HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rate our draft picks

Old
06-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Mtl6

vCash: 500
Rate our draft picks

1. David Fischer: 7.5 C
2. Ben Maxwell: 7.0 C
3. Mathieu Carle: 6.5 C
4. Ryan White: 6.0 B
5. Pavel Valentenko: 6.5 C
6. Cameron Cepak: 6.0 B

I may seem negative but I can't say I'm impressed with our 2006 draft. I hope the prospects will be able to surprise us like the 2005 draftees did. By the way I don't know a lot about Pavel Valentenko so if someone has some information...

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 02:07 PM
SOLR

Thats pretty low ratings, mine would be something like

1. David Fischer: 8.5 C
2. Ben Maxwell: 8.0 C
3. Mathieu Carle: 7.5 C
4. Ryan White: 7.0 B
5. Pavel Valentenko: ?
6. Cameron Cepak: ?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 02:13 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't know much about how to rank prospects, but from what I've read on other sites, our first pick was a bit of a reach, but the rest of the draft was more or less BPA, which is all you can hope for. I like the focus on D and up the middle, though.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I think the player ratings should be somewhere between SOLR's and mtl6's.

1. David Fischer: 8.0 C
2. Ben Maxwell: 7.5 C
4. Ryan White: 6.5 B

I really don't know much about the last 2, so leaving them out of it.

Note that, for example, Chipchura is rated on HF as a 6.5B, while Kostitsyn and Perezhogin are each 8.5B.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 02:38 PM
kostitsyn1489

Mine is:

1. David Fischer: 8.0 B
2. Ben Maxwell: 8.0 C
4. Ryan White: 7.5 B

Fischer has a great potencial for sure. More then a C.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 02:47 PM
SOLR

The letter is not the potential, the number is, the letter is your level of confidence he will reach the potential. My fisher ceiling would be a 9.0 C(first class intangibles, Stevens Stylez!) and my bottom would be 8.0B.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 03:23 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I like the Fischer pick, he's still in HS or just finished rather, but now the habs can help him develop. Whether that helps or doesn't only time will tell, but atleast we can be given the chance to mold him

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 03:26 PM

1. David Fischer: 8.5 C
2. Ben Maxwell: 8.0 B
5. Pavel Valentenko: 6.5 D
6. Cameron Cepek: 6.5 C

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 03:36 PM
Artyukhin*

was you impressed with our 200 pick last year when you first heard his name Sergei Kostitsyn.sure we all found it intresting the brother connection etc. did you ever expect him to break out like he did this season ? i didnt and neither did all those so called " PRO SCOUTS" obviously

how does a guy picked 200 over all in the nhl draft go unnoticed as sergi did to best rookie scorer of the OHL? i argue he should have won the rookie of the year but thats another story for another time

what about our 130 th pick last season ? Mathieu Aubin
he had a awesome year this year

wonder where Sergei Kostitsyn would get picked this year after his break out season in the ohl ? darn sure wouldnt be 200 th

i trust trevor and andre . this year will be no diffrent .
i reallly like white excellent steal at 66 and fisher was a very good choice . just because it was a " popular" pick doesnt make it a bad one .

Last edited by Artyukhin*: 06-25-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 04:03 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl6
By the way I don't know a lot about Pavel Valentenko so if someone has some information...
http://www.canadiens.com/eng/news/re...ewsItemID=5074

Russian defenseman Pavel Valentenko. The 6-foot-2, 202-pound native of Moscow is a strong, physical defenseman with a booming shot. Valentenko played a dozen games with Neftekamsk of Russia’s first division.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 04:10 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
1. David Fischer: 8C
6. Cameron Cepek: 6 C

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 04:15 PM
Bégin is the bestest*

Mathieu Carle: 8B

idk the other players enough to rate them.

Bégin is the bestest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Valentenko is the 4th best D out of Russia in this year draft and the last one drafted .

In 2004 , while the IIHF agreement was still active there was 9 Russians D selected . I think it's safe to say teams didnt put too much money in scouting in Russia with the lock-out and the difficult situation with tranfers fees . Valentenko could turn out to be a gem like Markov or a complete bust , only time will tell.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 04:22 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bégin is the bestest
Mathieu Carle: 8B

idk the other players enough to rate them.
So you're high on Carle then? Most around here aren't, really. Would you like to explain your opinion/views on him?

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Bégin is the bestest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuuuuu
So you're high on Carle then? Most around here aren't, really. Would you like to explain your opinion/views on him?
i'm high on him cuz he's québécois and offensively he'll be as good as Markov and i think he's not bad defensively. i also think out of all the LHJMQ defencemens in the draft, Carle is the bestest. i don't know Vishnevski that much, but Carle got more points than him last season and Ryan didn't impressed me, he didn't improved a lot this year, so Carle was the most bestest defenceman from the LHJMQ at this draft, i think he has to improve his strenght and he'll be a pretty good defenseman in the NHL.

Bégin is the bestest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 04:50 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Valentenko is the 4th best D out of Russia in this year draft and the last one drafted .

In 2004 , while the IIHF agreement was still active there was 9 Russians D selected . I think it's safe to say teams didnt put too much money in scouting in Russia with the lock-out and the difficult situation with tranfers fees . Valentenko could turn out to be a gem like Markov or a complete bust , only time will tell.

I just watched Valentenko (it was spelled Valentinko) play in the remax games against Carle, Lats and Aubin. He looked ok, nothing great but it's only 1 game. He got caught flat footed by Lats on the 1st goal, tried to hook him but Lats brushed it off easily and went in for the goal. Later on Valentenko had a nice attempt to crush Bourret but he ended up on the ice, at least he showed a willingness to hit. Made some nice passes, got a penalty on Mathieu Aubin, he had him tied up well but for some reason he pulled him down, didn't really need to, or so it looked. One things for sure, hockeydb's listing of 5'7 is way, way off. He was shoulder to shoulder with Aubin and was easily around the same height.

I also watched the U-17 gold medal game from 2 years ago. Ryan White (team west) vs Ben Maxwell (team pacific) White played a very good game, looked much better then Maxwell. White was blocking shots, taking the body, had some nice shots and played in all situations. His coach said he was the teams leader in the locker room and said how he did such a good job bringing the players together. His skating wasn't that bad, and his speed was fine since he seems to keep his feet moving. I can see he'll likely need to work on his mobitily and acceleration but he looks to be a hard working character player. Maxwell didn't stay out that much but his speed, skating and passing did. He took a bad penalty on Toews, it wasn't neccessary, but he clearly has offensive skills and they talked about how him and Zack Hamill (sp?) were the offenisve leaders.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Adam91

I was very pleased we were able to take Maxwell in the 2nd and White in the third many scouting services had them ranked much higher

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 06:03 PM
Mtl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I just watched Valentenko (it was spelled Valentinko) play in the remax games against Carle, Lats and Aubin. He looked ok, nothing great but it's only 1 game. He got caught flat footed by Lats on the 1st goal, tried to hook him but Lats brushed it off easily and went in for the goal. Later on Valentenko had a nice attempt to crush Bourret but he ended up on the ice, at least he showed a willingness to hit. Made some nice passes, got a penalty on Mathieu Aubin, he had him tied up well but for some reason he pulled him down, didn't really need to, or so it looked. One things for sure, hockeydb's listing of 5'7 is way, way off. He was shoulder to shoulder with Aubin and was easily around the same height.

I also watched the U-17 gold medal game from 2 years ago. Ryan White (team west) vs Ben Maxwell (team pacific) White played a very good game, looked much better then Maxwell. White was blocking shots, taking the body, had some nice shots and played in all situations. His coach said he was the teams leader in the locker room and said how he did such a good job bringing the players together. His skating wasn't that bad, and his speed was fine since he seems to keep his feet moving. I can see he'll likely need to work on his mobitily and acceleration but he looks to be a hard working character player. Maxwell didn't stay out that much but his speed, skating and passing did. He took a bad penalty on Toews, it wasn't neccessary, but he clearly has offensive skills and they talked about how him and Zack Hamill (sp?) were the offenisve leaders.

Hey Dan, how would you rate our prospects???

Old
06-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Mtl6

People over here seem to be pretty high on Fisher... I sure hope you're right!!!

Old
06-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Talent Analyst

1. David Fischer: 8.0B
3. Ryan White: 7.0 C
4. Mathieu Carle: 7.0 C
6. Cameron Cepek: 6 C

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:20 PM
All-Star

Based only on what I've read:

1. David Fischer: 8.0C
2. Ben Maxwell: 7.5 D
3. Ryan White: 6.5 B
4. Mathieu Carle: 6.5 D
5. Pavel Valentenko: 6 D

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 11:38 PM
Richer

I think people are a little too high on our prospects here.

Fisher 7.0C - At best he is project to be a puck moving number 2-3 D-man. He was just drafted out of High School so there is alot of projection here.

Maxwell 7.0 C Another good skater with second line offensive potenical. Still there are strengh elements that need to develop that place some question marks on this prospect.

Carle 6.5 B I see him as a Mathieu Dandeault type player, a good 5-6 guy who will be a good fit for today's NHL. A good skater but probably won't be a premier point producer.

White 6 A Perfect 3rd/4th liner. Strong skater probably has less development than the other propects.

Valentenko ????

Cepek ?????

I liked what Gainey did with this draft. He trended to players that can both skate and are the kind of guys that will drop down and block a shot. Both very important on a Carbo coached team in the new NHL.

Richer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 11:44 PM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
1. David Fischer: 8.0C
2. Ben Maxwell: 8.0 D
3. Ryan White: 7.5 B
4. Mathieu Carle: 7.0 C

The more I look at it, the more I'm thrill! I don't care why we didn't get Popov or Juutilainen (If 29 teams pass on them with their 4th-5th and 6th maybe they know something we don't). Ryan White will be awesome. I prefer him to Maxwell and would have been thrill to get him with the early 2nd rounder. I fell we are very lucky.

I Also hope some of them will impress just like the 2005 impress (Kostitsyn, D'Agostini etc...)

An A grade for the scout team!

EagleBelfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 11:47 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bégin is the bestest
i'm high on him cuz he's québécois and offensively he'll be as good as Markov and i think he's not bad defensively. i also think out of all the LHJMQ defencemens in the draft, Carle is the bestest. i don't know Vishnevski that much, but Carle got more points than him last season and Ryan didn't impressed me, he didn't improved a lot this year, so Carle was the most bestest defenceman from the LHJMQ at this draft, i think he has to improve his strenght and he'll be a pretty good defenseman in the NHL.
Is the vomit smiley still around? Now would be a pretty good time to use it.

1. David Fischer: 8.0 C
2. Ben Maxwell: 8.0 B

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
1. David Fischer: 7.5C
2. Ben Maxwell: 7.5D