HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Colorado goaltending situation

Closed Thread

Old
11-06-2003, 10:26 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DRL Send a message via Yahoo to DRL
Colorado goaltending situation

i have a few questions and would like you guys to rank the goalies in each category.

here are the goalies: aebischer, biron, burke, joesph, kolizg, nabokov, theodore.

question 1) who is most likely to be the avs starter come playoff time?

2) who is most qualified to lead the avs to the cup come playoff time?

3) who do YOU think will be the avs goalie come playof time?

4) who do you think LACROIX will want to be the avs goalie come playoff time?

5) rank from highest to lowest who has NO CHANCE of being the avs goalie come playoff time?

Old
11-06-2003, 10:33 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Nab, Biron and Theodore are going no where--so scratch them off you list

Burke is too high priced and the Dogs are going to shoot themselves int he foot again

Col and Det will not trade with each other--Detroit would rather hold on to JO then trade him to Colorodo and give them a better shot at winning the cup

Aebie needs one more year as a back

If the Caps start the rumoured house cleaning I am sure the Aves have pitched a tent outside Ollie's house so thy can help him pack

Old
11-06-2003, 10:34 AM
Habsolution

1) Burke and Kolzig are probable candidates. I'd think Kolzig has some very good chances to end up in Colorado if Washington keep slumping.

2) I'd say that Kolzig might be the most qualified. He's a veteran and has proven to be a good playoffs goalie by bringing his team to the SCF once.

3) see 1)

4) Kolzig

5) Theodore having the least chances, Kolzig the most ...

Theodore
Aebischer
Nabokov
Biron
Joseph
Burke
Kolzig

Old
11-06-2003, 03:36 PM
P0ckets
BB Pisses Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
i have a few questions and would like you guys to rank the goalies in each category.

here are the goalies: aebischer, biron, burke, joesph, kolizg, nabokov, theodore.

5) rank from highest to lowest who has NO CHANCE of being the avs goalie come playoff time?
Questions 1-4 : KOLZIG

-Burke would cost us too much in a trade
-Cujo is not as good as people think (he lets in too many soft goals) and is getting too old
-Aebischer isn't ready for the responsibilities of a #1 goalie
-Theodore would cost us way too much in a trade, anyone remember that ridiculous rumor from this summer and every Habs fan thought they were getting the raw end of that deal, we the Avs were blatantly getting the screwed in that supposed deal
-Biron is good goalie and could do very well in colorado but has no playoff experience
-Nabokov hasn't really been the same since the '01-'02 season, obviously the Sharks are terrible and that definitely has something to do with it, but he also needs to prove himself a bit more (atleast to me) before we trade for him b/c I don't think the sharks will give him up cheaply, I could be wrong though

5. Here's my ranking from least to most likely to be the Avs playoff starter excluding Kolzig

Theodore
Nabokov
Cujo
Burke
Aebischer
Biron

Some other possibilities?
Salo
Dunham

Old
11-06-2003, 07:52 PM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by silence
Questions 1-4 : KOLZIG

-Burke would cost us too much in a trade
-Cujo is not as good as people think (he lets in too many soft goals) and is getting too old
-Aebischer isn't ready for the responsibilities of a #1 goalie
-Theodore would cost us way too much in a trade, anyone remember that ridiculous rumor from this summer and every Habs fan thought they were getting the raw end of that deal, we the Avs were blatantly getting the screwed in that supposed deal
-Biron is good goalie and could do very well in colorado but has no playoff experience
-Nabokov hasn't really been the same since the '01-'02 season, obviously the Sharks are terrible and that definitely has something to do with it, but he also needs to prove himself a bit more (atleast to me) before we trade for him b/c I don't think the sharks will give him up cheaply, I could be wrong though

5. Here's my ranking from least to most likely to be the Avs playoff starter excluding Kolzig

Theodore
Nabokov
Cujo
Burke
Aebischer
Biron

Some other possibilities?
Salo
Dunham
Why would Dunham be a possibility?? He's been the Ranger's best player this year, they're definitely not gonna trade him....

Old
11-07-2003, 06:19 AM
messy_eh

There are a lot of If's and Buts as to who will be the Avs starter. I personally think Kolzig will be the guy, But Should Buffalo be willing to make a deal for Biron the overall package might be too much for Lacroix to walk away from.
the awnsers to your questions and what i think it will take to get them.

1. - Olaf Kolzig

2. - Patrick roy.....oh all the rumored players have equal question marks surrounding them but A proven Vet like Burke, Cujo, or Kolzig would probably be at the top.

3. again Kolzig

4. Martin Brodeur or Patrick Roy ...........Not that either will be there but the question was who would Lacroix want to be the starter.

5.this list could be too long to try.

the factor that might be considered is best goalie for cheapest return. is CUJO and the untangible factor is if/when Det and Col meet in the playoffs Cujo's revenge factor could be enough to put the avs over the top. Getting a goalie wanting revenge got the Avs thier 1st cup.

to trade for these guys I think Buffalo could be the best team to make a trade with and come out ahead or a step sideways. Afiniganov and Connely are bieng shopped (rumoredly) If the Avs could put together a package to get all 3 they could probably not hurt their on-ice product maybe somthing like this:

Col - Biron, Afiniganov and Connely
Buf - Tanguay, Skoula, and Ballard

Afiniganov could take Tanguays spot on the forsberg line might not be as good as the FTH line but it would still be effective, Connely gives them a younger player for thier 3-4th lines and Biron gives them a young goalie they can use or could be enough to flip to washington for Kolzig

another deal could be

Col - Olaf kolzig, Brendan Witt
Wash - tanguay , Skoula

a contending team dealing with a rebuilding team, enough said

the best deal could be for Cujo via a 3rd party

It could probably cost them a 3rd or 4th if the deal was done right. Calgary could be a good Middle man. Calgary gets Cujo and then flips him to Colorado, But Salary is the question mark.

Old
11-07-2003, 06:26 AM
P0ckets
BB Pisses Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater
Why would Dunham be a possibility?? He's been the Ranger's best player this year, they're definitely not gonna trade him....
If the rangers start to lose it, like the last couple of years, and seem be the same underachieving team, you don't think Sather might trade Dunham and try to get another goalie. Right now, I'll agree with you that Dunham has been their best player and won't be traded but come deadline that could all change depending on the rangers position in relation to the playoffs.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:05 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Highlander
another deal could be

Col - Olaf kolzig, Brendan Witt
Wash - tanguay , Skoula

a contending team dealing with a rebuilding team, enough said
Good try but here is the scoop in Was

Brendan Witt is our most untouchable player. He is the only physical dman we have from here to the farm. Besides that he is relatively cheap and still has very many good years ahead of him.

The Caps would not want another soft skilled forward like Tanguay as they have PLENTY of them already. They wouldn't want another soft dman like Skoula unless its just a throw in after the fact.

McPhee would want a 1st rounder just for starters and a good young physical dman with some potential.

Thats too much perhaps, but there will be other teams at the door for Kolzig come trade deadline....Clarke in Philly has called before about Kolzig and will come calling again. Also McPhee, no matter how much I hate him, is very very Shrewd when it comes to dealing players....especially a HUGE fan favorite in Kolzig. The Philly Fans even gave him a standing ovation last night.

The Caps are not in the Pens situation where they HAVE to cut salary..they just would PREFER to. Huge difference there.

If the Caps get rid of Jagr then Kolzigs price would go up considerably.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:30 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi24

Brendan Witt is our most untouchable player. He is the only physical dman we have from here to the farm. Besides that he is relatively cheap and still has very many good years ahead of him.

The Caps would not want another soft skilled forward like Tanguay as they have PLENTY of them already. They wouldn't want another soft dman like Skoula unless its just a throw in after the fact.

McPhee would want a 1st rounder just for starters and a good young physical dman with some potential.

Thats too much perhaps, but there will be other teams at the door for Kolzig come trade deadline....Clarke in Philly has called before about Kolzig and will come calling again. Also McPhee, no matter how much I hate him, is very very Shrewd when it comes to dealing players....especially a HUGE fan favorite in Kolzig. The Philly Fans even gave him a standing ovation last night.

The Caps are not in the Pens situation where they HAVE to cut salary..they just would PREFER to. Huge difference there.

i dont know why people continue to refer to tanguay as soft, have you watched him play this year? he is no softer than guys like bondra and palffy, gagne, modano etc. people need to stop being jealous of this guy cause he is producing when many rejected trade proposals with him in it and now they know they wished their team had him, he is one of the top 5 left wingers in the game period!

as for kolzig, the more you read about it and think about, lacroix wont settle for anything lower than this guy. i have been watching his last couple of games and each game he makes stellar saves and rarely lets in a softie, he is proven and most importantly he is a large goaltender along the lines of roy, burke and gigurere. i also find sauve to look small in net and i think a larger goaltender would benefit the avs as they like to shots to the outside, where sauve and abby seem to get beat most often, esp. when abby is flopping and trying to stop shots going over the net

anyways with solid defensemen such as gonchar and witt, washington seems like the perfect place to target for improvements later on in the season.

i think guys like kolzig, witt, gonchar, lang and bondra would all fit in perfectly with colorado and we have young guys that the caps might take a close look at such as: ballard, skoula, svatos, stephens, slovak and if lacroix needs to make a large trade guys like tanguay and morris may be available for the right price.

plus it can hurt that they have already made one deal with each other this year and are in separate conferences.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:41 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
A few things:

#1. Flyers can't add payroll, they won't be after Kolzig.

#2. I was at the game last night, and Kolzig didn't receive any applause let alone a standing ovation.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:51 AM
Goulet17

Quote:

The first problem with your contention is that Jagr is untradeable with his contract and perceived attitude problem. That is the reality.

Second problem, although Kolzig may be a fan favorite, if the Caps decide to move him, he will not command as much as he would otherwise due to the impending lockout.

Kolzig is 33/34 and makes $6.5 million per season, that is alot of salary to take on. Additionally, he makes that same amount for the next two years, past the expiration of the current CBA. Teams are not taking on players with large long term contracts, it isn't happening. A player with such a contract has diminished value, and it takes less to acquire him than say it would have two years ago.

It is frustrating that posters fail to recognize what the market has become for big salary-long term contract players. It is virtually frozen.

I'm not arguing that in fact the Capitals are trying to trade Kolzig. I also do not believe the Avs are interested with his contract. People fail to realize that all though the Avs are recognized as a "big market" team with huge financial backing, the reality is that they appear to be operating at a self-imposed budget of around $60 million.

Trading Tanguay, Skoula, plus whatever would still result in the Avs picking up over $3.5 million in salary, it will not happen.

Additionally, Lacroix has not signed any player to a contract that extends past this season other than Sakic and Blake (and those contracts were signed two years ago).

Mark my words, Lacroix will not acquire a player with a big contract that extends beyond this season, it would be in direct conflict with every other move he has made recently with respect to player contracts.

You can cross off players like Kolzig or Cujo, with their contracts. The only viable options for Lacroix will be a Sean Burke or another veteran netminder who is a UFA after this season or who only has a team option left on the contract. I'm not advocating that the Avs trade for Burke, but I just don't see how Lacroix will do anything differently due to his apparent economic philosophy.

So based simply on pure economics, these Kolzig or Cujo to the Avs rumors are not plausible.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:53 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
A few things:

#1. Flyers can't add payroll, they won't be after Kolzig.

#2. I was at the game last night, and Kolzig didn't receive any applause let alone a standing ovation.
" One player who didn't need an introduction in Philadelphia was goalie Olie Kolzig, who received a lengthy ovation from Flyers fans after one particularly outstanding stop against Simon Gagne 16 minutes into the middle period. Kolzig was trailing 3-0 at the time."

http://www.washtimes.com/sports/2003...5255-4988r.htm

You must have been out for a beer or something.

The Caps would probably take some payroll back.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:00 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
" One player who didn't need an introduction in Philadelphia was goalie Olie Kolzig, who received a lengthy ovation from Flyers fans after one particularly outstanding stop against Simon Gagne 16 minutes into the middle period. Kolzig was trailing 3-0 at the time."

I understand what the writer put in the article, but he was wrong.

#1. It was 2-0 at the time of the save on Gagne, not 3-0.

#2. I never get up from my seat unless it's in between periods.

There were no standing ovations all night. There may have been some cheering at the next stoppage of play, but that would have been for one of the stupid promotions they have during commercial breaks.

My family has had season tickets since 72, and I can count on one hand the number of times an opponent got an ovation at the Spectrum or the Big Bank Building.

Kolzig was very good last night, it easily could have been 8-0 after two periods if not for him.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:03 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17
The first problem with your contention is that Jagr is untradeable with his contract and perceived attitude problem. That is the reality.

Second problem, although Kolzig may be a fan favorite, if the Caps decide to move him, he will not command as much as he would otherwise due to the impending lockout.

Kolzig is 33/34 and makes $6.5 million per season, that is alot of salary to take on. Additionally, he makes that same amount for the next two years, past the expiration of the current CBA. Teams are not taking on players with large long term contracts, it isn't happening. A player with such a contract has diminished value, and it takes less to acquire him than say it would have two years ago.

It is frustrating that posters fail to recognize what the market has become for big salary-long term contract players. It is virtually frozen.

I'm not arguing that in fact the Capitals are trying to trade Kolzig. I also do not believe the Avs are interested with his contract. People fail to realize that all though the Avs are recognized as a "big market" team with huge financial backing, the reality is that they appear to be operating at a self-imposed budget of around $60 million.

Trading Tanguay, Skoula, plus whatever would still result in the Avs picking up over $3.5 million in salary, it will not happen.

Additionally, Lacroix has not signed any player to a contract that extends past this season other than Sakic and Blake (and those contracts were signed two years ago).

Mark my words, Lacroix will not acquire a player with a big contract that extends beyond this season, it would be in direct conflict with every other move he has made recently with respect to player contracts.

You can cross off players like Kolzig or Cujo, with their contracts. The only viable options for Lacroix will be a Sean Burke or another veteran netminder who is a UFA after this season or who only has a team option left on the contract. I'm not advocating that the Avs trade for Burke, but I just don't see how Lacroix will do anything differently due to his apparent economic philosophy.

So based simply on pure economics, these Kolzig or Cujo to the Avs rumors are not plausible.
so who do you think lacroix will get, or even better who would you prefer the avs acquire? i think kolzig is worth the money he is paid and the avs are not going to find a goalie who is elite that makes less than kolzig.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:04 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL

I may be in the minority here, but I don't think the reason for the losing streat/poor start of the Aves can be taken back to their goalies. Then again, I haven't seen them play a lot. But I would attribute some of the problem to the wide open game that they have been playing. Maybe an upgrade would be helpful, but I am not sure how many more games they would win.

1. I would have to go w/ Burke. As much as the Caps are stinking up the ice, I don't see them trading Kolzig, because he can still keep them in the game. Also it would be really costly to pry him away form the Caps.

2. Most qualified AND available would be Cujo. He never really has had a lot of D in front of him in Toronto and the Wings O dried up last season. Can't blame him for the 1st round exit. I don't think the Aves want anything to do w/ his $$$. so trading for him may not happen. (He may be the cheapest alternative - giving up talent wise).

3. Same a ? one.

4. Of those available I think he would go w/ either Cujo or Kolzig for the playoff experience only. Biron, Nabakov, Burke haven't done anything worth mentioning in the playoffs.

5. Outside of Aibecher and Burke, I really don't think the caps will be able to acquire any of those guys.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:07 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
I understand what the writer put in the article, but he was wrong.

#1. It was 2-0 at the time of the save on Gagne, not 3-0.

#2. I never get up from my seat unless it's in between periods.

There were no standing ovations all night. There may have been some cheering at the next stoppage of play, but that would have been for one of the stupid promotions they have during commercial breaks.

My family has had season tickets since 72, and I can count on one hand the number of times an opponent got an ovation at the Spectrum or the Big Bank Building.

Kolzig was very good last night, it easily could have been 8-0 after two periods if not for him.
Well I had the game on mute and didnt watch every minute.

It would not shock me at all if the writer got it wrong as most Caps beat writers in the area are prone to that.

I'll take your word on it!

I agree that Kolzig made the game close, but I think it could have been worse than 8-0 to be honest!

Old
11-07-2003, 08:08 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:

why would the caps take some payroll back when they are trying to slash the budget, face it the avs are the only team interested in kolzig at his price tag, plus esche is playing amazing right now and hacket should rebound.

one day your team will be lucky enough to have mr.skoula causing turnover after turnover i feel bad for caps fans if they end up with both bates and marty who had so much potential but.. well.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:12 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
I agree that Kolzig made the game close, but I think it could have been worse than 8-0 to be honest!

I said 8-0 after 2 periods .

After the first shift when Brashear knocked Emminger out of the game with a clean hit, the Caps did nothing until the 3rd period.

Sad, sad effort.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Sad, sad effort.
What do you expect from a team w/ a guy like Jagr.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:23 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
What do you expect from a team w/ a guy like Jagr.
It wasn't just Jagr.

Gonchar was about the only player that showed up for the Caps.

Also, not a single Caps player showed any guts to stick up to Brashear after he took Emminger out of the game. It was a clean hit, but you would think someone would stand up for the rookie.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Tinordi24*

I could see the Caps taking Therien and his $3 million in exchange for Kolzigs $6.5 mil.

That would help the D situation and will entice the Flyers to make the deal. Ofcourse the Caps would want picks and/or prospects as well, but in terms of offsetting salaries they will most likely have to do that no matter who they trade with.

It would still save money and continue the rebuilding process.

Old
11-07-2003, 08:27 AM
Tinordi24*

Quote:
It wasn't just Jagr.

Gonchar was about the only player that showed up for the Caps.

Also, not a single Caps player showed any guts to stick up to Brashear after he took Emminger out of the game. It was a clean hit, but you would think someone would stand up for the rookie.

Dont even get me started on that!! It would be a complete Threadjack!

But I'll throw in my 2 cents anyhow!!

The Caps went downhill with GM McFool and Crazy Ron Wilson. They completely wussified the team and Europeonized it.

Most people will know the first year they were here we went to the Cup, but that was really David Poile's and Schoenfelds team and philosophy that led to that.

THIS DISGUSTS ME THAT THEY DONT STAND UP FOR EACH OTHER!!

Old
11-07-2003, 09:22 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRL
so who do you think lacroix will get, or even better who would you prefer the avs acquire? i think kolzig is worth the money he is paid and the avs are not going to find a goalie who is elite that makes less than kolzig.
I like Kolzig, and I would love it if the Avs could pick him up without giving much off of their roster.

But I just think his contract is a problem, it isn't so much what I want but rather what I think will happen.

Burke seems like a real possibility based on his contract, outside of him, I just don't know. I don't Theodore or Khabibulin are possibilities, if they ever where to begin with.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:43 AM
hbk

IMO the price of Burke (both in terms of contract and assets required to acquire him) will be less than the cost of any other available elite goaltender. Cujo carries a $16 million dollar price tag. Despite the Caps desire to slash payroll they are still going to want a proven asset such as a Tanguay in return. (Note: this isn't a post about trade value - there are already enough Tanguay gets no respect posts). There is one year remaining in Burkes contract but it is a club option. Burke also makes $3-4 million less Kolzig or Cujo. I'm sure the Burke has never won a playoff series posts are set to come but Burke has never played on a team as loaded as the Avalanche and quite frankly I don't see any reason that team with Burke between the pipes wouldn't achieve some sort of playoff success. Last night was a pretty good audition by Burke for the Avalanche fans and he was the only reason the Coyotes had any chance of coming away with a point. Phoenix is very lucky they weren't down three goals in the first five minutes of play as the Avalanche were by far the superior team.

Old
11-07-2003, 09:50 AM
DRL
Streak killers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk
IMO the price of Burke (both in terms of contract and assets required to acquire him) will be less than the cost of any other available elite goaltender. Cujo carries a $16 million dollar price tag. Despite the Caps desire to slash payroll they are still going to want a proven asset such as a Tanguay in return. (Note: this isn't a post about trade value - there are already enough Tanguay gets no respect posts). There is one year remaining in Burkes contract but it is a club option. Burke also makes $3-4 million less Kolzig or Cujo. I'm sure the Burke has never won a playoff series posts are set to come but Burke has never played on a team as loaded as the Avalanche and quite frankly I don't see any reason that team with Burke between the pipes wouldn't achieve some sort of playoff success. Last night was a pretty good audition by Burke for the Avalanche fans and he was the only reason the Coyotes had any chance of coming away with a point. Phoenix is very lucky they weren't down three goals in the first five minutes of play as the Avalanche were by far the superior team.

burke did play well as i am sure he felt it was his chance to audition for the starting goaltender position.

Closed Thread