Notices

Kyle Wanvig

Old
06-27-2006, 07:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Kyle Wanvig

Didn't he used to be a highly thought of prospect? What happened? Why was he scratched so much, last season? Why has he been let go? What do you seen in his future? What are his strengths/weaknesses?

Thanks.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 08:03 PM
sushinsky4tsar

He has the size, he just doesn't use it nearly enough. When we first drafted him he was touted as this mean as snot future 2nd line pf that might develop a scorer's touch. Occasionly, he looks really noticeable out there. Good hustle, finishing checks, driving the net. But most of the time he's invisible. He doesn't have the skill set or vision to float. We have depth players with a lot better two-way games. I think we gave him a fair shot here, it just didn't work out. Time to give Foy his shot. He wouldn't be a bad guy to pick up, maybe he'll be "Michalek-esque" and develop into a decent pf yet. JUst don't expect him to be an answer to a glaring need.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 08:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar
He has the size, he just doesn't use it nearly enough. When we first drafted him he was touted as this mean as snot future 2nd line pf that might develop a scorer's touch. Occasionly, he looks really noticeable out there. Good hustle, finishing checks, driving the net. But most of the time he's invisible. He doesn't have the skill set or vision to float. We have depth players with a lot better two-way games. I think we gave him a fair shot here, it just didn't work out. Time to give Foy his shot. He wouldn't be a bad guy to pick up, maybe he'll be "Michalek-esque" and develop into a decent pf yet. JUst don't expect him to be an answer to a glaring need.
I was hoping for a cheap replacement for Tyson Nash, not a top six forward. Someone with alot of grit and hustle, and perhaps the potential to be more than a fourth liner.

Is he a willing fighter? Is he any good at it?

Old
06-27-2006, 08:09 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

he peaked too early

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 08:36 PM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt
I was hoping for a cheap replacement for Tyson Nash, not a top six forward. Someone with alot of grit and hustle, and perhaps the potential to be more than a fourth liner.

He's alright, and he's not afraid to drop'em, but he isn't exactly what I'd call willing. It would take too much effort and initiative, and Kyle has displayed a serious lack of both qualities.

He had his shot here, and he just wouldn't do what he needed to do to make the best of it. I remember after one game in which he played really well, Jacques took him aside and said, "That's it. Right there. That's exactly what we want you to do, and it's all we want you to do. Do that every night, and you'll play every night."

And he still couldn't figure it out. The next night, he just went back to wandering around like a zamboni, waiting for someone else to make something happen. I don't think the kid will ever figure it out, frankly. I just don't think he has what it takes mentally.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 08:40 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt

Yeah I know, my point is don't even expect a dynamic bottom 6 forward, though he prob. is worthy of a regular 4th line role. You won't get an agitator, you won't get anyone who looks like he's playing w/ an edge. Maybe it's just his demeanor, but he never LOOKS like he's having any fun out there or that he's that into the game. But who knows maybe with a change of scenery. You can see some grit, you can see good hustle, you just don't see it enough out of him. He's still only 25.

btw: I've seen him drop the gloves. But he's no fighter. Not that he was asked to be on this team either.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2006, 08:43 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Thanks for the info, guys.

Old
06-27-2006, 11:22 PM
ceber

Lacked consistency.

ceber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Wild Thing

I think what he lacked was a clue.

I'll never forget that exhibition game the Aeros played up here during the lockout season. It was their showcase, their chance to shine, their opportunity to show the Minnesota fans, the coaching staff, and the ownership what they could do. Most of them rose to the occasion - Burns offered a solid, smart, mature game, Koivu played his heart out and looked like a future team leader and #1 center, Foy buzzed around like a crazed hornet, constantly looking for new opportunities to make something happen and pouncing on everything that moved, and even Boogard played a terrific game.

But Wanvig? He looked like he was on quaaludes. While everyone else was trying to show they belonged in that building, Wanvig seemed like he was worried he might get in someone's way. "Hey, look! There's a bunch of guys playing with a puck over there in the corner! Maybe if i just stand around here for awhile and wait my turn, one of 'em will pass it to me or something like that."

I was so disappointed in him. I thought to myself, "Man, what are you thinking? This is the biggest game of your pro career. The coach, the GM, the owners, and all the fans are watching every move you make, and you are making no effort at all? You're hopeless." He should have been throwing himself around like a man on fire, hitting everything that moved, rushing the net, going into the corners like a freight train and stapling his man to the boards... but I only saw him throw one decent hit all night, he was never once the first man into the corner, and you'd have thought the crease was a minefield or something from the way he stood five feet away from it just staring at it. I had a sick feeling right there that he was never going to pan out. He just doesn't seem to have the heart for it.

It's too bad, because he seems like a really good kid, and he's obviously got a lot of ability. But for some reason, he just can't seem to figure out how to put it together. I wish I could say I believe he'll figure it out someday, because I'd love to see him succeed, but I can't say that. I just don't think he has it in him. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think i am. If he hasn't figured it out by age 25, it's not very likely he ever will.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
he peaked too early
LOL! The whole fax machine thing totally destroyed his confidence..

Wild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote