HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Place your bets: Where does Wiemer land?

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2003, 12:48 AM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

vCash: 500
Place your bets: Where does Wiemer land?

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/4088.htm

Jason Wiemer was called into Mike Milbury's office Friday, where the Islanders' GM told him he would be moved or waived, the Post has learned. The meeting is reminiscent of a similar summit early last season in which Claude Lapointe was told his days in blue and orange were also numbered before he was eventually traded at the deadline to Philadelphia.

Old
11-09-2003, 01:01 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I'd cough up a 3rd or 2nd tier prospect for Jason Wiemer, personally.

He's a solid punishing forward that is not a liability in either end. I don't understand why management wants to waive him, his $1 mill contract isn't that much.

Old
11-09-2003, 01:18 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
I'd cough up a 3rd or 2nd tier prospect for Jason Wiemer, personally.

He's a solid punishing forward that is not a liability in either end. I don't understand why management wants to waive him, his $1 mill contract isn't that much.
Actually 1.67 mil. The more interesting part is that it's only a 1 year deal. Furthermore, I was even more surprised with the fact that he's the Isles 4th highest paid player.

I wouldn't mind the Avs taking a chance on him. Considering who he's played with over the past two years, he could possibly be that forward that the Avs could use easily in a 2nd line role if injuries arise--or in a 3rd line role when the Avs ice a healthy top 6. His toughness and leadership qualities are also quite desirable. Coming from an opposite conference'd team, shouldn't be too hard for PL to inquire. Perhaps a 3rd or 4th rounder or so? Maybe a prospect like Viitanen. I think the Isles will take into account the fact that they gave up a young former top 10 pick in getting Wiemer.

If he's waived he'll be claimed quite easily and early by a younger team (SJ perhaps) that could use a jolt of intensity in their struggling lineup.

Old
11-09-2003, 01:43 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Actually 1.67 mil. The more interesting part is that it's only a 1 year deal. Furthermore, I was even more surprised with the fact that he's the Isles 4th highest paid player.

I wouldn't mind the Avs taking a chance on him. Considering who he's played with over the past two years, he could possibly be that forward that the Avs could use easily in a 2nd line role if injuries arise--or in a 3rd line role when the Avs ice a healthy top 6. His toughness and leadership qualities are also quite desirable. Coming from an opposite conference'd team, shouldn't be too hard for PL to inquire. Perhaps a 3rd or 4th rounder or so? Maybe a prospect like Viitanen. I think the Isles will take into account the fact that they gave up a young former top 10 pick in getting Wiemer.

If he's waived he'll be claimed quite easily and early by a younger team (SJ perhaps) that could use a jolt of intensity in their struggling lineup.
You basicly posted my exact thoughts only I was too darn lazy to look up his exact salary and get into further details.. :p

But yes, Wiemer will never pass through waivers untouched. I bet my left nuts on it the Isles could get something useful and worthy for him if they look long enough. I could see Wiemer heading to Detroit for a Boyd Deveraux or Mattiue Dandenault.. Isles need skill and offense, Wings need grit and intimidation.

Old
11-09-2003, 01:49 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
You basicly posted my exact thoughts only I was too darn lazy to look up his exact salary and get into further details.. :p

But yes, Wiemer will never pass through waivers untouched. I bet my left nuts on it the Isles could get something useful and worthy for him if they look long enough. I could see Wiemer heading to Detroit for a Boyd Deveraux or Mattiue Dandenault.. Isles need skill and offense, Wings need grit and intimidation.
Actually, his salary was right there in the middle of the article. :p

The Wings would be willling suitors, but I doubt the Isles would have any interest in Devereaux or Dandenault as neither would really spark their offense anymore than Wiemer.

By how the Isles look thusfar, they don't appear to be very needy. Maybe a slight upgrade on their third D pairing. *cough cough Skoula cough*. Perhaps an Isles fan can intervene and inform me in further detail.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:55 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:

He's not the nyi 4th highest player.Mistake by the writer.

Yashin-$8.5m
Peca-$4.2m
Hamrlik-$3.6m
Aucoin-$3.2m
Jonsson-$3m
Niinimma-$2.9m
Parrish-$2.3m

Old
11-09-2003, 04:06 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Actually, his salary was right there in the middle of the article. :p

The Wings would be willling suitors, but I doubt the Isles would have any interest in Devereaux or Dandenault as neither would really spark their offense anymore than Wiemer.

By how the Isles look thusfar, they don't appear to be very needy. Maybe a slight upgrade on their third D pairing. *cough cough Skoula cough*. Perhaps an Isles fan can intervene and inform me in further detail.

Isles have gotten unexpected production from their younger,cheaper kids Hunter+Bergenheim.Mapletoft looks ready to make the jump from the ahl to the nhl and Weinhandl's due back soon from his ahl rehab assignment.

I'd rather keep Weimer and risk demoting the soft Papineau.At some point you expect rookies to hit a wall and struggle.

Garroich(?) reported about a week ago the isles were talking to the Flames about Weimer when the Flames were shopping Guathier.Maybe Weimer's $1.6m salary put the Flames off.

If the nyi can't get a physical d-man for Weimer,maybe they take a decent pick and move on,freeing up some salary space.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:04 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
If I was Jim Rutherford, I'd give Milbury Jaroslav Svoboda & a late round pic for him.

If he's thinking about waiving him then he doesn't want much. Then again, we are talking about Mad "Hit 'Em With Their Own Shoe" Mike.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:33 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
If I was Jim Rutherford, I'd give Milbury Jaroslav Svoboda & a late round pic for him.

If he's thinking about waiving him then he doesn't want much. Then again, we are talking about Mad "Hit 'Em With Their Own Shoe" Mike.

and the isles who have a surplus of cheap,young forwards they're having trouble finding enough icetime for,want Svoboda because?????

Old
11-09-2003, 06:32 AM
Patty Roy

If i was Bob Gainey i would definitely have interest in this player. Weimer's always impressed me with his physical play and i think he would fit in nicely on a Habs 3rd line.

Old
11-09-2003, 06:48 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
and the isles who have a surplus of cheap,young forwards they're having trouble finding enough icetime for,want Svoboda because?????
At least they can send Svoboda to the minors. The Isles don't have that luxury with most of their young players. Damn, why didn't Mike negotiated more two-way contracts is beyond me. He had had the leverage.

Old
11-09-2003, 06:49 AM
Mike8

Would definitely be interested from a Montreal stand point.

If either Rivet or Quintal would be of interest to the Isles, I'd look to make a move around that centerpiece. Rivet's expensive but the Habs could eat the difference.

Why is Wiemer being shopped now though? I understand the kids have exceeded expectations, but has Wiemer not been a consistent physical force? Has he been a let down in any way?

I find it strange that Wiemer is supposedly being shopped for defensive depth when the Isles moved defensive depth (well, youth) for him.

Old
11-09-2003, 06:53 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Ottawa has been interested in Wiemer in the past (when with Florida), and Muckler is in a 'shakeup' kinda mood..

Old
11-09-2003, 07:40 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHurricane16
At least they can send Svoboda to the minors. The Isles don't have that luxury with most of their young players. Damn, why didn't Mike negotiated more two-way contracts is beyond me. He had had the leverage.

it's Asham,Hunter+Papineau who are out of options.Hunter's got 6 goals in his last 6 games and is playing with a physical game he hasn't previously shown and the front office likes Asham to much to risk him.

isles can pass Mapletoft and Weinhandl safely thru waivers without risking them.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:45 AM
PigPen

THe wings should pick up Wiemer for a 3rd or a 5th and Kopecky. They need that sort of player on their team. Good defensively, hits. Not a bad skater.

How is his penalty killing ability?

Old
11-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Would definitely be interested from a Montreal stand point.

If either Rivet or Quintal would be of interest to the Isles, I'd look to make a move around that centerpiece. Rivet's expensive but the Habs could eat the difference.
Rivet for Wiemer straight up works for me. Bona fide 3rd line center/winger.

Quote:
I find it strange that Wiemer is supposedly being shopped for defensive depth when the Isles moved defensive depth (well, youth) for him.
Meet Mike Milbury.

Old
11-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
I am all for the Wings to get Wiemer. He is a much needed type of player on this team. His physical play would really help us out.

Old
11-09-2003, 09:36 AM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Let's see

we dont want Wiemer at 1.6 millionm, but we want rivet at his bloated salary..get real please

Old
11-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
The Modfather

vCash: 50
I may get roasted for this by Canucks fans for overpaying or Isles fans for underpaying, but I'd offer up Artem Chubarov for Wiemer. Chubarov is younger and cheaper, while Wiemer would give our fourth line even more grit. A line of May-Wiemer-Ruutu would be a godsend for the Canucks, who could definitely use some help in the toughness category. And Chubarov has struggled a bit to get off the launch pad this season, but he can score(as he showed in the Phoenix game after being a healthy scratch the night before).

Can Wiemer fight and kill penalties?

~Canucklehead~

11-09-2003, 10:30 AM
Trottier
Very Random

I don't believe this rumor in a fishwrap, but if Weimer is waived, it's a pathetic statement about NYI's desire (or lack thereof) to win. Guy is not irreplacable, but he brings a lot of unnoticed (by those who only look at stats) skills to the ice and apparently lockeroom. Team starts out 7-4-2 and now management is nickle and diming?

Of all the offers in this thread, the only one that actually addresses a need of NYI (what a concept!) is Rivet for Weimer. Spare us your excess forwards; Isles don't need any.

Problem with a deal involving Rivet is that it really doesn't lessen payroll, which is #1 on Wang's agenda, if this is to be believed.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:34 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
I may get roasted for this by Canucks fans for overpaying or Isles fans for underpaying, but I'd offer up Artem Chubarov for Wiemer. Chubarov is younger and cheaper, while Wiemer would give our fourth line even more grit. A line of May-Wiemer-Ruutu would be a godsend for the Canucks, who could definitely use some help in the toughness category. And Chubarov has struggled a bit to get off the launch pad this season, but he can score(as he showed in the Phoenix game after being a healthy scratch the night before).

Can Wiemer fight and kill penalties?

~Canucklehead~
Alright maybe the isles get desperate to dump Weimer's salary,taking ANYTHING with a low salary just to get Weimer's salary off the budget.That's the only way I can see why the isles with several promising cheap,young forwards and not enough icetime for them all,would take Chubarov or Svoboda for Weimer.

and no Weimer's nothing to get excited about on the pk.

He does do a good job sticking up for his teammates,plays kind of chippy.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:39 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
I don't believe this rumor in a fishwrap, but if Weimer is waived, it's a pathetic statement about NYI's desire (or lack thereof) to win. Guy is not irreplacable, but he brings a lot of unnoticed (by those who only look at stats) skills to the ice and apparently lockeroom. Team starts out 7-4-2 and now management is nickle and diming?

agreed.

Trading Weimer to fill a team need is one thing.Dumping him for a spare part to be rid of his salary $1.6m salary sends an awful message.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:53 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12
we dont want Wiemer at 1.6 millionm, but we want rivet at his bloated salary..get real please
Before you take out the snotty little attitude, why don't you read what I wrote? I said Montreal would pay the difference (or more, if necessary). Montreal needs a player like Wiemer for its third line, but there's a logjam on right side D, making Rivet expendable (depending on how the team feels about Quintal long-term).

Old
11-09-2003, 11:18 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Before you take out the snotty little attitude, why don't you read what I wrote? I said Montreal would pay the difference (or more, if necessary). Montreal needs a player like Wiemer for its third line, but there's a logjam on right side D, making Rivet expendable (depending on how the team feels about Quintal long-term).

31 yr old Rivet would be a short term addition.He's got to be close to becoming a ufa.

cbssportsline.com rumor mill had a rumor on 11/04/03,that the isles had taked to the Flames about both 26 yr old Guathier and 23 yr old Lydman.

Either of those pickups would make sense.A budget concious team getting a cheap,young defenseman and moving one of it's older,more expensive d-men.That cbs rumor was a little confusing.Supposedly the Flames were interested in Hamrlik.I thought the writer had gotten Hamrlik and Parrish mixed up in the article since Parrish's name was mentioned.Flames have scored 21 goals in 12 games.I'd have thought that Parrish would be the nyi they'd be interested in.

and why would they want Hamrlik's($3.6m) salary?

Old
11-09-2003, 12:05 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
31 yr old Rivet would be a short term addition.He's got to be close to becoming a ufa.
Actually Rivet just turned 29. I'm not a great fan of Rivet, but the guy can be a serviceable 4th defenceman, especially as a right-handed shot. Not spectacular in any particular area, his biggest asset is probably his team-first attitude. In any case, his all-around play at last year's World Championships impressed many hockey people.

I think that Rivet generally has more value than Wiemer because established right-handed defenceman are generally harder to find than low-scoring third liners. His salary, however, is somewhat inflated, which considerably lowers his trade value.

If Rivet gets traded, it will probably be in spite of his salary, to a team desperate to solidify its defence. There will probably be a few teams calling around the trade deadline, but until then he will not be traded unless someone is foolish enough to offer Gainey a power forward, or some semblance of one.

Closed Thread