HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Review

Old
06-25-2006, 09:02 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Draft Review

I hope this wasnt posted.
http://hockeysfuture.com/article.php...readed&order=0

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 09:32 PM
znk

Verry nice article. That's what I like...seeing the thought process.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Physical HABuse

Well.....I also like to see the reasoning behind some of these picks. I have to say though, it is pretty amazing that we picked up 3 guys that on many lists were 1st rounders. Hopefully, we've made up for perhaps overlooking some other guys in previous drafts that other teams were smart enough to pick up after us.....not that we've done all that bad in those drafts either.
I like how they picked up some grit with potential skill too.

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
whens the development camp?

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 12:09 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
“We want to get our fingerprints on them as soon as we can!”

Good read.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Habsurd

This kind of article is exactly what I crave.(Last year I found an article w Timmins explanations like this but never saved it and could never find it again!!)

Can't help but wonder what all those fans who discuss who Mtl should and shouldn't draft (and then 2nd guess our scouts and whine on etc. as if they have a clue!!) think when they read the straight goods on why the Habs drafted who they did............you all know who you are.

Good job Habs.Any time you can get 3 of your top 30-40 ranked guys so soon...up to White.....I say good job. And thanks Mtl for making grit an important factor in your decisions !! Now go and sign Arnott...Langenbrunner and Grier in July !!!

Habsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 12:32 AM
Habbadasher

Good read, yes.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 12:42 AM
znk

You know....now that I have time to think about it. Getting a 2nd round pick for going from 16th to 20th spot and still gettign the guy they wanted....that's just brilliant. We really got a 2nd round pick for free.
Imagine the outcry if the habs had given their 2nd pick to move from 20th to 16th!

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 01:33 AM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Zednik
whens the development camp?
it's somewhere in mid-July

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Physical HABuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
You know....now that I have time to think about it. Getting a 2nd round pick for going from 16th to 20th spot and still gettign the guy they wanted....that's just brilliant. We really got a 2nd round pick for free.
Imagine the outcry if the habs had given their 2nd pick to move from 20th to 16th!

That's a good way of putting it into perspective.

Physical HABuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 07:32 AM
Toro

is it me or does it seem that Timmins is a great head scout and has been doing a great job ever since he started.

May U bring the habs many ,many great players to make a Dynasty again!!

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 07:44 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
Not only that but he moves the opposite direction in order to get White and this move will also pay big time. The first move got us Maxwell and the second White. That was, is and will be pure genious!!!!

The only questions marks right now are on 3 guys. Valentenko and Cepek who anyway, we will not expect a lot from them so even if they become good AHL'er for our farm team, it will be good. But Carle, well we will see. Maybe being picked by the Habs will give some extra boost to the guy to become the player he's supposed to become.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-26-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Talent Analyst

Nice Article HF !

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 10:35 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro
is it me or does it seem that Timmins is a great head scout and has been doing a great job ever since he started.

May U bring the habs many ,many great players to make a Dynasty again!!

I think Timmins is fighting for his job, and this will be his last tenure with Montreal.

At least, I hope so.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 11:25 AM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs
I think Timmins is fighting for his job, and this will be his last tenure with Montreal.

At least, I hope so.
And your opinion is based on what exactly? Timmins and Savard have done as good a job as any organization in identifying and selecting players. A marked improvement over Dorion and co...

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
And your opinion is based on what exactly? Timmins and Savard have done as good a job as any organization in identifying and selecting players. A marked improvement over Dorion and co...
Drafting Kostitsyn and Price was enough for me to give up on Timmins. We passed over some serious talent, Timmins hasn't impressed me that much.

Which talent do you feel Timmins stole? I'm curious why you are impressed with the work he's done.

Old
06-26-2006, 02:54 PM
BJCOLLINS

are you just kicking sand in Timmins face?

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 02:54 PM
TroyM

Quote:
Drafting Kostitsyn and Price was enough for me to give up on Timmins. We passed over some serious talent, Timmins hasn't impressed me that much.

Which talent do you feel Timmins stole? I'm curious why you are impressed with the work he's done.
People will never be happy. Look at our top 20, it's full of interesting prospects near the bottom to amazing ones at the top, I don't understand the complaints. I think the consensus is that we have an awesome group of prospects, a team filled with youngsters, and a team that is so close to competing for the cup. Higgins and Plekanec and Komisarek stepped up BIG TIME this year, they were great, Perezhogin was good, and that's not even touching the top 20 and the guys we have there ready to break in soon.

I personally love our prospects and where the organization is going, and I think the scouting has been very good lately. There have definitely have made some misses, but all in all we've got a great crop, and Timmins and company is a big part of that.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 03:29 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

WE cannot say that Kots WONT be a 40 goal man and we cant say Price will not be a Vezina winner and we cant say Brule wont need a wheel chair ramp. Maybe you are confusing Hossa with Kots.

Old
06-26-2006, 04:13 PM
Duster

Quote:

Well, neither Kostitsyn, Chipchura or Price was a big reach in terms of talent or draft standing. Having seen Price and Chipchura play a number of times, I think the Habs did quite well.

What stands out, imo, is the work done after the first round. Tell me, without the benefit of hindsight, who would you have chosen over Halak, Grabovski, S. Kostitsyn, Aubin, and so on? Who would you have picked in the fifth round this year? Is White worth a third and a fourth? Is Latendresse a good selection? Giroux worth 22nd overall?

I make no claim that Timmins "stole " anyone. Merely that he and Savard have done a competent job so far

Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 05:32 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM
People will never be happy. Look at our top 20, it's full of interesting prospects near the bottom to amazing ones at the top, I don't understand the complaints. I think the consensus is that we have an awesome group of prospects, a team filled with youngsters, and a team that is so close to competing for the cup. Higgins and Plekanec and Komisarek stepped up BIG TIME this year, they were great, Perezhogin was good, and that's not even touching the top 20 and the guys we have there ready to break in soon.

I personally love our prospects and where the organization is going, and I think the scouting has been very good lately. There have definitely have made some misses, but all in all we've got a great crop, and Timmins and company is a big part of that.
Give our scouts in Europe, and the WHL credit where its due, because they find the hidden gems deep in the draft.

I'm never said we have a weak set of prospects, however it could be much better with a little more homework from Timmins & company.

Price may work out, but there is not one common agreement he's a sure-fire NHL goaltender. The talent we passed over to take a goaltender is frightening, because these picks can't be gambled away.

I feel its his last kick at the can.

Old
06-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster
Well, neither Kostitsyn, Chipchura or Price was a big reach in terms of talent or draft standing. Having seen Price and Chipchura play a number of times, I think the Habs did quite well.

What stands out, imo, is the work done after the first round. Tell me, without the benefit of hindsight, who would you have chosen over Halak, Grabovski, S. Kostitsyn, Aubin, and so on? Who would you have picked in the fifth round this year? Is White worth a third and a fourth? Is Latendresse a good selection? Giroux worth 22nd overall?

I make no claim that Timmins "stole " anyone. Merely that he and Savard have done a competent job so far
I watched both Price and Chipchura play a number of times as well. Neither stood out .. certainly Price's situation is a tad different being hung out to dry night after night.

Who would I have drafted in 2005? Without a doubt, Marc Staal. In 2004 Rob Schremp. 2003 Seabrook , Parise or Carter .. all available but again Timmins misses the boat. Its not one player, its 3 players who they miss out on completely without learning a thing from previous years of drafting.

While Timmins has done a decent job, the entire organization should give its head a shake and re-examine just exactly what they are doing for the future. Drafting the best player available? Nope. Drafting for team needs? Nope.

Regarding Latendresse, he really hasn't impressed anyone. He received 6 minutes (or so) of ice-time for Team Canada, so how can I give that a nod?

Price never made the cut, which is disappointing to say the least.

I'm not trying to bash the man's skillset entirely, but how can anyone be thrilled with his overall performance is baffling. Satisfied? Perhaps. Thrilled? Nah.

My complaints go back years, it doesn't appear the team is changing its draft performance.

Old
06-26-2006, 06:06 PM
Taupy

Quote:
I watched both Price and Chipchura play a number of times as well. Neither stood out .. certainly Price's situation is a tad different being hung out to dry night after night.

Who would I have drafted in 2005? Without a doubt, Marc Staal. In 2004 Rob Schremp. 2003 Seabrook , Parise or Carter .. all available but again Timmins misses the boat. Its not one player, its 3 players who they miss out on completely without learning a thing from previous years of drafting.

While Timmins has done a decent job, the entire organization should give its head a shake and re-examine just exactly what they are doing for the future. Drafting the best player available? Nope. Drafting for team needs? Nope.

Regarding Latendresse, he really hasn't impressed anyone. He received 6 minutes (or so) of ice-time for Team Canada, so how can I give that a nod?

I'm not trying to bash the man's skillset entirely, but how can anyone be thrilled with his overall performance is baffling. Satisfied? Perhaps. Thrilled? Nah.

My complaints go back years, it doesn't appear the team is changing its draft performance.

You're a funny guy.

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2006, 06:08 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

The only mystifying pick is chipchura. He just doesnt have the speed.

Old
06-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

I, for one, am happy with the job Timmins and Savard and co. since they're part of the organization. Before them, it was kind of frightening to see our prospect depth... do you remember these times Habs ? I do.

In 2001, I was hoping for Ruutu or Sjostrom for the 8th, and for the 25th I wanted Matthew Spiller
In 2002, I wanted Babchuk
In 2003, my pick was Getzlaf
In 2004, it was Chipchura, so I was happy
In 2005, it was Brule, who was picked right after Price... I was mad, but hey what do I know ?!

And I'll repeat that, what do I know ?? Nearly nothing in drafting, just what I read here since 2001.

But the guys drafting know what they do, they draft talent, with the hypothesis that they will develop the way they think and hope they will.

I personnaly believe them when they say they drafted their BPA. Why wouldn't I ? Because, what do I know ??

This draft review is well written, and has insight from Timmins, that's what I like. At first, I wasn't sure about Fischer, but thought it was a nice pick, was happy with Maxwell, doubtful about Carle (I wanted Strait or Joensuu), VERY happy with White, with Valentenko and thought that it was a good gamble with Cepek on the 7th round.

In 2006, first round, I wanted Chris Stewart... but hey, get the thrend ?

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote