Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What does CAL need for the cup at 2007?

Old
06-27-2006, 02:14 AM
OMA

vCash: 500
Obviously one more forward that can put the puck in the net would be ideal, but i don't forsee that happening. I think Tanguay was Sutter's big move in that regard (and a good one at that).

I think the majority of our transactions will be in the form of depth (specifically on the backend). I'd be shocked to see Sutter do something significant now.

I think a lot of the right pieces are in place for this team to be successful. Like I said, Ideally one more solid 3rd pair d-man and another 15-20 goal guy would be nice; but I don't see that happening.

I forsee the following:

Tanguay - Lombardi/Lundmark - Iginla
Huselius - Langkow - Kobasew
Amonte - Lombardi/Lundmark - Nilson
Nystrom - Yelle - McCarty

Phaneuf - Regehr
Hamrlik - Warrener
Ference - UFA D-man/Regehr 2.0

Kipper
Krahn or a UFA

OMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 10:09 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Then, I would not pick up Simon's option.
If the option is at a reasonable price, why not? Simon obviously likes playing for Sutter, is popular with his teammates, has plenty of experience and knowledge to share with the younger players and brings more to the table than just dropping his gloves. Having played this past season, he could certainly be expected to report to camp in better shape.

Quote:
Then they need to sign the Taratukhin, Trubachev and Ramholt, which I now believe will happen (well, maybe not Trubachev, but the other 2 for sure). That leaves them with 12 forwards that played at the NHL level last year, so that leaves 2 spots open for the young guys to compete to make the team, I think its time to let a couple of the young guys in.
Isn't Ramholt already signed?

Quote:
Then I would find a defenseman to fit into the 6/7th spot to help bring along Regehr, Giordano and Ramholt, Hulse or Marchment may not be bad in that spot at 450k, but there are lots of options I'm sure, but someone cheap and defensively sound would be great.
As you said at the end, there are lots of other options. To get a depth d-man, it might be just as prudent to wait until the end of the musical chairs ritual to get one at a bargain basement price. Of Ri. Regehr, Giordano, Ramholt, Hulse and Marchment, do any of them inspire enough confidence? Ramholt could use a year of seasoning in the AHL. Hulse is dispensable. Marchment is aging and coming off a very significant injury. Something about Giordano just reminds me of Darrell Scoville.

Quote:
Then (assuming Keetley returns to the 'dub) they need to sign Jamie McLennan to a two way deal and have him and Krahn fight it out for the back up position.
Again, probably better options will be available than McLennan. Bringing back ex-Flames has been a mixed bag (Weimer, Hulse, McAmmond). Granted, all were different sets of circumstances, but there's something to be said for allowing another skater or goalie to gain a fresh start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada
This all sounds crazy but Roger Millions figures they aren't done yet.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/roger...done_shopping/

If he is right, Darryl is really going for it NOW.
It might be just pure speculation on RM's part, but here's an interesting thought:

Quote:
....maybe Rhett Warrener's old buddy Jay McKee out of Buffalo.
The blueline is solified with Phaneuf, Hamrlik, Regehr and Warrener, but there's a drop-off from the void left by Leopold's departure to Ferrence and the #7 guys. Signing McKee would send a big message to the rest of the league. McKee was a BIG part of the Sabres success, and he'd played some of his best hockey alongside Warrener in the past. He also knows what it takes to dig in deep during the playoffs.

Last edited by Badger Bob: 06-27-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

For the Flames to win the cup they need to make the playoffs with a healthy lineup and have some luck. That's always what it takes.

MrMastodonFarm* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 05:04 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
If the option is at a reasonable price, why not? Simon obviously likes playing for Sutter, is popular with his teammates, has plenty of experience and knowledge to share with the younger players and brings more to the table than just dropping his gloves. Having played this past season, he could certainly be expected to report to camp in better shape..
I am not sure exactly what the option is, but if its the same as the 1.216 million he made last year, I wouldn't pay that personally, I do think it would be nice to have Simon around for 800k or so, especially with his role now definetaly relegated to a 4th line position, and maybe into the PB with Nystrom, Moss and Prust all pushing for his role, the reason I would not keep him really would just be to inject a little more youthful enthusiasm into the lineup, since that seems to have been something that worked out well for many of the teams that did well this past year.

Quote:
Isn't Ramholt already signed?
It looks like it, everything should be confirmed after July 1st on the European signings.

Quote:
As you said at the end, there are lots of other options. To get a depth d-man, it might be just as prudent to wait until the end of the musical chairs ritual to get one at a bargain basement price. Of Ri. Regehr, Giordano, Ramholt, Hulse and Marchment, do any of them inspire enough confidence? Ramholt could use a year of seasoning in the AHL. Hulse is dispensable. Marchment is aging and coming off a very significant injury. Something about Giordano just reminds me of Darrell Scoville.
I definetaly agree with this, there will be solid 6/7 guys left later in free agency, I would only want one of Regehr, Giordano and Ramholt on the team personally, leave the other 2 in the minors.

Quote:
Again, probably better options will be available than McLennan. Bringing back ex-Flames has been a mixed bag (Weimer, Hulse, McAmmond). Granted, all were different sets of circumstances, but there's something to be said for allowing another skater or goalie to gain a fresh start.
Yeah, it wouldn't necessarily have to be McLennan, I just have a soft spot for the guy, I just would prefer if they brought in a guy who they could get on two way deal so they could send him down if (when, hopefully) Krahn wins the backup job.

kruezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 05:23 PM
Phaneuf_for_calder

What else besides Tanguay do we need to win the cup?

I've been looking at calgary's line up and it looks pretty solid. But what else do the flames need to go over the top and win the stanley cup

Phaneuf_for_calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Well, we need a power center and a decent backup to Kipper. Thats about all I think we need.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 07:35 PM
kruezer

Merged.

Check out the other threads before posting new topics.

Old
06-27-2006, 07:37 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Yeah, it wouldn't necessarily have to be McLennan, I just have a soft spot for the guy, I just would prefer if they brought in a guy who they could get on two way deal so they could send him down if (when, hopefully) Krahn wins the backup job.
With Roger Millions' "noodles in the soup" comment at CP it's a safe bet to say McClennan is going to be our backup in 06/07.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 09:42 PM
Shamrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool
Ladislav Nagy. He's an RFA with Phoenix. The Yotes are looking to revamp their team from the sounds of things, and Doan is a much better base for a franchise than Nagy - so Nagy would be moved before Doan would be. Then if you take a look at Nagy's past, back playing for the Mooseheads, who did he play with? One Alex Tanguay - perhaps Sutter continues to re-unite players and brings in Nagy? To make a roster spot for him, simply don't exercise the option on Simon. This lineup would scare anyone:

Tanguay - Lombardi - Iginla
Nagy - Lundmark - Russian prospect?
Nilson - Yelle - McCarty

Regehr - Regehr
Warrener - Ference
Phaneuf - Hamrlik

Kiprusoff
Krahn

To actually get Nagy I'd say something along the lines of

1st Rounder in '07 and Tony Amonte? Just a random thought that I just slapped together...

Where does that leave Donovan?

Shamrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 12:13 AM
CalgaryFan1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrocks
Where does that leave Donovan?
Donovan is an UFA who most people think isn't going to be re-signed. There is simply no room for him.

CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 12:19 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988
Donovan is an UFA who most people think isn't going to be re-signed. There is simply no room for him.
From the way Sutter didn't mention him this offseason when singling out people who dropped off offensively, and just a general feeling, I really don't think he'll be back.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Donovan back in Pittsburgh actually.

Old
06-28-2006, 01:02 AM
abracanada

Sutter has a few ideas he is willing to share:

http://www.tsn.ca/audio_video/player...asp?reel=26456

Kiprusoff was definately overplayed. Sutter hints at it here. He did not have the edge he needed in the playoffs, that is for sure.

Last edited by abracanada: 06-28-2006 at 01:20 AM.
abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 01:04 AM
sandbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA
Obviously one more forward that can put the puck in the net would be ideal, but i don't forsee that happening. I think Tanguay was Sutter's big move in that regard (and a good one at that).

I think the majority of our transactions will be in the form of depth (specifically on the backend). I'd be shocked to see Sutter do something significant now.

I think a lot of the right pieces are in place for this team to be successful. Like I said, Ideally one more solid 3rd pair d-man and another 15-20 goal guy would be nice; but I don't see that happening.

I forsee the following:

Tanguay - Lombardi/Lundmark - Iginla
Amonte - Lombardi/Lundmark - Nilson
Nystrom - Yelle - McCarty

Phaneuf - Regehr
Hamrlik - Warrener
Ference - UFA D-man/Regehr 2.0

Kipper
Krahn or a UFA
Langkow not on the top line? are you crazy. THere is no way lombardi or lundmark center between igi and tanguay.

sandbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 01:38 AM
da_pope*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelleforpres
Langkow not on the top line? are you crazy. THere is no way lombardi or lundmark center between igi and tanguay.
Why would you break up Lang and Huse?

da_pope* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 02:46 AM
Miko

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelleforpres
I pretty much agree. I don't think Sutter annoitted the first line center duties to Lundmark/Lombardi. Its Langkows to lose i think.

Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:10 AM
Rayne*

A miracle.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
I am not sure exactly what the option is, but if its the same as the 1.216 million he made last year, I wouldn't pay that personally, I do think it would be nice to have Simon around for 800k or so, especially with his role now definetaly relegated to a 4th line position, and maybe into the PB with Nystrom, Moss and Prust all pushing for his role, the reason I would not keep him really would just be to inject a little more youthful enthusiasm into the lineup, since that seems to have been something that worked out well for many of the teams that did well this past year.
Possibly an agreement could be reached that the team doesn't pick up the option, but will re-sign Simon to a lesser dollar amount. That seems reasonable, and he and his agent would understand his role/overall value. Too large a segment of the fan base (at CP) designated him as one of the whipping boys, especially after they didn't have Weimer to blast anymore. Make no mistake, what Simon brings to the table in terms of toughness is important.

Pure skill does not assure championships, as evidenced by Colorado trying to load up with Selanne & Kariya. Look how that turned out. In fact, after the Avs first Cup in '96, other teams' players didn't find them to be as daunting without players like Mike Ricci and...Chris Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraLeone
With Roger Millions' "noodles in the soup" comment at CP it's a safe bet to say McClennan is going to be our backup in 06/07.
Hopefully, that was just a riddle. A poster over there pointed out that McLennan had all of two wins in the last season. The only things going for him, at this juncture, are that he's an all-around great guy and came from Alberta. Nothing is there to indicate that he'd be an improvement over Sauve or Boucher. Krahn certainly deserves the chance, but another year as a full-time #1 in Omaha would do him more good.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 09:18 AM
ArizonaGreenTea

Quote:
Nothing is there to indicate that he'd be an improvement over Sauve or Boucher. Krahn certainly deserves the chance, but another year as a full-time #1 in Omaha would do him more good.
Mclennan's career statistics are very underwhelming, and it is easy to forget about his first season as a Flame, in over 20 games he also just registered 2 wins. To be fair, many of Mclennan's games that year, must like last season, were already lost when he took over. Turek, on the other hand, was the whipping boy of the Flames fans despite ending the season with a respectable record (.500 under Sutter).

I agree there is little to suggest he's better than Boucher or Sauve, but he does respond better to criticism and input than either of those two did. It's a risk to take him as the backup, but if the reason he did well that year was the team's defensive style, Darryl Sutter and David Marcoux he will likely preform similarly for 15 - 20 games next season. If the reason was just luck, he'll be a pickup no better than our previous two backups, barring said luck.

I do remember saying I want a backup like him, but I'd rather have a backup similar to him in 03/04. Unfortunately there isn't much avaliable for what Sutter is willing to pay, Mclennan might be the best we can get for that price.

On one last note, his SA% in Florida (.906) was almost the exact same as that in Calgary(.910). He likely faced over 30 shots a game in Florida.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 09:32 AM
abracanada

Here is a list of availabled UFAs

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=2502306

Sutter mentioned a defenceman to compliment Regehr or Phaneuf. The following describes some of the options.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169890&hubname=nhl

Old
06-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Phaneuf_for_calder

Hey why not get Pavel Kubina, he's at least as good as leopold

Phaneuf_for_calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Body Checker

Kubina will likely get $4 million a season

We'll end up with someone like Danny Markov, Nolan Baumgartner, Ruslan Salei or Daniel Tjarnqvist. Any of these guys to be had for $1.5 to $2.5 mil.

I mentioned Sebastian Caron as a backup goalie signing. Or maybe Brent Johnson who played well for the Caps.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 01:58 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreVX
A miracle.
elaborate

looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 06:28 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Possibly an agreement could be reached that the team doesn't pick up the option, but will re-sign Simon to a lesser dollar amount. That seems reasonable, and he and his agent would understand his role/overall value. Too large a segment of the fan base (at CP) designated him as one of the whipping boys, especially after they didn't have Weimer to blast anymore. Make no mistake, what Simon brings to the table in terms of toughness is important.

Pure skill does not assure championships, as evidenced by Colorado trying to load up with Selanne & Kariya. Look how that turned out. In fact, after the Avs first Cup in '96, other teams' players didn't find them to be as daunting without players like Mike Ricci and...Chris Simon.

I would hardly want the Flames to give away all of their toughness, I just am not sure Simon is a good option at his current 1.216 million dollar salary, he would make sense at 800k or less, as you say, understanding his role, I think even if Calgary lost Simon though, they would still have an overall toughness that would be respectable enough, especially if Prust were to make the team, they would just lack the so called 'heavyweight' fighter, but I am not sure that player is necessary to have on a team anymore.

Old
06-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Body Checker

Quote:
I would hardly want the Flames to give away all of their toughness, I just am not sure Simon is a good option at his current 1.216 million dollar salary, he would make sense at 800k or less, as you say, understanding his role, I think even if Calgary lost Simon though, they would still have an overall toughness that would be respectable enough, especially if Prust were to make the team, they would just lack the so called 'heavyweight' fighter, but I am not sure that player is necessary to have on a team anymore.
Final Four's enforcers role:

Carolina - didn't have one

Edmonton - Laraque, played a physical role earlier in playoffs, non-factor in Cup final

Buffalo - Andrew Peters, BENCHED

Anaheim - Todd Fedoruk, small role, brought physical play, 4th line role only

with today's rules and post- Steve Moore, goon hockey and retribution is a thing of the past. If a player can fight he also has to have the skills to play 10 minutes a game at least. Speed is a big asset too which Simon doesn't have.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 09:56 AM
abracanada

Thinking back to the contribution Simon made in the Cup finals, I wouldn't be too anxious to give up on him. He didn't have the greatest year, granted, but then neither did a number of the Flames. If he has dedicated himself to stay in shape and is working in the off-season, (this is something the Flames should know about),his upside is as good or better than most of the rookies that would be brought in to replace him (Nystrom, Prust et al).

If he is just holidaying and taking time off, then I would be concerned about him.

The other factor, is that he should come fairly cheap. When players of the same mold like Laracque are becoming available, the price goes down. Incidentally, although Laracque would be a better fighter, I believe Simon is by far the better hockey player.

If he is in shape and working on his conditioning, I would resign him.