HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby to make spring cleaning

Old
06-26-2006, 04:48 PM
not quite yoda

vCash: 500
Bobby to make spring cleaning

http://rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/207140.html

In addition to Desjardins leaning towards retirement and KJ asking for 4M$ a year...

Savage, Brashear and Therien will not be offered new deals accordinng to BC.

Last edited by not quite yoda: 06-26-2006 at 05:12 PM.
not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Nuclear

Only person left is Stevenson who needs to be booted and we'd be fine

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Lupul*

We can just waive Stevenson and send him to the minors or something.

Lupul* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:10 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
Only person left is Stevenson who needs to be booted and we'd be fine
We're not "fine" after that, but he should go. We still will need a replacement for Johnsson and a 2nd line winger.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
We're not "fine" after that, but he should go. We still will need a replacement for Johnsson and a 2nd line winger.
I meant in the idea of spring cleaning, he was the last one that we need to remove before we can rebuild

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:45 PM
paxtang

Next, get rid of Nedved.

paxtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 08:55 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear
I meant in the idea of spring cleaning, he was the last one that we need to remove before we can rebuild
I don't think it's a rebuild. This is still most likely a playoff team. There are more moves to be made and questions to be answered. Is Primeau coming back? What do we do at net? How many young players do we bring up right away? Fortunately, we have a little cap space to work with, and some good young players. We definitely need to sign a top 4 replacement for Johnsson, and a top 6 winger. Other than that, who knows?

Old
06-26-2006, 08:58 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Next, get rid of Nedved.
I wouldn't mind that. Switch Handzus back to 3rd line center. If Kapanen can play LW, I'd go Kapanen-Zeus-Dimitrakos or Kapanen-Zeus-Radivojevic for our 3rd line.

Old
06-26-2006, 09:19 PM
phlacheesesteak

what are peoples opinions on Kapanen playing defense?

i think over the past couple of years he has turned into a defensive forward with offensive capabilities due to his speed. But because of his speed I think he is the type of player who would be able to be an excellent pairing with Hatcher.

phlacheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:09 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfphillystyle

i think over the past couple of years he has turned into a defensive forward with offensive capabilities due to his speed. But because of his speed I think he is the type of player who would be able to be an excellent pairing with Hatcher.
He wouldn't be able to last. He'd get pounded into the boards too much. He already had shoulder problems the majority of the year.

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfphillystyle

I was saying this in the playoffs this year. Our defense corps was beat up and he did a very admirable job there in the 04 playoffs when we were down to like 2-3 healthy NHL blueliners.

Adding a guy like Marty Murray is a good move and gives more speed to a forechecking line. We're thin on D with Rico and KJ on the outs, so why not at least give it a shot?

And, thank goodness for getting rid of Brashear and Therien. The last two stooges to be booted out of town and good riddance. Stevenson isn't a major concern if he stays or goes unless he can't stay healthy. If he's 100% fine, every checking line needs a grinder to wear down opponents down low.
Savage gone = check
Therien gone = check
Brashear gone = check
Desjardins gone = likely check

KJ asking for so much cash is idiotic and unwarranted after the fiasco this past season.
If Nedved could ever get his head in the game, he'd be an admirable temporary fixer for Forsberg being out til January, but alas, he's never been able to put it together unless he has amazing linemates named Jagr, Straka and/or Kovalev.

Blindside9711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:12 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
Savage, Brashear and Therien will not be offered new deals accordinng to BC.
Clarke said that after the playoff loss.

easton122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 07:05 AM
glovesave*

Cleaning? Get rid of Niko...

I'd like to see Dimitrakos gone as well. I don't care what his upside is, I've seen enough of him to recognize that he is a dog, and lazy.

Why would San Jose, in the middle of a playoff hunt, let him go for a mid round pick? Clearly, he wasn't a vital cog to them, and I don't see him being one here either.

His suicide pass to RJ will live in infamy forever.

glovesave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 07:26 AM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave
I'd like to see Dimitrakos gone as well. I don't care what his upside is, I've seen enough of him to recognize that he is a dog, and lazy.

Why would San Jose, in the middle of a playoff hunt, let him go for a mid round pick? Clearly, he wasn't a vital cog to them, and I don't see him being one here either.

His suicide pass to RJ will live in infamy forever.

I dont think anyone ever considered Dimitrakos as a "vital cog".
He's a 3rd/4th liner on the Flyers and unless he's traded that's probably what he'll remain.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 08:15 AM
SharksDownUnder

Send a message via Skype™ to SharksDownUnder
BC .... a BC trade

Any interest in Marcus Naslund for Gagne or Knuble??

SharksDownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Flyers_01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksDownUnder

Wouldn't trading Gagne for Naslund mean getting an older expensive goalscorer for a younger less expensive goal scorer? What's the point besides saving Vancouver some money and letting them get younger.

Flyers_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 08:58 AM
glovesave*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion of the North

I dont think anyone ever considered Dimitrakos as a "vital cog".
He's a 3rd/4th liner on the Flyers and unless he's traded that's probably what he'll remain.
My point is, he isn't worth jack **** to anyone, and I'd rather see one of the young guys get a shot in his place.

And as I recall, the DUC line was actually the 2nd Line to start the playoffs. Nah'mean?

glovesave* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksDownUnder
For Knuble? Absolutely! But, this isn't NHL 06.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 12:13 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
I don't think it's a rebuild. This is still most likely a playoff team. There are more moves to be made and questions to be answered. Is Primeau coming back? What do we do at net? How many young players do we bring up right away? Fortunately, we have a little cap space to work with, and some good young players. We definitely need to sign a top 4 replacement for Johnsson, and a top 6 winger. Other than that, who knows?
I think it's a mini-rebuild. When you consider that we've got Forsberg missing for half the season, the players that have been given walking papers or those who have priced themselves off the team, and the youngsters that are expected to fill key roles on this team, I'd call it a bit of a rebuild.

As for a playoff team, they should make the playoffs. Key word being should. It all depends on how well the team adapts to missing Forsberg. I guess that this will mean that they'll play some form of trap hockey to keep them competitive. If they don't play any sort of trapping scheme, then Hitchcock must believe that we have good enough players to remain competitive.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 12:22 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Naslund has a no trade clause, and after acquiring Luongo, I doubt that Nonis is thinking at all of trading him.

The Flyers are probably forced to clean house a bit just because of some of their contracts... I'm not sure who all the RFAs are, but I'm pretty sure that Gagne is a RFA and he'll get a huge raise (and deservedly so)... salary room will have to be created to allow for raises to RFAs.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 12:34 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I think it's a mini-rebuild. When you consider that we've got Forsberg missing for half the season, the players that have been given walking papers or those who have priced themselves off the team, and the youngsters that are expected to fill key roles on this team, I'd call it a bit of a rebuild.

As for a playoff team, they should make the playoffs. Key word being should. It all depends on how well the team adapts to missing Forsberg. I guess that this will mean that they'll play some form of trap hockey to keep them competitive. If they don't play any sort of trapping scheme, then Hitchcock must believe that we have good enough players to remain competitive.
They are going to struggle to score. They need to add some scoring for the top 6. Even with Forsberg they are not exactly world beaters. If they struggle out of the gate it will be interesting to see if they stay with the youth movement. I myself canít see it as no way Clarke and Snider will risk not making the playoffs.
Gagne/Nedved/Knuble
Umberger/Carter/? Or #15
Radio/Primeau/Kappy
Eager/Zeus/Richards
Or some form of this combination. Trade Zeus for a scoring winger as center is our strength. I know we canít count on Primeau. Much easier to find a 3/4th line center than scoring winger.

I am not sure what they will do on D. Right now the D doesnít look so good. Any word on what they will do with Hatcher? Has anyone even heard a peep out of him. Seems Hitch threw him under the bus a little about the captain remark, Clarke with his usual.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
They are going to struggle to score. They need to add some scoring for the top 6. Even with Forsberg they are not exactly world beaters. If they struggle out of the gate it will be interesting to see if they stay with the youth movement. I myself canít see it as no way Clarke and Snider will risk not making the playoffs.
Gagne/Nedved/Knuble
Umberger/Carter/? Or #15
Radio/Primeau/Kappy
Eager/Zeus/Richards
Or some form of this combination. Trade Zeus for a scoring winger as center is our strength. I know we canít count on Primeau. Much easier to find a 3/4th line center than scoring winger.

I am not sure what they will do on D. Right now the D doesnít look so good. Any word on what they will do with Hatcher? Has anyone even heard a peep out of him. Seems Hitch threw him under the bus a little about the captain remark, Clarke with his usual.
As I look at the list of flyer forwards I can't help but think that one or both of Radio/Dimitrakos are gone since they are basically the same player. Hustlers that can't really score.

The first line of Gagne/Nedved/Knuble are all likely to remain with the team (even though they may want to move Nedved his $2 mill salary makes it tough). Umberger/Carter are solid and staying but need a scoring winger and although Dimitrakos played well with them last year an upgrade is needed IMO. Prim/Kappy will be with the team as will Zeus and Richards. I think Eager makes the team because he fills a role and is young and cheap. Forsberg will come back mid-year so if they are going to improve the forwards I think one or both of Radio/Dimitrakos is gone.

Banger is offline   Reply With Quote