HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds pick Geoffrion...also Niko Snellman, Mark Dekanich, Ryan Flynn,& Viktor Sjodin

Old
06-25-2006, 06:50 PM
C-J Carlson

vCash: 500
It's all in the bloodlines, boys and girls. Howie Morenz - Hall of Famer. Bernie "Boom-Boom" Geoffrion - Hall of Famer. Danny Geoffrion - 1st round bust. (Bloodline talent skips a generation now and then.) Blake Geoffrion - potential Hall of Famer? Let's be positive here!

Anyhoo...

C-J Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 07:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

While I wasn't crazy about the Geoffrion pick, I do love getting Ryan Flynn(who plays a nice brusing power game) in the sixth, and the more I read about Dekanich the more I like him. Snellman and Sjodin sound like Nieminen-esque players, which I like.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 08:26 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I think we are crazy if we think this pick was for publicity. I think it didn't hurt, but what about Poile makes us think that he would pick a guy based on location? This isn't Mike Milburry are some flashy move by Dean Lombardi, this is David Poile. This guy is as dry as a cracker and displays the enthusiam of a tree sloth.

It's David freaking' Poile people! In fact, I just showed more spunk in the last sentence than I've ever seen from Poile. So what makes us think this cold, calculated guy would make a decision such as this based on location? A rather irrational move, wouldn't you say?

There's only one person in this organization that would make a move like this, and that's Leipold. And he's NEVER been one to meddle in Poile's affairs. Geoffrion's location might have been a tie-breaker amongst multiple players, but there's nothing about Poile to make us think he'd risk a second round pick on a guy that should have gone in the 3rd/4th.

He knows how valuable these picks are. Hell, you could build a pretty solid squad of Predators drafted past the first round. Poile would not waste a pick. It just doesn't make sense.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 08:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

if it generates hype in a city that is lukewarm at best toward the team...you bet he would. it's not to say, "geoffrion stinks, but he's from brentwood," but if you think the marketing wet-dream didn't cross his mind...i have to disagree pretty strongly.

Old
06-25-2006, 08:39 PM
Biggun35
Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
if it generates hype in a city that is lukewarm at best toward the team...you bet he would. it's not to say, "geoffrion stinks, but he's from brentwood," but if you think the marketing wet-dream didn't cross his mind...i have to disagree pretty strongly.
Why do you think it is a waste of a pick, as you said in your first post?

Biggun35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 08:47 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggun35
Why do you think it is a waste of a pick, as you said in your first post?

I've softened a bit on that stance. I still don't think it's a GREAT pick, but I guess it will do. I haven't had a lot of firsthand experience with him since about early 2000, but in keeping up with him\the rest of the USNTDP, I've been a little underwhelmed. I just worry that we've used a second round pick to draft Vernon Fiddler, and there were a few guys I liked a little more available.

Old
06-25-2006, 08:50 PM
ladypredator

Blske Geoffrion is a fourth generation NHLer. To me, that's the more interesting factor rather than where he grew up. We all think of Ryan Suter as having hockey in the blood - with Geoffrion multiply that. If we're going to take a chance on potential - and all draft picks are a chance - I think Geoffrion's a pretty good bet.

He's already got the signs of a solid power forward and he's reputed to be good at face-offs. I'd say he's well worth a second round pick.

ladypredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 08:56 PM
muddycreek*

If he can play center,OK. Otherwise. BFD!

muddycreek* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 12:49 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Down here in Miami, the draft coverage is less than stellar. But I love the pick of Geoffrion. When it comes to picks such as this, there were probably a handful of players that Poile liked. And with little seperation between the group, he made the smart choice and selected Geoffrion. He needs to work on his speed, but he's got a really strong wrister, a nose for the net, and a lot of strength. He's a good playmaker. If he can improve his footspeed, his work ethic and drive should put him in a good position within the Predators franchise. A faster Geoffrion is exactly what we are looking for in a center.
And he'll play in a more defensive orientated system under Eaves at UW - and more than likely be required to develope that nose.

Last edited by AdmiralPred: 06-26-2006 at 12:59 PM.
AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 05:20 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Poile is saying on the Radio that Geoffrion was drafted to be a center.

06-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
For anyone that can watch the College Sports Television channel (CSTV) they are showing the 2006 ECAC Semifinal matchup between Colgate and Cornell. Predators draft pick Mark Dekanich is in net for the Red Raiders, should be a good opportunity to watch him if you haven't seen him before. This airing is on from 8:30 to 11:00 PM CST tonight and is also being replayed again Thursday morning from 8:30 to 11:00 AM CST.

FYI, CSTV is channel 152 on the Dish Network.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 08:44 AM
hipcheck85
Where is Triggrman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake
For anyone that can watch the College Sports Television channel (CSTV) they are showing the 2006 ECAC Semifinal matchup between Colgate and Cornell. Predators draft pick Mark Dekanich is in net for the Red Raiders, should be a good opportunity to watch him if you haven't seen him before. This airing is on from 8:30 to 11:00 PM CST tonight and is also being replayed again Thursday morning from 8:30 to 11:00 AM CST.

FYI, CSTV is channel 152 on the Dish Network.

Thanks for the heads up on that slake...I just called and had my kids tivo it!!!!

hipcheck85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcheck85
Thanks for the heads up on that slake...I just called and had my kids tivo it!!!!
No problem, glad to be of service.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote