HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coburn's Stats

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 08:09 AM
Bignasti

vCash: 500
Coburn's Stats

11 points in 13 games but a team worst -5

my impression of him is that he's not a bonafide pp quaterback but more of an allround d-man a la Eric Brewer -that what others have heard?

on a seperate note -wouldn't it be great to get someone who could step in and help out our dismal pp right now for Comrie (perhaps Tomas Kaberle?)

I might make that move straight up

Old
11-07-2003, 08:11 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Waddel essentially said Cobourn's not going anywhere for anyone, so you can take Atlanta off the list, as there is nothing else on that team worth taking (that the Thrashers would give up).

Old
11-07-2003, 08:32 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I'd be happy if instead of Coburn we could get Nikulin and Safronov. Nikulin would be able to match up with Semenov like a gem - they'd be two absolutely massive bodies back there. Also, it'd be good to get Semi a fellow Russian in the organization - as he is the only notable one after Mikhnov.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:04 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Waddel essentially said Cobourn's not going anywhere for anyone, so you can take Atlanta off the list, as there is nothing else on that team worth taking (that the Thrashers would give up).
I don't know the exact quote from Waddell on that, but things can change in a hurry, if Waddell feels the pressure to get Comrie enough or if the Oilers sweeten the pot a little, or...?? "Never say never", and Coburn's not in the same category of real untouchables like Kovalchuk.

I'm not saying it's a go or anything, just that I wouldn't write Atlanta off just yet because Waddell says Coburn's not going anywhere. GMs can use the media in negotiations very well sometimes...!

Bart

Old
11-07-2003, 09:34 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
....and Coburn's not in the same category of real untouchables like Kovalchuk.

GMs can use the media in negotiations very well sometimes...!
In this case, I don't believe he said this as a bargaining ploy. Coburn really is untouchable. I don't know why this board is so hung up on this player and deal. It looks to me like the EDM side is a lot more interested than the ATL side.

As far as settling for Nikulin and Safronov goes, I'm sure you could get them for a lot less than Comrie. A LOT less. Safronov is getting worse, not better. Nikulin may never make it over.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:51 AM
oildrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyG
In this case, I don't believe he said this as a bargaining ploy. Coburn really is untouchable. I don't know why this board is so hung up on this player and deal. It looks to me like the EDM side is a lot more interested than the ATL side.

As far as settling for Nikulin and Safronov goes, I'm sure you could get them for a lot less than Comrie. A LOT less. Safronov is getting worse, not better. Nikulin may never make it over.
Don't be so sure that Cobrun is "untouchable." One of the sports guy that works for the Oilers radio station said that he expects a deal to be done soon with the Trashers and Oilers, and Coburn is likely involved. I guess we'll have to stay tuned to see what happens here.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:53 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
The good thing for Edmonton is that it sounds like there's a lot of interest. If Atlanta doesn't want him, there's always the Rangers, LA, Anaheim, Philadelphia, San Jose, and whoever else has asked about him. Lowe has lots of options, and I really wouldn't be too surprised if he's getting some decent offers now.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:53 AM
barto

Quote:

Personally, it's really only because of the 'smoke' involved...reports of Prendergast being at a game that Coburn's playing in, and Lowe & Waddell chatting at a recent game as well... And the media reports on Lowe's interest in Coburn and speculates on a deal...as do we!

Thanks for the quick update on Nikulin/Safronov - chances are that Lowe isn't too interested in guys like that as main cogs of a Comrie trade, whereas Coburn has a much higher profile that would placate many Oilers fans if we have to see Comrie go somewhere else.

And you're right, there very well could be a lot more Oilers fans interested in a Coburn deal than Thrashers fans, but that still doesn't mean a deal won't happen. Waddell will do what he thinks is best for his team, and it might eventually include trading Coburn.

Look at Torres, for instance...the Islanders didn't want to trade him, but finally decided that getting Niinimaa was worth giving up Torres for. It happens from time to time, so I'm just saying it's *possible* in this case. More so than the Thrashers trading a stud like Kovalchuk, wouldn't you agree?

Bart

Old
11-07-2003, 10:00 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Personally, it's really only because of the 'smoke' involved...reports of Prendergast being at a game that Coburn's playing in, and Lowe & Waddell chatting at a recent game as well... And the media reports on Lowe's interest in Coburn and speculates on a deal...as do we!
I agree that people are seeing fire where there's just smoke. I see evidence of a lot of interest on the EDM side, and simply a willingness to talk on the ATL side. It takes two to tango, and so far I only see one guy on the dance floor.

Quote:
Waddell will do what he thinks is best for his team, and it might eventually include trading Coburn.
Don is very patient. Incredibly patient in fact. He never panics. The team needs some relatively short-term help up front until Savard and Heatley come back. Because of this, I think you might see ATL trade for an UFA, someone like Perreault. Someone like Oates might be good too, but he might be holding out for a true contender.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:12 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
I agree that people are seeing fire where there's just smoke. I see evidence of a lot of interest on the EDM side, and not simply a willingness to talk on the ATL side. It takes two to tango, and so far I only see one guy on the dance floor.

Don is very patient. Incredibly patient in fact. He never panics. The team needs some relatively short-term help up front until Savard and Heatley come back. Because of this, I think you might see ATL trade for an UFA, someone like Perreault. Someone like Oates might be good too, but he might be holding out for a true contender.
Well when the GM's for our respective clubs spent most of the Buff-Atl game talking to each other, and the Oilers director of player personel went specifically to watch Cobourn play, there may be a little more fire than you want to admit.

Also, Waddell has had the option of being patient before because the team wasn't very good... but now, they had a great start, and have a good chance of generating interest, but are missing 2 important guys... Waddell may not quite be as patient as to be able to wait for Savard and Heatley... plus I don't know why Montreal would just hand over one of their top players... especially to a conference rival.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
..plus I don't know why Montreal would just hand over one of their top players... especially to a conference rival.
No one said they would hand him over, a fair deal would have to be struck.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:25 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
No one said they would hand him over, a fair deal would have to be struck.
Perrault has more value to the habs right now than the habs could get from another team for him. Unless you would rather over-pay for a temporary solution, which I doubt, the Thrashers options are limited.

Everyone knows what they have, and what they need... the Thrashers aren't in the best position right now, despite thier good start.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:38 AM
Lowetide

Quote:
Don is very patient. Incredibly patient in fact.
Agreed. He seems to be pretty good at paying less than full value. As for trading Coburn, that's a loser's play. He can look at expansion templates like the NYI as the ideal, and they didn't trade a first rounder until they sent Billy Harris to LA for Goring (which I think was 1979-80).

I still think there's a deal involving Stefan + picks/lesser prospects, but it's also probably fair to say that another GM will panic long before Waddell does.

Old
11-07-2003, 11:34 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
Agreed. He seems to be pretty good at paying less than full value. As for trading Coburn, that's a loser's play. He can look at expansion templates like the NYI as the ideal, and they didn't trade a first rounder until they sent Billy Harris to LA for Goring (which I think was 1979-80).

I still think there's a deal involving Stefan + picks/lesser prospects, but it's also probably fair to say that another GM will panic long before Waddell does.
Stefan and Atlanta's first next year (or Coburn) for Comrie and a guy like Chimera is the deal we want. We have two holes that a Comrie trade can fill - center and a young dman. Whether we get the young dman through next years draft or it's Coburn - makes no differnce to me. We also need to clear out some room on LW - and I think we have a pretty good idea of Chimera's upside. So I would deal him way before Rita.

Closed Thread