Notices

What does CAL need for the cup at 2007?

Old
06-25-2006, 03:39 AM
Shack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Shack
What does CAL need for the cup at 2007?

Like asked at topic. I see that flames have solid goaltending, but what about their D?

What about scoring, we all know Flames have the players for that, but last season was a little failure at the scoring section. (2.63) at the regular season ranked them #27 and (2.29) at the playoffs ranked #14.

How do you guys see this situation, is there something what flames should definetly change to be the cup winners at 2007. Is A. Tanguay the right guy for this scoring problem?

I'm asking this coz' I ain't able to follow flames from close range so I really don't have the right touch for the situation at the moment.

Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 03:56 AM
Lanny'sDaMan

We need Alex Tanguay.

Wait..

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 04:21 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
I am very excited for next year, and think we are very close.....All we need is a depth Dman and a healthy year from our key players

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Java

1 speedy LW to challenge Nystrom for the last forward spot.
1 speedy D to challenge Little Regehr/Marchment/Giordano for the last d spot
1 experienced G to challenge Krahn for the backup role.

Another skilled, fast forward like Donovan but with a little more consitency would be nice also.

Java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:43 PM
CANUCKS
Go ME!

goaltendin

CANUCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 06:26 PM
Resolute

To finally be the healthier team in a playoff series would help a lot.

Learning to be the favorite rather than the underdog is the biggest need at this point, I would think. As big of a crapshoot as the playoffs are, when you are up 3-2 on a team like Anaheim, you have to put the series away. It is a mental transition the Flames need to make going into 06-07.

Resolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 06:26 PM
kruezer

Well, first off they need to sign Lombardi (900k?) and Tanguay (Maybe 3 years 13.5 mill? He might take more). Then, I would not pick up Simon's option. Then they need to sign the Taratukhin, Trubachev and Ramholt, which I now believe will happen (well, maybe not Trubachev, but the other 2 for sure). That leaves them with 12 forwards that played at the NHL level last year, so that leaves 2 spots open for the young guys to compete to make the team, I think its time to let a couple of the young guys in. Then I would find a defenseman to fit into the 6/7th spot to help bring along Regehr, Giordano and Ramholt, Hulse or Marchment may not be bad in that spot at 450k, but there are lots of options I'm sure, but someone cheap and defensively sound would be great. Then (assuming Keetley returns to the 'dub) they need to sign Jamie McLennan to a two way deal and have him and Krahn fight it out for the back up position.

That leaves Calgary with a solid team for about 41 million, which means that if the center position doesn't work out and they need to pick up a top flight guy (and of course some depth) at the deadline they will have plenty of cash to do so. Then just hope for the team to step up in the playoffs.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Body Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Well, first off they need to sign Lombardi (900k?) and Tanguay (Maybe 3 years 13.5 mill? He might take more). Then, I would not pick up Simon's option. Then they need to sign the Taratukhin, Trubachev and Ramholt, which I now believe will happen (well, maybe not Trubachev, but the other 2 for sure). That leaves them with 12 forwards that played at the NHL level last year, so that leaves 2 spots open for the young guys to compete to make the team, I think its time to let a couple of the young guys in. Then I would find a defenseman to fit into the 6/7th spot to help bring along Regehr, Giordano and Ramholt, Hulse or Marchment may not be bad in that spot at 450k, but there are lots of options I'm sure, but someone cheap and defensively sound would be great. Then (assuming Keetley returns to the 'dub) they need to sign Jamie McLennan to a two way deal and have him and Krahn fight it out for the back up position.

That leaves Calgary with a solid team for about 41 million, which means that if the center position doesn't work out and they need to pick up a top flight guy (and of course some depth) at the deadline they will have plenty of cash to do so. Then just hope for the team to step up in the playoffs.

All good points. Let Nystrom, Moss, Germyn, Maki, Prust and Taratukhin battle for the two reserve spots. I thought Germyn in the one game I saw him in could be a Ronald Petrovivky type player.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 07:24 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker
All good points. Let Nystrom, Moss, Germyn, Maki, Prust and Taratukhin battle for the two reserve spots. I thought Germyn in the one game I saw him in could be a Ronald Petrovivky type player.
I think that would be best, I guess I wouldn't be ridiculously upset if they did sign one cheap vet (as long as they don't pick up Simon's option) and just took one young guy, but I think taking two would be reasonable after looking at the amount of young guys brought in on the top teams last year.

Old
06-25-2006, 08:06 PM
Flames 1st pick

They need to sign a veteran dman...nothing fancy but a 5th-6th dman is a must.

It has been proven in the past Flames dmen get injured often...they normally go through 8-10 during the year.

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 08:48 PM
abracanada

This all sounds crazy but Roger Millions figures they aren't done yet.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/roger...done_shopping/

If he is right, Darryl is really going for it NOW.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 08:56 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Flames Fan
They need to sign a veteran dman...nothing fancy but a 5th-6th dman is a must.

It has been proven in the past Flames dmen get injured often...they normally go through 8-10 during the year.
Definetaly, a guy with a lot of playoff experience would be wonderful, a guy like Glen Wesley was for Carolina this year.

As for what Millions figures, I really am not in favour of going crazy and loading up too much, first of all, they don't have the cash to do all he is saying IMO, and I am personally not so sure that the cap is going to stay at 44 mill next year, I don't think it will go up and I wouldn't be shocked if it came down, I wouldn't get too close to it. I can understand the idea of a center, but picking up a UFA defenseman for 2.5 million+ is entirely unnecessary.

Old
06-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Miko

I agree we will need a 5-6 kind of depth defenseman ,if the Omaha kids can't cut it .Give Giordano/Regehr 2.0 a chance to see if they are ready. Interesting that Mckee's name comes up in Roger's article.Mckee would be a solid addition to the D-corps,but i imagine he'll be well sought after this summer. Other Defenseman that would be great to see in Flames threads would be D.Markov, Corey Sarich and Willie Mitchell.

Maybe Prust or Nystrom can crack the line up. Prust would be our pest energy **** disturber. Hopefully Taratukhin and Ramholt are here soon .

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:15 PM
abracanada

Never underestimate the value of overkill. LOL I thought they were getting carried away in Carolina when they pursued Weight when they already had Staal, Brindamour and Stillman. Shows what I know.

I believe Sutter is the type to not only nail it, but to continue on beating it to absolute and complete death with that hammer. That may very well be what it takes these days.

Old
06-25-2006, 10:59 PM
ah123

The Flames need to

* add a little bit more skill
* keep up the work ethic
* have Lady Luck on their side (little bounces really add up in the playoffs)

ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 11:28 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
Never underestimate the value of overkill. LOL I thought they were getting carried away in Carolina when they pursued Weight when they already had Staal, Brindamour and Stillman. Shows what I know.

I believe Sutter is the type to not only nail it, but to continue on beating it to absolute and complete death with that hammer. That may very well be what it takes these days.
Very true, I would just prefer he overkills the offensive situation rather than the defense right now, but thats just me.

What about Calgary finally signing Frogren? He might make a decent 6/7 kinda guy for a year or two, and hey, maybe they can find out if he can be more than that, or let him go back to Europe if he isn't good at all.

Old
06-26-2006, 12:07 AM
abracanada

I don't know much about Frogren's game, but it looks like he has toughened up his game recently if the stats are any indication.

I agree the greatest need is for help on the offense. Man Connolly would have been a nice addition for center ice.

There isn't necessarily a need for a McKee type. Sutter is famous for getting the most out of some marginal defenders like he did the year of the Cup run. Could he do it all year though? I also still recall the upheaval caused last year when Hamrlik went down. And the injury to Phaneuf, probably killed the effectiveness of the power play during the playoffs. That was a big minus and was quite instrumental in our early departure IMHO. A defence at least as deep as the one we had last year would help, and even deeper would be nice.

Old
06-26-2006, 01:31 AM
ComixZone

Ladislav Nagy. He's an RFA with Phoenix. The Yotes are looking to revamp their team from the sounds of things, and Doan is a much better base for a franchise than Nagy - so Nagy would be moved before Doan would be. Then if you take a look at Nagy's past, back playing for the Mooseheads, who did he play with? One Alex Tanguay - perhaps Sutter continues to re-unite players and brings in Nagy? To make a roster spot for him, simply don't exercise the option on Simon. This lineup would scare anyone:

Tanguay - Lombardi - Iginla
Huselius - Langkow - Kobasew
Nagy - Lundmark - Russian prospect?
Nilson - Yelle - McCarty

Regehr - Regehr
Warrener - Ference
Phaneuf - Hamrlik

Kiprusoff
Krahn

To actually get Nagy I'd say something along the lines of

1st Rounder in '07 and Tony Amonte? Just a random thought that I just slapped together...

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 04:03 AM
Shack

Send a message via MSN to Shack
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool
Ladislav Nagy.

Tanguay - Lombardi - Iginla
Huselius - Langkow - Kobasew
Nagy - Lundmark - Russian prospect?
Nilson - Yelle - McCarty

Regehr - Regehr
Warrener - Ference
Phaneuf - Hamrlik

Kiprusoff
Krahn
Nagy sounds interesting, he has some nice stats from the last 3 years. Altought he has had two halfseasons coz' of injuries, is he healty now?

06' GP 51 G 15 A 14 = 56pts
04' GP 55 G 24 A 28 = 52pts
03' GP 80 G 22 A 35 = 57pts

Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 07:37 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack
Nagy sounds interesting, he has some nice stats from the last 3 years. Altought he has had two halfseasons coz' of injuries, is he healty now?

06' GP 51 G 15 A 14 = 56pts
04' GP 55 G 24 A 28 = 52pts
03' GP 80 G 22 A 35 = 57pts
With Nagy's injury problems Sutter won't touch him.

Ideally we could use a top 6 center better than Lombardi. I'm a little tenative of moving Simon, he's a solid physical presence and a great fighter. If we could replace him with Niklas Hagman or Geoff Sanderson then I'd have no problem moving him.

Edit

Considering the price Sutter was willing to pay for a backup in 05 Hedburg might be the best goaltender we could afford. I doubt the Stars would let him go easily though.

Last edited by ArizonaGreenTea: 06-26-2006 at 07:50 PM.
ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:38 PM
HuskyFlames

Nagy is worth a good amount. Teh guy is very skilled and geared for the new NHL.

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 09:53 PM
da_pope*

You guys think Lombo is ready to be pushed into the first line with Iggy and Tangs?
I dunno... I think we should go for a decent center in the FA. I don't want to give up anymore pieces and I'm pretty sure we can afford a 2-3 mill guy.

da_pope* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Body Checker

Sebastian Caron was bought out by the Pens. He would be a cheap guy to bring in to compete with Krahn for the backup position. He has some talent, getting away from the Pens awful defense would help him alot.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 11:12 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Nagy is worth a good amount. Teh guy is very skilled and geared for the new NHL.
Him and Langkow played very well together, although I dont think he is leaving Phoenix.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 12:15 AM
PapaBear*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool

To actually get Nagy I'd say something along the lines of

1st Rounder in '07 and Tony Amonte? Just a random thought that I just slapped together...

PapaBear* is offline   Reply With Quote