HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs - Pronger proposal

Old
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
Fido22

vCash: 500
Habs - Pronger proposal

Hello, I am new (well new to the site, I'm not really new). Thought I'd start things off with a proposal for the much coveted C. Pronger. To Montreal, why not.

To Edmonton:

S. Souray (pros: good PP dman, decent salary, can be physicaly intimidating, good character guy / cons: not the most solid defensive guy, lacks precision and creativity, too many highlight reals of him getting put to shame)

A. Perezhogin (pros: high offensive upside, good prospect / cons: still very uncertain how he will pan out)

M. Ryder (pros: settling in as a young 30 goal man / cons: don't know what he does right except the fact that he's settling in as a young 30 goal man in the NHL...must be something)

2nd round pick

To Montreal:

C. Pronger (pros: is The Man on D (well on of the few men)/ cons: he does make 6.5M$ a year for 4 years - although I agree that's good value, your team does have to want to tie their destiny to a high priofile D-man -well to this high profile d-man- for the near future)

E. Moreau (pros: good hard working guy. solid winger / cons: offensively limited numbers)

4rd round pick

I don't think anything like this will go down, but felt it was decent value wise. Edmonton are getting a solid top 4 d-man that can play a leading role on the PP, a young 30 goal scorer and a good prospect with lots of offensive upside. Montreal gets the stud d-man that can put that team over the top and a serviceable winger (they are trading two wingers away). Draft picks give an extra to EDM.

ok, let's have everybody rip this apart!

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

*Waits for everyone to bash the Habs and their fans*

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:00 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

I think all trade proposals with Edmonton should include players marital status.

By the way - I wouldn't do this trade if I was Lowe.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

Um, no. Kthxbi

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

I like it. Edmonton pleases Pronger while still getting good value in return (2 scorers + solid D-man). Montreal gets Pronger and some of the grit that they need.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:07 PM
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

There is no, and i mean NO, way that Moreau leaves. This town loves him more than life itself and it would be PR suicide

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Pronger doesn't want to go to Montreal.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Replace Souray with Markov and Perezhogin with Higgins and the Oilers still likely say no. But it would be closer.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:11 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

meh...

how about this from the Isles?

To NYI: D Chris Pronger

To EDM: D Alexei Zhitnik, D Denis Grebeshkov, W Jason Blake, 1st round pick

I think it works for Edmonton. They replace Pronger with a solid veteran defender. Sure, he's no Pronger, but who is that is available? In Grebeshkov they get a very skilled defender who has the potential to be a top-pairing guy(Ready to have a breakout year, IMO.) Blake gives them speedy, gritty, two-way winger who can play on the 2nd/3rd line, as well as both the PP and PK. One downside to Blake is, he hits UFA status next offseason I believe. The 1st round pick is a sweetner. Depending on the Isles progression next year, that pick could be a good one.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote
Replace Souray with Markov and Perezhogin with Higgins and the Oilers still likely say no. But it would be closer.
I'd say no as well.

I'd much rather keep Markov and Higgins.

Old
06-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
I think all trade proposals with Edmonton should include players marital status.
I think all NHL'ers who get married should insist on pre-nuptial agreements.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Gekko
Source?

I'm not doubting it, I'd just like a link.

Old
Artie

Quote:
So what exactly are you thinking this blank cheque known as Pronger is going to get you? Just out of curiosity.

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Fido22

Quote:
What if Montreal also includes the 1993 and 1977 Stanley Cups? Would the Oilers still likely say no? I don't think the Oilers would jump at this, but it would not be a light proposal. Might even be close, value wise, to what pronger goes for.

As I see it, the goal is to get Pronger without gutting your team....so that your team will be better, not worse after the trade. The trick is to do that and still give fair/good value for the player you will be getting.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Gekko
He would if he was single.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oil_slick9416*

Send a message via ICQ to Oil_slick9416* Send a message via MSN to Oil_slick9416*
a big no
thats really all there is to it.

Oil_slick9416* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilers_guy_eddie

I think I'd rank this behind the alleged Toronto offer of Kaberle and Stajan.

One strong point for the Toronto offer is that Kaberle is locked up long-term. I believe Souray becomes a UFA in 2007, and Ryder will be 27 next summer as well, so if he signs a short contract then he could be gone quickly as well. The Oilers are trading away 4 years of Chris Pronger, so I'd like to get a return that'll be around for more than a season or 2.

Perezhogin's interesting, and I'm not sure how much upside he has.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan15
Source?

I'm not doubting it, I'd just like a link.

I don't have a link. It's in one of the many Pronger articles floating around. He said that he only wanted to be traded to the US...and then his agent went on to say that he considered Toronto to be 'American' enough to be included.

So, Toronto is the only option in Canada.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:24 PM
MathMan

Normally I'd figure any deal involving Pronger to Mtl would have to include Markov... except Souray would be local in Edmonton, and I understand he is popular there. That might sway things a bit.

Or Markov + Souray + stuff might be a good beginning. But all in all I don't see Montreal making a serious pitch even if Pronger weren't opposed.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie
So what exactly are you thinking this blank cheque known as Pronger is going to get you? Just out of curiosity.
I'm not an Oiler fan. Any team wanting to get Pronger is likely going to have to give up one of their top 2 or 3 players and a top end d-man would be a real good start.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Darth Milbury

The Toronto Star reported that the Leafs had offered Stajan and Kaberle, and the Oil had countered by asking for Steen and Kaberle. I think both packages give up a clue to the ultimate trade price: A legitimate #1 dman and a very good young player.

I honestly don't see much that approach the Leaf's offer. Kaberle is a true #1, locked up for four years at an extremely reasonable rate. Stajan is an underrated young player who any team would love to have.

If the Oilers got Steen instead of Stajan, that would be an extremley difficult offer to top.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:28 PM
Cerebral

Any deal between Montreal and Edmonton for Pronger would likely start with Markov and go from there. Ryder is the other guy I can really see the Oilers being interested in.

Cerebral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:30 PM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

I'd much rather the Habs sign a UFA than gut the team to get Pronger. If we were close to stanley cup contenders, and Pronger was the final piece of the puzzle, but not now. Pass.

loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:32 PM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360
how about this from the Isles?

To NYI: D Chris Pronger

To EDM: D Alexei Zhitnik, D Denis Grebeshkov, W Jason Blake, 1st round pick

I think it works for Edmonton. They replace Pronger with a solid veteran defender. Sure, he's no Pronger, but who is that is available? In Grebeshkov they get a very skilled defender who has the potential to be a top-pairing guy(Ready to have a breakout year, IMO.) Blake gives them speedy, gritty, two-way winger who can play on the 2nd/3rd line, as well as both the PP and PK. One downside to Blake is, he hits UFA status next offseason I believe. The 1st round pick is a sweetner. Depending on the Isles progression next year, that pick could be a good one.

I would pass if I was Lowe. Lowe is a character guy and really like players similar to him in this area. I am not a big fan of Zhitnik but over I can see where you are coming from but Blake will not he an oiler. He is a cancer in the dressing room, no one likes him, his team mates don't stick up for him on the ice. Non starter with him. Nilson on the other hand is worth talking about.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Rickety Cricket

Is Prongers wife really worth it, he's a rich athlete he can find himself an Edmonton girl

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote