HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Huet signed for 2 years

Old
06-26-2006, 12:42 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
now...where is wildone26?
lol

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 12:44 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

The contract is expensive, I'll admit. I'm one of those guys who's not 100% certain in Huet yet. However, what I like about Huet is that he is the "anti-Theodore." He puts in his work, he works hard, and he probably doesn't get a big head, and for those reasons I think this is a wise investment. He was so calm and reserved this season, that I'm becoming more convinced by the day that he is a solid NHL goaltender. He'll provide us with reasonable goaltending until Carey Price is ready to take over. I'm glad that he didn't hit the open market, since there were rumours that other teams would have taken a look. This speaks about how proud Huet must be to play for the Canadiens, and that is another reason why locking this guy up is a good thing.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 01:03 PM
BJCOLLINS

After having our purse ***** by Theo, what does he make this year 5.5 or 6 million.
I'll take Cristo and his modest raise.

BTW this sets the market. It will be interesting to see what Rolie gets I say 3.5 million per for 3 year deal.

from the "Expect the Unexpected" file......does BG now trade Huet?

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Tucker316*

Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
OK, so we just re-signed Hurt. Now goodbye Abby, where will he go?

You know I am still not confident about our goalie situation. Huet had like one great half a year. He's over 30. He's now our official starter. How can we be so sure he's going to be stellar again, when he never proved before to be a full time starter.

Tucker316* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 01:11 PM
Tricolore#20
PK PK PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS
from the "Expect the Unexpected" file......does BG now trade Huet?
I hope not!

As for Gainey's quote, "expect the unexpected," I don't think necessarily his game plan. It could just be a way of saying, he'll keep his ear to the ground, and will make a move if necessary, but otherwise he might not plan on doing anything. I listened to Kevin Lowe speak the other day, and he said, "my favourite saying is 'expect the unexpected.' " It must be a cliche amongst general managers.

Tricolore#20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 01:23 PM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20
I hope not!

As for Gainey's quote, "expect the unexpected," I don't think necessarily his game plan. It could just be a way of saying, he'll keep his ear to the ground, and will make a move if necessary, but otherwise he might not plan on doing anything. I listened to Kevin Lowe speak the other day, and he said, "my favourite saying is 'expect the unexpected.' " It must be a cliche amongst general managers.
yeah...I heard that aswell....I would love to see BG package Abby+Zed+ (hide Ribs in the deal too) for a solid D or prosect or 2nd line player.

I think Bob will give his new coaching staff new life & cut out alot of the dead rot from last years team.

Old
06-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Team_Spirit
#FireTherrien

vCash: 915
First off im glad he's back and expect big things from him next season. Huet had all the cards on his side and did a good job for the team getting the confidence back on the bench .

I don't really care about the $ because im not the one paying him and that will most likely not affect anything the Habs will do this summer . But Mikka Kiprusoff should fire his agent on the spot after getting 3.3M..

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 04:15 PM
frolov_kovalev*

Salary

as per nhl.com:

Montreal Canadiens sign goaltender Cristobal Huet to two-year deal

MONTREAL (CP) - Cristobal Huet wanted the Canadiens and Montreal wanted him, so the French goalkeeper signed a two-year, $5.75-million US deal to remain with the NHL club.

Huet is scheduled to earn $3 million this season and $2.75 million in 2007-'08. Huet, who earned $456,000 last season, gave up a chance at unrestricted free agency to return to the site of his breakthrough 2005-'06 campaign.

frolov_kovalev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 04:36 PM
HABitual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
with Paris?
If Huet flops, he could also end up in Paris (France)

HABitual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual
If Huet flops, he could also end up in Paris (France)

lets say he sets the leauge on fire this season . leads the leauge in sv % and gga. vezina finalist.

next year we pay him less how can you argue with that.
regardless not a big gamble the salary were paying him .

7 shutouts? fluke? i doubt it

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Teufelsdreck

The good news about signing Huet for close to $3M/yr is that it sets a going rate for halfway decent free agent #1 goaltenders. Now Aebischer will seem more attractive to other GMs because his salary will only be in the $2M/yr range. I have high hopes that Gainey can trade Aebischer for a pretty good forward.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 05:03 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

The contract kind of reminds me of Kiprusoff's. Not crazy money or length, but a substantial raise and a mutual commitment.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Drakkar

On RDS, they said that Huet's agent asked for a no-trade clause, but Gainey said no. That's good, more freedom.

Drakkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:03 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Well I don't like seeing him go from 456K to 3M, just like I hated seeing Theo go from 1.65M to 4.5M. I don't care how good you play, it's only one season and to get that kind of raise is crap imo. I would have been happier to see him signed around 2M or so. But I'm glad he's signed cause he did have a great season, so if he can repeat the kind of numbers he put up, then it's a good deal money wise since he likely could have gotten 3M on the open market as a UFA. If he doesn't have the kind of season he had last year it won't really matter how much he is getting paid cause it will would likely mean our season is down the crapper. Huet is the biggest reason we even made it to the playoffs imo, I just hate seeing players get such huge increases after one season.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:43 PM
LeHab

The 2.5 to 3 millions range seems reasonable to me based on the new cap.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Well I don't like seeing him go from 456K to 3M, just like I hated seeing Theo go from 1.65M to 4.5M. I don't care how good you play, it's only one season and to get that kind of raise is crap imo. I would have been happier to see him signed around 2M or so. But I'm glad he's signed cause he did have a great season, so if he can repeat the kind of numbers he put up, then it's a good deal money wise since he likely could have gotten 3M on the open market as a UFA. If he doesn't have the kind of season he had last year it won't really matter how much he is getting paid cause it will would likely mean our season is down the crapper. Huet is the biggest reason we even made it to the playoffs imo, I just hate seeing players get such huge increases after one season.
Normally I'd agree with you except this time, with such a short deal, I don't want to nitpick too much on the amount. 2M would have been perfect, but even if it was 4M, we didn't commit to him for many years which means we played it on the safe side. So I like the deal, it's not like that extra 800K will be the difference maker between getting the UFA we covet and not getting him (at least I hope not), so it's not a big deal. I guess Huet got a bit extra money for thanking him on saving a season Theodore had tried so hard to flush down the drain.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:52 PM
turnbuckle*

Let's flashback 7 or 8 years ago....

Houle entering every free agency season proclaiming right off the bat that it didn't look positive for signing the Hab's impending UFAs, in fact he always made it sound like a player would never re-sign with the team, and they rarely if ever did.

It's sure been different during Bob's reign.

Last year Bob said there was a good chance that Kovalev would re-sign with the Habs because Kovy (and Gainey) was sure Montreal was a great place to play.... and he did.

At this year's draft Bob opined that Huet - who was second in GAA and save percentage this season if I'm not mistaken - would re-sign with Montreal because he enjoyed playing here and would like to play here again ..... Huet re-signed at very reasonable dollars considering his play, and what he could have garnered on the open market.

Gainey signed two goalies who will compete strongly for a starting role for hundreds of thousands less combined than Colorado will pay Theo, let alone the Av's backup. We've all seen Theo's off-season training regimen....reminding me of Daigle in his more "popular" days.

A million in the bank won't hurt when the Habs go for the big name free agent - Bob is itching to pull the trigger soon, just as he did in Dallas when he added the likes of Sydor and Niewendyk once he thought the team was good enough.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 09:19 PM
BJCOLLINS

I'm thinking it went this way: March 8/06 BG- I'll tell you what Cristo you get us into the playoffs and I'll adjust your contract to reflect an earning of 1.5 this year instead of the 456k. CH- Well that sounds nice and if I play well in the playoffs? BG-I'll give you 2 yrs. at 4.85.

CH-I'm your huckleberry Bob.

Old
06-27-2006, 07:37 AM
Netro

Quote:
In theory, I agree with 100%. However, there other important considerations in determining the financials of the new contact:

(a) Contract Length - Only 2 years, so even if the dollars are too much, it is only on the books for 2 years
(b) Market Value - Need to factor in what his market value in the league is. I think he was in line was a large raise if he became a UFA. So, the Habs had to pay at least the going rate
(c) Talent Evaluation - If BG feels that Huet is for real and will duplicate his play the next 2 seasons, then there is more confidence to give him a larger contract. Personally, I don't think we will see a drop in Huet's play over the course of the contract
(d) Reward - I imagine that BG rewarded him slightly for getting paid the league minimum last season and getting the Habs into the playoffs...which as we know means extra revenue
(e) Player Satisfaction - A happy player is a better performing player. Also, given the team is ultra confident in Huet, I think it sends the proper message to the rest of the players

I think all these things add up to the contract Huet signed. Did the Habs overpay? Maybe, but I would think no more than $500K annually. Given that it only a 2 year contract, overpaying slightly is better than the alternative.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 07:49 AM
Hockeymom67

Good deal

Hockeymom67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 08:56 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316
OK, so we just re-signed Hurt. Now goodbye Abby, where will he go?

You know I am still not confident about our goalie situation. Huet had like one great half a year. He's over 30. He's now our official starter. How can we be so sure he's going to be stellar again, when he never proved before to be a full time starter.
Is that suppose to be an issue or something? Huet is in his prime years for an NHL goalie.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Bryzga lol*

Excellant signing....much less than what I was thinking he'd get.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 06:06 PM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
if 1 million for 1 year equal 30% of Tim Thomas, then 2.5 million for 2 years equal what?
2 years for 5.7 million would equal about 124%, but if he signed for a 3rd year it would increase obviously.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 06:43 PM
HCH

Quote:
Well I don't like seeing him go from 456K to 3M, just like I hated seeing Theo go from 1.65M to 4.5M. I don't care how good you play, it's only one season and to get that kind of raise is crap imo. I would have been happier to see him signed around 2M or so. But I'm glad he's signed cause he did have a great season, so if he can repeat the kind of numbers he put up, then it's a good deal money wise since he likely could have gotten 3M on the open market as a UFA.
To me the situations are not comparable. Theo was signed at $4.5 million for three years with a cap space of $39 million (11.5% of total cap space) and was near the top of the market.

Huet is signed at $3.0 million when the cap space is $44 million (6.8% of total cap space) and totally within the context of the market. Just because Huet was a super bargain last year doesn't mean we should expect him to be a bargain basement signing this year. After all, we shouldn't be paying for past performance we should be paying for future performance... which Gainey expects to be worth $3.0 million

One more thing. Can someone clarify the cap hit on Huet for me. With is contract at $3 million and $2.75 million respectively, is the hit in year one at $2.875 million and in year two at $2.75 million, for a total cap hit of $5.625 million.

If it was the other way around I am sure it would be $2.875 million in the first year and $3.0 million in the second. In this example,the hit is $5.875 million.

I know it's a small difference, but in a cap world every penny can count.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 06:52 PM
LeHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by briste
To me the situations are not comparable. Theo was signed at $4.5 million for three years with a cap space of $39 million (11.5% of total cap space) and was near the top of the market.

Huet is signed at $3.0 million when the cap space is $44 million (6.8% of total cap space) and totally within the context of the market. Just because Huet was a super bargain last year doesn't mean we should expect him to be a bargain basement signing this year. After all, we shouldn't be paying for past performance we should be paying for future performance... which Gainey expects to be worth $3.0 million

One more thing. Can someone clarify the cap hit on Huet for me. With is contract at $3 million and $2.75 million respectively, is the hit in year one at $2.875 million and in year two at $2.75 million, for a total cap hit of $5.625 million.

If it was the other way around I am sure it would be $2.875 million in the first year and $3.0 million in the second. In this example,the hit is $5.875 million.

I know it's a small difference, but in a cap world every penny can count.
The cap hit is the average for each year.

Total contract amount / years on the contract = cap hit per year (constant number)

Theo cap hit was and will be 5.33m/year .

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote