HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sirius radio NHL trade talk?

Old
06-28-2006, 10:57 AM
ladybugblue

vCash: 500
Sirius radio NHL trade talk?

I am travelling by car this long weekend. Anyone with Sirius radio know what channels would have the most NHL trade talk? I know they had NHL live but it is gone now and I am not sure how much would be discussed on ESPN radio or ESPNews channels. Any suggestions?

ladybugblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 11:26 AM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybugblue
Any suggestions?
Buy XM radio

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 11:38 AM
ZenGoalie

XM-yuck.

I don't think you have much more choice as far as the ESPN channels, but you could try flipping between 120, 121, 122, 123 (ESPN Radio, ESPNEWS, SportsByline USA, and Sirius Sports Action).

ZenGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 12:30 PM
OpAck

I'm assuming Sirius stops NHL Live when the season ends. I thought that was a year round show, but I guess not. I do have XM, and I know some of the sports channels are the same (ESPNNews, ESPN Radio, among others). Hockey talk is hit or miss on those channels, but mostly miss. I did hear some draft talk on ESPN radio on Monday, and ESPNNews will typically run by the top NHL headlines of the day, but won't go into much detail.

You may not care to hear it (and Leaf Lander will probably grind his teeth), but XM is the way to go in terms of hockey. XM's NHL talk channel is year round talk. Obviously, it's difficult to fill 10-12 hours a day with NHL talk programming in the offseason, so they've spent a few hours airing old Stanley Cup Final games (I heard the Montreal-LA 93 final the other day, it was a pleasant surprise!). It's even nice having both services...if your wallet is too heavy.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Devilsin4*

Sirius sucks. All it has is a washed up, boring Howard Stern show. Xm 204 is a great station that talks hockey all year round including rumors, interviews, and talk show hosts that actually take callers and talk hockey with them.

I listened to Sirius so called hockey channel which has a 2 hour hockey block(thats a great hockey station). On this station the 2 guys spent 30 minutes of their 2 hours fooling around, it was so embarrassing.

Devilsin4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 02:07 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

not to start another sirius v. xm debate, but xm is the way to go for trade talk. xm204 has a ninety second recap every 20 minutes or so and i would imagine that they're taking this weekend pretty seriously.

good luck trying to get nhl trade updates on espnradio on the weekend. you'll be lucky if they stop hyping the nba draft/knicks talk long enough to mispronounce zdeno chara's name when he signs whereever he signs.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 02:33 PM
X0ssbar

I have every intention of picking up XM this year specifically for their hockey station. I'm sold.

X0ssbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 02:43 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by the max
not to start another sirius v. xm debate, but xm is the way to go for trade talk. xm204 has a ninety second recap every 20 minutes or so and i would imagine that they're taking this weekend pretty seriously.

good luck trying to get nhl trade updates on espnradio on the weekend. you'll be lucky if they stop hyping the nba draft/knicks talk long enough to mispronounce zdeno chara's name when he signs whereever he signs.
ESPN is notorious for the mispronounciations. Some of the few mispronounciations I've heard over the past few years...Serge Samsonov, Pavel Demmit-tra, Pierre Tur-jin, Tomas Ka-burl, and even crediting Cliff Ronning with an Islanders' goal 5 months after he stopped playing.

Old
06-28-2006, 02:47 PM
Transported Upstater

Are you sirius?

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAckTool
ESPN is notorious for the mispronounciations. Some of the few mispronounciations I've heard over the past few years...Serge Samsonov, Pavel Demmit-tra, Pierre Tur-jin, Tomas Ka-burl, and even crediting Cliff Ronning with an Islanders' goal 5 months after he stopped playing.

Transported Upstater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 04:43 PM
bleedgreen

i love my xm, not just for hockey. if youre a hockey freak, its reason enough to get it - i listen to the hockey talk every day. the music is great too, i cant see sirius being any better.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 04:57 PM
kenabnrmal

Doing everything I can to resist getting yanked into another hopeless, stupid xm vs. sirius debate, and try answering the question the lady actually asked.

Unfortunately, there isn't much chance of finding anything for NHL trade rumors on sirius right now. They had the NHL Live show, and despite what xm-fanboy's will say they did a nice job of it, but it's done now that the NHL is done. If you do find anything, let me know, because I'm dying for some.

(gets dragged back into the debate)

Now, even despite the lack of hockey (and I'm a complete hockey freak), I wouldn't trade Sirius for anything. Having listened to both at length, for me XM doesn't come close to Sirius music-wise. Maybe Sirius just nails my personal tastes better, but I was quite disappointed with xm. I may have to go with both system's someday, considering the price for subscription isn't too high for either, and I have a long commute. However, wanted to shed an alternative light on the xm vs. sirius discussion.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 05:51 PM
HBK27

Is the NHL Live Show even coming back to Sirius? I'm pretty sure that XM has exclusive rights to NHL games starting next season, so Sirius may not even have a show dedicated just to the NHL.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 05:51 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAckTool
on the bottom line, they had colorado v. (whoever) and featured aebischer's stats on the season as the starting goalie for colorado three weeks after he was traded.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 06:21 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27
Is the NHL Live Show even coming back to Sirius? I'm pretty sure that XM has exclusive rights to NHL games starting next season, so Sirius may not even have a show dedicated just to the NHL.
I'd be certain that the NHL Live show will return in October. Sirius has one more year with the NHL, after that, it's exclusive to XM for a long time. At that point, I doubt Sirius would continue with that live show if they're not even covering the games.

Old
06-28-2006, 06:35 PM
Devilsin4*

I followed Howard Stern to Sirius in January and about a month later I came to my senses and realized Howard is lame now. I really wanted to listen to hockey talk but I found nothing on Sirius. I then read about XM having a station totally dedicated to the NHL and MLB(my 2 favorite sports) so I bought it and I love it.

The only reason people know about Sirius is because of Howard Stern, if Howard went to XM, Sirius would cease to exist.

If you are a hockey fan, and if your on this board I assume you are, then get XM over Sirius. I was listening the other day and they were going over every team and who they might sign, one of the guys said Peca and Mckee really wanna play with Ted Nolan on the Island. XM 204 is a great station.

Devilsin4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 06:43 PM
ladybugblue

Thanks for the info...thought it would be pretty pointless on Sirius. Unfortunately I got Sirius before XM got the NHL rights so I would have gone that way had I known. Oh well...I guess I will try and checks things out online in the evening...

ladybugblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2006, 11:45 PM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsin4

The only reason people know about Sirius is because of Howard Stern, if Howard went to XM, Sirius would cease to exist.
Jesus f'ing cripes, these Sirius vs. XM threads result in some of the most ignorant posts these boards have ever seen. Worse even than the dreaded "NHL2K* vs NHL200*" debates.

kenabnrmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2006, 01:21 AM
oh_canuck

try serious sports I think its on 183 it is really the Channel the Score on radio

oh_canuck is offline   Reply With Quote