HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Ribero compared to Tyler Arnason

Old
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Mike Ribero compared to Tyler Arnason

Ribero=Arnason=0

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169791&hubname=

Canadian Press

6/26/2006 2:15:53 PM

OTTAWA (CP) - The Ottawa Senators declined to make a contract qualifying offer to Tyler Arnason before the Monday deadline, making the veteran centre an unrestricted free agent July 1.

Arnason was a flop after being acquired from Chicago for forward Brandon Bochenski last winter. In 19 games, Arnason had no goals and four assists. He was a healthy scratch during the playoffs.

He was being paid $1.2 million US last season, and GM John Muckler said Monday that he couldn't work the American into his budget for next season.

"I still think he's going to play in the NHL and probably get a contract somewhere else," said Muckler. "We asked him if he'd take a reduction in pay and he refused to do that.

"Our assessment was that we could do better in the free agency or trade markets."

Arnason "wasn't in good shape at all" when he reported from the Blackhawks, said Muckler.

Meanwhile, talks continue to retain the services of defencemen Zdeno Chara and Wade Redden, both of whom can become unrestricted free agents July 1.

The Senators' goaltending situation remains unclear. Ray Emery and Dominik Hasek might both be back, said Muckler. Or maybe not.

"I wish I could but it's still not clear," Muckler said when asked if he could clarify things. "We're still exploring all our options."

He was in the Roberto Luongo sweepstakes last weekend.

"I'm not going to comment on the players were offered but we felt it was fair and it was rejected," said Muckler.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 04:39 PM
plafleur10

?????????????????

Where's the Ribeiro part?

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 04:41 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I think he is trying to compare the two to see if it's worth trying to sign Arnason.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 04:43 PM
HabsUnited

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
I think he is trying to compare the two to see if it's worth trying to sign Arnason.

I thought he meant we shouldn't qualify Ribeiro.

HabsUnited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 04:45 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsUnited
I thought he meant we shouldn't qualify Ribeiro.
True dat. But then again if we didn't a lot of people would complain we let him go for nothing.

Old
06-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

They are similar players IMO. However, we're not in the kind of cap trouble that Ottawa is, and we don't have the kind of proven offensive depth to compensate for losing Ribeiro, the way Ottawa can (and did) without Arnason. IMO.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 05:09 PM
MathMan

A friend, an Ottawa fan, tried to convince me Arnason was much better than Ribs right after the trade after I described Arnason as "Ribeiro minus the work ethic"... Yet Ribs has comparable career stats and has had higher totals for 2 seasons now.

Ribs does have a better work ethic than Arnason, I think -- scarily enough. Near the end of the season and in the playoffs Ribeiro was trying hard, but the results weren't coming. I think Carbo may try to turn him into a real NHL player in the coming year.

Arnason... Arnason was just disappointing. If the Sens had had Ribs I don't think they might not have scratched him. Bad move for Ottawa in hindsight, they basically gave away Bochenski and a draft pick for free...

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 05:15 PM
kostybros

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan
A friend, an Ottawa fan, tried to convince me Arnason was much better than Ribs right after the trade after I described Arnason as "Ribeiro minus the work ethic"... Yet Ribs has comparable career stats and has had higher totals for 2 seasons now.

Ribs does have a better work ethic than Arnason, I think -- scarily enough. Near the end of the season and in the playoffs Ribeiro was trying hard, but the results weren't coming. I think Carbo may try to turn him into a real NHL player in the coming year.

Arnason... Arnason was just disappointing. If the Sens had had Ribs I don't think they might not have scratched him. Bad move for Ottawa in hindsight, they basically gave away Bochenski and a draft pick for free...
nobody question the on ice work ethic of ribeiro, it's during the off season that ribeiro is making me sick. he's still around 165 pounds at 26, tell him where the gym is!!!

kostybros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 05:57 PM
goalchenyuk

anyway , where is the link ?

Arnasson had 4 points in his 19 games with Ottawa
Ribeiro had 3g 11 passes in his last 19 games .

May be Ottawa were too fast with Arnie ; Kovalev had the same kind of stats when he came to Montreal . It's in the playoffs that he found his touch .

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:00 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 50
Ribeiro is much better than Arnason on every level imo.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:02 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogy
nobody question the on ice work ethic of ribeiro, it's during the off season that ribeiro is making me sick. he's still around 165 pounds at 26, tell him where the gym is!!!
I think that one of the bad side to gaining muscular mass , is that it can slow your speed ; Ribeiro worked more his skating last summers , because it was more important for him to gained speed than muscles.

Old
06-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej
Ribeiro is much better than Arnason on every level imo.
Like Blind Gardien, I think they're pretty similar, and I also think that Ribeiro is the better overall player. But it seems like a reach to say he's much better on every level.

The part about showing up out of shape particularly struck me. It reflects badly on both Arnason as a professional and on the Blackhawks coaching staff.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:18 PM
HabuseMoi

god, stop wanting to turn Ribeiro in a fiesty hitting machine,I'd much rather see him skate faster and stay the same weight

HabuseMoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:32 PM
Pere Noel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi
god, stop wanting to turn Ribeiro in a fiesty hitting machine,I'd much rather see him skate faster and stay the same weight
I don't know, Ben Johnson had gained a lot of weight (in an appropriate way but that is beside the point), yet that gave him an edge.

It's about putting on the right type of weight... nothing wrong with having stronger legs... if it gives you an edge on the first two steps... nothing wrong with having more upper body muscles, if that let you go through opponents faster...

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Pere Noel

By the way, this title is completely misleading.

Pere Noel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 09:55 PM
Habs13

Ribs needs to be able to keep control of the puck better ..thats what he needs to work on. No point being a dispydoodler if you get knocked off the puck by a one handed shove from the defender.

Speed and better skating plus stronger legs... think St.Louis. He's small but has massive legs... and is hard to knock off the puck. He also has the speed element though, which Ribs won't ever have.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 02:17 AM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
I think that one of the bad side to gaining muscular mass , is that it can slow your speed ; Ribeiro worked more his skating last summers , because it was more important for him to gained speed than muscles.
Im getting tired of this argument. It is well known that Ribeiro does not work hard enough during the off season, he has been critisized his whole career for that. As a professional he should live in the gym and work on his skating like a mad man and thats something Ribeiro should have started as an 18 year old but he didnt cuz if he would have, he wouldnt be 170lbs and slow as a turtle right now. By the way, gaining muscular mass doesnt slow your speed, it actually enhances it but it has to be a gradual process and its a lot of hardwork which demands to be in the gym and do a lot of plyometry. Thats what pros do, like guys like Kovalev, Bouillon and Koivu did before this past season.

Last edited by jcpenny: 06-27-2006 at 11:35 AM.
jcpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Pats Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabuseMoi
Speed is great. But he looks like a boy playing among men at times. I remember him trying to contain Sundin in front of the Habs net. )For those of you who may be a Simpsons fan, I would liken it to Mr. Burns trying to contain Ranier Wolfcastle.) It was laughable. Sundin just flicked him off like he was an annoying bug, got the puck, and scored. He needs muscle mass. Period.

Pats Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 07:54 AM
goalchenyuk

Sorry but Ribeiro have worked his skating since he's with the team , and now he isn't so slow .And when he came to the camp , at the end of the summer , Dagenais told that he was in his best shape ever , because of his training with Ribs . I also read at that time , that Ribeiro was putting more weight than Dagenais , on the bench press ( sp? ). So thatmeans that he worked with weights ...and that Dagenais is really soft like a young girl

i know that he wasn't the model of the hard worker , in the summertime( neither than in the wintertime) , but i think that he did more than some of you think .

I would like to add that Ribeiro has improve his game , more than most of the Habs . He stillo far to be complete but at least , he try to works on his overall game .

Why nobody is complaining , for an exemple , that Koivu never worked his shut ? Koivu is probably having the worst shut in the league , and probably have a softer shut than half of the girls of the women league .

I remember that Lafleur Shutt and Lemaire were practicing their shut with iron puck everyweeks , when they were Habs . I can't beleive that Saku has ever worked his own

Last edited by goalchenyuk: 06-27-2006 at 08:05 AM.
Old
06-27-2006, 08:18 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
anyway , where is the link ?

Arnasson had 4 points in his 19 games with Ottawa
Ribeiro had 3g 11 passes in his last 19 games .

May be Ottawa were too fast with Arnie ; Kovalev had the same kind of stats when he came to Montreal . It's in the playoffs that he found his touch .
Well Arnason was benched for the playoffs because his play was so bad. I mean look at his +/- he went from +4 on the awfull Hawks to -5 in Ottawa that tells a lot.

Old
06-27-2006, 09:29 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf
Well Arnason was benched for the playoffs because his play was so bad. I mean look at his +/- he went from +4 on the awfull Hawks to -5 in Ottawa that tells a lot.
Plekanec did the same in 2-3 games when he took the place of Koivu , during the season ...That doesn't mean that much . The guy was in a bad shape and was playing in a bad team for years . He had to adapt his game to a new team that has a real system .

I don't want to say that the guy is a good player , or a heavy worker , but i think that the Sens were really fast to put him aside .

Old
06-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Habruti!

I guess it would warrent a poll, if you where a GM and where provided a choice between Ribs and Arnasson... Who would you choose. (I Persoanly would choose RIbs as I prefer "the devil you know as opposed to the devil you don't know")

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote