HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs Cap Number and Salaries (Updated Regularly)

Old
06-27-2006, 09:22 PM
avalanche_country

vCash: 500
Foppa2118 , good job

avalanche_country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Melrose'sMullet

I doubt AD is right about the additional 4.6 mllion hit, or at least it needing to be factored into this equation...if that were the case I'm sure Sakic would have signed for much less...

Besides, how can they have bonus payments for 06-07 when they are or were set to be UFA's???? My feeliing is if there was some sort of a bonus clause, that figure was considered and included in the 5.75 figure on Sakic, as well as negotiations with Blake.

Melrose'sMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 02:09 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalanche_country
Foppa2118 , good job
Thanks man. I had help from a couple people pointing out a couple mistakes too.

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Commander Enigma

AD wrote an article about the bonus clauses... http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_3987191

The only mention of a source is "Those bonus payments were brought to light by the Avalanche only this week."

Hopefully it's misinformation by the Avs. We know they've done it before. It doesn't seem to make any sense, and I'd be disappointed that Joe wouldn't take more of a discount if he knew he had this bonus coming.

Frei mentions it too:http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_3987271 .

Quote:
And that's even before the twin $2.3 million bonus payments to Sakic and Blake, due in 2006-07 as part of the contracts they signed in 2001, come into play. Because of the bonus, Sakic will eat up more than $8 million of the Avalanche's cap space next season. Even if Blake, who could be an unrestricted free agent Saturday, leaves, the Avs will be paying him that $2.3 million bonus, and it will count against the cap for 2006-07.
He was probably fed the same information (hopefully misinformation) as AD, but now I'm getting nervous. If it's true, Sakic is being overpaid by a wide margin and it's disappointing he wouldn't be willing to factor the bonus into his salary. Hopefully Blake will. But a 37 year old player eating up 18% of the cap space would be handcuffing this team.

Last edited by Commander Enigma: 06-28-2006 at 02:59 AM.
Commander Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:18 AM
Serenity19
Keep Flying

That's not good

It all depends on how Blake and Sakic's contracts were structured. If the bonus money is simply a bonus that is to be paid at the termination of their contracts, then it would technically need to count against next year's cap, and Dater, Frei, and Sadowski are correct.

OTOH, if the money is a signing bonus that was deferred, I'm pretty sure that the bonus money does not count against the cap, since it is money that was earned in the first year of the contract (which was under the old CBA), but deferred. The rule that applies depends on the wording in the contract, which is rather unfortunate.

Last edited by Serenity19: 06-28-2006 at 04:03 AM.
Serenity19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:39 AM
motojime

Oh, oh... Those bonuses could really devastate all of our hopes put in the new Avs team...

motojime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:52 AM
Colorado Avalanche

We are ****ed like Paris Hilton.. Holy ****..

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 05:55 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity19
From CBA Article 50.2 (b)(i)(B) (which deals with contracts signed before the new CBA):
Any Deferred Bonuses earned for services performed prior to the 2005-06 League Year and not requiring any further activity or achievement by the Player as an active NHL hockey Player for the 2005-06 League Year or for any League Year thereafter, shall not be counted for purposes of the Players' Share, Upper Limit or Lower Limit.

If the bonuses due Sakic and Blake were deferred signing bonuses, they will not be counted against the cap. If they were general bonuses applying over the length of the contract, only the portion that applies to the 2005-06 season will count against the cap.

I apologize if anyone saw the earlier post that I deleted. I copied the wrong part of the CBA for that one.
According to the CBA's definition, they are defered bonuses.

"For these purposes, "Deferred Bonuses" means any Bonuses that are earned during the term of an SPC during which the services attributable to those Bonuses are performed, but are not paid until after the expiration of such SPC. By definition, Deferred Bonuses that are earned during the term of an SPC may not be paid until after the expiration of such SPC.

For SPCs entered into prior to the execution of this Agreement:
(1) Any Deferred Bonuses that will be earned for services rendered during the 2005-06 League Year or any subsequent League Year shall be counted for purposes of the Players' Share and the Upper and Lower Limit at their present value at 1-Year LIBOR plus one and one-quarter (1.25) percent in the year for which they are earned (unless the Deferred Bonuses are to be paid with interest, in which case they shall be at the stated cash amount of the Deferred Bonuses), pursuant to subparagraph (A) above.
(2) Any Deferred Bonuses earned for services performed prior to the 2005-06 League Year and not requiring any further activity or achievement by the Player as an active NHL hockey Player for the 2005-06 League Year or for any League Year thereafter, shall not be counted for purposes of the Players' Share, Upper Limit or Lower Limit."

This is the same part of the cba that you looked at, but I think the other parts of the paragraph are more important. If they "earned" the bonuses before 05/06, it automatically wouldn't count toward the cap. If they "earned" the bonus in 05/06, according to the part I put in bold, it would only count toward the cap in the year they "earned" the bonus, which would be 05/06. The part talking about 1-year Libor is only talking about how much is counted toward the cap, as I believe Libor is a term for a certain percentage rate. Unless I'm overlooking something, I don't think these bonuses should count toward the cap in 06/07, or any other year after. Even if it is technically a defered salary, not a defered bonus, the CBA says that also should only count toward the cap in the year it was "earned" not when it was paid, so that still wouldn't count toward the cap this year.

Old
06-28-2006, 06:08 AM
Colorado Avalanche

This is getting interesting.. Hopefully Adrian is wrong

Old
06-28-2006, 06:12 AM
Foppa2118

Here's another section that reinforces this.

Quote:
(c) "Actual Club Salary." "Actual Club Salary" shall mean the entire aggregate amount committed by each Club in a League Year, annualized, but calculated daily, to be paid or earned as Player Salaries and Bonuses in that League Year (and which is intended to include any and all other commitments to Players as set forth below), with such Player Salaries and Bonuses calculated in accordance with this Section 50.2(c). Actual Club Salary does not include Benefits. Actual Club Salary is utilized to calculate the League-wide Player Compensation, as contrasted with Averaged Club Salary, set forth in Section 50.5(d)(i) below, which is utilized to determine a Club's Payroll Room. For purposes of calculating League-wide Player Compensation for a given League Year, as set forth in the Final HRR Report, the Actual Club Salary shall include the Players' Salaries and Bonuses and any other amounts of money paid by the Clubs (except that Deferred Salaries and Deferred Bonuses are included in Actual Club Salary in the League Year when earned, not when paid), including any amounts deposited into the Escrow Account.

Old
06-28-2006, 06:33 AM
KOOLAIDMAN

I hope to god AD and the others are wrong. If they are right, and we do manage to sign our free agents we are still looking at almost the same team as last year, if not worse considering the Tanguay deal.

KOOLAIDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 06:39 AM
Serenity19
Keep Flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
This is the same part of the cba that you looked at, but I think the other parts of the paragraph are more important. If they "earned" the bonuses before 05/06, it automatically wouldn't count toward the cap. If they "earned" the bonus in 05/06, according to the part I put in bold, it would only count toward the cap in the year they "earned" the bonus, which would be 05/06. The part talking about 1-year Libor is only talking about how much is counted toward the cap, as I believe Libor is a term for a certain percentage rate. Unless I'm overlooking something, I don't think these bonuses should count toward the cap in 06/07, or any other year after. Even if it is technically a defered salary, not a defered bonus, the CBA says that also should only count toward the cap in the year it was "earned" not when it was paid, so that still wouldn't count toward the cap this year.
I thought the exact same thing until I started thinking back to when the contracts were signed. I may be mistaken, but weren't the contracts 5-year deals signed after the 2000-01 season with an option for the 5th year and the bonus due in the 5th year (2006-07)? If that's the case, then refusing to pick up the option and signing the player still could cause the bonus to be "earned" in the option year (which unfortunately counts against the cap unless deferred). Now if I read the CBA correctly, that means that the bonus should have been averaged into this year's cap as well. So this leaves me a little confused, since I don't think that was the case.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that without knowing the contract details, it looks as if the bonus money is deferred and should not count against the cap. Unfortunately, there is a small possibility that the money is not considered deferred because of something in the way the contracts were constructed. That being said, if the bonuses are not considered deferred, I think the league made a mistake by not applying half of the salary cap hit to this year's cap.

On another note, I'm really glad that you are reading the CBA. The more of us that do, I think the better off we will all be in understanding it.

Serenity19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 07:12 AM
Jori

Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
The bonuses are also mentioned in Sadowski's article in the RMN today. Man this sucks.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...806817,00.html

Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 08:04 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Next season will be nightmare..

Old
06-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Jori

I'm so ticked off right now. Unless Giguere makes some other trades, we are basically stuck with the same team that got swept by Anaheim. So we have to wait another year before having any cap flexibility as we watch a great defensive free agent class go by.

I'm willing to let Blake go at this point. The Avs have 12 million left to sign 9 players if they want to field a 23 man roster. Here's to another transition year

Old
06-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Jori

I think the large cap hit for next year is worth buying out Brisebois. At this point in time, only Wolski and Theodore are on the books for 07-08 (let me know if I'm missing somebody).

Old
06-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Roman Tanner

This is simply ridiculous...

Here I thought the Avs would have 5-6 million to play with and suddenly it's eaten up by mysterious bonuses from half a decade ago?

And how could they have not factored that into the salary equation. It makes Sakic one of the most overpaid players in the league.

I could care less if this wasn't a cap hit. Heck, give him a 20 million dollar bonus for all his commitment to this franchise....But against the Cap?

That is frankly, crippling...
The news keeps getting better from the Tanguay-less Avs....No wonder Pierre wanted out.

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori_18_23
I think the large cap hit for next year is worth buying out Brisebois. At this point in time, only Wolski and Theodore are on the books for 07-08 (let me know if I'm missing somebody).
Richardson's rookie-contract.. Laperriere might have option year for 07-08.

Old
06-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Roman Tanner

This is so infuriating.

What a huge buzz kill.

Roman Tanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Now i undestand why they qualified Sauer and McLean.. We can't get better players to replace them.

Old
06-28-2006, 09:15 AM
avalanche_country

I just dont see how this can happen but it looks like it is unless 3 writers are wrong ....

what a buzzkill

avalanche_country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Jori

Sadowski was just on AM 560 and he said that the bonus for each player was originally 3 million, but it was also subjected to the 24 % roll back. This news is such a kick to the gut. They need to add a top six forward and a top four defenseman and I'm not sure how they'll go about making improvements.

Old
06-28-2006, 09:24 AM
Colorado Avalanche

So, what for Sakic and Blake got their bonuses?

Old
06-28-2006, 09:28 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

I can't believe this is accurate. If this is truly the case, then PL kept the wrong 2 guys...instead of Rob and Joe, he should have kept Peter and Adam. This CBA is freakin' retarded.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Sakic will cost us 5.7 + 2.3 million per year. Blake 2.3 + 0, if he doesn't sign with us.. but this is just awful.

and personally..

Tanguay > Theodore