Goals????????

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2003, 06:51 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Goals????????

Well, another shut out loss
Anyone that's thinking of trading for a goalie should get their priorities straight - we need OFFENCE!!!!!!!!
Trade Saprykin (he's always scratched anyways) and Gauthier for a quality forward - it's painfully obvious we need it.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:09 PM
kruezer

vCash: 500
This is getting outrageous, we really need someone to put the puck in the net.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:11 PM
kruezer

Just saw the shots, 18-5 in the third, someone please score.

Old
11-07-2003, 07:36 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Gawd, it sure would be nice to have the one-dimensional play of Valeri Bure right now.

Isn't Berezin available? His one dimension would work wonders for the Flames' anemic offense. This is getting pathetic already.

Old
11-07-2003, 10:51 PM
calgarylen13

recall Dome!

Make Saprykin-Lombardi-Dome the first pairing!

Play Lydman for 40 minutes!

Bench Iginla and Conroy!

I betcha 100 bucks they'd score some goals if they did that.

How many is that? None unfortunately!

Old
11-07-2003, 11:05 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man
Gawd, it sure would be nice to have the one-dimensional play of Valeri Bure right now.

Isn't Berezin available? His one dimension would work wonders for the Flames' anemic offense. This is getting pathetic already.
If we could get rid of McAmmond, I'm sure we could afford to pick up Berezin, not as a major-longterm pickup, but maybe he could jumpstart things for a bit this year.

Old
11-08-2003, 03:46 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakin' Saprykin
Make Saprykin-Lombardi-Dome the first pairing!
Other teams' top checking units would emascuate that line in no time flat. However, you do bring up an valid point. Saprykin & Lombardi, who possess offensive abilities, were both healthy scatches last night.

Old
11-08-2003, 07:26 AM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lafleur
Isnt it funny how when Iggy had a HUGE year he went after the big dough ..now you dont see him offering anything back do you .This is Iggies last year in Cowtown ....maybe you should trade him now .Get some new blood ..2 or 3 young prospects maybe .Iggy for Williams and Gagne maybe ?
ps- i love Iggy but at 7.5 mill he isnt helping the Flameouts enough .
Not again with the Calgary/Philly stuff. Iginla is here to stay, he will come around he always does.

Old
11-08-2003, 08:08 AM
Badger Bob

Packaging Saprykin & Gauthier might bring a respectable return, and maybe even provide the team a much-needed jump. However, there are players already in a Flames uniform, who are expected to contribute offense. The game against the Wild was a fair comparison.

Other than Marian Gaborik, does anybody seriously believe that there is anybody else on the Minnesota roster, who keeps NHL goalies up at night? Calgary should have a more productive offense than the Wild. Minnesota's success lies in their outstanding coaching, and the players' execution of the system that Jacques Lemaire put in place.

Both goalies facing team their former teams (as John Garrett mentioned at the start). Roloson was given almost as much work in the 3rd period (18 shots) as McLennan had in the whole game (20 shots). Nobody had better pin their hopes on McLennan.

Old
11-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
When your third and fourth lines are creating most of the offense(aside from that flurry in the third), your not going to win many hockey games. I understand why Saprykin was benched because of his give away last game, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DAVE LOWRY SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING ON THE SECOND FREAKING LINE!!!!!! I know our options are somewhat limited, but play somebody else there please. Lowry should be on the 4th line or in the press box. Reinprecht and Kobasew have potential, but they need someone who is not named Lowry playing with them. Put Gelinas there. Put Gelinas on the top line and bump McAmmond down to line two. Put Saprykin there. Call up Dome and put him there. Just don't use Lowry on a scoring line!!!!!!!

And back to Saprykin for a moment. I wish Sutter would just give him a chance on one of the top two lines for an extended period of time, to really see what he can do. Being in and out of the line-up is not the best thing for him, and he is a scorer, so give him a chance to play with some offensively talented players. Try him with Conroy and Iggy, or Reinprecht on the second line. If he doesn't produce when given an opportunity, then I will understand why Sutter doesn't want to play him all the time. Give him a fair shot on a scoring line.

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Old
11-08-2003, 10:32 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Packaging Saprykin & Gauthier might bring a respectable return, and maybe even provide the team a much-needed jump. However, there are players already in a Flames uniform, who are expected to contribute offense. The game against the Wild was a fair comparison.

Other than Marian Gaborik, does anybody seriously believe that there is anybody else on the Minnesota roster, who keeps NHL goalies up at night? Calgary should have a more productive offense than the Wild. Minnesota's success lies in their outstanding coaching, and the players' execution of the system that Jacques Lemaire put in place.

Both goalies facing team their former teams (as John Garrett mentioned at the start). Roloson was given almost as much work in the 3rd period (18 shots) as McLennan had in the whole game (20 shots). Nobody had better pin their hopes on McLennan.
I think Dupuis scares goalies but I think your right it has to do with the system they play in. Park is on a tear along with Daigle (tear, Daigle, never thought I say that) and their forwards look a bit better than last year.

And when you get Bouchard in a scrap, you got problems

Old
11-08-2003, 11:49 AM
reg dunlop

Nobody had better pin their hopes on McLennan.

that is a ridiculous statement, how many goalies whether they are martin brodeur or roy are going to win many games when the offense scores an average of less than 2 goals a game.... goaltending is the least of the flames problems right now...

Old
11-09-2003, 12:29 AM
kruezer

Is McAmmond back?

I'm not that against PBing Lombardi, we can't be calling on him all the time (which is why we need a 2nd line center, hello Gauthier, Sappy and a 2nd).

Enough with the Iggy trades, enough. The Flames will win and the Flames will win with Iginla, not without him. Look we trade him and get back Gagne and (maxed out) Woywitka? how does that give us MORE scoring? Trading Iginla to get us MORE goals is ridiculous, it's simply NOT going to happen. Extend him and get him a bit cheaper (like their were rumblings of before the season). We MUST rely on Iginla to score more, there is just nothing we can do with him except expect that.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:23 AM
Sec of Partying Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg dunlop

that is a ridiculous statement, how many goalies whether they are martin brodeur or roy are going to win many games when the offense scores an average of less than 2 goals a game.... goaltending is the least of the flames problems right now...
Lots of goalies if the Flames only allow 20 shots a game...

Old
11-09-2003, 06:14 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:

that is a ridiculous statement
Is it? What would be truly ridiculous would be having Jamie McLennan as a long-term solution if Roman Turek is out for an extended period of time.

Quote:
how many goalies whether they are martin brodeur or roy are going to win many games when the offense scores an average of less than 2 goals a game.... goaltending is the least of the flames problems right now...
Maybe this thought hasn't occurred to too many...but there just might be a connection between the popgun offense and lack of confidence in the backstop. For instance, if the Flames were opening up the offense more, this would sacrifice *some* team defense. More shots would get through, creating more quality scoring chances for the opposition.

The most extreme example of this was a few years back in Buffalo. Outside of Miro Satan & Michael Peca, the Sabres forwards hardly sent shockwaves around the NHL. What did frighten the opposition was Dominik Hasek. The Sabres could get with allowing 40+ shots/game because they knew that the Dominator got inside the shooters' heads, and come up with the big saves. That gave the entire team a lift.

Obviously, the Flames have nobody near that calibre, but when healthy, Turek should be able to reach 2/3rd's of Hasek's performance level. That would be enough to allow the offense to focus more on generating decent scoring opportunities, rather than worrying about how quickly to starting backchecking.

McLennan's given his all. Just don't let his GAA mislead you into believing that there's stellar goaltending in Calgary right now. Yeah, the Flames need goals...but there are players who are more than capable of providing offense, but they haven't done it this yet this year.

Old
11-09-2003, 07:16 AM
FLAMESFAN

I think you might have a point there BB. Same thing happened lastyear when Turek was hurt and McLennan was in net (no goals). They were getting shots on net (same as now), but just kept running into hot goalies. But maybe it's not the opposition goalies, but the confidence in the players being down when Turek is hurt?

Old
11-09-2003, 07:22 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Lafleur
FLAMESFAN? ..so your the one . :p
I can agree FlamesFan, take the Columbus game, we HAVE to win that game, 45-28 we outshoot them, I know Denis is good, but we scored 3 goals, we CAN'T afford to lose because Jody Shelley scored TWICE against us. Thats just throwing away points. Somebody has to step up and stop those goals from happening (not just the Shelley goals, but the others too) and McLennan would have been in the position to do that.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Devil
When your third and fourth lines are creating most of the offense(aside from that flurry in the third), your not going to win many hockey games. I understand why Saprykin was benched because of his give away last game, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DAVE LOWRY SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING ON THE SECOND FREAKING LINE!!!!!! I know our options are somewhat limited, but play somebody else there please. Lowry should be on the 4th line or in the press box. Reinprecht and Kobasew have potential, but they need someone who is not named Lowry playing with them. Put Gelinas there. Put Gelinas on the top line and bump McAmmond down to line two. Put Saprykin there. Call up Dome and put him there. Just don't use Lowry on a scoring line!!!!!!!
I seem to remember Conroy and Iginla scoring at a torrid pace in the last third of last season with Lowry on their scoring line.

Has that much changed in 6 months? He's not that bad of an option, he can dig the puck out for more skilled linemates. Dave Lowry is not the reason we're not scoring, Saprykin and company were also playing the Detroit game but you'll notice we were shut out in that one as well.

Old
11-10-2003, 09:53 AM
FLAMESFAN

Fact is we need new blood to kick start these guys.
Sure Saprykin may develop into a great player, but he doesn't help us much when he's benched, or playing on the forth line.
Saprykin and Gauthier could get us a quality top two line player that can help NOW.
Boy did Gauthier take a lickin' in yesterday's game, he's gotta be sore today!

Closed Thread