HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

How much does a scout make?

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2006, 02:57 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

vCash: 500
How much does a scout make?

Does anybody know how much an NHL scout makes a year and or where the info can be found?

Old
06-27-2006, 04:20 PM
loyst21

they dont make much... i had aspirations of finishing my degree and trying to break into the field with some help of sport management worldwide, but i heard they only make around 40,000-60,000 (not sure if thats us or canadian)... plus you cant have a family and you live out of a suitcase.. it sounds good to me, but i want to be able to teach my own kid how to play the game hah

Old
06-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyst21
they dont make much... i had aspirations of finishing my degree and trying to break into the field with some help of sport management worldwide, but i heard they only make around 40,000-60,000 (not sure if thats us or canadian)... plus you cant have a family and you live out of a suitcase.. it sounds good to me, but i want to be able to teach my own kid how to play the game hah

With the dollar at around .90 cents U.S. doesn't really matter any more. Its pretty close anyway. 40,000 doesn't seem like a lot. I thought for sure they would make at least $100,000.

Old
06-27-2006, 04:38 PM
Duff88

No matter what the salary is, the biggest problem as mentionned earlier is that they have to live in hotels, always travelling through the country and working very difficult schedules.

Old
06-27-2006, 07:53 PM
DaveyCrockett

Alot of scouts are older, retired hockey guys who don't necessarily need the money and are doing it for fun. You should try to get on as a part-time scout for a local AAA or Jr.A/B team. Small time commitment and you can still keep a full time job.

Old
06-27-2006, 09:23 PM
SOLR

It depends on who your working for and at what level.(Yes theres Bantam scouts!)

You can be paid by agents.(Usually the big money is here, because agents make money with good scouting.)(35k-100k)
By teams(Standard Pay)(35k-70k)
By Agencies(Standard Pay)(35k-60k)

But "scout" is not the end of the job line, theres a big raise coming with chief scout or personnal director etc.(All the way to DG)

Old
06-27-2006, 09:24 PM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff88
No matter what the salary is, the biggest problem as mentionned earlier is that they have to live in hotels, always travelling through the country and working very difficult schedules.
I did it for a season and a half for a junior team in Ontario. It's worse than it sounds.

Everyone thinks "oh, I get paid to give my opinion about players" and thinks it's glamorous. I lived out of a suitcase. I ate arena dogs and nachos and drank crappy arena coffee so much that I can't even look at a hot dog now.

You love going to games, you watch intently and cheer when your team scores the big goal, so you think that being a scout and being paid to watch hockey will be fun. Well, as a scout, you don't cheer for anyone. You aren't watching your favorite team, you are usually watching a couple teams that you really don't want to watch. You watch bad hockey day after day, night after night. After the game, it's not out for beer with the fellas, it's back on the highway to see another game, sometimes that same day, where your team has you looking at some guy that MIGHT have a shot at making the big team as a 4th liner one day.

Then, even after all of that, even after watching these games night in and night out, day after day, when you finally find that gem and you let your people know what you think about him, draft day comes and your team doesn't even pick any of the guys you suggested.

And the money is bad.

Old
06-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune
I did it for a season and a half for a junior team in Ontario. It's worse than it sounds.

Everyone thinks "oh, I get paid to give my opinion about players" and thinks it's glamorous. I lived out of a suitcase. I ate arena dogs and nachos and drank crappy arena coffee so much that I can't even look at a hot dog now.

You love going to games, you watch intently and cheer when your team scores the big goal, so you think that being a scout and being paid to watch hockey will be fun. Well, as a scout, you don't cheer for anyone. You aren't watching your favorite team, you are usually watching a couple teams that you really don't want to watch. You watch bad hockey day after day, night after night. After the game, it's not out for beer with the fellas, it's back on the highway to see another game, sometimes that same day, where your team has you looking at some guy that MIGHT have a shot at making the big team as a 4th liner one day.

Then, even after all of that, even after watching these games night in and night out, day after day, when you finally find that gem and you let your people know what you think about him, draft day comes and your team doesn't even pick any of the guys you suggested.

And the money is bad.

you've had some baaad luck.

Old
06-28-2006, 12:51 AM
The Assailant*

Quote:

And the money is bad.
if you think that is, bad you should try being a gynecologist

Old
06-28-2006, 01:21 AM
bulat_faikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett38
With the dollar at around .90 cents U.S. doesn't really matter any more. Its pretty close anyway. 40,000 doesn't seem like a lot. I thought for sure they would make at least $100,000.
100 000$ a year in the big league does sound like accurate to me... Anyway that's the salary they make in EHM manager (simulation game) which is based on the NHL and everything in it looks exactly as in the NHL

Old
06-28-2006, 01:24 AM
OrrNumber4

I am sure a scout like David Conte makes a lot more than 100,000.

Old
06-28-2006, 01:26 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:

And the money is bad.
I think this guy needs a hug.

Old
06-28-2006, 07:15 AM
no Gino

How about a guy like Vaughn Karpan who was the top personnel guy in Phoenix(technically second, but he ran their draft)? Now he is a western scout for Montreal.

Old
06-28-2006, 07:41 AM
NYR469

the top scouts get alot more because teams want to hold onto them and other teams want to steal them away. but the entry level guys just starting don't make much because for every 1 scout there are probably 500 fans that would kill to have that job and get paid to watch hockey. simple supply and demand more people want the job than available jobs and it keeps the salary down...

i'd imagine that there is a drastic difference in salary between a guy like david conte and the scouts at the bottom of the chain.

Old
06-28-2006, 10:14 AM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
the top scouts get alot more because teams want to hold onto them and other teams want to steal them away. but the entry level guys just starting don't make much because for every 1 scout there are probably 500 fans that would kill to have that job and get paid to watch hockey. simple supply and demand more people want the job than available jobs and it keeps the salary down...

i'd imagine that there is a drastic difference in salary between a guy like david conte and the scouts at the bottom of the chain.
That's not quite how it works. You are right that a senior scout makes more than a guy just starting out.

However, the "supply and demand" thing doesn't play a role at all. Yes, there may be 500 fans that would love the job, but none of them have the ability to be a scout. Being a fan in the first place would preclude you from being a scout.

Further, teams go with guys they trust. It's not like a McDonalds, where they can pay low because the turnover is so high. In the NHL and in major junior, you don't want high turnover.

That's why teams hire former players as scouts and not fans. They are familiar with the player, they know whether or not he sees the game the way you would expect a scout to see it, and they know that he can stand the demanding schedule.

Old
06-28-2006, 10:18 AM
KL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Assailant
if you think that is, bad you should try being a gynecologist
That's another job that people think would be a lot of fun, not really realizing what all it entails.

Guys don't realize that you're not examining Kristin Kreuk and Alyssa Milano all day. The majority of your clients are probably women in their 40's and 50's, many of whom don't keep themselves in shape. And beyond that, it's just not an attractive thing to look at all day long.

That said, I think that scouting is probably the most unjustifiedly glorified job that I can think of.

Old
06-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

Sounds like a pretty over rated job!

Old
06-30-2006, 03:55 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston
Sounds like a pretty over rated job!
Id still want it though lol

Its not a huge paying job but you get to watch hockey for a living...most people would do that for free.

Old
06-30-2006, 06:05 PM
Namso

i use to work as part of the first aid team at many many junior hockey events and at first i was like wow but after like the 8th match you realize how bad it is and wish you could run out of there as fast as you can.

Old
06-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Hiishawk

It's not just watching the players (and by the way, scouts do not watch games- they watch players) but it also means going back to your hotel room at 11PM and writing 10-12 detailed player reports on your laptop then sending them in.

The hardest part for me was becoming jaded about watching hockey- becoming inured to the action. I used to tour the city or catch something cultural in the town I was in to keep my head focused.

Old
07-01-2006, 03:29 AM
Predatore

Send a message via MSN to Predatore
Quote:
Originally Posted by steblick
The hardest part for me was becoming jaded about watching hockey- becoming inured to the action. I used to tour the city or catch something cultural in the town I was in to keep my head focused.
Why did you quit steblick, if I may ask?

Old
07-01-2006, 03:41 AM
Hiishawk

A wife, a child, a better job in another country. My team suffered big budget cuts at one point which made it hard to continue.

I'm still involved in other aspects of international hockey though and do some sideline scouting too. I tend to hit the big tournaments and a few special games here and there now rather than the day-to-day drag of the years before.

Old
07-01-2006, 02:30 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steblick
It's not just watching the players (and by the way, scouts do not watch games- they watch players) but it also means going back to your hotel room at 11PM and writing 10-12 detailed player reports on your laptop then sending them in.

Thats the way I am now...when i watch hockey i dont actually just watch it for enjoyment..i pick everything apart, i watch it analytically.

Old
07-01-2006, 07:53 PM
Anthony Mauro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLaprise
Thats the way I am now...when i watch hockey i dont actually just watch it for enjoyment..i pick everything apart, i watch it analytically.
Yep, its the same for me. I can enjoy the NHL, if that matters. I don't break down every single facet of the game or player with the pro's as you can get a general feel for the guy based on a brief viewing. At that point of making the NHL, you don't need to assess a guy like you do in amateur. Anyway, just one part of hockey that you can enjoy IMO.

Old
07-04-2006, 05:33 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
My former (and hopefully there will be another season...) coach Kent Nilsson scouts for the Oil and I remember him saying something that he made $13000 a month.

Closed Thread