Notices

Tanguay to Calgary

Old
06-25-2006, 09:22 AM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone
The Canucks still need to address their 3rd and 4th line issues and find a defenseman to replace Allen. Luongo is an amazing goaltender but the Canucks weren't hurting because of Auld's play last season.

Flames, before today, needed a top 6 forward, a backup goaltender and one person to round off our fourth line.
I feel the same way. Vancouver is far from out of the wilderness.

Calgary on the other hand prooves once again it is one of the finest franchises in the game right now. Sutter has pulled magic out of a hat.

This is why I really like Sutter: He knows WHO to deal with. He recognized a player like Tanguay with circumspect value in the market-place, and recognized the same in his own player, Leopold. He then looked towards a franchise that has been making foolhardy moves for years now ... and voila! This is the kind of move that Sutter has become famous for, and this is a deal that will work out favourably for Calgary.

I must admit, I don't even respect Tanguay a great deal. I know he can score, but I think like most of you sometimes it feels like Tanguay gets a lot of 'cheap' assists. However, one thing Tanguay does do very well is carry the puck into the zone, and make a great play for guys like Iginla to finish.

To me, Tanguay is the ideal linemate for Iginla. Who centres them? I'm not sure, I would go with someone big myself. I wonder if Jason Arnott would consider signing in Calgary? Probobly a pipe dream, but even so, Calgary can safely put either Langkow or Lombardi and you've got a #1 line.

Overall, this makes Calgary an infinetly better club overnight. This is now the team that is going to compete for the Cup again. I do strongly feel, though, that Sutter needs to acquire another Stefan Yelle pretty badly right now. I don't mean another old veteran, but a guy who can sort of take over for Yelle. I think it's crazy to think he's going to have another year like he did last year ... he is getting up there in age ... and it's best to lessen his role and have someone else take his place I think. Or at least have a guy to apprentice for a year or two to take it.

What do you guys think about who could do that job? I was thinking of a guy like Brian Sutherby out of Washington, or perhaps Steve Begin in Montreal. Not sure if either are available though...

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
Acoording to Sutter on his TSN interview right after their first round pick, Tanguay was brought in as a LW not a center.

Danny__K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 10:24 AM
theoil

Excellent trade for Calgary. I am still waiting to see if Sutter kicks himself upstairs full time this year and hands over the coaching to somebody else. That could be the final piece of the puzzle for you guys. Congrats.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 01:09 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil
Excellent trade for Calgary. I am still waiting to see if Sutter kicks himself upstairs full time this year and hands over the coaching to somebody else. That could be the final piece of the puzzle for you guys. Congrats.
Thanks for that. There is a pretty good chance Sutter will focus on the GM role. Doesn't instill a lot of confidence in whoever replaces him knowing Darryl will be there, waiting to take the team again if they fall on their face though.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 01:12 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
I feel the same way. Vancouver is far from out of the wilderness.

Calgary on the other hand prooves once again it is one of the finest franchises in the game right now. Sutter has pulled magic out of a hat.

This is why I really like Sutter: He knows WHO to deal with. He recognized a player like Tanguay with circumspect value in the market-place, and recognized the same in his own player, Leopold. He then looked towards a franchise that has been making foolhardy moves for years now ... and voila! This is the kind of move that Sutter has become famous for, and this is a deal that will work out favourably for Calgary.

I must admit, I don't even respect Tanguay a great deal. I know he can score, but I think like most of you sometimes it feels like Tanguay gets a lot of 'cheap' assists. However, one thing Tanguay does do very well is carry the puck into the zone, and make a great play for guys like Iginla to finish.

To me, Tanguay is the ideal linemate for Iginla. Who centres them? I'm not sure, I would go with someone big myself. I wonder if Jason Arnott would consider signing in Calgary? Probobly a pipe dream, but even so, Calgary can safely put either Langkow or Lombardi and you've got a #1 line.

Overall, this makes Calgary an infinetly better club overnight. This is now the team that is going to compete for the Cup again. I do strongly feel, though, that Sutter needs to acquire another Stefan Yelle pretty badly right now. I don't mean another old veteran, but a guy who can sort of take over for Yelle. I think it's crazy to think he's going to have another year like he did last year ... he is getting up there in age ... and it's best to lessen his role and have someone else take his place I think. Or at least have a guy to apprentice for a year or two to take it.

What do you guys think about who could do that job? I was thinking of a guy like Brian Sutherby out of Washington, or perhaps Steve Begin in Montreal. Not sure if either are available though...
Someone to consider, is in the Flames system already. Taratukhin is renowned for being a hard worker, and was a third/fourth line center on the Russian Olympic team.

Old
06-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java
Tanguay-Langkow-Iginla
Huselius-Lombardi-Kobasew

2 really skilled lines.

Does anyone know what Tanguays contract status is??
I would prefer to see Lundmark on the top 2 lines somewhere. He showed alot of what he is capable of offensively and I'd like to see that continue.

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny__K
Acoording to Sutter on his TSN interview right after their first round pick, Tanguay was brought in as a LW not a center.
I think Sutter is still looking for one more offensive player. Arnott would be a real nice fit, not sure if he'll be the guy or not though but I do see someone else being brought in to strengthen the offence.

Kritty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Resolute

If Sutter brings in another offensive player, it will be another Amonte type, IMO. Someone on the downside of their carreer, but still expected to help out.

Otherwise, I would think the pressure is on Kobasew, Lombardi, Donovan (if he stays) and Amonte to step it up next year. We won the division this year with only Kobasew playing above his head. More players need to step it up.

Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 06:40 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
I would prefer to see Lundmark on the top 2 lines somewhere. He showed alot of what he is capable of offensively and I'd like to see that continue.
I'd much rather have Lombardi in the top six personally, he is much less of a liability than Lundmark IMO, hence why Lombardi was fourth among Flames forwards in icetime in the POs and Lundmark got scratched three games, Sutter is not an idiot, and I don't think Lundmark has more offensive skill than him, Lombo can score 20 goals next year, it isn't completely unrealistic, he has scored 16, he just had a horrible year, but was turning it around by the end. I think Lombardi can really step up next year if given the chance.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 07:00 PM
Body Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritty
I think Sutter is still looking for one more offensive player. Arnott would be a real nice fit, not sure if he'll be the guy or not though but I do see someone else being brought in to strengthen the offence.
I think Calgary should spend any available money on a defenceman to replace Leopold. I think 4 guys to target are Danny Markov, Ruslan Salei, Nolan Baumgartner and Daniel Tjarnqvist.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Body Checker

Tanguay was interviewed and is very excited to come to Calgary. Is looking forward to playing with Iginla and he thinks the Flames are a top Cup contender.

Looks like we picked up a happy camper which is reassuring after seeing what Edmonton fans are going through.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 08:46 PM
Phaneuf_for_calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone
It will hurt playing against Leopold on the Avs, but sometimes you get offered a player too good to pass up. We gave up a very underrated defenseman for a very solid (top 20) forward. This will work out brilliantly for our team, now we just need to strengthen our 4th line and get a good backup.

your right we do need a good back up but in 1-2 years calgary will have one in l. Irving

Phaneuf_for_calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 11:22 AM
NeonDion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
I'd much rather have Lombardi in the top six personally, he is much less of a liability than Lundmark IMO, hence why Lombardi was fourth among Flames forwards in icetime in the POs and Lundmark got scratched three games, Sutter is not an idiot, and I don't think Lundmark has more offensive skill than him, Lombo can score 20 goals next year, it isn't completely unrealistic, he has scored 16, he just had a horrible year, but was turning it around by the end. I think Lombardi can really step up next year if given the chance.
You forget that Lombo's goals were before he got Hatchered.
I think Lombo's never looked the same since that hit. He seems to lack confidence with the puck and I see his development taking longer. He reminds me a bit of Connoly now. He's small, skilled, but injury prone and easy to knock off the puck. Frankly I don't have the patience to wait another 3 years (It took Connoly 5 seasons to put it all together) to see if Lombo can reach his potential.

IMHO Lundmark has more upside and less issues than Lombo. Add to that the fact that him and Kobasew seemed to have better chemistry. This makes me think that Lundmark will be playing on the second line.

NeonDion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:53 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonDion
You forget that Lombo's goals were before he got Hatchered.
I think Lombo's never looked the same since that hit. He seems to lack confidence with the puck and I see his development taking longer. He reminds me a bit of Connoly now. He's small, skilled, but injury prone and easy to knock off the puck. Frankly I don't have the patience to wait another 3 years (It took Connoly 5 seasons to put it all together) to see if Lombo can reach his potential.

IMHO Lundmark has more upside and less issues than Lombo. Add to that the fact that him and Kobasew seemed to have better chemistry. This makes me think that Lundmark will be playing on the second line.
I didn't forget Lombo's goals were before he got hatchered, despite that though, he was still a guy that Sutter went to consistently in the POs, Lundmark has more upside I agree (though I doubt how much more), but hardly does he have less issues, Lombo is a considerably better two way player than Lundmark right now, if Jamie can pick up his defensive game, I could definetaly see him having the ability to step onto the second/first line, and he will likely play there at times.

Also, despite having a down year in goals, Lombardi almost equalled his point production from his rookie year despite missing 20+ games. As well, I didn't see Lundmark as having chemistry with Kobasew he played his best with Amonte (and Lombo on the left side, ironically).

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Mizral

The Flames really need one more top 6 centreman, more than anything right now.

Arnott would be great, but how about Alyn McCauley? Put McCauley on the second line, and rely on a great Two-way centre core. McCauley could probobly be signed for about $3 million. Think Sutter might do it?

Mizral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 09:06 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
The Flames really need one more top 6 centreman, more than anything right now.

Arnott would be great, but how about Alyn McCauley? Put McCauley on the second line, and rely on a great Two-way centre core. McCauley could probobly be signed for about $3 million. Think Sutter might do it?
My guess is if the Flames should address the center ice problem by adding from outside, that is precisely the way they would do it. A center from a team with a lot of center ice depth, using high potential centers in a defensive role. There are a few gems out there. Now it is Sutters job to find them.

Old
07-01-2006, 11:00 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quick question.

Has Leopold ever played on the right side? Brisebois is our only right handed defenseman now that Blake is gone, and I'm not comfortable with Brizzy getting top pairing minutes.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2006, 10:47 AM
abracanada

To the best of my recollection, he has spent some time on both sides, but Sutter does tend to keep his defensive pairings together even though he juggles lines.