for us fans of the Flames, Tanguay burned us all year so just that part is great............

Tanguay I think is a RFA, Lebrun on the Score said he is arbitration eligible and would probably get 5 million there so Sutter still has to sign him but 5 mil is what a top center would cost anyways...

Come July 1st I think the Flames will go after a #4 or 5 guy on defense like Danny Markov and a few forwards for the 4th line (Dallas Drake/Vaclav Varada/Dan Hinote)........

Anyways very unexpected which is what Sutter has treated us to in his time as GM..................guy continues to surprise me........

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 04:59 AM
AgentNaslund*

good trade Calgary. Trade a 2 goal defencemen for a top ling winger. Better then the Demitra trade, cause his glass.

Tareleone i can tell by the tone of your posts, that right now, your scared crapless that Vancouver have Luongo. Good job trying to hide it. Didnt Suter say, Vancouver is the class of the North West? It seems like you forgotten that Crowford got fired, and we promoted a coach from our farm team, that coached a crappy team that is well... equivalent to a team like Calgary flames Or minnesota, OF the NHL.(no depth) to be the 2nd best defensive team in the AHL. Even with a goalie like Oullet and Flarety. Jesse Schultz is our best player in the moose man, :dats how bad it is. We no longer play that running around style. (Marc Crowford)

We went from a good team with crap goaltending, to a good team with one of the best goaltending. How can u not be scared? well its you being blind i guess.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Flames 1st pick

good trade ...if nothing it shows that Sutter is not hopelessly stuck in a defensive system.

now get rid of Amonte to free up some cap and get a decent depth dman or an improved center.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote